Surely it cannot be true!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Surely it cannot be true!

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:24 am

I heard yesterday that when tourists book through agencies such as booking.com, there are now extra taxes that have to be paid, such of the likes of CITY TAX!!!, and the equivalent of purchase tax... Surely this cannot be true or even correct. I have never heard of this before, and of course it will never effect me, but has anyone heard of this? surely if true this is really nailing the coffin lid on a flat tourist industry. I may have missed it in an earlier post, in which case I apologize for the post, but if it is correct, it also proves just what the real and hidden economy of Egypt is all about.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Surely it cannot be true!

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:32 am

It is nothing to do with Egypt as such. It is common to see various taxes identified on many booking sites for various countries, including the UK.

Perhaps you should do some research before trying to slam Egypt again.

Why don"t you stop trying to make mountains out of molehills.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:52 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:It is nothing to do with Egypt as such. It is common to see various taxes identified on many booking sites for various countries, including the UK.

Perhaps you should dk some research before trying to slam Egypt again.

Why don"t you stop trying to make mountains out of molehills.
It beggars belief that MT posts such crap....but then...maybe not. :urm:

Since when did Egypt have a City Tax? :lol:

Booking.com is pretty explicit in what taxes (purchase tax, government taxes etc) are, or are not, included when you book a hotel through them.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:23 am

I use Booking.com and as newcastle states, they place all ''extras'' on the final section of the booking. These extra costs very dependent on which country your looking at, and the hotel itself. The hotel can choose if they include or add on VAT and service tax, which is usually 10% 7.5% respectively. The guest house that I'm staying at in Thailand include the 10% government tax, but the service tax is an extra payment. What I have noted if you are booking direct with a lot of places to stay via Booking.com, they register your booking with a £1 !$ or one Euro to hold your booking, but only except cash payments on your arrival, especially in Thailand. So do you think that these extra percentages would be declared? I think not.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:24 am

It is true in Italy and as far as I remember, Morocco, but not here. I am having a little break in Luxor city, booked online through Sofitel.
:a65:
Breakfast alone is worth what I have paid and nothing will be added, except room service.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:25 pm

I am only stating what a recent tourist found they had to pay out, the extras came up apparently after the hotel room had been quoted. I have never heard of this myself and I use one of these booking agencies frequently. This person booked for Luxor so it seemed correct to post about it, and this is a Luxor site. Regarding other Countries I know nothing about, but if its the case that they are now charging extra its a travesty, especially when these Countries need the cash. When most foreigners have left and do not come under the "Get out of the Country every year", (Goodness knows the airfare, the cost of a hotel etc), 25 $ Airport Visa, 2 x extension visa's at a huge cost to what they used to be, a partner tax of around 200le a month. The savage increases for entry into the historic sites, increase in food costs, fuel, electric, water There cannot be a lot left to attract people. Am I wrong in what I state or am I correct, or is it some turn their heads to these increases. That is not slating Egypt, that is telling the truth, I appreciate sometimes the truth is hard to take. I did read about Yildiz at one time wanting to live in Luxor, and because of Yildiz's love for Luxor at the time it seemed to make sense, but then in a post on another section they mentioned the visa problems and the stress it puts people under, would not want to subject themselves to the stress's and strains. To me there is a person who has looked into things and made their minds up what would be best for themselves. I am very sure Yildez has made the correct decision. Good for them, and I applaud Yildiz for not being willing to put up with have to adapt to a stressful life. I imagine that the visa problem stress's and strains will only increase in the future, as will the cost of living. It seems Yildiz is like ourselves and live a non problematic life. You get problems all the time if you are a foreigner in another Country, but at least most Countries have a system that is easy to follow and the person is not shelling out all the time. Sorry I cannot say much more, but you all know we lived there for 8 years, and things just got so confused and muddled that they should now stop, and start again... I do realise that living there is far more confusing than it is to a tourist, who travels there every so often and does not see half or goes through half of what Luxor residents do.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:44 pm

. Am I wrong in what I state or am I correct
Wrong....as usual.

