Temple of Hatshepsut

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Temple of Hatshepsut

Post by Brian Yare »

There is some kind of "event" this evening at 7pm at the Temple of Hatshepsut, Deir el Bahri. Last night they were playing with spotlights so I suspect that it may be a sound and light show or something similar.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Temple of Hatshepsut

Post by Brian Yare »

This was to do with LAAF, but not in the main programme. A lot of loud music and a light-show. At the RRH the volume was quite acceptable. I would not have liked to have been much closer!
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Egypt....and particularly Luxor.....does have some amazing backdrops for photoshoots, videos etc. etc.

You'd think there would be opportunities to make money....although the 'powers that be' are probably too anal when it comes to such matters.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:Egypt....and particularly Luxor.....does have some amazing backdrops for photoshoots, videos etc. etc.

You'd think there would be opportunities to make money....although the 'powers that be' are probably too anal when it comes to such matters.
I agree with you one this one newcastle, but they would have to make certain there was no litter on show otherwise MT would be down on them like a tonne of bricks. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by Brian Yare »

Dusak wrote:
newcastle wrote:Egypt....and particularly Luxor.....does have some amazing backdrops for photoshoots, videos etc. etc.

I agree with you one this one newcastle, but they would have to make certain there was no litter on show otherwise MT would be down on them like a tonne of bricks. :lol:
Are you suggesting that MT discards his unwanted bricks at Deir el-Bahri?
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Video of The full ceremony of luxor african film festival -part 1 ‪#‎LAFF2016‬
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Watched the first 30 mins.....grim.

Ive seen better in hotel cabaret shows for tourists.

A dull dance troupe ftom upper Egypt, tanour...really. Is this the best on offer?

Whoever produced the show should be shot.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

................and to think that so many have believed that this was the Mortuary Temple of Hatchepsuit, rather than the venue of the ancient theatre for the celebration for the Festival of the Beautiful Valley.

Let us, one and all celebrate that fact. :wi .
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:................and to think that so many have believed that this was the Mortuary Temple of Hatchepsuit, rather than the venue of the ancient theatre for the celebration for the Festival of the Beautiful Valley.

Let us, one and all celebrate that fact. :wi .
I think you mean the Beautiful Festival of the Valley (heb nefer en inet) rather than the Festival of the Beautiful Valley.

Nomenclature is such a tricky area, especially in regard to temples. :P

I fear we're stuck with mortuary for Deir el Bahari although the cult of Hatshepsut (if one takes that as the defining aspect of a mortuary temple) was only celebrated in a small chapel in the uppermost part. There's a similar issue with the temple of Seti I at Abydos.

It's hard to find a reference book (even by eminent egyptologists) description of Deir el Bahari which doesn't call it a mortuary temple although its function seems to have ranged far more widely.

Jane Akshar had a go at separating the terms mortuary and cult/memorial.....but fails to convince.
http://www.flatsinluxor.co.uk/egyptolog ... y-temples/

With the divine and earthly aspects of the pharaoh so intertwined it's a brave (dare I say, pedantic) man who pontificates too much on the distinction.

I will try to refer to Deir el Bahari as Hapshepsut's mansion of a million years or even Djeser Djeseru in future visits and avoid the issue....although I suspect the latter term will be meaningless to your average tourist :lol:
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote: Ive seen better in hotel cabaret shows for tourists.

A dull dance troupe ftom upper Egypt, tanour...
The famous Reda Troupe is an important part of Egyptian cultural history. The Mahmoud Reda style dance that I saw in the video, choreographed by the wonderful Mona Mostapha is a dance theatre interpretation of Saidi, but the troupe has been based in Cairo for more than fifty years.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

BENNU wrote:
newcastle wrote: Ive seen better in hotel cabaret shows for tourists.

A dull dance troupe ftom upper Egypt, tanour...
The famous Reda Troupe is an important part of Egyptian cultural history. The Mahmoud Reda style dance that I saw in the video, choreographed by the wonderful Mona Mostapha is a dance theatre interpretation of Saidi, but the troupe has been based in Cairo for more than fifty years.
I suppose I'm viewing it through the eyes of a tourist rather than an aficionado of folkloric dance. 8) :sd:

I take your word that they're the best....and I dare say the harpist and xylophone players too .

Was there a belly dancer :bd: after the tanoura?

Been there.....got the T-shirt :wi
BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by BENNU »

newcastle wrote:
BENNU wrote:
newcastle wrote:A dull dance troupe ftom upper Egypt, tanour...
The famous Reda Troupe is an important part of Egyptian cultural history.
Was there a belly dancer :bd: after the tanoura?

Been there.....got the T-shirt :wi
A bellydancer in a Reda show!?!!!! Never! :stp
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I wonder how JA came across that idea in 2010, a little before your time on here Newcastle.

Anyhow JA and I are friends nowadays, well we will be once she buys that drink she promised me a few years ago now, and no JA, I don't drink bottled beer like you, so a bottle of vino will do. :wi .