Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by crewmeal » Sat Mar 17, 2018 7:37 am

Anyone out there using a good VPN that doesn't crash when your watching Coronation Street or anything else? I cannot stand watching BBC World but prefer Sky News.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Virtual Private Network (VPN)

Post by Yildez » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:17 am

I use Smartstream Crewmeal. It costs £13 every 3months and I've never had any problem with it in the last 5 years. However, when I'm in Luxor, although my VPN works fine, the internet speed is so poor that I find it almost impossible to watch UK TV.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:23 pm

One wonders why anyone in Egypt would even want to watch UK TV or any TV except,
of course unless it's Coronation Street or as MT likes The Bill or even reruns of Z Cars....8)
Ps: The only thing I found remotely interesting on TV whilst in Blighty, was The Wine Show oh! & Jamie's' 15 min Meals..
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I can watch UK Tv to my hearts content here Dr, and have a two week catch up facility. You forgot Eastenders, 24 hours in Emergency, Good Morning Britain, Lorraine, Jeremy Kyle, Phil and Holly, Loose Women, Judge Rinder, Dickinsons Real Deal, Tipping Point, The Chase, then the News to go to bed on 3 times a week while sat on one of the balconies with a bottle of Red listening to music from the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's on Radio Sunshine. Then a quick 15 lengths and to bed. :lol: I use ESET Security to get the programs and that is fed into my MAG Box.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Mar 17, 2018 2:48 pm

I didn't realise you were such a connoisseur of intellectual TV. :ct

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:42 pm

Whilst I'm reliably informed 4G has reached Egypt I don't believe it's reached the banks of The Nile yet, so one has to make do with 3G. So if anyone's interested I've bought this device from Maplin which has proved itself even in the outposts of Edfu and Kom Ombo.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-3g-n1 ... vice-a25lw

However buy now before the store finally closes for good.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon Mar 19, 2018 6:34 am

Major Thom wrote:I can watch UK Tv to my hearts content here Dr, and have a two week catch up facility. You forgot Eastenders, 24 hours in Emergency, Good Morning Britain, Lorraine, Jeremy Kyle, Phil and Holly, Loose Women, Judge Rinder, Dickinsons Real Deal, Tipping Point, The Chase, then the News to go to bed on 3 times a week while sat on one of the balconies with a bottle of Red listening to music from the 60's, 70's 80's and 90's on Radio Sunshine. Then a quick 15 lengths and to bed. :lol: I use ESET Security to get the programs and that is fed into my MAG Box.
Watching so much UK TV surprises me that you then have the time left to go out on your interesting revival night music fests, but then again I suppose you record them. Can't understand why you wanted to say good by to such an interesting and vibrant place like Luxor to just watch TV all day and night in another. Is it really possible to defy logic?
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Mon Mar 19, 2018 7:05 am

One of the problems faced by expats who are unable to integrate into the surrounding society is what to do from dawn to dusk once the essentials of eating, sleeping and going to the toilet have been accomplished.

Many turn to reality TV, Corrie, Eastenders and the like.

Having endured UK TV for a fortnight I'm seriously considering admitting myself to a mental asylum for some light relief.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:06 am

It's Winter "D" the entertainments and places are just all starting to open again, so many like ourselves stay at home or go shopping or whatever, in the Winter only 20% of the places put on entertainment. Now the weather is warming up 26C yesterday and the skies are full of planes flying in everyday the nightlife is also picking up. I see its going to be 36C today in Luxor so seems like another long and very hot Summer for you. I remember them well, lack of power for the AC Units and low brightness lights. We have had 1 power cut in 1 year so they could update the transformer, and only 35 mins.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:21 am

Not watched TV for yonks don't even know if my TV still works. Better things to do with my time.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 4:12 am

Cannot even think of what Carrie, apart from stonking around in the baking sun and coffee shops. We got sick of temples and things like that they are basically the same Gate, courtyard, pillars, inner sanctuary. Same for the Tombs, same for the shops, poor quality and tat. In our last couple of years there we lost sight of anything to do, and found it hard to stimulate our minds. Our last New Year there was good at the Marsham and we often popped in there for a coffee. Many thought we were being funny, but the truth is we were just bored with not getting any excitement. The most excitement in the final months were taking a picnic and going fishing on the Nile, probably dropping off if the fish were not biting.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:13 am

You ever heard of books MT? I love to read, I have just painted a beach scene for my friend, I am busy knitting damned bobble hats for when I go to Turkey, (by the way I am sick of them Yildez on to cardigans now) I love to potter with my plants. Started going to the domino club and learning how to play tri dominos. I am trying to learn a little Turkish, especially the numbers and simple phrases. Planning where to go in Turkey, what I want to see. Not so lazy that I have a cleaner, so house cleaning. Go out to dinner with friends a couple of times a week. Doesn't give me a lot of time for watching TV in which I have no interest. Certainly not UK programmes. My life consists of so much more that discussing the latest events in Eastenders or the latest tribute band. I am off to Gebel el Silsila next week, my favorite site and one I have been to many times before and only those with very limited intelligence or imagination would describe that site as just a load of pillars and once seen forgotten.
I have a very interesting full life without the tele.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:29 am