BTW....compliments to the ghost writer :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:12 pm

Major Thom, just so that I can be absolutely clear, was your informant booking a complete package deal, i.e flight and hotel, or hotel only?
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:27 pm

I believe they booked a hotel and a flight from the same internet booking company Hepzi, I do know though it was Booking.com. At first I was unsure what they were saying and had to fully understand the extras they had to pay, but they stressed they had extra taxes and what they called an area/city tax on top of what they booked.

Just for peoples information when we sold up in Luxor we were 50/50 to if we had done the correct thing or not, because we were capable of saving a good deal of money each month, obviously this saving has dropped due to the fact of costs where we live to Luxor costs. But now we know we did the right thing, the more we read posts on and bout Luxor the more we feel confident our move was the correct one. the increase in costs, the visa situation, the recent 50% rise in water charges etc etc, but most of all the medical situation, or lack of medical situation, at our ages was a very worrying thing for us. I am not really into slating Luxor but in reality just wish what was promised led to an upturn in things. It has not! to us it just seems to get worse. Some posts make us cringe with horror on here. Everything that happens seems to be for the worse, not just for ex pats but for local people too, and of course tourism. We both full know that there are people that love Luxor and in some cases love living there, but these amount of twists and turns that are going on, even the courageous will turn their backs.

Even without reading whats happening on this site, we still hear from tourists here that used to go to Egypt religiously but have now found new destination to holiday, so although this site gives maybe a more accurate detail of what is happening, some stories coming out via tourists are horrific. Hopefully one day the quest for military dominance and security frights will disappear and the place will calm down, until then we do not think the Country has a chance of improving. A pity really because we knew it in its tourism glory, before it died on its feet, when most had work and an income, when the place was buzzing with tourism, and people wanted to go to the historic sites, its such a sad reflection on what it used to be now. I suppose there will be a day when I myself will stop posting and when that day comes you will know that the uncertainty about leaving Luxor will be complete.

The thing that we wonder is how long the IMF will be running the Country financially, it was a move that had to be done, but has really damaged the place.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:39 pm

Major Thom, if you go to Booking.com and do a trial search - Select Luxor, select a hotel, select dates, number of people, etc - and then check the price out for yourself. Then, still using booking.com choose the same standard of hotel in another country, and also the UK.

Then, use another booking site such as Expedia and do the exercise again.

What you may find is that the prices are similar but the breakdown will be different. I have generally found that some identify the tax to be paid whilst others absorb any taxes within the main price.

I'm quite sure that this is not a specific tax price attached just to Egypt holidays.
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:37 pm

Sounds great to me! 'Just me myself & I and probably Dusak...
'tara, didn't I tell you this years ago, but does anyone listen ? Noooo..... 8)
"Peace in my time 'la whaala!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:28 pm

The writing is on the wall for the Clubs in Ibiza - the locals are fed up with them. The government is reducing the amount of tourist accommodation places quite drastically so I expect the clubbers will be heading to Cyprus. Numbers there are increasing of the Stag groups and as Greece is so strapped for cash I guess they will be welcomed with open arms.

You have been warned MT. ;)
Smile! It confuses people

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 pm

[quote="Mad Dilys"]The writing is on the wall for the Clubs in Ibiza - the locals are fed up with them. The government is reducing the amount of tourist accommodation places quite drastically so I expect the clubbers will be heading to Cyprus. Numbers there are increasing of the Stag groups and as Greece is so strapped for cash I guess they will be welcomed with open arms.

You have been warned MT. ;)[/quote]

True MD...and although I partook of them freely when I lived there 1995-2005. there was already a growing problem with the locals.....particularly as many of the parties never actually ended!!

Although the big clubs are outside the town, the sheer volume of visitors, and their need for accommodation is overwhelming this beautiful island.

And the cost of holidaying there has gone through the roof.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:33 pm

[quote="Mad Dilys"]The writing is on the wall for the Clubs in Ibiza - the locals are fed up with them. The government is reducing the amount of tourist accommodation places quite drastically so I expect the clubbers will be heading to Cyprus. Numbers there are increasing of the Stag groups and as Greece is so strapped for cash I guess they will be welcomed with open arms.

You have been warned MT. ;)[/quote]

True MD...and although I partook of them freely when I lived there 1995-2005. there was already a growing problem with the locals.....particularly as many of the parties never actually ended!!

Although the big clubs are outside the town, the sheer volume of visitors, and their need for accommodation is overwhelming this beautiful island.

And the cost of holidaying there has gone through the roof.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:51 pm

Major Thom wrote: The thing that we wonder is how long the IMF will be running the Country financially, it was a move that had to be done, but has really damaged the place.
You give the impression here MT, that the Government of Egypt have fully implemented the conditions of the IMF loan, not so. So far they have squeezed the poor to almost breaking point. It is now the turn of the rich,..........and some of the proposals I've seen are quite astounding,.....to say the least.

Pensioners and the seven million civil servants are to get a pay rise of 15%, while inflation is only 12%, good news one might say, that is until you realise that this time last year inflation was 33% (urban). God only knows what rural inflation was.

We are informed that unemployment has fallen from 12% to 10%. There is presently debate in Government to cut the civil service by FOUR MILLION,...I joke not. There is also talk of privatising the Egyptian Railways,........all this is music to ears of the IMF.

I would love to tell you all of ANOTHER property 'tax' that is being proposed, which is truly hysterical that if implemented would be quite serious for Luxor, especially the WB, have not got time,...... though I am sure, the usual suspect on here can take the credit of informing you of the full details,.... :wi :wi :wi .

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:31 pm

I've just remembered...when I used to stay at the Emllio Hotel in Luxor, a document showing the tarrifs and with an official looking stamp (or it could have been Mr Emile's personal one for all I knew or cared) was pinned to the room door. I'm sure it used to specify a tax or taxes too. The same with the invoice.

This possibly happened in other hotels I stayed at too but I probably didn't pay it any attention.
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:49 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:I've just remembered...when I used to stay at the Emllio Hotel in Luxor, a document showing the tarrifs and with an official looking stamp (or it could have been Mr Emile's personal one for all I knew or cared) was pinned to the room door. I'm sure it used to specify a tax or taxes too. The same with the invoice.

This possibly happened in other hotels I stayed at too but I probably didn't pay it any attention.
I don't as a rule these days involve myself with these ever on going wind-ups, but in this matter Hepzibah, you are correct, you should have noticed a postage stamp with a seal over it, similar to such years ago in Europe, not so much in the U.K., but then again you would see it on old legal documents in England, with a signature over it.

Each hotel room in Egypt had to show the official room rate, and this was priced in U.S. $., for those of the international market. It also showed all taxes, inc local tax.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:30 am

Without the tourist tax we would not have had new public toilets all over Luxor. ;)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:02 am

To be honest I had never heard of these taxes and I use Booking.com a lot to travel and book hotels. I have never looked at other sites, and basically asking to see if other travelers had heard of this, or if it was something new. Normally when I book the price is what they say it is. I thought it was a strange one, and did not know if it was just an application applied to certain Countries. Thanks all for the info though.

A4 I was thinking along the lines that now its payback time they have run into trouble getting the payback cash together, so they are trying everything in their pockets to deflect the possibility of failure away from the politicians running the Country. I don't think the demands for the loan have been met, and therefore it would explain the gigantic cost of living rises. Just in case if they fall back I wonder how they will explain it? Cutting government support etc seems to be a good idea around the world at the moment though. The UK is a prime example, what with the NHS, emergency services, railways etc etc. To do it at the rate Egypt is doing may well be fatal, especially for the poor and those trying to feed families. Support seems to be getting cut on a monthly basis now. The rises amounting to 50% and more are not really acceptable, and salaries are nothing like rising to accommodate these cuts.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:14 am

Have they made more corners then Bennu to accommodate the need for more loo's :lol: :lol: