Docking In - Cruise Ships

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Docking In - Cruise Ships

Post by crewmeal » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:51 pm

As far as I'm aware, most cruise boats no longer stop at Esna. Certainly none of the past three I've been on have stopped there. If yours does stop, then yes - the temple is only a short stroll from the dock.
Our boat night stopped at Esna but no one was allowed off for security reasons. The tour around the temple was also cancelled the next morning again for security reasons. Whether it was to do with EID celebrations or not I’m not sure.

British tour operators don’t usually encourage temple visits at Edfu because of the way the horses are kept. Believe me I saw some really sad sights there. However there are plenty of Tuk Tuks to take you to the temple if you so wish. But you may well be hounded by the hawkers.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:29 pm

AladdinSane wrote:What would be the price of a caleche to the temple? Are there any shops near the temple where we could buy bottled water etc?

Regarding Aswan (we're there for two days) - would we be able to walk from the boat into the town itself?
As others have said they have a monopoly on tourist transfer by caleche at Edfu, as for buying bottled water just take some with you from the boat.
Yes at Aswan the boat moores up at a Cornich similar to Luxor, you can walk to most of the places such as the Nubian Museum, Cataract Hotel and of course the 'Unfinished Obelisk' quarry site, but it can be a plod if it is hot, but certainly doable if you take it steady. :up

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:57 pm

crewmeal wrote:
As far as I'm aware, most cruise boats no longer stop at Esna. Certainly none of the past three I've been on have stopped there. If yours does stop, then yes - the temple is only a short stroll from the dock.
Our boat night stopped at Esna but no one was allowed off for security reasons. The tour around the temple was also cancelled the next morning again for security reasons. Whether it was to do with EID celebrations or not I’m not sure.

British tour operators don’t usually encourage temple visits at Edfu because of the way the horses are kept. Believe me I saw some really sad sights there. However there are plenty of Tuk Tuks to take you to the temple if you so wish. But you may well be hounded by the hawkers.
When I did the cruise in 2007 there were no excursions to the temple at Esna and our cruise guide wouldn't take us - probably due to security reasons - so we ventured off the boat and took a stroll; we were immediately surrounded by children asking for baksheesh - I felt like the Pied Piper as they followed us everywhere! My partner wouldn't walk to the temple because she didn't want to walk through the Souk - to be fair to her, it did feel intimidating and we'd noticed that the police were all armed with rifles. I'm hoping that this time, they'll be an opportunity to visit the temple of Khnum.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:05 pm

Horus wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:What would be the price of a caleche to the temple? Are there any shops near the temple where we could buy bottled water etc?

Regarding Aswan (we're there for two days) - would we be able to walk from the boat into the town itself?
As others have said they have a monopoly on tourist transfer by caleche at Edfu, as for buying bottled water just take some with you from the boat.
Yes at Aswan the boat moores up at a Cornich similar to Luxor, you can walk to most of the places such as the Nubian Museum, Cataract Hotel and of course the 'Unfinished Obelisk' quarry site, but it can be a plod if it is hot, but certainly doable if you take it steady. :up

The price of bottled water on board can be expensive. We're hoping to stock up in both Luxor and Aswan. I've visited the Nubian Museum and the Cataract Hotel on a previous visit. I'd like to see more of Aswan itself - is it possible to walk from the boat to shops or a supermarket? - I've always wanted to try 'Aswanli' the dark beer made in Aswan.

Staying on the subject of alcohol - where can I buy Stella Premium (dark beer) in Luxor? Is the wine/beer shop still open near Luxor Station?

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:34 pm

AladdinSane wrote:
Horus wrote: The price of bottled water on board can be expensive. We're hoping to stock up in both Luxor and Aswan. I've visited the Nubian Museum and the Cataract Hotel on a previous visit. I'd like to see more of Aswan itself - is it possible to walk from the boat to shops or a supermarket? - I've always wanted to try 'Aswanli' the dark beer made in Aswan.

Staying on the subject of alcohol - where can I buy Stella Premium (dark beer) in Luxor? Is the wine/beer shop still open near Luxor Station?
I know it's the common thing with Brits that the best way to keep hydrated is to drink plenty of water, actually the best way is to drink either hot coffee or hot tea,. You will need to go to the toilet less, and certainly perspire less,........if you don't believe me as an Egyptian. Alcohol is a big no no during the day.

