The Carter House

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

User avatar
hatusu
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: West Bank Luxor
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 512 times
Egypt

The Carter House

Post by hatusu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:23 pm

I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.



User avatar
Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6545
Joined: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm
Location: Snitzel
Has thanked: 1445 times
Been thanked: 5210 times
Gender:
Vietnam

Re: The Carter House

Post by Who2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeh! It's a shame they the 'antiquities mafia ripping off The Winter Palace and having to close that restaurant /bar.
Nice people, nice food, nice beer, nice views. But rotten crooked landlords, think! 'that 'prat in the hat....qed... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 6840
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:49 am
Has thanked: 1983 times
Been thanked: 5797 times
Egypt

Re: The Carter House

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 pm

hatusu wrote:I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.
What did you think of the replca Tutankhamen tomb?

User avatar
Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Posts: 2622
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:45 am
Has thanked: 258 times
Been thanked: 529 times
Gender:
Cyprus

Re: The Carter House

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 am

Like most people Cheated, Newc.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7327 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: The Carter House

Post by Dusak » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 am

Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

User avatar
hatusu
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 435
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: West Bank Luxor
Has thanked: 237 times
Been thanked: 512 times
Egypt

Re: The Carter House

Post by hatusu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:34 am

newcastle wrote:
hatusu wrote:I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.
What did you think of the replca Tutankhamen tomb?
I found the replica interesting because one of my favourite tombs to visit is Ay’s tomb in the Western Valley and it’s fascinating to see the comparison.
However my favourite replica is in the Pharaonic Village in Giza – yes I know the village is very Disneyworldish, but it was my first visit to Egypt, and I loved gliding along the canal in the small barge seeing tableaux of ancient Egyptian life, but then the best part was seeing the replica of Tutankhamuns tomb exactly as it was first seen by Carter when he looked through the hole in the wall and saw the tomb in all its fantastic golden jumble glory. It WAS exciting for me and there isn’t that excitement with this replica tomb.

User avatar
Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 3825
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:38 pm
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 1566 times
Been thanked: 1003 times
Gender:
Australia

Re: The Carter House

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am

In 2003, Dr Ragab's Pharaonic Village was a great idea for tourists not well-versed in the local history, but not for anyone with an interest in and knowledge of Egyptology. However, when I went back with a group of clients in 2009, the canal trip was closed. Most disappointing. I would not take anyone again unless assured it was functioning fully. Check before you go.
Carpe diem! :le:

User avatar
BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Posts: 7083
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:17 pm
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer
Has thanked: 120 times
Been thanked: 543 times
Gender:
France

Re: The Carter House

Post by BBLUX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Dusak wrote:Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
The owners of the Three Jackal's gave up when they were squeezed out bu the place next door. We used to really enjoy sitting on the roof terrace watching the private tourists walking/cycling past.
The film nights still occur at Dr Who's gaff when the weather is suitable.
Image

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

User avatar
Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Posts: 5874
Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 2:29 pm
Location: LUXOR
Has thanked: 5895 times
Been thanked: 7327 times
Gender:
Thailand

Re: The Carter House

Post by Dusak » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 am

BBLUX wrote:
Dusak wrote:Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
The owners of the Three Jackal's gave up when they were squeezed out bu the place next door. We used to really enjoy sitting on the roof terrace watching the private tourists walking/cycling past.
The film nights still occur at Dr Who's gaff when the weather is suitable.
I have my own film nights now, bought a 65'' smart TV and came back with around 130 films from Thailand, all blueray, so very happy with that. :up :up :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Carter Centre - How to Run a Proper Vote in Egypt.
    by Hafiz » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm » in Politics and Religion
    0 Replies
    497 Views
    Last post by Hafiz
    Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:00 pm
  • Howard Carter: Famous Archaeologist, Not-So-Famous Painter
    by Kevininabydos » Mon May 14, 2012 8:30 am » in History and Archaeology
    6 Replies
    158 Views
    Last post by LivinginLuxor
    Thu May 17, 2012 8:34 am
  • The Old Ladies House.
    by Who2 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:55 pm » in Living in Luxor
    1 Replies
    69 Views
    Last post by carrie
    Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:13 am
  • OPEN HOUSE.
    by A-Four » Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:28 pm » in Hobbies And Pastimes
    18 Replies
    1508 Views
    Last post by newcastle
    Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:33 pm
  • Stoppelaëre House
    by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:08 pm » in Living in Luxor
    8 Replies
    113 Views
    Last post by Horus
    Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:16 pm