Usual Boring Question From Me.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

jcoote

Usual Boring Question From Me.

Post by jcoote » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:05 pm

Can anyone tell me the current rate of exchange GBP to EGP in Luxor please? Our return visit is approaching. Thanks.

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Re: Usual Boring Question From Me.

Post by BBLUX » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:36 pm

As ever it will depend on where you go.
I would suggest about 22 - 23 EGP to £1.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:43 am

Buy your Egyptian currency when you arrive in Egypt. If you go to a bank downtown don't forget to take your passport. Egyptians love paperwork to fill in and use their stamps to thump the said paperwork!!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:32 pm

Banks will now only change money if it is requested from a person with an account with that bank, no matter where. The exchange houses are the only option unless you use an ATM.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:41 pm

jcoote, don't know where you are staying but the bank in the Sonesta will change currency for you no problem. I don't mean the one outside you have to go in to the hotel to the bank desk near the business center. I haven't heard of people having problems changing currency at the normal banks a friend went to the Bank of Cairo (along the corniche) last week and she changed money very easily but Dusak might have more up to date info.

jcoote

Post by jcoote » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:36 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

carrie. We will be staying at The Nile Palace, so not far from The Sonesta. We were hoping to do what we did last year, which was to bring a small amount of EGP with us for a starter then get more from the bank whilst there. As we have been getting to the hotel in the early hours, we have been able to pay cash for our room service that seems to have become habitual eg. four Sakkara Golds, (two each), ordered as soon as we get into the room. After three airport check-ins, security and hoop jumping, we feel we deserve them!

It's a pity about the difficulty in using the banks now. Last year we were able to use the MISR bank across the road from the hotel. It was a little long winded but they were fine then.

crewmeal. I know that this is now a little off topic but I have just read something about airport delays that you wrote on another forum with regards to being put up at a hotel when you missed your connecting flight to Luxor. I read a while ago that Egyptair were going to stop holding the connecting flight at Cairo when their London flight was delayed. Do you or anyone else on here know if this is what they are doing now? We were delayed at London by Egyptair last May but the connecting flight at Cairo was held for their customers to board on arrival.

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:06 pm

Just this week we have changed sterling into LE at the Bank de Caire on the Cornishe with no problems at all - in fact we were directed to the front of the queue and were dealt with very quickly

jcoote

Post by jcoote » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:50 pm

Billy_whiz. Many thanks for your reply. Would you have a rough idea of their opening times?

Billy_whiz

Post by Billy_whiz » Sun Mar 10, 2019 6:09 pm

Sorry I don't know but I have an idea that they close about 2pm. Hopefully somebody else will advise on this

jcoote

Post by jcoote » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Thanks for replying.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:26 am

carrie wrote:jcoote, don't know where you are staying but the bank in the Sonesta will change currency for you no problem. I don't mean the one outside you have to go in to the hotel to the bank desk near the business center. I haven't heard of people having problems changing currency at the normal banks a friend went to the Bank of Cairo (along the corniche) last week and she changed money very easily but Dusak might have more up to date info.
Just passing on the info my bank gave me on Thursday. First I asked for my spends for my hols, they gave me a few £50's which was ok, a few hundred in the new plastic £10's, which Thailand will except, but over a thousand in £20's, a lot had writing on and small tears that Thailand will not except, so asked them to change it for better quality notes. They told me that this is all they had as they had just sent their foreign currency to Cairo. So I asked if they thought that I could exchange it in another bank, they told me that the banks now will only deal with their own account holders, new rules from the central bank of Cairo. So, plan B. I have a lot of Le in the bank so told them that I would withdraw that, paying back in the duff notes they had given me, then send the Le to Thailand using Western Union in TV street and collect it in Thai Baht when I get there, only to be told no money could be transferred out of Egypt. So, plan C, phoned a friend, change the Stirling to Le and she gave me Euro's. Every year this place deletes a few Brownie points off my reasons to live here. Each time I go into this bank of mine, no two simple signatures for me like every other customer that I have observed while waiting to be served,when I want a withdrawal, I have to sign up to five times, then they all have a group meeting discussing which one they think is mine as referenced for comparison to the original one I gave when opening the account.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:38 am

Different altogether Dusak, Jcoote is changing Stirling into Egyptian, most banks are very happy to buy foreign currency but not to sell it.
The banks do usually close at two and are not open at all Friday and Saturday.
Jcoote, we are all happy to help on the forum with your questions.
Don't know if you have an Egyptian sim card or even want one but I went to the shop across from the Nile Palace ( the Orange shop) and bought Yildez one there for 95le that was including 2000 minutes of credit.

jcoote

Post by jcoote » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:14 pm

Hi carrie. Thanks for the info. We don't buy an egyptian sim whilst there. We don't make many phone calls, but we use my skype when on holiday which never really costs very much, we just remind people before we leave home that they will see a strange number coming up on their phone which will most likely be us calling.