First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part Two

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

AladdinSane

First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part Two

Post by AladdinSane »

Due to the late arrival of German tourists our cruise itinerary was changed. This left us with less time than we had planned for our return visit up the Nile to Luxor. However; we were still able to visit the West Bank. We had to forget about visiting Karnak.

The tourist guide on the boat said the temple of Seti wasn’t worth seeing and advised us to visit the tomb of Ay when we visited VOTK.

I booked a taxi, again, with Oceanus. We were collected from the boat and driven to the ticket office where we bought tickets for Medinet Habu and later for the tomb of Ay.

After enjoying our visits to the tomb and Medinet Habu we had a cooling drink at a Café close to the temple where we conversed with a young lady who was the owner of a dog named Jasmine. She told us of the cruelty the animal had suffered from a previous owner and chatted about her life on the West Bank.

We both found the West Bank very peaceful and relaxing after our stressful time on the East!

I enjoyed my third visit to Luxor – as brief as it was - but thought the city looked shabby and run down. The Winter Palace looked in need of decoration and the Avenue of Sphinxes was blocked off near the temple. I’d been able to walk down it on a previous visit. And why hadn’t Drinkies been open? The Off-License was closed too! And what had happened to the HSBC bank?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part Two

Post by HEPZIBAH »

AladdinSane wrote: And why hadn’t Drinkies been open? The Off-License was closed too! And what had happened to the HSBC bank?
I believe the HSBC closed some while ago.

What day were you trying to buy your alcohol? If it was a Sunday then I understand that is the day the off licences close as most of them are owned by non-Muslims.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

I think it was a Tuesday - 2nd week in September.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Nothing like speaking the truth Alladinsane, I am pleased I did not write the post.... :lol: :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Due to the late arrival of German tourists our cruise itinerary was changed.
I had this back in the summer when sailing on the Toya. We were 3 hours late departing Luxor as the Germans were being guided around the West Bank. I do think that tour operators should take this into account when organising schedules.

As a footnote to this I hope the Nile authorities don't adopt an airline system of 'slots'. If you miss yours for whatever reason then you wait for another one!

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane »

The guide on board explained that the Germans will always take precedence - for some reason?

We organised our own excursions. When I visited Esna temple, I got off the boat with the rest of the English tourists - we were ahead of the Germans. Then, at the ticket office, the same guide waited then allowed the Germans to walk ahead of us!

One morning, I saundered on deck to find that the Germans had removed our towels from the sun loungers - a lady among our party had volunteered to lay out the towels each morning at the crack of dawn. I walked over to 4/5 of them and asked why they had removed the towels - they denied they had - I then went and collected the English magazines they had also removed with the towels. They continued their denial. I walked off but not before giving the Nazi salute! My partner was livid - but so was I!

The Bosh...don't ya just love 'em...

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I appreciate your frustration if there are other passengers taking precedence over others, especially when it comes to queue jumping etc. However, I have to say, I would not be amused if I went on deck and all the [best] sun loungers had been reserved by towels etc. and the owners were not in sight. I may not be German but I would be removing towels and claiming the lounger for myself - by sitting on it.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I thought only the new age fascists gave the hated Nazi salute nowadays. Not very good being so close to the 100th anniversary of WW1. Did you also place your index finger inline with your top lip for the authentic look?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:I appreciate your frustration if there are other passengers taking precedence over others, especially when it comes to queue jumping etc. However, I have to say, I would not be amused if I went on deck and all the [best] sun loungers had been reserved by towels etc. and the owners were not in sight. I may not be German but I would be removing towels and claiming the lounger for myself - by sitting on it.
Quite right!

Having someone "reserve" your sunbed because you can't be arsed to get up early enough is the height of rudeness.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Now an experienced traveller would have placed a Black/red/yellow striped towel and a nicked copy of Der Spiegel on the sunbed beforehand, problem solved. :lol:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

AladdinSane wrote: The tourist guide on the boat said the temple of Seti wasn’t worth seeing
It is an amazing temple.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

BENNU wrote:
AladdinSane wrote: The tourist guide on the boat said the temple of Seti wasn’t worth seeing
It is an amazing temple.
Yes it is Benu, and has always been deserted whenever I've visited. My opinion of most of the guides I've met/overheard? Not good!! Petra Travel, now Oceanus, has a couple of good guides - Waleed is excellent and I've had some really interesting discussions with him. When I visit a site with him I usually challenge him to show me something I haven't seen before! And he always does!!

And actually a re-visit to Seti Temple is overdue, so I'll put it on my list for January!