First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part One

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

AladdinSane

First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part One

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:24 pm

I had visited various Egypt related websites until I found a deal which included a week in Hurghada followed by a Nile Cruise – I’d enjoyed one previously eleven years ago. After receiving the cruise itinerary I realised that myself and my partner would be able to spend some time in Luxor. We didn’t purchase any excursions as we’d decided to organise our own. I’d visited most of the sites on the cruise in 2007 and had returned to see more in 2008.

I looked forward to visiting (for the first time) Medinet Habu and the temple of Seti on the West Bank. My partner had never visited Luxor or VOTK so hopefully, with some careful planning, we agreed we might be able to visit Karnak and a few tombs too.

Various members on here provided advice on the distance we would have to travel from the boat’s docking bay and the taxi services available.

I booked a taxi (Oceanus) on the first morning to take us to Luxor Temple, hoping to stock up on alcohol at Drinkies and visit the Souk too. I also needed to visit HSBC bank. Because she has difficulty walking lengthy distances I left my partner in McDonalds’s after we’d visited the temple and set off for the bank. After some time, I started to think that I’d lost my way but then realised that the bank wasn’t there anymore!

A Caleche Driver had been pestering me from the moment I started walking ( I do enjoy a good walk) so because I was becoming concerned about my partner I told him to drop me off at McDonald’s. I then collected my partner and set off in the Caleche for Drinkies. We arrived to find it shut! It was about 11am in the morning. After visiting an ATM machine we decided to enter the Souk and I walked into the local section to find a Galabeya, leaving my partner in a coffee shop.

Time was an important factor as we had a taxi booked to return us to the boat which was leaving at 1.00pm. I found a suitable garment (after a great deal of haggling) and returned to my partner who informed me that the guy who owned the coffee shop, learning of our interest in purchasing alcohol, would be able to sort us out. We did a deal with him and he returned with what we had ordered.

Carrying our booty in black bin liners we set off for our rendezvous with the taxi – the driver had informed us he would be waiting near the temple. From the moment we left the coffee shop we were hounded all the way out of the Souk with various locals following us offering us Cigarettes, Souvenirs and Marihuana (I took a sniff - it wasn’t ).

Having some time to kill, I left my partner somewhere safe and set off to find a Chemist to obtain toiletries for my partner and also juice and bottled water. I was followed by another Caleche Driver who asked me what I was looking for?
Ignoring his pleas I continued to walk until I found a Chemist. He followed me into the Chemist and after hearing me asking for toiletries (he obviously knew English) he started speaking Arabic to the shop assistant. They didn’t have what I wanted so I set off to find another, followed again by the Caleche Driver. I visited three or four chemists and this guy followed me into each one! To be fair, he did provide some assistance regarding the language problem so I gave him baksheesh – I’d already given him some money to be rid of him but it obviously hadn’t worked!

After receiving the money he demanded more saying he’d walked a considerable distance with me. After arguing with him, saying I hadn’t asked him to, I gave him a little more baksheesh. He continued to follow me saying he would drive us to the temple. I refused as it was only a short walk from the Souk. He persisted until I arrived back at the Souk.

My partner then informed me that I had forgotten the water and the juice! As soon as he heard our conversation he leapt into action saying he would bring us some. An argument then broke out between him and another local who’d heard the conversation. The other guy then vanished with the Caleche Driver explaining that he’d gone off in pursuit of water and juice for us and not to worry because he would take us via his Caleche to the temple. Having had enough of haggling and arguing I agreed what I thought to be a fair price for the short distance to the temple and sat waiting for the water and juice.

We set off in the Caleche and after a short time we arrived close to the location of our pre-planned rendezvous with the taxi. We pointed this out to the driver but he wouldn’t heed our words and set off in another direction! My partner then realised that he couldn’t drop us off because of the traffic system and he would, therefore, have to circle round to our arranged meeting point. I remonstrated with him urging him to gather speed as we were now running late.

The horse set off at a canter and we eventually found our taxi. I handed the agreed fare to him but he demanded more saying his horse had damaged its hoof due to galloping. I refused and an argument started. The Caleche Driver became very irate – I gave him some Anglo Saxon verbal and walked away. My partner then noticed he was following us to the taxi and became very alarmed and very upset. I decided enough was enough! I handed my money belt to my partner and confronted the driver. He was a big guy but I am too. He backed off.

We arrived back in time for the boat’s departure but our stress levels were really high.

On a bright note the price we paid for the wine was three times less than the price on board the boat – and it was the same wine!

We eventually set off on our cruise down the Nile looking forward to our return to Luxor and our visit to the West Bank – hopefully with less hassle.

I’ve visited Luxor on two separate occasions but I’ve never received so much hassle on the streets! I realise that tourists are thin on the ground these days and that there are many poor people in Luxor but the hassle we encountered was appalling!

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: First visit to Luxor since 2008 – Part One

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:37 pm

IMO.....it's invariably a mistake to engage in any way whatsoever with a caleche driver (or a taxi driver or any local offering assistance) unless you know them.

You'll know better next time. (To be honest, you got away quite lightly :lol: )

Especially if you have a "vulnerable" companion, it's better to pre-arrange all transport through a reliable agent....although this is not always easy or practicable.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 1:53 pm

I'd arranged transport with a taxi firm to take us from the boat and back.

I realise talking is a mistake - I've visited Egypt many times including Luxor twice.

Their persistence was astounding and they didn't take any notice of me telling them to 'f**k off!' I was hounded for about 10 mins down one road and the other guy followed me everywhere when I was looking for a Chemist! There didn't seem to be many police about or I would have reported them.

I've never experienced anything like that in Luxor before. I walked around the city many times in 2008 and a few stern shouts of ''La Shukrun'' was usually sufficient to distract their attention.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:04 pm

I'm a bit confused. If you'd booked a car through Oceanus, why didn't you just let them drive you around to the places you needed to go to.

For toiletries, these days you would probably have fared better by going to one of the supermarkets such as Ragebs (sp?).

Unfortunately, reading your post, you were a bit too flash with the cash giving money to the calleche driver who, once given money for nothing, was most definitely going to be looking for just how much he'd get out of you.

Regardless of the hassle, I hope your partner wasn't put off by the experiences and that you both had a good holiday.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:12 pm

I realise talking is a mistake ........
Their persistence was astounding and they didn't take any notice of me telling them to 'f**k off!'
Sadly, this has been the norm in Luxor for several years. Their entrenched belief is that, if they don't catch you, one of their bretheren will....so you're fair game.

It has probably become worse post the revolution (with Egyptians generally feeling more able to assert themselves), with the increased pressure on incomes caused by inflation, and, of course, the dearth of tourists in Luxor.

The authorities have introduced some draconian laws about harassing tourists...a complete joke, especially as there's rarely a policeman around to complain to. As if any tourist could be bothered to attend a police station, court etc, And the locals know this....so the hassle continues unabated.]

As Hepzibah says, it's better to engage a personal driver throughout. It may work out a little more expensive but will save a lot of hassle.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:34 pm

newcastle wrote:
I realise talking is a mistake ........
Their persistence was astounding and they didn't take any notice of me telling them to 'f**k off!'
As Hepzibah says, it's better to engage a personal driver throughout. It may work out a little more expensive but will save a lot of hassle.
Slight correction: I didn't say it was 'better to engage a personal driver throughout'. AladdinSane had said that they had employed a taxi through Oceanus, and I couldn't understand that if they had gone to that measure and expense I couldn't understand why they hadn't used them from transporting them around to do the shopping as well as the Temple visit.

Personally, when I'm in Luxor, I still try to walk around as much as I can, depending on my physical ability at the time and where I'm staying/going to or from. I do have a trusted taxi driver that I will call for some journeys, especially if they are off the beaten track, but I will also flag one down in the street I need to. What I'm reluctant to do is get one from a 'taxi rank' for example those that gather on the corner opposite/close to the corner with the Isis hotel. I'd much rather start walking facing the traffic direction and then cross the road when I'm ready to flag down a vehicle. The same goes on the West Bank, although I'm more likely to get the local micro bus from and to the ferry for the journeys that I take across there.
-Aldous Huxley

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:43 pm

We didn't want to be driven round to do the shopping etc etc...
Most of the hassle we received came about in the Souk and near the entrance - how could we have been driven through the Souk? The Caleche driver (I didn't know he was at the time) was hanging around the entrance and must have been tipped off by a fellow local that two tourists (prey) were about. He followed me everywhere through the streets...

Surely when one is on holiday it's nice to walk in the sun, see the sights, see how the locals live. That for me and my partner is what we enjoy about being on holiday. My partner had never visited Luxor. She wouldn't visit again. The kind of behaviour we experienced was shocking! We're both seasoned travelers and realise and were prepared for some hassle walking the streets in Luxor but not to that extent!

Don't the locals realise they're cutting their own throats harassing tourists in such a manner!

There weren't many tourists in Luxor - it was my third visit - and compared to previous visits the lack of tourism was noticeable...is it any wonder?
Last edited by AladdinSane on Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Nov 14, 2018 2:59 pm

Quite agree about the walking around but your biggest mistake was to speak to the caleche driver in the first place. Don't say hello say nothing completely ignore them as if they are not there. I know it sounds rude but the only way to go. I hope you enjoy the rest of your time and especially your partner.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:05 pm

The Caleche driver (I didn't know he was at the time) was hanging around the entrance of the Souk and must have been tipped off by a fellow local that two tourists (prey) were about. He followed me through the streets - on foot - when I left the Souk
I tried 'la shuckran' countless times...

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:24 pm

AladdinSane wrote:We didn't want to be driven round to do the shopping etc etc...
That's fair enough.
AladdinSane wrote:Most of the hassle we received came about in the Souk and near the entrance - how could we have been driven through the Souk? The Caleche driver (I didn't know he was at the time) was hanging around the entrance and must have been tipped off by a fellow local that two tourists (prey) were about. He followed me everywhere through the streets...
You couldn't be driven around the souk. I wasn't thinking about that area, although you could have been driven through the locals souk by calleche - alas many tourists are. My thoughts were on your other shopping, the toiletries, and particularly the alcoholic and soft drinks which are heavy and cumbersome to carry around.

AladdinSane wrote:Surely when one is on holiday it's nice to walk in the sun, see the sights, see how the locals live. That for me and my partner is what we enjoy about being on holiday.
Totally agree, and as I have posted already, is how I tend to get around Luxor normally.
AladdinSane wrote:My partner had never visited Luxor. She wouldn't visit again. The kind of behaviour we experienced was shocking! We're both seasoned travelers and realise and were prepared for some hassle walking the streets in Luxor but not to that extent!
That actually is a shame, not least because now you have both learnt lessons the hard way, you could use that as a strength on a future visit.
AladdinSane wrote:Don't the locals realise they're cutting their own throats harassing tourists in such a manner!

There weren't many tourists in Luxor - it was my third visit - and compared to previous visits the lack of tourism was noticeable...is it any wonder?
There is a completely different mindset. Local sales people, particularly in the tourist sales industry, possibly see it as needing to make a sale so they must work as hard as they can to get it. Many of the sales guys are working purely for any commission they make. No sale, no commission, no lunch for themselves or possibly food for the family table. The competition is strong, so the one that wears you down the fastest wins - as you found out with your calleche guy.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:10 pm

With respect AladdinSane....you need to forget about how you think the Luxor lads SHOULD behave, how you would LIKE them to behave and reflect on your actual experience, Take note of the advice given by Carrie & Hepzibah and do not engage in any way whatsoever.....even a "La Shukran" is two words too many. Your experiences have been endured by many and have echoed down the years....and your views and sentiments communicated to the locals......with no effect whatsoever.

They have an amazing repertoire of introductory phrases to gain your attention and open a dialogue. IGNORE!!

Avoid caleches like the plague.

If you must use a taxi, only do so if you know exactly where you're going, have some idea of the fare, agree the fare in advance and ignore all attempts by the driver to engage you in conversation. It's not a bad idea to ostentatiously take down the taxi number....that way the driver will be wary of trying any funny stuff....perhaps.

The locals can smell a "newbie"....and, despite your previous visits, I'm afraid you come into that category.

Leaving your wife unattended while you went off shopping was remarkably brave. I wouldn't!

I'm sure most first time visitors endure similar experiences. Those that learn to avoid the pitfalls return time and time again and cope happily with the "in your face" techniques of the locals.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:15 pm

It wasn't about 'sales'.

The guy who followed me through the streets also followed me into shops. I tried everything to get rid of him. I can understand the locals needing money to survive - I've been a student and unemployed for periods in my life so I know all about struggling...but this was harassment/STALKING! And not one policeman anywhere!

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:29 pm

newcastle wrote:With respect AladdinSane....you need to forget about how you think the Luxor lads SHOULD behave, how you would LIKE them to behave and reflect on your actual experience, Take note of the advice given by Carrie & Hepzibah and do not engage in any way whatsoever.....even a "La Shukran" is two words too many. Your experiences have been endured by many and have echoed down the years....and your views and sentiments communicated to the locals......with no effect whatsoever.

They have an amazing repertoire of introductory phrases to gain your attention and open a dialogue. IGNORE!!

Avoid caleches like the plague.

If you must use a taxi, only do so if you know exactly where you're going, have some idea of the fare, agree the fare in advance and ignore all attempts by the driver to engage you in conversation. It's not a bad idea to ostentatiously take down the taxi number....that way the driver will be wary of trying any funny stuff....perhaps.

The locals can smell a "newbie"....and, despite your previous visits, I'm afraid you come into that category.

Leaving your wife unattended while you went off shopping was remarkably brave. I wouldn't!

I'm sure most first time visitors endure similar experiences. Those that learn to avoid the pitfalls return time and time again and cope happily with the "in your face" techniques of the locals.
My partner is an experienced traveler and very streetwise (she sorted the alcohol out with a street vendor) - unfortunately she isn't too good on her legs these days and can't walk long distances. We saved a fortune buying alcohol, water and juice on the streets rather than pay the prices on the boat. I enjoy haggling and I realised we would get some hassle from the locals. The point I'm trying to make is the EXTENT of the hassle we received.

On previous visits (I came by myself in 2008 and walked everywhere alone) the hassle was moderate. And I was NEVER followed into any shops or anywhere else. THIS time it was annoying and upsetting! Many tourists would have hopped on the next plane! Luckily, we had a boat... :D

And don' t get me started on Aswan! :x :D

Whilst my partner visited Abu Simbel I got off the boat and went looking for a corkscrew. A similar experience occurred with a young man providing an unwanted escort through the Souk and surrounding shops. I got my corkscrew, though! :wi

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:44 pm

My partner is an experienced traveler and very streetwise (she sorted the alcohol out with a street vendor)
As you discovered yourself, being a seasoned traveler and streetwise is no defense to the unpleasant attention you are likely to attract in Luxor.

That the street vendor returned with the goods, and charged (I assume) a reasonable rate for doing so, was little short of miraculous. :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:45 pm

AladdinSane wrote:
On previous visits (I came by myself in 2008 and walked everywhere alone) the hassle was moderate.
A lot can happen in ten years, not least when the 'Arab Spring' took place and 'Revolution' in Egypt during that time.

You have reminded me of the recent Jeremy Clarkson article in the Sunday Times - The past is another country, and if I ever think of visiting again, I hope they deny me a visa. :)
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:47 pm

newcastle wrote:
My partner is an experienced traveler and very streetwise (she sorted the alcohol out with a street vendor)

That the street vendor returned with the goods, and charged (I assume) a reasonable rate for doing so, was little short of miraculous. :lol:
And no doubt a little dodgy too. ;) ;)
-Aldous Huxley

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 pm

newcastle wrote:
As you discovered yourself, being a seasoned traveler and streetwise is no defense to the unpleasant attention you are likely to attract in Luxor.

We made sure we paid AFTER he brought back the booty. Drinkies and the Off-License was closed (to us) but I bet that's where he got it! :D We probably paid more than the actual price for the booze (12 pack Stella/6 bottles of wine/bottle of Vodka) but imagine my joy when I realised the bottled wine on board (the same brand) was being sold for 3 times the price we'd paid for it! :lol: :wi

Rant over! Well; nearly...
Stay tuned for the account of our experience on board the MS Royal Viking! ;)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Thu Nov 15, 2018 12:50 am

There is something about some tourists that touts etc can smell out. They have an uncanny ability to suss out the vulnerable. No more la shukran nno more anything. Ignore completely.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:16 am

Honed by decades of travelling alone, as a single woman, my approach in the majority of countries that I visit:

never make eye contact, walk purposefully and confidently even if lost, totally ignore all who shout/approach, continue walking at a brisk pace if they step in front of you - they soon move! - alway find out the going rate for a taxi BEFORE taking one, always state the price you'll pay before getting in the taxi and walk away if the driver doesn't agree, if faced with a persistent hawker start screaming - any language will do as you'll immediately be surrounded by people intervening/helping.

I've visited Luxor many times and only once encountered serious and persistent hassle, from a very well known would-be "friend" already married to several foreign women. In the end I lost it, stepped right up to him, very close, and explained that if he said one more word I'd punch him in the face. Yes, risky and probably stupid, but he could see I was absolutely serious - I'm a tall and largish woman, I was extremely angry, and I'd have done him serious damage! I'm not suggesting for a moment that any one else should do the same, but have to say it worked! Carrie and I saw him a few days later at the Lotus pool with one of his English wives. Hmmmm.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:50 am

I have all this hassle from these Caleche drivers who automatically think any lone male walking wround is gay and up for it. Most boast about their bananas who think they're God's gift! I've got used to all this and totally ignore them completely. However if i'm in a playful mood I'll play them at their own game and usually it works and they drive off.

The place to avoid in Luxor is the Caleche depot opposite the Luxor Temple. (I believe the roof burnt down recently) It's best not to walk on that side of the road. Another way to avoid is walk in the opposite direction to the guy that's hassling you as they cant turn around due to traffic.