The Carter House

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

hatusu
Egypt

The Carter House

Post by hatusu » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:23 pm

I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: The Carter House

Post by Who2 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Yeh! It's a shame they the 'antiquities mafia ripping off The Winter Palace and having to close that restaurant /bar.
Nice people, nice food, nice beer, nice views. But rotten crooked landlords, think! 'that 'prat in the hat....qed... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:15 pm

hatusu wrote:I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.
What did you think of the replca Tutankhamen tomb?

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:09 am

Like most people Cheated, Newc.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:31 am

Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:34 am

newcastle wrote:
hatusu wrote:I hadn’t been to the Carter House for several years, (not since the Hologram days) but this was the choice for one of our Monday morning walks. I cant put my finger on what the improvements were but I was pleasantly surprised. Normally I don’t like the guardians following me round but I have to say this particular gentleman really did make the visit more interesting. He was extremely knowledgeable and pointed out various items of interest from a bygone age that nowadays most people would have no idea of, and that I would have overlooked if I had been on my own.
What did you think of the replca Tutankhamen tomb?
I found the replica interesting because one of my favourite tombs to visit is Ay’s tomb in the Western Valley and it’s fascinating to see the comparison.
However my favourite replica is in the Pharaonic Village in Giza – yes I know the village is very Disneyworldish, but it was my first visit to Egypt, and I loved gliding along the canal in the small barge seeing tableaux of ancient Egyptian life, but then the best part was seeing the replica of Tutankhamuns tomb exactly as it was first seen by Carter when he looked through the hole in the wall and saw the tomb in all its fantastic golden jumble glory. It WAS exciting for me and there isn’t that excitement with this replica tomb.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 am

In 2003, Dr Ragab's Pharaonic Village was a great idea for tourists not well-versed in the local history, but not for anyone with an interest in and knowledge of Egyptology. However, when I went back with a group of clients in 2009, the canal trip was closed. Most disappointing. I would not take anyone again unless assured it was functioning fully. Check before you go.
Carpe diem! :le:

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:39 pm

Dusak wrote:Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
The owners of the Three Jackal's gave up when they were squeezed out bu the place next door. We used to really enjoy sitting on the roof terrace watching the private tourists walking/cycling past.
The film nights still occur at Dr Who's gaff when the weather is suitable.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:33 am

BBLUX wrote:
Dusak wrote:Las time I was there it was three days before the opening of the new eatery, but I did like the hologram and a mooch around the rooms. Another favorite stop off was The Three Jackal's restaurant. Did it ever reopen? Had some really enjoyable film nights there when the words worry and stress did not invade your mind.
The owners of the Three Jackal's gave up when they were squeezed out bu the place next door. We used to really enjoy sitting on the roof terrace watching the private tourists walking/cycling past.
The film nights still occur at Dr Who's gaff when the weather is suitable.
I have my own film nights now, bought a 65'' smart TV and came back with around 130 films from Thailand, all blueray, so very happy with that. :up :up :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.