ALL INCLUSIVE.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

ALL INCLUSIVE.

Post by A-Four » Tue Mar 19, 2019 4:32 pm

:ai Yesterday I was looking through that free newspaper many of us pick up to read in most urban areas of Britain, I came across one of those half page holiday features to Egypt that was offering a full fourteen day holiday there.

The holiday in question offers the punter seven nights Nile cruise all inclusive, though the usual excursions are subject to charge, then a further seven days at a five star hotel in Hurghada, again all inclusive. The total price starts from £899, for further details,.....flightsandpackages.com WARNING. I don't why but, be careful dealing with this company.

I have never been on one of those all inclusive holidays but I assume, like many other parts of the world, the term includes booze, or should I say vodka being its Hurghada. When I lived in Luxor, I paid $50 for a three day cruise 'holiday' to Asswan, inc all meals, but always took my own booze, and paid a few bob corkage, when I drank it in the restaurant,....with the golden rule to never travel on a 'English' boat.

Although I always saw it that a further week in Luxor would benefit the cultural experience, I cannot for the life of me think that anyone would want to stay a week in Hurghada, it's like having the 'culture' of either Blackpool (U.K.) or Reno (U.S.A.) washed down with cheap Russian vodka.

My favourite costal place in Egypt was Dahab, though thirty years later, I can only hope it has remained the same.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Re: ALL INCLUSIVE.

Post by John Landon » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:00 pm

Ah, Dahab was fantastic, Highlight of my Sharm' Holiday a few years ago.. :up

Sadly the nice place I found in Turkey to holiday these last few years has now gone All inclusive and as such has attracted the Sun readers in force, so now we have to find another place to go..

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:38 pm

John Landon wrote:Ah, Dahab was fantastic, Highlight of my Sharm' Holiday a few years ago.. :.
Ah John, thirty years ago, this place was true paradise, the bus station was just outside of town. I remember going to sharm, which was basically built on wooden platforms along the beach, though I remember clearly long duel carriageway road that went to no where.

With regards to Turkey, I remember being at a place on the coast called Cleopatra beach, no sand, but very fine shale, that sort of cleaned the feet. Where it was, I do not remember. A place called Sidi, I remember had a fantastic ancient theatre,............I was smashed most of my young days, so thing remain rather vague.

minimeben

Post by minimeben » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:44 pm

1st post so go easy

We have booked to stay in Hurghada for our 1st Egypt experience in March 2020.

But where I like to think we are different, is that we won't be following the usual tourist trail and going the all inclusive route, but instead have booked a self catering apartment through Airbnb in what I would class as a residential area of Hurghada and really looking forwards to living like a local where possible.

The thought of going to somewhere new & exciting and booking all inclusive just bamboozles me on why it would be done by anyone, but I suppose each to their own.

Anyway back to Hurghada and having the culture of Blackpool in the sun, now I live 30 miles from Blackpool and for me I couldn't think of anywhere in the UK that I wouldn't want spend a holiday than Blackpool, so fingers crossed that your post is tongue and cheek otherwise we're gonna be in for depressing holiday.

Having said that, the holiday will be broken up with a 3 day stay in Luxor in between, so hopefully enough culture in Luxor to give us a real taste of Egypt before heading back to Hurghada to conclude our 1st Egyptian experience.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:02 pm

Let me get something straight about Hurghada, yes it is a bit like Blackpool on Vodka, but remember, with Blackpool, it has its, Stanley Park, North Shore, Cleveleys, Lytham, and St Anne's. (Though best not mention Fleetwood). You know what I mean here mini.

There is a so called old town in Hurgharda that is quite interesting,..........but then again if yer like cheap Wodka, yes I did say Wodka, then Central Hurghada will be for you, plus take a basic course in Russian.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Tue Mar 19, 2019 11:19 pm

minimeben wrote: Having said that, the holiday will be broken up with a 3 day stay in Luxor in between, so hopefully enough culture in Luxor to give us a real taste of Egypt before heading back to Hurghada to conclude our 1st Egyptian experience.
Wow, three days, but yes I am sure between the senior members of this forum, we can pack in enough culture in that time to make you wanting to come back for more. So the main thing is cramming as much as possible into that amount of time.

In the meantime, it is best to read a good guide book, then get the true upto date facts here.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:25 am

There is always a risk of dodgy food both at hotels and in restaurnts, even when I lived there I would often get delly belly from unhygenic food preparation, just take plenty of Immodium with you. Before I livd there I was a tourist for many years dating back to the early 90's not a year went past when I did not suffer. Probably down to the difference in food preparation. What I did find that helped waas NO alcohol dduring the hot days. Maybe up to 60% of tourists suffer from Delly Belly, but with care to where you eat helps. We got ussed to drinking the locaal water when there, but being a tourist always use bottle water and plenty of it to prevent dehydration. In the summer months I would go through between 2-3 litres of bottled water a day, and of course if you are waalking in the heat take plenty with you... Enjoy your stay just be sensible, the food is different as well as being diverse to what you are used to. when a tourist I would stay half board, if you stay all inclussive you can be time dictated.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:19 am

I cannot for the life of me think that anyone would want to stay a week in Hurghada,
Horses for courses MT.What's wrong with Hurghada? It's a popular resort for many. If you're on about dodgy food then look no further than some of the Caribbean cruise ships that many have paid ££££ for a holiday. All inclusive is ideal for many especially those with families. It's cost effective and folk can budget around the price, that's why it's so popular.

Channel 5 recently compared the difference between all inclusive v a la carte.

https://www.channel5.com/show/all-inclu ... -worth-it/

Why not try 'The Solana' in Benidorm, it looks like fun!!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:38 am

MT please read the posts they are staying in an apartment not half or all inclusive.
A friend who had never been to Egypt before stayed in an apartment here in Luxor for 6 weeks then went to Hurghada Airbnb, for two weeks. She had a great time no upset tummy in either place.
Not a lot of history or archeology in Hurghada I'm afraid. I lived very near Blackpool and I remember being taken to see "the lights" every year. Hurghada is a bit like Blackpool but with lots of sunshine.
I usually go to Hurghada when I am flying off somewhere after a trip across the desert it's nice to have a couple of days there, same when I fly back into Hurghada a few days then back to Luxor. I don't do self catering there always all inclusive but then I live in Egypt and when I'm there just want to relax by the beach and be waited on. One thing I do here in Luxor is drink the local water but in Hurghada I stick to mineral water. Look out for the money don't accept damaged or torn notes as often the local shopkeepers try to pass them on to tourists and then they find other shops won't accept the currency.
Big supermarket in Hurghada Senso mall worth a visit to stock up on your basic requirements. I am sure you will enjoy your holiday and hope when it is over you don't forget us and give us your reaction to both Hurghada and Luxor.
There is an excellent taxi firm in Hurghada ABC taxis very reliable and no dispute about the price. If you want the number please PM me. Thanks once again to Newcastle who told me about them.
I am sure you will enjoy yourself there. Go to the coffee shop and watch the world go by

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:09 am

I've been on a few all inclusive Nile cruises. Given how pricey the booze tends to be onboard they're good value for money. The best one we had was under £600 per person and included direct return flights from Heathrow to Luxor. It was only around £120p.p. more than Egyptair wanted for the flights alone.

Unlimited chilled bottles of water is handy too. Now that the majority of the boats moor up by the bridge it's not so easy to nip to a shop to stock up on supplies.

As for Hurghada, the only reason I've been there is as a stop-off en route to Luxor as it's usually the cheapest way to get there these days. We usually have a couple of nights in a hotel on arrival for a bit of R&R and snorkelling but - yeah, a week would be way too long.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:36 am

Hurghada is ok for an all inclusive holiday. It’s set up for that and represents excellent value for money which is why it’s inundated with tourists. Culture at Luxor or Cairo is easily arranged.