In Asswan the best places for reasonable priced beer was the Asswan Moon Restaurant or its neighbour, though not so now. You could try the New Abu Simbul Hotel, very much a less than one star hotel. There are a couple of 'speak easy' joints I know there, but I fear you would have to be old school to appreciate such dens.

Have to admit, never heard of Asswani beer.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:51 pm

Cruise Boats ? sitting around for years, no tourists except a few lazy crew on incredibly low wages burning diesel .
Awaiting the ever return of the 'punters, Whilst below decks the cockroaches are breading like it's no tomorrow.... 8)

NB:Females can produce seven egg capsules in a lifetime, each holding as many as 48 eggs. The capsules stay attached to the mother until the eggs start to hatch.

"Be afraid very afraid...they are not all little 'skitty creatures...
A Dr recommends: 'a lighter & aerosol canister of Hairspray...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:03 pm

A-Four wrote:I know it's the common thing with Brits that the best way to keep hydrated is to drink plenty of water, actually the best way is to drink either hot coffee or hot tea,. You will need to go to the toilet less, and certainly perspire less,........if you don't believe me as an Egyptian.
Absolute rubbish. It's well known, by everyone else but you it seems, that tea is a diuretic.

Chemically, diuretics are a diverse group of compounds that either stimulate or inhibit various hormones that naturally occur in the body to regulate urine production by the kidneys.

As a diuretic is any substance that promotes the production of urine, aquaretics that cause the excretion of free water are a sub-class. This includes all the hypotonic aqueous preparations, including pure water, black and green teas, and teas prepared from herbal medications. Any given herbal medication will include a vast range of plant-derived compounds, some of which will be active drugs that may also have independent diuretic action.
Carpe diem! :le:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:33 am

A-Four wrote: actually the best way is to drink either hot coffee or hot tea,. You will need to go to the toilet less,.........
:a68: :a78:
This warm summer night, I have been sweating like crazy, jumping around in a fast Bollywood dance after a feast of very hot, Indian delicacies with lots of dry red wine and salty/spicy snacks. Wonderful evening. :wi

Walking home, I was dying of thirst and stopped to buy something refreshing, as I had nothing in the fridge but beer and Champagne and I really had enough :wi . I came home with fresh apple juice, lemons, cold ginger beer and Fanta. All I could drink was black tea, something I hardly ever drink outside Egypt. Now I cannot sleep.
:a22:

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:41 am

A-Four wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:I've always wanted to try 'Aswanli' the dark beer made in Aswan.

Staying on the subject of alcohol - where can I buy Stella Premium (dark beer) in Luxor?
Have to admit, I have never heard of dark Stella, but I would love to know where I can get it. :br

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:53 am

BENNU wrote:
A-Four wrote:
AladdinSane wrote:I've always wanted to try 'Aswanli' the dark beer made in Aswan.

Staying on the subject of alcohol - where can I buy Stella Premium (dark beer) in Luxor?
Have to admit, I have never heard of dark Stella, but I would love to know where I can get it. :br

"Stella Premium is Egypt's contribution to the global beer community. Launched on 11th September 1997, Stella Premium has put Egypt back on the International beer map and raised Egyptian brewing to a new international standard. The longer brewing time gives it a higher alcohol content of 5% and more flavour. It is richer, darker and sweeter".

I've seen it in the Hurghada duty free. A blue label I think, as opposed to the usual green.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:06 am

Stella Premium ?
Drinkies next to the Train Station, It's strong and as it's shopping day over the Dark Side.
I'll buy a bottle and report back the price, % vol... 8)
Sophocles.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:23 am

BENNU wrote:
A-Four wrote: actually the best way is to drink either hot coffee or hot tea,. You will need to go to the toilet less,.........
This warm summer night, I have been sweating like crazy, jumping around in a fast Bollywood dance after a feast of very hot, Indian delicacies with lots of dry red wine and salty/spicy snacks. Wonderful evening. :wi

Walking home, I was dying of thirst and stopped to buy something refreshing, as I had nothing in the fridge but beer and Champagne and I really had enough :wi . I came home with fresh apple juice, lemons, cold ginger beer and Fanta. All I could drink was black tea, something I hardly ever drink outside Egypt. Now I cannot sleep.
Any doctor or dietician would tell you for thirst, your best choice should have been plain water. Your other choices all contained sugar which just makes you thirsty. The more sugar, the greater the thirst. Fanta is the worst: about 15 teaspoons per can. :a13: Beer and champagne were sensibly avoided; both high in sugar. Tea has caffeine, a stimulant.

