Egyptian dies in UK fire

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Egyptian dies in UK fire

Post by newcastle »

MPs say UK handling of 'killing' of Egyptian in London exposes Western double standardEgyptian MPs said that there were clear double standards in dealing with the murder of an Italian student in Cairo and the 'killing' of an Egyptian man in London

A large number of Egyptian MPs denounced what they called "Western double standards" over the contrast in dealing with the murder of an Italian student in Cairo last January and the 'killing' of an Egyptian man in London on 19 April.
The Conservatives Party, led by businessman Akram Qortam, said in a statement on Wednesday that Egyptian citizen Sherif Adel Habib was "savagely murdered" in London and that "British authorities have a duty to bring the culprits to justice."

The statement also stressed that Egyptian authorities are required to take all measures necessary to protect the lives of Egyptians living abroad.

The British government has opened an investigation to determine the circumstances of the death of Habib. London said on Wednesday it is cooperating with Cairo to solve the case.

The party attacked British intelligence authorities for their seemingly "genius" ability to know the circumstances behind the death of Italian student Giulio Regeni in Cairo while failing to uncover the mystery surrounding Habib's death.

Omar Hashish, a leading official with the Conservatives Party, said that British intelligence and security authorities caused heavy damage to Egypt's tourism industry by asserting "too early" that a Russian plane that crashed in Sinai last year was caused by a terrorist attack.

Hashish also condemned the assertion by Western media that Regeni was killed at the hands of Egyptian police.

He challenged the UK to use their "genius" to solve Habib's "murder", as well as the deaths of other Egyptians in Britain including Souad Hosni – a renowned actress who was found dead in London in 2001 – and Ashraf Marawan – a high profile Nasser-era official who was also found dead in London in 2007.

The Conservatives Party statement charged that there was a clear double standard in the Western and European approach to death cases based on the victims' nationality.

Dalia Youssef, deputy chairman of the committee, told reporters that "the repeated killings of Egyptians in European capitals – especially London – should sound alarm bells

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... -Lond.aspx

If it wasn't for the fact that this involves the death of a young man. the ludicrous ranting of the Egyptian MP's would be laughable.

Omar Hashish??? :a61: .......yes...well!

God help Egypt if this is the calibre of those charged with making rational policy.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Re: Egyptian dies in UK fire

Post by Major Thom »

Goodness me!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

I have a huge respect for the forces of law & order in the UK, they are pretty good at solving crimes and catching people.
If to be believed by all the British TV Detective series.
No-doubt there are 'sleuths at this very moment trying to solve these crimes.
Far be it from me to denigrate the words spoken by a Minister who's Police Force seem to be fairly inept at solving anything....8)
Ps: Mind You, If one reads Red Handed in The Egyptian Gazette the miscreants always admit their heinous crimes.

Comes to mind the cry of lament of Hermes Trismegistus (Thoth):
"O Egypt, Egypt..darkness will be preferred to light...the madman will be thought sane, and the wicked will be esteemed as good...and so the (ancient gods) will depart, and only evil angels will remain who will mingle with men, and drive the poor wretches by main force into all manners of reckless crimes, into wars, and robberies, and frauds, and all things hostile to the nature of the soul."
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

To stop all suspicion and assumptions, here is an idea and applies to all Countries across the world. If a foreigner is killed, murdered or severely injured in another Country, why not send a high Ranking Police Officer to the Country where their national has been offended, so they can both follow and help the investigation. They can then report back to their Country and inform those involved.
For example a high ranking Police Officer could attend the investigation into the death of an Egyptian on British soil, an Italian Officer could come to Egypt to attend the investigation of one of their nationals etc etc. At the end of the day, these officers are all interested in bringing the offender to justice.
I see nothing wrong in this, and speculation and assumptions would be way laid.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

This already happens...particularly between European countries.

But countries like Egypt would be very reticent about allowing any foreign oversight of their security processes.

Would it stop speculation and assumptions? I very much doubt it!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

It's amazing how many locals know about this incident....8)
Ps: More tuned in than our ex-plod on the Hillsborough disaster..
Quote: "For example a high ranking Police Officer could attend the investigation into the death of an Egyptian on British soil.
"So long as it's not the The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:It's amazing how many locals know about this incident....8)
Ps: More tuned in than our ex-plod on the Hillsborough disaster..
Quote: "For example a high ranking Police Officer could attend the investigation into the death of an Egyptian on British soil.
"So long as it's not the The Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police.
Not surprising. The Egyptian media are milking it for all it's worth :urm:
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Surely if it happens across Europe then the invitation should be across the world. If cooperation between Countries regarding this type of incident were closer and joint investigations were in place then surely the Countries would be closer. Am i just being a dreamer?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As regards Egypt you are!