Hotel pool facilities (use of)

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Hotel pool facilities (use of)

Post by Wiffy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:09 pm

Hi
One of the "Luxor Voyeurs" here :br will be arriving in Luxor the last week in March for a few weeks and was wondering what the situation was for using the hotel pools for some sun and relaxing,not been for a couple of years so just enquiring for the best places to go if anyone knows? i used to go to the St Josephs but friends last year said it wasnt so good,seen some mixed reviews about the Lotus yet again last year,anyone got more recent info please.
Many thanks :br
Wiffy

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Hotel pool facilities (use of)

Post by carrie » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:12 pm

Are you only interested in the east bank?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:28 pm

Thanks for posting Wiffy :up

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:05 pm

Hi
Yes prefer East bank as staying on that side but could always be tempted to West bank for a day out

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:03 am

Jolie Ville, the best Hotel in Luxor, never any problems staff great and all the facilities you need. Adults only pool and two other really big pools. Relax in the sun in peace and tranquility.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:48 am

I'm lead to believe that no hotel pools are now heated on this side, so bring an overcoat with you to ward off hypothermia. But still enjoy your stay with, hopefully, a bit of positive feedback.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:07 am

The Jollie Ville no longer takes day visitors to use the pool. Winter Palace pool is open to visitors and is heated, last time I asked it was 150le per day. I went to the Scheherazade yesterday, not heated but a lovely place to sunbathe and I did eventually pluck up courage to get in. 30le. Also on this side (west) the much discussed, on here, Thebes hotel. Their pool I believe is heated and costs 50le per day, spectacular views over the mountains from the pool on the roof, too. I have heard that the Lotus have tried to stop day visitors to the pool, that was always heated (east) but not now.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:49 am

Major Thom wrote:Jolie Ville, the best Hotel in Luxor, never any problems staff great and all the facilities you need. Adults only pool and two other really big pools. Relax in the sun in peace and tranquility.
I have to agree with MT on this, it must be the best location anywhere and the pools are superb. I wonder why they have stopped the day visitors? could it be that the tourist numbers have picked up so much that they need to keep it exclusive for the guests again?

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:14 am

Dusak wrote:I'm lead to believe that no hotel pools are now heated on this side, so bring an overcoat with you to ward off hypothermia. But still enjoy your stay with, hopefully, a bit of positive feedback.
Heated or not i will just be happy to get some sun,i am by no means a "water babe" i like to sunbathe but get hot and fidgety so like a quick dunk to cool off and then dry off doing my beached whale impression :D .
Thank you all for replies,options look a bit limited at moment but early days yet,stay positive and all that

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:40 am

I stayed at the Steigenberger in January, and the pool was heated to 28C. A little nippy when you got in, but ok for swimming. I'm pretty sure they still allow day visitors, but no idea of price. I'd suggest walking through to the pool - past reception, across the open courtyard, down one floor and out past the restaurant into the gardens - and asking the pool boys. If it's a 'no go' at least you can enjoy a drink on the terrace with a lovely view across the Nile to the Theban Hills.

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:23 pm

Been looking around and the Thebes looks quite nice,might even stay there for a week to get some rest as found a reasonable price for staying there,only thing is cant find anything about the food there,menu and price wise, but there again plenty of places to eat in Gezira and Ramla anyway or there was last time i visited or even a ferry trip in Luxor could be done,things can change so much in Luxor in a short space of time,i am always surprised when i visit

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:28 pm

Two friends stayed with me last week and they went to the Sonesta as day guests at the pool. They were each charged 100le

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:30 pm

Chris wrote:Two friends stayed with me last week and they went to the Sonesta as day guests at the pool. They were each charged 100le
Thats not bad for the Sonesta,i would have thought it would have been dearer but good to know,thanks.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:46 pm

Wiffy wrote:Been looking around and the Thebes looks quite nice,might even stay there for a week to get some rest as found a reasonable price for staying there,only thing is cant find anything about the food there,menu and price wise, but there again plenty of places to eat in Gezira and Ramla anyway or there was last time i visited or even a ferry trip in Luxor could be done,things can change so much in Luxor in a short space of time,i am always surprised when i visit

Carrie and I had dinner at the Thebes in January - it was excellent :eat :eat :eat

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Yildez wrote:
Wiffy wrote:Been looking around and the Thebes looks quite nice,might even stay there for a week to get some rest as found a reasonable price for staying there,only thing is cant find anything about the food there,menu and price wise, but there again plenty of places to eat in Gezira and Ramla anyway or there was last time i visited or even a ferry trip in Luxor could be done,things can change so much in Luxor in a short space of time,i am always surprised when i visit

Carrie and I had dinner at the Thebes in January - it was excellent :eat :eat :eat
Think i will book in for a week and get some rest then,only £74 for B&B too good to miss really

Hmmmm just went to book it and its supposed to be pay when you get there and dont have to register on the booking site,so it asked for my details, name etc,fair enough gave that and email addy then it wants credit card to confirm my booking,even though it says pay when arrive,no way do i give out CC details if its not being used they can, you know what !!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Just went on another site to see if i could reserve and they gave the option of paying straight away for a 10% discount,it was a bit dearer but the discount meant i paid a bit less. so result,am now booked in for the week from 30 th March,and looking forward to it,thanks for the replies everyone.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:52 pm

The food as Yildez says is excellent, the pool nice, the management very helpful I am sure you will enjoy your stay there and if your back and forth on the ferry not too far to walk but the tuk tuks are always available and not too far from the ticket office if you want to visit the sites.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:11 pm

Wiffy wrote:
Hmmmm just went to book it and its supposed to be pay when you get there and dont have to register on the booking site,so it asked for my details, name etc,fair enough gave that and email addy then it wants credit card to confirm my booking,even though it says pay when arrive,no way do i give out CC details if its not being used they can, you know what !!!!
Wiffy, if this was with one of the well known online booking sites, it is quite common for them to ask for your credit card details, even though you pay the hotel when arrive. I have done this a number of times and it has been fine. It is their way of taking a fee if you revoke their terms. I have used this procedure - booked a 'No Deposit, Pay at Hotel, Late Cancellation' sites, and cancelled within their time limit because my plans have change or I've found a better deal elsewhere, and I've never had any charges to my card.

Good you ended up with a better deal though.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Wiffy
United Kingdom

Post by Wiffy » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:32 pm

Sometimes things work out for the better,and its paid for now which is good as now i dont have to fork out when i get there, :) sooo looking forward to getting to Luxor and chill out.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:04 pm

Wiffy wrote:Sometimes things work out for the better,and its paid for now which is good as now i dont have to fork out when i get there, :) sooo looking forward to getting to Luxor and chill out.
Probably just as well.

It used to be the rule that foreigners had to pay hotels in “hard currency “ rather than EGP. Still is as far as I know.

So you’d end up paying with plastic anyway. :)

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:42 pm

newcastle wrote:
Wiffy wrote:Sometimes things work out for the better,and its paid for now which is good as now i dont have to fork out when i get there, :) sooo looking forward to getting to Luxor and chill out.
Probably just as well.

It used to be the rule that foreigners had to pay hotels in “hard currency “ rather than EGP. Still is as far as I know.

So you’d end up paying with plastic anyway. :)
I've used bookng sites like booking.com, expedia, etc for Luxor hotels using both the pay in advance and the pay hotel direct method. When paying the hotels direct I have never used my card.
When paying cash, both before I ever used internet booking sites, and when using them I have always paid in LE.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley