New visitors

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: New visitors

Post by carrie »

I know you were only in transit in Istanbul, Newcastle, but how was Turkey?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:56 pm
I know you were only in transit in Istanbul, Newcastle, but how was Turkey?
3 hrs in Sabina- Gokhen airport doesn’t really give you much of an insight :lol:

Weather was glorious as we circled over Bosphorus for half an hour.

Airport full of shops and busy with tourists. Even free WiFi!

Turks seemed very friendly. Can’t say same for some of Russian/ E European travellers. Pigs!

Teddy Bear

Post by Teddy Bear »

Good morning everyone, hope this helps anyone traveling at this time. Seen this on my news feed this morning
https://egyptindependent.com/egypts-avi ... ts-for-30/

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I need it happen at Cairo airport which isn't mentioned.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: New visitors,

Post by newcastle »

Teddy Bear wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 9:23 am
Good morning everyone, hope this helps anyone traveling at this time. Seen this on my news feed this morning
https://egyptindependent.com/egypts-avi ... ts-for-30/
I think I reported this elsewhere.

Lots of unknowns.....what happens if you, or another passenger , tests positive. Let’s see what actually happens. The “scheme” only covers the tourist destinations ( Hurghada, Sharm, Marsa Alam, Marsa Matrouh)and I will post further if I hear anything relevant from Hurghada.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I am tearing my hair out trying to arrange the Fit to Fly Covid test, without any success whatsoever. I have tried various places advertised on the internet, all without success. Nobody replied to emails requesting info, and when I try phoning after no reply to my emails, no body answers the phone. For example WrenHealth, recommended on the forum, DID at first answer my call with the information that no-one was available to speak to me......
Lloyds Pharmacy advertise they do tests but they advertise the results take 2-3 working days to get sent back, and Egypt are asking for the test results within 48hrs. This is impossible for me - my flight is On a Wednesday but I start travelling down from the "Far North" on a Tuesday, so really would need the test On a Monday and get the results next day.
Tried Egyptair Heathrow, email and phone call - No reply to either.. In desperation even tried the Heathrow hotel Im booked into for the night to see if they could advise of anywhere - zilch.
Am really starting to feel.that I'm going to have to cancel my flight .

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Don't know whether you could get to one of these clinics Christine? Only seem to be London or Manchester.

"WE CAN ISSUE CERTIFICATES OF FITNESS FOR TRAVEL ABROAD-TEST RESULTS IN UP TO 48 HOURS" https://samedaydoctor.org/service/covid ... y-testing/

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Thank you Fablux - have looked it up and it is a possibility as it has a clinic in Manchester (3 hrs each way by train) and very importantly, is open 7 days a week so I could have the test on a Sunday afternoon,just within the 72 hrs stipulated. I'm not going to book for another few days though in case the Egyptian government changes the rules once more.

Windygale2

Post by Windygale2 »

Tests on arrival would be better but do you take the chance as if positive at luxor airport what happens then? As you say these restrictions will be constantly changing as we go forward hopefully by may 2021 when we fly it will be as clear as mud!! Seriously though how long will the tests take and how quick the results would be is the sixty four thousand dollar question! As ever good in theory but in practice lots of questions. Ah well watch this space!

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:31 pm
I am tearing my hair out trying to arrange the Fit to Fly Covid test, without any success whatsoever. I have tried various places advertised on the internet, all without success. Nobody replied to emails requesting info, and when I try phoning after no reply to my emails, no body answers the phone. For example WrenHealth, recommended on the forum, DID at first answer my call with the information that no-one was available to speak to me......
Lloyds Pharmacy advertise they do tests but they advertise the results take 2-3 working days to get sent back, and Egypt are asking for the test results within 48hrs. This is impossible for me - my flight is On a Wednesday but I start travelling down from the "Far North" on a Tuesday, so really would need the test On a Monday and get the results next day.
Tried Egyptair Heathrow, email and phone call - No reply to either.. In desperation even tried the Heathrow hotel Im booked into for the night to see if they could advise of anywhere - zilch.
Am really starting to feel.that I'm going to have to cancel my flight .
Sorry to hear WrenHealth couldn’t speak to you. Can only suggest you keep trying. There are literally hundreds of clinics claiming to provide tests in time so it’s probably a case of being persistent.

It’s bad enough in London so I hear. It’ll be even worse “up North”.

I wouldn’t have the patience for it.....hence my decision to take an earlier flight.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

If I flew into Hurghada on a direct Easyjet flight and took the $30 test there am I correct in thinking I could then travel on to Luxor without quarantining? Some one way flights are actually cheaper than the UK covid test which is why I'm checking this out.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

hatusu wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:54 pm
If I flew into Hurghada on a direct Easyjet flight and took the $30 test there am I correct in thinking I could then travel on to Luxor without quarantining? Some one way flights are actually cheaper than the UK covid test which is why I'm checking this out.
So are you still in the UK although your flag shows Egypt ?
OK, sorry ignore that as I am not in Nepal.. 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:54 pm
Indeed...the cost of my flight with Pegasus was cheaper than a test and I’ve switched the EasyJet flight I had to next year.

I still haven’t heard anything about goings on at Hurghada.

Whilst the situation is not entirely clear, I cannot see that there would be any problem in your travelling from Hurghada to Luxor clutching a PCR negative result obtained at Hurghada.....assuming there was only a day or so between your test and onward journey.

It would make no sense to refuse you transit.....but...hey!....this is Egypt :lol:

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

I am seriously considering this now, as after making enquiries to at least 10 organisations trying to arrange or get info 're the test I haven't received one single reply! In addition, all the clinics ive contacted would involve travel expenses as well as the cost of the procedure so travelling via Hurghada would be much the cheaper option. I think I'll wait a few more days to see if the authorities change the requirements 're Cairo arrivals .

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Just had another update from Gov UK - I can forget Hurghada. Everybody will need proof of CV test wherever they arrive in Egypt now (if I've read it correctly....)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:44 pm
Just had another update from Gov UK - I can forget Hurghada. Everybody will need proof of CV test wherever they arrive in Egypt now (if I've read it correctly....)
That FCO advice is misleading and ignores the very recent change regarding Hurghada and other tourist entry points ( the test on arrival option) . But you should check with EasyJet that they will let you board. I have a feeling that some airlines and the Egyptian authorities might not be on the same page.

You should also check with Pegasus via Istanbul. I have a feeling they fly from Manchester....and, from my experience, are less bureaucratic than EasyJet. They are also easier to speak to! :lol:

You might be interested in this Info regarding the PCR test upon arrival [copied from another forum)

Those who arrived in Hurghada without test today were asked to remain seated on the plane until everyone else disembarked
Once tested (I believe the result is a few hours) you are to transit to hotel and remain isolated in your room until your result is known.

Obviously, if you opt for this route, you will need to factor in a night’s stay at a Hurghada hotel. You’d probably need to do this anyway because of travel restrictions on the Safaga-Qena highway.

I’ll post more if I hear more.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

@hatusu

Having checked....you can fly Manchester- Istanbul (S- Gokcen) - Hurghada for about £150.

Interestingly, they will also do a COVID test at S-Gokcen for about $30. Apparently, results take 6 hrs so you you might have to factor in an overnight stay. I haven’t checked how flight times work out from Manchester.....but I did read of someone who’d used the test facility and said it worked ok.

https://www.flypgs.com/en/press-room/an ... en-airport

The layover time for the usual trip to Hurghada from Manchester is only 3 hrs or so. Spending a night or two inIstanbul will add to the flight cost...not to mention the hotel . Maybe Pegasus can give you some guidance. Personally, I’d take my chances on a direct through flight with a test at Hurghada. I’m hearing that a TUI flight arrived from U.K. 1st Sept and some passengers, who paid for tests before flying, were annoyed to discover that others were allowed in without one! :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

TUI are due to restart flights from various UK airports, check their site.

https://www.tui.co.uk/flight/egypt/hurghada-flights

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Newcastle wrote "I’m hearing that a TUI flight arrived from U.K. 1st Sept and some passengers, who paid for tests before flying, were annoyed to discover that others were allowed in without one! :lol:"

I think I'm tending towards that. When I told my other half the problems I was having, he spoke to a senior Luxor tourism "minister" who insisted tests WERE still being carried out at Hurghada. (I know the man he spoke to and would tend to trust his advice).
Also, listening to the news this morning - top item was some people having to travel hundred miles to get a test when they've got actual symptoms, so I've got NO chance just for holiday purposes.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:
Thu Sep 03, 2020 8:50 am
Newcastle wrote "I’m hearing that a TUI flight arrived from U.K. 1st Sept and some passengers, who paid for tests before flying, were annoyed to discover that others were allowed in without one! :lol:"

I think I'm tending towards that. When I told my other half the problems I was having, he spoke to a senior Luxor tourism "minister" who insisted tests WERE still being carried out at Hurghada. (I know the man he spoke to and would tend to trust his advice).
Also, listening to the news this morning - top item was some people having to travel hundred miles to get a test when they've got actual symptoms, so I've got NO chance just for holiday purposes.
ta

I meant they were annoyed that passengers were allowed to disembark without a certificate...but of course had to immediately take one in Hurghada Airport!

It makes a nonsense of the whole business but, if the Egyptians are prepared to take this course, why not take advantage of it :lol: