Luxor Souk

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

AladdinSane

Luxor Souk

Post by AladdinSane » Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:17 am

Is bottled water available in the Souk? Also; would I be able to buy a man's gallibaya there - how much would a gallibaya cost?

I believe towards the end of the Souk - approaching from front entrance near Macdonald's - is where the locals buy goods; is this where I would find water and a gallibaya?

If I walked to the end of the Souk would I be able to find an exit to enable me to find the wine/beer shop? Or would I be better walking past the station to find it? I believe it's about 200 metres bearing left from the rail station.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Luxor Souk

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:26 pm

What is generally known as 'the locals souk' is at the other end of the ' tourist ' souk and well away from McDoonalds.
To get to it you could either walk all the way through the tourist souk, more or less a straight line, until you come to the exit by the road. ( If you look across the road to your left you wiĺl see the Emilio Hotel.) Go across this road and continue walking and you will find yourself in the local's souk. I don't know where to advise you to go for a gents galabaya there but I have certiainly bought quite a few ladies ones shoulder to shoulder with Egyptian women and hassle free.

From old vague memory, there are some non touristy male clothes shops in Station St.closer to the station end than the souk. I went once with friends and the place we were in reminded me of gentlemen's out fitters of years gone by, suitable for the more mature man than teens and twenties.

Bottled water can be bought just about anywhere. Just find out what is an accepable price first. I don't know for sure as it is eighteen months since I was last there, but I would think for a 1.5L bottle the price should be about LE5 +/- a bit. I seem to remember paying LE13 in the hotel and LE 3 in one of the larger supermarkets.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Sep 01, 2018 1:50 pm

Not sure if it's still open, but if you stand outside the post office with your back to it, upstairs opposite in the side street was Radwan's, which had a good selection of clothes.
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:12 pm

Don't buy anything in the tourist souk, it is what it says a souk for tourists. Follow Hepzibah's directions and go to the Egyptian souk, yes it is open every day despite some locals telling you it's not. Men's gallabeya's usually take 3 meters of material and if you go in the souk there are men selling ready cut lengths. Inspect them carefully and then ask the price it will no doubt be ridiculous shake your head walk away and he will ask you how much you are prepared to pay, now this is all down to your bargaining skills and the quality of the material. Decide how much you are prepared to pay for one before you set out and stick to that. In the tourist souk the one nearest to McDonald's there is a tailor called Nashat, he is very good, buy the material and take it to him to make up. Sounds as though your going to have a busy time here in Luxor.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:31 pm

Nashat is brilliant, also his nephew Rami who works with him. His workshop will be one of the first places I visit when I return - when im snapping up sales bargains in the UK it doesn't matter if they don't quite fit properly. Rami and Nashat will always make items a perfect fit for a very reasonable price.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Sep 02, 2018 7:58 am

Yes, visiting Nashat is ALWAYS part of my Luxor itinerary! He can copy any garment, so I take him my favourite trousers and tops etc, and within a couple of days I've got new ones! Magic! I usually buy cotton fabrics in the souk - there's an excellent shop run by a lovely Coptic man, right at the end of the tourist souk. Just as you leave the tourist souk to cross the road to the Egyptian souk, his shop is on the right hand side with doors from the souk and from the road. Can't remember his name, perhaps Carrie can?

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:29 am

Thanks for all the advice. Appreciated.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:36 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:What is generally known as 'the locals souk' is at the other end of the ' tourist ' souk and well away from McDoonalds.
To get to it you could either walk all the way through the tourist souk, more or less a straight line, until you come to the exit by the road. ( If you look across the road to your left you wiĺl see the Emilio Hotel.) Go across this road and continue walking and you will find yourself in the local's souk. I don't know where to advise you to go for a gents galabaya there but I have certiainly bought quite a few ladies ones shoulder to shoulder with Egyptian women and hassle free.

From old vague memory, there are some non touristy male clothes shops in Station St.closer to the station end than the souk. I went once with friends and the place we were in reminded me of gentlemen's out fitters of years gone by, suitable for the more mature man than teens and twenties.

Bottled water can be bought just about anywhere. Just find out what is an accepable price first. I don't know for sure as it is eighteen months since I was last there, but I would think for a 1.5L bottle the price should be about LE5 +/- a bit. I seem to remember paying LE13 in the hotel and LE 3 in one of the larger supermarkets.

Thanks for the info.

Is the wine/beer shop easy to find? - I believe it's situated not that far from the rail station? I know how to get to the rail station but not sure how to find the wine/beer shop?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:50 am

I've no idea about the alcohol shops in Luxor.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:10 pm

I had a Galabiyah made for me for 35le back a few years. Off the peg 20le. Probably more these days. When first in Egypt being new to it all I paid 100le. The material was nicer than usual. It was a Nubian style in deep blue. I gave it to someone who needed it more than I. In the backstreets off the Egyptian market you can find Galabiyah Taylor's.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:20 am

Alcohol Shops ?
Mitcho's: opposite Post office, Station St.
Drinkies:1 Next to railway St on the right.
Drinkies:2 Opposite Om Kalsoum Cafe heading North past Abu Haggag Mosque.
William: Who delivers: Up to station turn left 2 shops on your right.

West Bank: La Galta and Abu Salon's 100 yards from Police check-point toward the bridge on your right.
Also a couple in the Coptic Quarter, you'll need a taxi driver to locate those.... 8)
Ps: I recommend Drinkies Station, government fixed prices and good air/con.
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:20 am

Was there not a fire in the Egyptian Souk recently? Has it reopened? When we lived in Luxor we used it alot. Agree with posters about Nashat, he made all all my shirts to perfection. Als great lightweight trousers and copied lightweight cargo shorts for the hot summer months.