Dropping off the boat is OK if you can swim. :up Then the fish may bite. :td I have a very interesting time, each day, just being me.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 am

I have always believed that only very boring people complain that they're bored. How could anyone possibly be bored with all that is open to them? Books, ancient history and historical sites, natural history, gardening, assisting in any sort of voluntary organisation, and of course the internet - a whole world at your fingertips. As I child I was encouraged to have an inquiring mind - a two edged sword as my questions sometimes drove my mother to drink!! - and I have maintained that into old age, actually a second childhood in my case now I no longer have to give the majority of my attention to a demanding job.

I knit winter hats for Syrian refugees living here in Turkey - the majority in plastic tents, in bitter winter weather, with almost no possessions - and have got Carrie on the job also. I go to a women's group, Stitch 'n Bitch, one afternoon a week, I teach a few ladies watercolour painting one morning a week, I have an active social life ( that doesn't include karaoke or tribute bands) and I'm a voracious reader, usually at least 2 books on the go at the same time. Because I have a VPN, the original point of this thread, I occasionally watch UK tv, but certainly not the soaps! Arts and history programmes in the main.

I now wonder how I ever found the time to work? I find it almost impossible to understand how anyone with a modicum of intelligence can say that they're bored. As I said at the start, they must be truly boring people, sad really.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:01 am

I only read newspapers Carrie, gardening and plants is what my wife is into, so TV and my music are my interests during the Winter months similar to Luxor I suppose, but in the Summer we are never at home, mainly between the beach sunbathing and snorkeling, up to Troodos for a great scenic drive, into Coral Bay for the odd coffee, and in the evenings into the bars and restaurants for the entertainment. It can and does get cold here in the Winter and really you need central heating, or some form of heating, many have wood burners, we have a gas fire. I am away for three days now and on the plane yesterday evening we were discussing the fact how short the Winter has been in Cyprus. I was saying that where we used to live the temps are already up to 37C and maybe 40C (They are always out a few degree's).
Anyway getting back to VPN we use one for our MAG Box at home to get British TV, it is programmed in by the Shop that supplies our TV, we get just short of 3000 channels and 5 different film stations. When the TV starts its comes up on the screen something about Avira Phantom VPN so I presume that is why we get British TV, it must be giving the signal we are in the UK. I am in the hotel at the moment and it seems the same here, because we get loads of UK programs.

dsuk
United Kingdom

Post by dsuk » Tue May 29, 2018 3:22 pm

crewmeal wrote:Whilst I'm reliably informed 4G has reached Egypt I don't believe it's reached the banks of The Nile yet, so one has to make do with 3G. So if anyone's interested I've bought this device from Maplin which has proved itself even in the outposts of Edfu and Kom Ombo.

maplin-3g-n150-wireless-mobile-wi-fi-device-a25lw

How did you get on with this device? I bought one before my local store closed but won't be off to Egypt for a couple of months.
Did you need to do anything special regarding APN settings?

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed May 30, 2018 7:03 am

Talking of Corrie the Weatherfield embalmers must be similar to the ones in ancient Egypt, Aiden committed suicide almost a month ago, no talk of a funeral or anything yet. Unless of course he is in a freezer somewhere!! :lol: :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Wed May 30, 2018 7:13 am

How did you get on with this device? I bought one before my local store closed but won't be off to Egypt for a couple of months.
Did you need to do anything special regarding APN settings?
It's as good as the network you're using. It's been fine using Etisalat up and down the Nile, but it can be painfully slow at peak times. I always take my device (plus passport) down to the shop on Television Street and order the sim card I need. They quite often have 2-4-1 gig offers, so buy what will suit you. Phone companies also have their own devices but they are expensive ranging from 600le for a Vodafone up to 1000 for an Etisalat one.

If you're streaming it does get hot and drain the battery so don't forget your charging device via a USB.

For info the only UK device suitable is available at 3. It costs around £60 and you get a small amount of data which you have to pay for. It's 4G but that's as only good as the network you're on.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm

crewmeal wrote:Whilst I'm reliably informed 4G has reached Egypt I don't believe it's reached the banks of The Nile yet, so one has to make do with 3G. So if anyone's interested I've bought this device from Maplin which has proved itself even in the outposts of Edfu and Kom Ombo.

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/maplin-3g-n1 ... vice-a25lw

My Vodafone mobile in Luxor this year was getting 4G for much of the time on the West Bank.

Maplin in Worcester still had the 3G device you mention when I looked at lunch time today. I decided that I don't need it at only 70% off. If it goes to 80% I might pick one up.