Luxor - Via Hurgada

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Luxor - Via Hurgada

Post by Dusak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 10:45 am

Well, I first rang up the help line about my wrong dates, very nice sounding Yank girl sorted it out for me, but there was a charge of 765Le to change the dates on the outward bound flights. Not worth arguing the toss, so I headed off to the office, changes hod to be made before 4pm.

As I sat with the same guy that sold me the tickets a few days ago, all the inquiries I had made before paying came back. I know I stated that I was looking for a round one month trip starting on or about the 16th of August, coming back on or around the 16th of September. He offered me three dates in August to choose from, two in September, so I know he new it was for August. No amount of debate will persuade me to except it was a mistake on my side, he knew what I wanted. I firmly believe that it was purposely done. It would of cost me another 10,000Le at the airport, that's if they had any seats left, for a one way ticket as the return ones were OK. I say this as it was probably my initial sarcasm that possibly ****** him off. My first question was obviously how much it would be before I proceeded. When he gave me the round trip price I said sounds good value for money, he just looked at me and said it will be considering the exchange rate your getting in Egypt. So I sarcastically said yes, we foreigners are positively rolling in it. My only reason for being sarcastic was as I have stated before on here, I get tired of being reminded how much I am making on the exchange rate from various shopkeepers.

Should of kept my mouth shut, should of double checked the ticket when I had paid. At least he only charged me 565Le, so saved 200.

As for newcastles comment on the now locked post, concerning the safety of Thailand, Pattaya is about the same as here, do not openly insult the police, army or the royal family in public, oh, and Buddha. I must of watched over a hundred vloggs on Pattaya, covering all topics from people living there. Same as visiting anywhere, don't be stupid. And you do not need a visa, the first month is free and very easily extended.

As for Who2's as to why I'm going there for a month, yes, it is to tie into my next visa, but its a holiday that I desperately need, away from here for awhile. Good food choices, good choice of international drinks, good entertainment if I want any, nice long strolls along the beach road. A complete chill out with a couple of books. One thing that I'm not interested in is ANY kind of local boom boom, their term for it. But, I would have no problems having a chat and a pint with a LB. I have made some good friends among the local vloggers, so there are going to be many ''men nights'' so we can fix the world. All I have to do before I get there is figure out this stupid so called smart phone that I'v bought.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:12 am

I'm not sure Pattaya would be my destination of choice in Thailand but LOTS of opportunity for FUN!! ;)

I expect you like Thai food - especially curries.

Just one phrase you might find useful....”Mai Pet” - this means “not hot”...it won’t mean no chillies but it might bring it down to a level where you can just about eat it without suffering Incendiary Anal Discharge!

“Mai Prik” is NO chillies at all.....but be careful how, when and to whom, you use the phrase.

And remember, if you bring a "friend" back to Egypt, Thais are one of the nations who have to apply for a visa in advance. :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:25 pm

I've probably taken more easily to the basic Thai phrases over the last few months than I have with my Arabic over the last decade or so. Funnily enough, I've never much cared for Thai curry, with the exception of black chilly bean sauce with beef. But all my sadly missed favorites are well catered for. I much prefer to say goodbye to a friend than take them home, less housekeeping and more cost effective in the long run. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:09 pm

I have contact details of an old mate, (if you need them) who sold up his Clerkenwell printing company for millions and went out there to play golf.
His son John told me on his first visit that "the old man owns 5 bars full of birds younger than my missis"
"It's a diabolical liberty, he's takin the f***in berties"
That's basically 'cockney 'bertie short for liberty, this is an old cockney family and a father that thinks he's 30 again!.... 8)
Have fun!!!
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:58 pm

carrie wrote:Don't forget that foreigners are not allowed to travel from Hurghada to Luxor and back during the hours of darkness. Have you looked at Pegasus Airlines, UK - Istanbul, Istanbul = Hurghada. Hotels in Hurghada are pretty cheap so an overnight stay there wont break the bank and an excellent taxi company (that Newcastle told me about) ABC does pick ups at the airport to your hotel.-
all Tour buses travel back to Hurghada after 6 p.m each evening on their day trip Hurghada/Luxor.

on my return trip I left Luxor at 6 p.m. and arrived in Hurghada at 10.30 and no problem with security police on route.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:44 am

lotusflower wrote:
carrie wrote:Don't forget that foreigners are not allowed to travel from Hurghada to Luxor and back during the hours of darkness. Have you looked at Pegasus Airlines, UK - Istanbul, Istanbul = Hurghada. Hotels in Hurghada are pretty cheap so an overnight stay there wont break the bank and an excellent taxi company (that Newcastle told me about) ABC does pick ups at the airport to your hotel.-
all Tour buses travel back to Hurghada after 6 p.m each evening on their day trip Hurghada/Luxor.

on my return trip I left Luxor at 6 p.m. and arrived in Hurghada at 10.30 and no problem with security police on route.
Yes. the day trip buses travel from Luxor to Hurghada in the dark......but they are supposed to leave Luxor by 6pm at the latest.

This being Egypt, I doubt the odd straggler would be turned back (presumably at Tiba, the first "check").....the logistics of dealing with a bus load of tourists with nowhere to stay would see to that. But I expect the tour company would have some awkward questions from the authorities.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:06 am

Who2 wrote:I have contact details of an old mate, (if you need them) who sold up his Clerkenwell printing company for millions and went out there to play golf.
His son John told me on his first visit that "the old man owns 5 bars full of birds younger than my missis"
"It's a diabolical liberty, he's takin the f***in berties"
That's basically 'cockney 'bertie short for liberty, this is an old cockney family and a father that thinks he's 30 again!.... 8)
Have fun!!!
I've noted on the vloggs that in Pattaya there is a hotel bar and restaurant called The Golf club, another bar by the same and something else golf related. The hotel one caters for golfers, arranging trips out to the golf courses. Could be your mate.

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:06 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:The price of air fares to Luxor are a major contributing factor in my choice not to return.
I recently booked two Hurghada returns for next January. £159 each. Factor in a night in a Hurghada hotel and taxi fares to Luxor and back and I figure we're looking at £225 return each.

Okay, it's not as desirable as a direct flight or even one via Cairo but it shows that it doesn't have to break the bank to get to Luxor.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:04 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:The price of air fares to Luxor are a major contributing factor in my choice not to return.
I recently booked two Hurghada returns for next January. £159 each. Factor in a night in a Hurghada hotel and taxi fares to Luxor and back and I figure we're looking at £225 return each.

Okay, it's not as desirable as a direct flight or even one via Cairo but it shows that it doesn't have to break the bank to get to Luxor.
True......Dec-Mar returns, if you book well ahead are less than 200 quid.

Alas, personally, I'm not able to plan that far ahead.

And if you want to come to Egypt April- October (although Heaven knows why people do. It's too hot)...... the prices skyrocket.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:34 pm

FarleyFlavors wrote:

Good prices. Cost of a night or two in Hurghada is irrelevant as you'd have to pay for a night somewhere anyway.

Great if you can go whenever you want and not constricted by work and time commitments.

Also not ideal if you only have a week as you lose even more in travel time to get to Luxor.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley