Surely it cannot be true!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Surely it cannot be true!

Post by newcastle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:23 am

A-Four wrote:
I would love to tell you all of ANOTHER property 'tax' that is being proposed, which is truly hysterical ..........have not got time,...... .
:a11:

:a84:

:58: :58: :58:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:27 am

Major Thom wrote:I believe they booked a hotel and a flight from the same internet booking company Hepzi, I do know though it was Booking.com. At first I was unsure what they were saying and had to fully understand the extras they had to pay, but they stressed they had extra taxes and what they called an area/city tax on top of what they booked.

Just for peoples information when we sold up in Luxor we were 50/50 to if we had done the correct thing or not, because we were capable of saving a good deal of money each month, obviously this saving has dropped due to the fact of costs where we live to Luxor costs. But now we know we did the right thing, the more we read posts on and bout Luxor the more we feel confident our move was the correct one. the increase in costs, the visa situation, the recent 50% rise in water charges etc etc, but most of all the medical situation, or lack of medical situation, at our ages was a very worrying thing for us. I am not really into slating Luxor but in reality just wish what was promised led to an upturn in things. It has not! to us it just seems to get worse. Some posts make us cringe with horror on here. Everything that happens seems to be for the worse, not just for ex pats but for local people too, and of course tourism. We both full know that there are people that love Luxor and in some cases love living there, but these amount of twists and turns that are going on, even the courageous will turn their backs.

Even without reading whats happening on this site, we still hear from tourists here that used to go to Egypt religiously but have now found new destination to holiday, so although this site gives maybe a more accurate detail of what is happening, some stories coming out via tourists are horrific. Hopefully one day the quest for military dominance and security frights will disappear and the place will calm down, until then we do not think the Country has a chance of improving. A pity really because we knew it in its tourism glory, before it died on its feet, when most had work and an income, when the place was buzzing with tourism, and people wanted to go to the historic sites, its such a sad reflection on what it used to be now. I suppose there will be a day when I myself will stop posting and when that day comes you will know that the uncertainty about leaving Luxor will be complete.

The thing that we wonder is how long the IMF will be running the Country financially, it was a move that had to be done, but has really damaged the place.
You've moved! God, I prided myself in keeping up to date with events. When did that happen then?
A-Four wrote:
Major Thom wrote: The thing that we wonder is how long the IMF will be running the Country financially, it was a move that had to be done, but has really damaged the place.
You give the impression here MT, that the Government of Egypt have fully implemented the conditions of the IMF loan, not so. So far they have squeezed the poor to almost breaking point. It is now the turn of the rich,..........and some of the proposals I've seen are quite astounding,.....to say the least.

Pensioners and the seven million civil servants are to get a pay rise of 15%, while inflation is only 12%, good news one might say, that is until you realise that this time last year inflation was 33% (urban). God only knows what rural inflation was.

We are informed that unemployment has fallen from 12% to 10%. There is presently debate in Government to cut the civil service by FOUR MILLION,...I joke not. There is also talk of privatising the Egyptian Railways,........all this is music to ears of the IMF.

I would love to tell you all of ANOTHER property 'tax' that is being proposed, which is truly hysterical that if implemented would be quite serious for Luxor, especially the WB, have not got time,...... though I am sure, the usual suspect on here can take the credit of informing you of the full details,.... :wi :wi :wi .
And this is why so many are up in arms. The pensions are going to increase, but the daily needs are increasing more at the same time. This will not only wipe out the increase, but actually cause an even more loss of cash in their pockets. Reminds me of a favorite song of mine,

''there may be trouble ahead,
but while theres moonlight and music and love and romance,
let's face the music and dance.

before the fiddlers have fled,
before they ask us to pay the bill,
and while we still have the chance,

soon, we'll be without the moon,
humming a different toon,
and then, there may be tear drops to shed.
so while theres moonlight and music and love and romance,

let's face the music and dance,''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:01 am

MT! Are you and Scottish Tourist related in any way? Your posts these days are so similar to each other in so much as nothing is ever right in Egypt for both of you. Many of us on here enjoy what Egypt has to offer and yes we occasionally run into problems, but these are usually overcome without all the dramas that you seemed to have had.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:26 am

crewmeal wrote:MT! Are you and Scottish Tourist related in any way? Your posts these days are so similar to each other in so much as nothing is ever right in Egypt for both of you. Many of us on here enjoy what Egypt has to offer and yes we occasionally run into problems, but these are usually overcome without all the dramas that you seemed to have had.
Can you imagine what their offspring would be like? :lol: :lol:

Obsessing over matters that no longer concern you - day in, day out - Heaven knows what a psychologist would make of it.

Poor MT....the living example of "A fool and his money are soon parted"

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:00 pm

Even though I play the pipe's I am not related to ST and we have never met.

Anyone can come under that slogan Newc. unless you get everything you purchase at local price and I suspect nobody does that is not local, so the slogan "A fool and His or Her money" applies to all, biggest things are building materials, and articles at non priced retail outlets. Sorry but being a lot happier, has now outweighed the thieves and vagabonds. I am sure that Luxor will die in my mind in a few months in the same way it is dying on its feet now, created by crippling prices demanded, and the "I Spy" Game. I personally don't really care anymore about the place or my comments about the place, I am not under pressure to apply for a visa twice a year or have to keep my trap shut, or in fact under the rule of the Security thumb. The freedom is fantastic, and its freedom that the Country needs to look into rather than ruling with a heavy stick, people would be far more responsive.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:19 pm

unless you get everything you purchase at local price and I suspect nobody does that is not local, so the slogan "A fool and His or Her money" applies to all,
I beg to differ....and I suspect there are others on here who learned quite quickly how to go about buying anything locally.

But you never did, never bothered to learn the language, treated the Egyptians with contempt and no doubt were seen as "easy pickings" - and deservedly so - by all the merchants in Luxor :lol:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:01 pm

I never ever encounter problems, if it's an expensive item then I send a mate, other than that I'm a happy go lucky guy.
I tell them 'no problem I'm a rich 'howadga and in a lot of their eyes I am.
I'm a baby boomer never had it so good, it's all a matter of mind ! 'I don't mind and it don't matter.
Time for You my friends is short and the older you get the faster it gets. Then kiss your arse goodbye... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:37 pm

If you are looking for a place to live comfortably full time for the rest of your lives, maintaining a specific lifestyle, expecting entertainment for your age and culture, a village in North Africa is perhaps not the obvious choice.

My personal decision was to buy a modest home in my city from where I could travel as a backpacker for as long as I wanted and perhaps one day settle in something more appropriate, maybe even with someone to share the mortgage.

Before I knew it, I had nested in an almost bizarre town to which this city girl loved returning from Copenhagen or my many trips to Cairo. When I thought it was time to move on, I gave West Bank a chance and found even more of what was missing in my life at that time, knowing that things could change any day and that I could leave with gratitude any moment. A couple of years later, I found a place that was and still is just right for me, and if that ever changes, I can pack my dresses, my shoes, lipsticks and handbags and get out of here with my European passport, my memories and my precious freedom.

Most days, to the envy of bellydancers alł over the world, I train with professional musicians who master the kind of music that lives in my heart, but I do not have to give up enjoying live jazz, opera, football, champagne, single malt, fine chocolate, midnight sun, snow or my two little grandchildren. Everything is within reach, just not at the same time. I can live with that.

:a32:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:28 am

My Arabic is quite good thank you mainly taught to me by the locals, because in a small village if you did not learn you could not mix. My first words were Busa al a Teezak and I happened to use that a lot when shopping or ana mish ish mish terry minach.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:31 am

You must hear "póso malákas íse?" a lot in your new abode :urm:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 am

phpBB [video]

'Goodbye.... 8)
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:08 pm

Major Thom wrote:My Arabic is quite good thank you mainly taught to me by the locals, because in a small village if you did not learn you could not mix. My first words were Busa al a Teezak and I happened to use that a lot when shopping or ana mish ish mish terry minach.
Interesting MT that the first Arabic words you learned translate as Kiss my Arse. My I ask why someone was saying this to you?

The first Arabic word I learned was Shukran - Thank You. :up
Smile! It confuses people

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:06 pm

Quote:"Interesting MT that the first Arabic words you learned translate as Kiss my Arse.
My I ask why someone was saying this to you?

Because Egyptians have a great sense of humour..... 8)
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:33 pm

Who2 wrote:Quote:"Interesting MT that the first Arabic words you learned translate as Kiss my Arse.
My I ask why someone was saying this to you?

Because Egyptians have a great sense of humour..... 8)
An even greater one when you realise "teezak" is "kiss YOUR arse"! :lol:

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:38 pm

I asked them in actual fact, for future reference... :lol: Took a lot of getting over but they understood why in the end.