Self catering is a little trickier as the main town is typically. Egyptian and for more comfortable quality accommodation you’d need to look just outside the town at El Gouna or Sahl Hasheesh.

The main bug bear is the the hotels have commandeered all the beaches so be prepared to pay 100le plus for a days usage.

I’ve spoken to people who’ve been on the stay & cuise and who had no complaints. Nor should they at that price!

Ignore A-Four and MT who clearly haven’t been to the place for yonks. The Russians have no direct flights following the Sinai crash and are somewhat thinner on the ground and large areas have been pedestrianised and “beautified “ as only Egyptian know how ;)

I’ve lived there 10 years.

minimeben

Post by minimeben » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:12 pm

newcastle wrote:Hurghada is ok for an all inclusive holiday. It’s set up for that and represents excellent value for money which is why it’s inundated with tourists. Culture at Luxor or Cairo is easily arranged.

Self catering is a little trickier as the main town is typically. Egyptian and for more comfortable quality accommodation you’d need to look just outside the town at El Gouna or Sahl Hasheesh.

The main bug bear is the the hotels have commandeered all the beaches so be prepared to pay 100le plus for a days usage.

I’ve spoken to people who’ve been on the stay & cuise and who had no complaints. Nor should they at that price!

Ignore A-Four and MT who clearly haven’t been to the place for yonks. The Russians have no direct flights following the Sinai crash and are somewhat thinner on the ground and large areas have been pedestrianised and “beautified “ as only Egyptian know how ;)

I’ve lived there 10 years.
Thanks Newcastle,

We're prepared to have to pay to go on the beaches and went self catering as we always do, as we like to immerse ourselves as much as we can in local shops, bars & restaurants & culture where available which I don't think we would do if going all inclusive.

As for the Russian's we've seen them in all of their glory whilst visiting friends who were staying at an all inclusive hotel on one of our holidays to Turkey and it was a sight to behold!

1 year from today and our 1st Egyptian advernture will be over as we will be getting ready to return back to the airport, but we will hopefully be much wiser for the experience and I'm sure discussions will be well under way on when the next visit will be.

Also just to add, that I've discovered that travelling to Egypt comes with the same "it's not safe" comment that we have had from lots of people about our travels to Turkey for the last 20 years. I do find it funny as the people who pass comment have never been and only comment based on propaganda media rather than trying it out for themselves....their loss!

Anyway, I know this wasn't my thread, but thanks all for engaging with me on this

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 1:35 pm

The only good thing about Hurgharda is El Gouna, the fish, no hassle, marine equipment, the hard rock, and upon leaving Hurghada stopping at Senzo Mall.....
The biggest unfinished building sight I've ever seen..... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Miss scarlett

Post by Miss scarlett » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:18 pm

Mini my advice is get acquainted with Tripadvisor Luxor and Hurghada Forums, you will pick up lots of information there. For one the Gobus which travels between the two, and is excellent value for money at 110le per person.

Whilst in Luxor, and wanting to see the sites, recommend you view in advance a couple of the local tour agents, Oceanus, tours. You could email them and ask for a price for visiting whatever sites you would like to see. They will provide an air conditioned taxi, and guide if you require one, and your visits will be hassle http://www.oceanusluxor.com

Recommended you don’t just use a taxi driver you find on the street, who will be doing his very best to get the most money out of you, with no thought to you enjoying seeing Luxor .
I have recently used Sunrise, situated along the road where the Winter Palace is situated. There are other companies situated along that road too, namely Jolleys and Karnak Travel.

Some people call Luxor the hassle capital of the world, and the taxi drivers and caleche can pick out new people visiting Egypt from about a mile away. I want you to get the best out of visiting Luxor, so highly recommend visiting one of these companies. They charge far less, than the likes of Thomson, or Thomas Cook, when they used to do package tours here.

You have plenty of time to read and research where you stay. There is also a particularly good Airbnb in Luxor too, who will look after you.