FCO warning re Iran

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

FCO warning re Iran

Post by crewmeal »

Just had an email regarding the situation in Iran. I sincerely hope this doesn't affect tourism in Egypt.
Latest update: Summary – Following the death of Iranian General Qasem Soleimani in a US strike in Baghdad on 3 January, British nationals in the region should remain vigilant and keep up to date with the latest developments, including via the media and this travel advice.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: FCO warning re Iran

Post by newcastle »

Highly unlikely that the Iranian squabble will impact on Egypt. The FCO isn’t even advising against travel to the much nearer Dubai.

More imponderable is the sabre- rattling over Turkish intentions in Libya.

Egypt frequently boasts of its military might - the biggest army in the region - and is itching to deploy it........hopefully with more success than it has demonstrated in the Sinai. :lol:

Any country at war is bound to see its tourism suffer.
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Yes I got the notification too, like Newcastle I don't think it will impact too much here but who knows what Trump will do next.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:41 am Yes I got the notification too, like Newcastle I don't think it will impact too much here but who knows what Trump will do next.
Indeed!

Loose canon springs to mind.

He’s the classic schoolroom bully. It’s all about presenting himself as the alpha male....and if innocent civilians suffer as a consequence, who cares. Certainly not Trump and his sycophantic groupies.

Now he’s bullying Iraq, threatening sanctions if they don’t do what he wants and accommodate his troops. He has no regard for the sensibilities of sovereign states.

And, of course, he can rely on the abject compliance of his poodle in No. 10.
HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God
United Kingdom

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There was a noticeable drop in Luxor / Nile Cruise Tourist numbers in the early part of 2003 because of the situation in ...erm was it Iran or Iraq, or was it Iran vs Iraq... at the time.
I remember a number of my friends, in various parts of the Luxor tourist industry, bemoaning the fact that tourism had finally built up again after the Hatsheput massacre, and now people had been cancelling their holidays. May boats were laid up (yes, I know they have been for years) all along the Cornich, and boats that were sailing had very few guests on board.
Too many people see the news on TV and, being ignorant of world geography, panic rather than checking things out for themselves.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well there are enough of them here at the moment. Every where you go there's these rarely sighted (in the past) strange people wandering about.
I thought numbers would fall off after Christmas and the New Year but no, hoards of them.
newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:20 am Well there are enough of them here at the moment. Every where you go there's these rarely sighted (in the past) strange people wandering about.
I thought numbers would fall off after Christmas and the New Year but no, hoards of them.
A result of Egypt being off the radar for a while now!

Of course all the social problems remain and thousands of dissidents languish in prison....but tourists either don’t know or don’t care about these issues . :lol: The sea is warm, the sun shines and the monuments are still standing...just.

Sisi keeps rattling a stick at Turkey’s interfere in Libya...and loads of Egyptians - on social media at least - would love to go to war with Ethiopia and bomb their dam. Any nonsense in these areas would see tourism drop off dramatically.

Improbable, you might say......but, with Egypt, who knows?
carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Well every time tourism picks up something happens so who knows.