What the hell is happening

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

What the hell is happening

Post by Major Thom » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:26 pm

I have just had a copy of a holiday quote from a booking company, friends tried to book presumably on the Red Sea. because it stated Sea Views.

Not included in the price per person (Which I thought was High anyway) is

14% VAT
1% City Tax
12% Property Tax

They told me they were not booking because they were taking 2 children who are also under the service to pay these prices. Instead are going to Morocco.

Just as I was writing this a pop up came on to say the Extension Visa is doubling in price from next month. If a 6 month extension now costing 1150le is doubled, add on the fact you have to leave the Country and pay for flights etc, and then 2 lots of entry visa's its becoming an expensive place to live

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: What the hell is happening

Post by Dusak » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:36 pm

No problem, its common knowledge that we can afford any increases, bring it on I say. :mo
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 pm

According to my latest information, they are now handing out 12 month " tourist" visas to those who own a residence in Egypt.

Cost : 1105LE

At least, that's the situation in Sharm and Hurghada.

Whether the Luxor office decides to follow suit, or whether Dusak ( notwithstanding qualifying) is given the usual runaround, I wouldn't care to speculate.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:23 pm

I'm no expert on Egyptian coastal prices. I am fairly familiar with Morocco and the costs involved in a holiday there. I would be interested to know if your friends make any savings on their holiday by going there, assuming they chose a fairly 'like for like' hotel/resort. Of course, there are more flight options from the UK, and prices on the whole (but not always) are cheaper than flying to Egypt. Hotel prices are, almost without exception, higher than in Egypt. Eating out, like any where, can be extremely cheap (but you need to know where to go and generally not be worried by a 'spit and sawdust' environment, or very expensive, with a middle ground in between ( often for the type of food that is trying to emulate western fast food style. Transport is a lot cheaper than the UK, but probably much more than Egypt (taxi's do have meters but you'd be amazed at how many have 'just broken today'.
Oh, and booking sites for Morooco usually identify various taxes too.
One saving will be made on not having to pay for a tourist visa, but then that really isn't that much of a saving when compared to Egypt - especially if their original plan was Sharm for two weeks as I think that is still visa fee free.
As I said earlier, I'd be interested to know how the costs really compare.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:30 am

I had an e-mail waiting for me when I rose this morning Hepzi, they said that with everything including a 15 and a 16 year old the savings were just over 400 GPB but their hotel star rating had gone up.

The last inclusive holiday I booked was to Iceland, through the same company but the total price was the total price, I have just looked at the receipt, there was no mention of "Not Included in your holiday" I seemed to remember posting on this before from a neighbour who told me the same thing, the advertised price did not include this, that and the other, but cannot find it now. (Rather I cannot be bothered scrolling back) ha ha! I posted then because I had never seen this section of taxes not included and wondered if anyone else had. Not good for the tourist industry at all.

I wonder if they are looking to rise the cost of the Airport Visa, It would not surprise me at all, just like they are crippling the local people they are crippling the foreigners living there too but by twice the amount with their stupid draconian rules, makes you wonder what will come next, 2 x visa's for locals every year, locals having to leave every year, (Pay for flights and re entry visa) etc etc. I am sure that there are some worried ex pats living in Luxor that are struggling and if the worse comes to the worse are wondering financially what to do. More so those without work permits, that are working to make ends meet.

I have no doubt you are correct Newc about the coastal resorts, but Luxor has always applied its own rule, at one time you did not need visa's to visit the Red Sea Resorts.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:41 am

Just as I was writing this a pop up came on to say the Extension Visa is doubling in price from next month. If a 6 month extension now costing 1150le is doubled, add on the fact you have to leave the Country and pay for flights etc, and then 2 lots of entry visa's its becoming an expensive place to live
I just got my 6 month postal tourist visa from the Egyptian Consulate in London for £20. MT Isn't there a consulate in Cyprus?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:00 am

Major Thom wrote:I had an e-mail waiting for me when I rose this morning Hepzi, they said that with everything including a 15 and a 16 year old the savings were just over 400 GPB but their hotel star rating had gone up.

The last inclusive holiday I booked was to Iceland, through the same company but the total price was the total price, I have just looked at the receipt, there was no mention of "Not Included in your holiday" I seemed to remember posting on this before from a neighbour who told me the same thing, the advertised price did not include this, that and the other, but cannot find it now. (Rather I cannot be bothered scrolling back) ha ha! I posted then because I had never seen this section of taxes not included and wondered if anyone else had. Not good for the tourist industry at all.

I wonder if they are looking to rise the cost of the Airport Visa, It woulöd not surprise me at all, just like they are crippling the local people they are crippling the foreigners living there too but by twice the amount with their stupid draconian rules, makes you wonder what will come next, 2 x visa's for locals every year, locals having to leave every year, (Pay for flights and re entry visa) etc etc. I am sure that there are some worried ex pats living in Luxor that are struggling and if the worse comes to the worse are wondering financially what to do. More so those without work permits, that are working to make ends meet.

I have no doubt you are correct Newc about the coastal resorts, but Luxor has always applied its own rule, at one time you did not need visa's to visit the Red Sea Resorts.
How conveniently timely that you should have received an email overnight from your friend. As holidays go, in this day and age, £100 per head saving is not that huge. We have to assume that is for a 'like for like ' holiday/resort, but I'm going to hazard a guess that the saving is being made on flights and not the accommodation. Hotel star ratings mean very little. They can be useful to compare within a particular country but not between different countries. Also, it has to be consider which star rating is being used - the one the hotel holds and displays, or the ratings given by a booking site - as these can vary. Ratings systems can vary depending on who you book with.

The subject of hidden, or addon, costs on booking websites was brought up by yourself but I, and I believe others, expressed a different opinion to you based on their own reasonably extensive experiences.

