Cairo train crash

Reporting and discussing local, national and international news items.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
V.I.P
V.I.P

Cairo train crash

Post by crewmeal »

This is absolutely horrendous.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... T3RsAj5RgQ

It's time the Egyptian government did somwething about the safety of the railway system. There are too many crashes in recent times.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Re: Cairo train crash

Post by DJKeefy »

Dozens killed in crash and fire at Cairo train station.

At least 28 people have been killed and 50 injured after a train smashed into a barrier at Cairo's main train station, state television and witnesses have said.

Photographs on social media showed clouds of black smoke billowing from the building in central Cairo.

Footage also showed fire engulfing the train and a nearby platform and people rushing to help the injured.

Ambulances and rescue teams have been dispatched to the site, medical sources said.

Egypt's National Railway Authority confirmed the accident, saying several people were killed and injured.

In a statement, the authority said the fire broke out after a train derailed and collided with a concrete barrier at the station, without giving further details.

Security sources told the Reuters news agency that there was no indication the crash was deliberate.

Egypt's Transport Minister Hisham Arafat has resigned following the tragedy.

A witness said there was an explosion when the train rammed into a steel barrier.

"I was standing on the platform and I saw the train speed into the barrier," witness Mina Ghaly told Reuters.

"Everyone started running but a lot of people died after the locomotive exploded.

"I saw at least nine corpses lying on the ground, charred."

Witness Ibrahim Hussein said: "I saw a man pointing from the locomotive as it entered the platform, and screaming, 'There are no brakes, there are no brakes’ before he jumped out of the locomotive. And I don’t know what happened to him."

Several witnesses said they had seen fire coming out of the train's engine before it crashed, causing an explosion and fires inside the station.

"Any person found to be negligent will be held accountable and it will be severe," Prime Minister Mostafa Madbouli said as he arrived at the site.

Egypt has one of the oldest and largest rail networks in the region and accidents causing casualties have been common.

Egyptians have long complained that the government has failed to deal with chronic transport problems in the country, where roads are as poorly maintained as railway lines.

The official statistics agency says there were 1,793 train accidents in 2017.

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleea ... 36863.html
DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Egypt

Post by DJKeefy »

WARNING: Video contains graphic images not suitable for all viewers

phpBB [video]
Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
United Kingdom

Post by Horus »

That was horrendous, those poor people running about on fire, a terrible tragedy.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The latest news report states that the driver of this train left his post to argue with another driver, thus forgetting to apply the trains breaks. How do they know this to be the ''non questionable reason'' as the cause of this tragic crash so soon after the fact? What we do know is that the much needed asked for funds to up grade the system was only partially released two years ago, upper Egypt the more needy, the transport minister has tendered his resignation, twenty innocent people plus are now dead with many injured, some in a critical condition, and all forms of transport and the infrastructure to allow them to operate safely is non existent. No doubt heads will roll, but as is usual here, not the right ones.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

Probably the Rumour Mill in action Dusak.

Keefys post did say "Several witnesses said they had seen fire coming out of the train's engine before it crashed, causing an explosion and fires inside the station".
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

John Landon wrote:Probably the Rumour Mill in action Dusak.

Keefys post did say "Several witnesses said they had seen fire coming out of the train's engine before it crashed, causing an explosion and fires inside the station".
That statement was supposedly issued from ''official sources'' according to the news, if it was a fire, then that could be because of lack of maintenance due to insufficient funds, better to just blame the driver...unless the found a couple of ISIS fighters a few hours later in the station rest room and shot them for the dastardly deed.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Cyprus

Post by Major Thom »

Another Major Shoot Out then "D" :lol: :lol: Suppose the train was only inspected by the H&S last week and passed with flying colours.
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

"Due to insufficient funds.....
Because Mubarak 'squirreled away all his ill gotten gains through Mossack Fonseca in Panama.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Who2 wrote:"Due to insufficient funds.....
Because Mubarak 'squirreled away all his ill gotten gains through Mossack Fonseca in Panama.... 8)
I can't remember where I saw it now, but the current spender was allocated an enormous chunk of money for the rail networks, but misplaced it somewhere. :D
John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

That statement was supposedly issued from ''official sources'' according to the news, if it was a fire, then that could be because of lack of maintenance due to insufficient funds, better to just blame the driver..

My point exactly, and if the driver is brown bread, or toast in this case, then he cant argue. People are not going to use the trains anymore.
I doubt the driver was so stupid or badly trained ( 'scuse the pun ).

Life.. Easy come, easy go. It's a temporary thing...

Mossack Fonseca ? Didnt karma catch up with them last year.. ? 8)
Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Yeh, but not their base of nefarious clientele Saddam Hussein next to David Cameron et al
the list of corrupt thieves was and is massive..ffs.... 8
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.
A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

This is the third rail disaster in the past six months. It is also in the past six months that the government of Egypt has said that it is committing big money to improve the system 1) A new high speed system for Alex - Cairo, including new rolling stock. 2) Re-furbishment of railway stations, Cairo - Asswan. 3) Up grade the rail system throughout Cairo - Asswan, as part of a 6-5 Billion LE infrastructure national project, announced by the Minister of Finance.

One very interesting rumour going around, which has more credit to it than the usual 'memorandum of understanding' that seems to hit the Cairo press more so these days, is that the whole rail network, lock stock and smoking barrel, could be privatised in the near future,...........if that be so, then God help anyone who travels on that system.