Water first always for quenching, then something flavoured (with little sugar preferably, eg. add lemon juice) for enjoyment.

For countering the heat of spicy food, cold milk has been proved to be more effective than anything. (I would have enjoyed your meal). :eat

I know this doesn't apply to you in this situation, Bennu, but constant and especially extreme thirst is a firm indicator of Type 2 Diabetes. Anyone experiencing this should seek medical advice quickly.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:26 am

Winged Isis wrote:
BENNU wrote:I was dying of thirst and stopped to buy something refreshing ... :wi . I came home with fresh apple juice, lemons, cold ginger beer and Fanta. All I could drink was black tea
Any doctor or dietician would tell you for thirst, your best choice should have been plain water. Your other choices all contained sugar which just makes you thirsty. The more sugar, the greater the thirst.
I know, but all I had was tea, no sugar, no milk. :ct Now I'll have coffee, water and apple juice and take a can of ginger beer with me out in the rain.
:a47:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:50 pm

:) Enjoy the rain. We finally have some here after months of drought. Sadly not enough so far. :a47:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 1:23 pm

Aladdinsane:....a Dr writes:....

"So a pretty mad Saturday, as usual. I bought a 500ml of Sakara el King 15%abv at 30 le. Drinkies.
Tastes like sh*t.....
Chatting to my shopping pal, he reckons your talking about Nubian Dark Beer from a brewery down South.
He stated "it was a great beer but they stopped importing it to Luxor taxes or something.
He did add you might still be able to get in Aswan, never tried it personally.

I hear they brew Guinness extra smooth down there in Nigeria 6%abv,
another beer available we don't get here, fools....
Mind you, this sounds interesting: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guinness_ ... xtra_Stout

We need an off-shoot of CAMRA over here, good luck!..... 8)

Ps: As beers go they have some serious history:
Guinness West India Porter, the direct predecessor of Foreign Extra Stout, was first exported from the St. James's Gate brewery in Dublin in 1801.[5] The product was formulated for Irish immigrant workers in the Caribbean.[6] The beer was only brewed between October and April, which reduced acidification, and was matured in large wooden vats for up to two years, which gave the finished product greater stability.[7] To survive the long journey overseas, which was then taken by ship, it was brewed with extra hops and a higher alcohol content, which acted as natural preservatives for the beer.[5] Exported in barrels, the product was then bottled locally, which helped to reduce costs.[8]
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Ps: Almost forgot 'sh*t-loads of Old Bill (Police) over there all looking very smartly turned out,
roads closed ect.
So upon inquiry, loads of Philippines Policemen are staying in The Winter Palace.
Obviously some police 'charabanc, no doubt seeing how good our Police Force are, they will probably
pop over here to de bright-side to look at old stuff..... 8)
Sophocles.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:55 pm

I hear they brew Guinness extra smooth down there in Nigeria 6%abv,
another beer available we don't get here, fools....
Dr, when I was last in Nigeria at the actual Guinness brewery in Ikedja around the year 2000 they were producing a bottled version at 9% Abv :sd and it would knock you sideways. :o That too was a lovely smooth beer, pity it is not available in the UK.

Another interesting fact was that all their bottles were recycled and some were so opaque that they looked to have been sand blasted.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:17 pm

BENNU wrote:

After such a wonderful time as this at the end of a very warm evening, just before bed, take a hot shower then gradually reduce the temperature finally to a quick cold burst. Dry off and with the aid of a nice black tea, you should nicely slumber off peacefully to sleep. :wi .

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:22 pm

Floating cockroaches...get a felluca or use The Sudan..my tip!.... 8)
Sophocles.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Thanks for all the advice relating to alcohol. Going back to my question: Is it possible to walk from the boat to shops or a supermarket in Aswan?