Your comment about visas for the Red Sea is factually incorrect. Please read my last post again, or better still check the facts on the Egyptian Consulate website.

Major Thom, you could save yourself a lot of angst and writing time if you read other people's responses to your posts. It would also save you making so many mistakes and help you avoid sharing misinformation.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:15 am

With all these sudden morning ''pop ups'' and the odd ''Look, I rose this morning, therefore I still can,'' then the new air must be doing you wonders. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:36 am

crewmeal wrote:
I just got my 6 month postal tourist visa from the Egyptian Consulate in London for £20. MT Isn't there a consulate in Cyprus?
I think there may be some confusion here between a tourist visa, as applied for in advance or bought at point of arrival, and the cost of extending a tourist visa once in the country.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:49 am

I think there may be some confusion here between a tourist visa, as applied for in advance or bought at point of arrival, and the cost of extending a tourist visa once in the country.
'Visa' is a very confusing word when dealing with Egyptians, there's plenty of posts about the subject on just about every forum to do with the country.

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:27 pm

crewmeal wrote: I just got my 6 month postal tourist visa from the Egyptian Consulate in London for £20. MT Isn't there a consulate in Cyprus?
I thought the visa from the Egyptian Consulate was valid for 6 Months but only gives you 1 Month stay in Egypt.

Sent from my S9 using Tapatalk

DJKeefy
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by DJKeefy » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:32 pm

DJKeefy wrote:
crewmeal wrote: I just got my 6 month postal tourist visa from the Egyptian Consulate in London for £20. MT Isn't there a consulate in Cyprus?
I thought the visa from the Egyptian Consulate was valid for 6 Months but only gives you 1 Month stay in Egypt.

I will answer my own post [emoji38]

I looked at the Egyptian Consulate website and it says 60 days.
Single Entry Visas are valid for 6 months and allow a maximum stay of 60 days in Egypt ONLY

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:35 pm

crewmeal wrote:
'Visa' is a very confusing word when dealing with Egyptians, there's plenty of posts about the subject on just about every forum to do with the country.
I don't really think there is need for so much confusion when it comes to a normal holiday tourist visa. Where it does get confusing is the various and numerous different reports and experiences of those trying to [repeatedly] extend tourist visas. However, the confusion, as far as this forum is concerned, is compounded when certain members refer to differing visas or aspects of them without being clear in their remarks what they are really referring to.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:20 pm

I am not sure where the savings were made Hepzi, but I believe it to be a package holiday, instead of a flight and hotel package. The reason I got an e-mail was because I wrote and asked precisely what they had done.
Anyhow being a family holiday they seem to have made a good saving, but again it may be due to it being a package holiday.

On the other hand my neighbours went to Sharm a few weeks ago and said their holiday was quite cheap. So it may be just the places people travel to.

Regarding visa's the only ones I know of is the Airport Visa, used to be 25$ then the extension visa from the passport office which was a 6 month visa. I believe that every time you leave now, you have to buy a new entry visa at the airport. It does seem a lot of expense now though especially when your year is up and you have to fly out of the Country, normally have a Hotel for a couple of days or so and then return, make it more unsettling for business owners and property owners I suspect. You would be surprised now how quite a few fly to Cyprus for a few days and go home, it may have taken over from going to Doha now there are no flights direct from Luxor. Just for instance how much are the extension visa for 6 months from the passport office, there seems to be more than one price.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Major Thom wrote:I have just had a copy of a holiday quote from a booking company, friends tried to book presumably on the Red Sea. because it stated Sea Views.

14% VAT
1% City Tax
12% Property Tax

They told me they were not booking because they were taking 2 children who are also under the service to pay these prices. Instead are going to Morocco.
OK... time to state the obvious.

If you had seen a copy of '...a copy of a holiday quote from a booking company, friends tried to book presumably on the Red Sea. because it stated Sea Views.' and been observant you would know where it was for. I cannot think that any quote is going to state 'Sea Views' without giving more information such as the hotel and location.
Major Thom wrote:I am not sure where the savings were made Hepzi, but I believe it to be a package holiday, instead of a flight and hotel package. The reason I got an e-mail was because I wrote and asked precisely what they had done.
Anyhow being a family holiday they seem to have made a good saving, but again it may be due to it being a package holiday.
Ref both quotes above: A quote from a booking company would also include the flight part if it was being booked through them as part of a package deal. It would also identify any extra costs such as tax.

You have given a situation which appears to be (from the information you have chosen to give us all) comparing Apples and Pears instead of Apples and Apples.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Single Entry Visas are valid for 6 months and allow a maximum stay of 60 days in Egypt ONLY
Yes DJK you're right the postal one which I paid £20 for is valid for 60 days. I'm staying for 40 days this time. The multiple e-visa I applied for (because I wanted to come in May but couldn't) was issued on 30th April and is only vaild until 29th July. Now some say on other posts it's vaild for 6 months from first entry, some say it isn't. So i decided to apply for a postal visa which I have now got.

I do not want the hassle of going to an office in Luxor with my label visa hoping they'll extend it for a week.

Not sure whether to take the e-visa with me to see who is right, I would hate to confuse the immigration officers :)

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Major Thom wrote:I have just had a copy of a holiday quote from a booking company, friends tried to book presumably on the Red Sea. because it stated Sea Views.

14% VAT
1% City Tax
12% Property Tax
I am about to book a hotel in Cairo, my friends will be staying at the same hotel and have sent me a link to Booking.com, where they have booked their room. I have always found said agency far too expensive at least in Egypt, but the price was a little lower than what I had just found on Travelrepublic. This surprised me until I saw a note saying that not included was:

14% VAT, 1% City tax, 12% Property service charge.

I do not believe that this is new, but it will at other agencies be included in the price shown.

:ct