Nefetari's tomb - update

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Nefetari's tomb - update

Post by Yildez » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:33 pm

Today I crossed another item off my Egypt bucket list - I visited Nefetari's tomb, a visit I've wanted to make for many years. One word - sublime!

Well worth the wait and the 1200EP ticket price. I waited for a group to leave, then spent about 40 minutes alone, with 2 more visitors entering during the last 5 minutes. There's a notice at the entrance saying 10 minutes maximum, so I did well!!!

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Re: Nefetari's tomb - update

Post by denisegr » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:06 pm

Is photography allowed in there Yildez?
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:21 pm

Fabulous, you did really well to plan it so that you had the place to yourself, certainly a once in a lifetime experience. Out of curiosity how does the entrance fee equate to English pounds if you know?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:46 pm

At today's rate 52.17p we have just worked it out.
Philistine as I am I was much more interested in the size of the fish in the sacred lake at Seti's.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:48 pm

Horus wrote:Fabulous, you did really well to plan it so that you had the place to yourself, certainly a once in a lifetime experience. Out of curiosity how does the entrance fee equate to English pounds if you know?
When I went there I think I was the only person in the valley!

It's not a favourite of the standard tours andI daresay the price tag puts off many. It's really only for the reasonably well- heeled, , and those with a fewdays to spend.

The rest don't know what they're missing.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:09 pm

Thanks Carrie, I am sure that many readers may be surprised at how cheap it really is to visit such a fabulous tomb, over the recent years we see the price often quoted in American $ or as part of special tours (especially in the early days) and of course in LE, so to those who have not visited it must appear very expensive. When compared to other activities like a balloon flight it is really quite cheap and doubt that many people would pass up on the opportunity if offered during their stay. You mentioned Seti's mortuary temple, another interesting favourite of mine and often little visited site. :up

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:31 am

denisegr wrote:Is photography allowed in there Yildez?
No Denise, you can buy a photography ticket for the tombs, but it does not include Nefetari

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:40 am

Horus wrote:Thanks Carrie, I am sure that many readers may be surprised at how cheap it really is to visit such a fabulous tomb, over the recent years we see the price often quoted in American $ or as part of special tours (especially in the early days) and of course in LE, so to those who have not visited it must appear very expensive. When compared to other activities like a balloon flight it is really quite cheap and doubt that many people would pass up on the opportunity if offered during their stay. You mentioned Seti's mortuary temple, another interesting favourite of mine and often little visited site. :up
I love Seti's temple Horus, and have visited several times. Such a peaceful atmosphere, and, as you say, it's unusual to find anyone else there - just 3 other people yesterday. I find it interesting because you can see the development of the different artistic styles - the restrained, and technically more difficult, carving from early Seti l, to the deeply incised, in your face carving of Ramses ll. Love it!

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am

Did you two ever find/visit that new place at El Silsila we have previously discussed? Was it EB or WB?
Carpe diem! :le:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:50 am

Yildez wrote:
Horus wrote:Thanks Carrie, I am sure that many readers may be surprised at how cheap it really is to visit such a fabulous tomb, over the recent years we see the price often quoted in American $ or as part of special tours (especially in the early days) and of course in LE, so to those who have not visited it must appear very expensive. When compared to other activities like a balloon flight it is really quite cheap and doubt that many people would pass up on the opportunity if offered during their stay. You mentioned Seti's mortuary temple, another interesting favourite of mine and often little visited site. :up
I love Seti's temple Horus, and have visited several times. Such a peaceful atmosphere, and, as you say, it's unusual to find anyone else there - just 3 other people yesterday. I find it interesting because you can see the development of the different artistic styles - the restrained, and technically more difficult, carving from early Seti l, to the deeply incised, in your face carving of Ramses ll. Love it!
Yildez I have literally thousands of photo's of Egyptian sites, but unfortunately I had a serious loss (including a backup drive) and all my Seti image folder was lost. It is several years since my last visit so a couple of questions for you :) Have you ever been close up to a really beautifully preserved stella that can only be seen fully by going around the back of another building? it can be seen from one side when just walking about but only the top is visible. The guardians like to keep it as their little secret and like I said I did have some photo's of it and I recall it being very clearly engraved with very little wear.

The second is regarding a small locked building that you had to get the guardian to unlock and it contained lots of broken Anubis stone figures many still with painted faces, is it still there and have you visited it? What struck me most about them was that quite a few had really viscious expressions on their faces, curled lips and snarling teeth, quite unlike the usual expression. I am really annoyed that I have lost those images, but maybe one day I will get around to having the hard drives looked at by professionals.

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:32 pm

Yildez wrote:
My favourite too, and had it all to myself many a time for the princely sum of a 5 LE back hander and a bottle of water.. 8)
Ever notice that large wet sandstone block in the wall of the temple ? close to the small pool of water on the left side as you look at the entrance ?
Look at the temple wall behind you as you stand in front of the pool..

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:16 pm

Winged Isis wrote:Did you two ever find/visit that new place at El Silsila we have previously discussed? Was it EB or WB?
We're going to Silsilla tomorrow, but I still don't know which side the tombs on! Watch this space!

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:18 pm

Horus wrote:
Yildez wrote:
Yildez I have literally thousands of photo's of Egyptian sites, but unfortunately I had a serious loss (including a backup drive) and all my Seti image folder was lost. It is several years since my last visit so a couple of questions for you :) Have you ever been close up to a really beautifully preserved stella that can only be seen fully by going around the back of another building? it can be seen from one side when just walking about but only the top is visible. The guardians like to keep it as their little secret and like I said I did have some photo's of it and I recall it being very clearly engraved with very little wear.

The second is regarding a small locked building that you had to get the guardian to unlock and it contained lots of broken Anubis stone figures many still with painted faces, is it still there and have you visited it? What struck me most about them was that quite a few had really viscious expressions on their faces, curled lips and snarling teeth, quite unlike the usual expression. I am really annoyed that I have lost those images, but maybe one day I will get around to having the hard drives looked at by professionals.
Sorry Horus, haven't noticed the Stela, nor the building you describe :( :(

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 pm

Maybe worth asking next time you visit :up

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:49 pm

Yildez my apologies, must have been a Sunday morning brain fart :roll: All of my references were regarding the mortuary temple of Merenptah :a11: where you would find the objects of which I speak, somehow with my lack of photographs to refer to I had mentally conflated the two sites, it was only after you said you had not seen either of them (as I know from your posts on here that you are an intrepid explorer :lol: ) that I started to question my own memory of the place. :tk Doh!

I should add that the stella I referred to is actually a replica of the 'Israel' stella now in the Cairo museum, that has the only mention of Israel as a nation in any such ancient artifacts or writings as far as I am aware.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:45 pm

Thanks Horus! Was puzzled as to why I hadn't noticed them on this and previous visits!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:21 pm

Not as puzzled as I was :lol: :lol: