FCO Advice on Travel to Egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Chris
Egypt

FCO Advice on Travel to Egypt

Post by Chris »

The FCO updated its global advisory against ‘all but essential’ travel, exempting destinations that no longer pose an unacceptably high risk for British travellers.

Published 3 July 2020
Last updated 4 July 2020 — see all updates

Foreign & Commonwealth Office

These exemptions came into effect on 4 July. All our advice will remain under constant review to take into account the latest situation in each country.

These countries have been assessed as no longer presenting an unacceptably high risk to British people travelling abroad. Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) travel advice is based on risks to British nationals, including in-country public health assessments.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus ... nal-travel

Egypt has NOT been included in the list of those countries no longer presenting an unacceptably high risk

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: FCO Advice on Travel to Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Egypt has NOT been included in the list of those countries no longer presenting an unacceptably high risk
I’m shocked....NOT. 8)

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Doesn't really bode well, but hardly unexpected...imho.. 8)

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... virus.html
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

6th July National Daily Newspapers.

UK. Confirmed Covid 19 cases, 285,768. thousand.
UK. Deaths 44,236 thousand.
Recovered cases, N/A
Number of UK Hospitals: 1,920.
Population: 66.65 million.

Egypt. Confirmed Covid 19 cases, 76,222.thousand.
Egypt. Deaths 3,422.
Recovered cases, 21,238.
Number of Egyptian Hospitals: 1,300.
Population: 94.7 million.

"Call me stupid but..
I cannot quite put my finger on it, something doesn't add up here.
Anybody have any ideas ? anybody..... 8)

I'll try asking the pub customers...
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

It’s a fact - according to all social media epidemiologists - that the virus doesn’t transmit well in hot dry climates. (Iran is an exception.....and it serves them right!)

Plus, Egypt is a God-fearing nation and Allah will protect them in adversity.

Moreover, as Trump pointed out, it stands to reason that there’s less of a problem if you don’t go looking for it by over-testing. :lol:

Q.E.D.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Great prog on ITV 3 Billion Pound Cruises. Tonight, I always wondered about them and the crews.
...the very thought gives me the shivers anytime anywhere..Fascinating programme..
https://www.itv.com/hub/billion-pound-c ... ea/10a0125

This from....time flies... 8)

Re: No cruise boats sailing?
Post by Who2 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:05 pm

Your 'reliable source obviously has noticed the lack of tourists, the lack of planes but, has probably not noticed
this tiny thing called coroana virus 19, (covid19) One wonders what all the 1-18 was all about ?
If your an egyptian you blame everything including the dogs,
but remember! "to wash one's arse twice whilst singing
happy birthday.... 8)
Ps: There's nothing quite like a 'reliable egyptian source ? 'it's totally paradoxical or diametrically opposed.
If you get my drift!

Ps: Sun's Headline tomorrow..
It's the Cruises What Done It !
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I suppose the truth will come out about the true infections and deaths in Egypt eventually, but then again maybe not. While talking on Skype to a frend in Cairo two days ago, I said that Egypt was doing ok for deaths and infections, he broke into laughter and told me to get a life, he said people are dying in the streets in the sprawl, they just get collected up and buried. His brother a doctor at one of the Cairo hospitals seemed to think there are throughout the Country, around 500,000 deaths and over 1,000,000 infections, its just that when people die they are left to the families to send them on their way, and the recorded death is mainly chest infection or old age. So things seem to be very confusing over there. I certainly believe the deaths and infections are lower than being reported for the sake of the economy and the tourist economy, but who knows, like many of you say, I am 99.9% wrong most of the time! When all this has gone in a few years time maybe we will all get to know the worldwide results.. At least Brazil is being open, a Country I would never have thought would be.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

If the deaths and infections are lower than being reported what you moaning on about#

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

The fact that if the real rates were published the Country would maybe on its knee's because the tourist industry would be crippled. Where I am Brits may not be allowed in until August at the earliest and then only with a medical certificate. Many of the ex pats (Apart from those running business's) do not want them back until next year. I appreciate our population is much lower butthe death rate due to the virus is still only in the mid 20's. The infection rates have risen recently due to repatriation flights but these people are guarded in Covid hotels that are mainly away from tourist areas. I read in the local press that all people arriving without a medical certificate will either be sent back, or they will have to undergo a medical before leaving the airport. It seems the government are worried mainly about the aysometic carriers that have Covid but show no symptoms. Its still out there and still highly spreadable, so I think all Countries should be aware! Sorry to say this but the UK still need to get a grip. I saw on the news last night that the UK infections are now mainly among the young, the infallible group who still think they are above all others. This group will go home and spread it around the vulnerable people because most are none caring and most think they are gods gift.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Are literacy tests required for the police? Asking for a friend. 8)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There is a lot of talk, and confusion, on various international travel forums that I follow, regarding the possible need for medical certification before departing from, or arriving at, certain destinations.

Although I have not looked into the subject in detail (I have no immenant travel plans at the moment) I admit to finding much of it confusing to me too.

It would appear, to me at least, that there are two tier systems going on in some places: 1) Nationals returning home who seem to be able to do so with some ease and no specific health restrictions; 2) Tourists who may or may not require medical testing and certification.

As the testing for Covid-19 for those with known symptoms - and the list of potential symptoms continues to grow -is still not 100% accurate, and the results can take longer than the normally quoted 48hrs return, surely any negative result is still only as good as the health of the person on the day they had the tests. Of course, if they have a positive result to the testing, ironically it will have been in their best interest as although they won't be able to travel, they will at least they should be able to get medical help immediately and be monitored.

The question of those that are asymptomatic is always going to be a difficult one. No matter the disease, there are those that can be symptomless carriers. This is why good hygeine practice is so important. But again, even if tested because of travel requirements, the test is surely only as good as the health of the person on the day it was taken.

The Covid-19 virus seems to present new problems every week, if not almost daily, and no matter what any given country's epidemic and pandemic plans were they, on the whole, have fallen short in the face of this new plague. Perhaps the 'planners' did not take into account the unfortunate human conditions of blockheaded ignorance and selfishness. Conditions that have no doubt hindered the overall management of the pandemic in many places.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The lack of joined up thinking is nowhere more apparent than for those Brits wishing to travel to Egypt.

From the UK viewpoint, Egypt is still on the FCO list as “essential travel only “ . I’d love to see the lawyers get their teeth into that expression if it came to be tested in court. :lol:

Most insurance companies would decline to pay out on claims made where the insured had travelled against FCO advice.

But a requirement for gaining admission to Egypt is that you have health insurance! I understand that only a declaration to this effect is required on arrival. Pretty pointless then....but par for Egypt. :lol:

Of course any visitor would then have the sword of Damocles hanging over them.....knowing that, should they become ill, they’d be at the mercy of the Egyptian health facilities, at the exorbitant rates they charge foreigners and without insurance cover.

Little wonder that there seems to be no sign of UK tourists returning to Egypt...or airlines wishing to carry them.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I agree with you newcastle, the whole insurance thing is another mine field.

It's not just travel insurance either. I was told recently, (although I have not personally checked to verify) that if you have had a Covid test it can affect all sorts of financial situations including bank loans, mortgages, other (non health specific) insurance, etc. This is irrespective of whether the Covid test was positive or negative. I was informed delays in agreement start dates, or significantly higher premiums could be applied.
If this is the case, it would put many off taking a Covid test or, vice versa many who take the test for travel purposes may not be aware of the knock on effect.

As I stated, I have not researched this for myself so can neither verify or enhance the information. I leave that for individuals to do for themselves, depending on their own circumstances.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 am

It's not just travel insurance either. I was told recently, (although I have not personally checked to verify) that if you have had a Covid test it can affect all sorts of financial situations including bank loans, mortgages, other (non health specific) insurance, etc. This is irrespective of whether the Covid test was positive or negative. I was informed delays in agreement start dates, or significantly higher premiums could be applied.
If this is the case, it would put many off taking a Covid test or, vice versa many who take the test for travel purposes may not be aware of the knock on effect.

As I stated, I have not researched this for myself so can neither verify or enhance the information. I leave that for individuals to do for themselves, depending on their own circumstances.
I doubt this is true....at least insofar as a negative test is concerned.

Even if your test result is positive, the data is closely controlled. Obviously you’re advised to take the necessary action, inform anyone else you may have, or might, infect etc Clearly it could impact on any aspect of your affairs dependant on your health and there’s a general legal principle requiring you to disclose all relevant information. Not to do so could invalidate transactions or insurance if your positive test came to light...however unlikely this might be.

But a negative test......no. iMHO.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:07 pm
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:42 am

I doubt this is true....at least insofar as a negative test is concerned.

Even if your test result is positive, the data is closely controlled. Obviously you’re advised to take the necessary action, inform anyone else you may have, or might, infect etc Clearly it could impact on any aspect of your affairs dependant on your health and there’s a general legal principle requiring you to disclose all relevant information. Not to do so could invalidate transactions or insurance if your positive test came to light...however unlikely this might be.

But a negative test......no. iMHO.
My thoughts were the same.
I could not see how having had a negative test could affect anything but I was told 'If you have had a test regardless of outcome.'
However, as I said, I haven't looked into it so cannot verify this.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

My earlier comments re Covid tests and insurance etc. was niggling me. I couldn't remember the background of the conversation we were having when the comments came up. Since my last post I've just done a quick internet search and asked 'Can having a Covid-19 test affect my insurance.' From the answers, this article jumped out at me:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 68951.html
The reference to health workers puts it into better context for the conversation I was in. This article does say 'positive tests'. Hope it helps clarify things.

Sorry, we've veered a fair way from the opening topic. However, the UK FCO advice is still, I think, for Only Essential Travel for Egypt.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Years ago we used to do loads of travel insurance scams, great fun, then the rot set in, 'joe public joined in..

One should, for one's own survival be, as Boris correctly states "aware' and realise it from an early age,
That You, are surrounded by 'nutters inhabiting human form.
I know, i'm an expert spotting a 'nutter at 40 ft away.
If you want to live longer be 'aware 'be alert, f*ck saving lives it's my life that matters.

Mind you today the majority of passersby seemed to be far more 'aware than usual.
Here, I am just now trying to have some 'quality time and a pint with Sim, in the sun outside the 'Wilmo.
It's wonderful now, all the spanish,polish,gianian,portugeses female staff love coming out in the sun
to serve and to have a girly chat with sim, it's a foreign thing..

Sim, just berated me for giving a chap 10 squid. He was 55ish on the street and poor.oh! & black.
I then related to her, that last sunday outside the eagle I confronted her worst local beggar, whom I know and
happily putting the 'fear of god into him, but only for a moment, 'He's a professional.... 'water off a duck's back'

So, life here does seem to be trying to become normal again, but don't be fooled..
The second coming is coming, trust me I'm a Dr...
If only they had listened to Old Mother Shipton, we wouldn't' be in the 'mire we are in now.

This, the corner street of our pub, it has huge trees stretching from gray's inn all the way to st john's street
all of them have preservation orders and signs saying beware of overhanging branches.

Every building has a history in this street.
From start...
To finish...
15719'when i was a kid.
Love the trees but, one day a branch will fall on an old ladies head killing her stone dead, trust me.

Ps: 'I'm trying to encourage face masks as a fashion item, I think it's catching on mine is A1.... 8)
Sophocles.