Fatal Shark Attack off Marsa Alam

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Fatal Shark Attack off Marsa Alam

Post by newcastle »

A 52-year-old German tourist was attacked by a shark on Saturday, as he was swimming in the Red Sea in Marsa Alam area.

The resort notified the police about the incident, and the victim's body was transferred to Al-Qusier Hospital, to be later received by the German Embassy.

In 2010, a series of "unprecedented" shark attacks took place in another Red Sea resort, Sharm el-Sheikh. On 1 December, three Russians and one Ukranian tourist were seriously injured and on 5 December a German woman was killed, when they were attacked while snorkelling near the shoreline.

In response, Helmy Bedir, an advisor to the Egyptian tourism minister, stated that the Egyptian government would pay US$50,000 in compensation to the Russian shark attack victims.

The incidents have reportedly caused a 20% decrease in the amount of tourists from Russia, according to Nadezhda Nazina, the Russian deputy minister of sports and tourism.

The compensation paid if it was an Egyptian victim would be rather less :urm:

Luxor Pharoahs

Re: Fatal Shark Attack off Marsa Alam

Post by Luxor Pharoahs »

Goodness it never rains but how it pours when it comes to tourism!
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It's them blooming Israeli's and their trained sharks again.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

More details of the shark attack:

Accident in the Bay Coraya
It was probably a mako shark that attacked on Saturday a snorkeling in the bay of coraya and seriously injured by a bite in the leg. Alarmed by the cries for help, and a few seconds later was a Zodiac to place. The crew tried to save the injured snorkelers, when the shark had zubissen a second time, witnesses said. The snorkeling was rushed to a nearby hospital, but died, according to official figures, due to massive blood loss on the way there.
Attacks by sharks on humans are extremely rare in Egypt. As the news magazine Focus reported at all, only five people were killed in front of the Egyptian coastal sharks in the last 100 years. In comparison, elephant attacks cost in Africa each year approximately 200 lives. Hippos kill annually allegedly up to 2000 people in Africa. Statements according to which it regularly come to shark attacks in the Red Sea, as that is peddled in connection with the shark attack in southern Egypt by German tabloids actually baseless.
Makos are rare
The last fatal Anangriff there had been five years ago before Sharm el Sheik. At that time a Oceanic whitetip shark had attacked and killed a German pensioner. Later had certainly made out that the shark had been lured by the forbidden disposal of animal carcasses by a ship.
Apparently a Mako was responsible for the attack before coraya. This shark species is indeed represented in the Red Sea, but significantly less than about Oceanic whitetip shark or hammerhead shark. Makos are pelagic sharks. Although they are potentially dangerous, but rarely come so close to the coast. The Bay of coraya is also not very large, but relatively deep. It is not clear whether it is in the accident to a potentially unprovoked attack or just a terrible accident.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Sharks seem to like Germans, must be the lingering taste of bratwurst.. :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Who2 wrote:Sharks seem to like Germans, must be the lingering taste of bratwurst.. :cool:

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))
Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Yildez wrote:
Who2 wrote:Sharks seem to like Germans, must be the lingering taste of bratwurst.. :cool:

:))) :))) :))) :))) :)))
Someone has been killed Who2 and Yildez!
Is that really a cause for such celebration and hilarity?

Shame on you!
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

So seeing death as often as you do removes your sense of humour. Not the case for paramedics I'm happy to say… :cool:
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

A rich millionaire decides to throw a massive party for his 50th birthday, so during this party he grabs the microphone and he announces to his guests that down in the garden of his mansion he has a swimming pool with two great white sharks in it. 'I will give anything they desire of mine, to the man who swims across that pool.' So the party continues with no events in the pool, until suddenly, there is a great splash and all the guests of the party run to the pool to see what has happened. In the pool is a man and he is swimming as hard as he can, and the fins come out of the water and the jaws are snapping and this guy just keeps on going and the sharks are gaining on him and this guy reaches the end and he gets out of the pool, tired and soaked. The millionaire grabs the microphone and says, 'I am a man of my word, anything of mine I will give, my Ferraris, my house, absolutely anything, for you are the bravest man I have ever seen. So sir what will it be?' the millionaire asks. The guy grabs the microphone and says, 'Why don't we start with the name of the bas***d that pushed me in!' ….. :cool:
Ps: It could have been worse, I could have told one about the Catholic Priests being eaten by sharks!
Last edited by Who2 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sophocles.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Sod it! here we go…..
When their ship sank a Benedictine, a Dominican, a Franciscan, and a Jesuit were crowded into a small lifeboat. It had a small leak and was in ever greater danger of sinking. Unfortunately, the boat was also surrounded by sharks.

So the Dominican, confident in the preaching prowess of his order, stood on the prow and begin to preach to the sharks about Christian charity and the virtues of vegetarianism; but his sermon was cut short by a leaping shark who consumed him in one gulp.

Then the Benedictine stood on the prow and began to charm the sharks with a stupendous rendition of the Exsultet, but just when he got to the part about the mother bee (mater apis) another shark dispatched him with a single gulp.

Shortly thereafter the Franciscan, climbing onto the prow, began to pray, "Blessed are you, Lord my God, for brother shark,..." when one of the sister sharks cut him off in mid-benediction.

Soon the lifeboat sank, leaving the Jesuit in the water with the sharks. But instead of eating him, several sharks towed him to shore and cast him up on the dry land. Stunned, he turned to ask them why they had not devoured him. They replied, "Professional courtesy!"….. :cool:
Sophocles.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A lot of people have been campaigning for sharks to be culled after a series of attacks on people.

It's worth remembering that more people are bitten every year by homeless people in New York City alone than by sharks all over the world.

Mind you, I've never seen a homeless person bite someone in half at the waist.

Not since I moved away from Glasgow, anyway. ;))