Cruising with Jane Mcdonald

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Cruising with Jane Mcdonald

Post by crewmeal » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:23 pm

Just been watching the above programme. The boat in this episode sailing in Vietnam and Cambodia is similar to Nile cruise ships. I hope she'll venture down The Nile in a future episode like Joanna Lumley did as there is a lot to see and do. I'm sure she'll enjoy herself.

https://www.my5.tv/cruising-with-jane-m ... /episode-7

(For those in the UK)

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Cruising with Jane Mcdonald

Post by Major Thom » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:18 am

Didn't someone do a Nile trip 4 or 5 years ago? I just seem to think it has been done. I may be wrong but seem to think I have seen a celebrity doing the Nile..

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:22 am

Joanna Lumley might spring to mind MT.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:38 am

Yes, as mentioned by crewmeal and Carrie, Joanna Lumley did make a programme about the Nile. Jane McDonald's programne is very different in format though. It is much more about the actual cruise - the boat and its facilities, the service, getting to meet fellow passengers, etc. - and the different types/styles of cruises available depending on world location.

Just because one celebrity ( and I use that word loosely) has 'done' the Nile, it does not mean that someone else is not going to bring something else to the viewer.

Jane McDonald is a bit of a 'Marmite' experience for me. Some times I like and at other times totally not to my taste. Be that as it may, a Nile Cruise experienced and presented by her could well encourage more British people to try one for themselves. She has the 'common touch' and is very good at telling it how it is in good old Northern manner.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:08 pm

Michael Palin also featured The Nile in his series Pole to Pole. That version seems a little disjointed as one minute the ship has a 7 hour delay at the Esna lock, then in the next shot he's at Kom Ombo. There was a shot of a dressing up night on an unknown boat as well.

phpBB [video]

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue Mar 06, 2018 6:50 pm

Wow! That's a blast from the past. I'm not sure I actually saw the Pole to Pole series, although I don't know how I missed it. I may have to do something about that...on day.. insh'allah!
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:23 am

I think it must have been the guy, cannot seem to remember Joanne Lumley, or was the Joanne Lumley one where she was trying to find the source of the Nile and was in more Countries than Egypt?

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:58 am

Lumley's old piece on Egypt/Nile didn't hide her lack of interest in the country.

Lumley's more recent series on India is an entirely different program full of emotion and love. In particular it was technically well made with superb camera work and music and gave a full view of India - including the bad bits.

Other than self centered poorly made archaeological trash its decades since a human being like Lumley (with a brain and celebrity) and excellent technical staff did anything worth watching on Egypt.

Its all academic because famous directors and technical staff would want a frank view and therefore end up in jail or subject to a rectal examination following which they would scream to the world media about monstrous local conditions.

It is also decades since any major director came to Egypt to shoot shots - although training in shooting in another sense might be offered.

Its also decades since any Egyptian director who is allowed to live in the country without being in jail made a film that attracted World respect. A few recent achievements have either been banned or made by young people under the radar and who no longer live in Egypt - out of jail.

Doco making just does not seem to be a local skill - whether that is technical skills, political bravery or mindset I'm not sure.

Very oddly, which shows you just how far Egypt is down the toilet, a skilled and brave family of Afgani-Aistralians are running a TV network in Afrgan which features western children's programs, accurate news, travelogues on Afgan which increase knowledge and political debates. Afgan might be a hell-hole but they try harder than others who don't try at all. (Can't find it but the Australians face bombing and daily shooting and promote women).

(I think Lumley is largely underrated - her series of brief monologues Up in Town were remarkably written and acted and showed her great skills

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:13 pm

I think MT must have meant Levison Wood who made a series named 'Walking the Nile' a couple of years ago.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

Hafiz wrote:Lumley's old piece on Egypt/Nile didn't hide her lack of interest in the country.
I seem to remember reading she was quite ill when she did the filming for that. I think she got a very nasty attack of Pharaoh's Revenge early on an it stayed with her for some time.

Hafiz wrote:(I think Lumley is largely underrated - her series of brief monologues Up in Town were remarkably written and acted and showed her great skills
Thanks for that link. I've never seen Up in Town and it's good to see her in a more serious dramatic mode.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:28 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Hafiz wrote:Lumley's old piece on Egypt/Nile didn't hide her lack of interest in the country.
I seem to remember reading she was quite ill when she did the filming for that. I think she got a very nasty attack of Pharaoh's Revenge early on an it stayed with her for some time.

Hafiz wrote:(I think Lumley is largely underrated - her series of brief monologues Up in Town were remarkably written and acted and showed her great skills
Thanks for that link. I've never seen Up in Town and it's good to see her in a more serious dramatic mode.
Yo me, she'll always be Patsy Stone :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:13 am

I think MT must have meant Levison Wood who made a series named 'Walking the Nile' a couple of years ago.
I remember that series. Indeed Mr Wood seemed very nervous whilst walking by The Nile through Egypt. He also came across an incident whete a suspect terrorist was arrested. Mind you I bet his feet were hurting him.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 am

Just a reminder of that series.

phpBB [video]

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:09 am

Another name to add to the list is Dave Myers ( think that's his name) of Hairy Bikers fame. His trip, focussed on food and cooking was very good.

All very different series, with very different goals. Each presenter having strong personalities but coming from a range of backgrounds. For me, it is good that the focuses bave not been on the obvious - history and archeaology - and more on the country, the river, and the people encountered on route.
-Aldous Huxley

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:12 am

Newcastle I think you would be interested in Up In Town. Its a major test of pure acting skill and the camera doesn't move and all there is the face, voice and script. The overall theme/subtext takes a few episodes to fully reveal itself. If nothing it proves she is capable of acting more than one type of character. Highly recommended by me - although that might be a death kiss. How it goes over on a computer screen rather than a TV I'm not sure.

AladdinSane

Post by AladdinSane » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:06 pm

A blonde haired model (Ellie Mc?) also presented a programme whilst being on a Nile Cruise a few years ago on English TV..

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:41 am

I think that Simon Reeve did two programmes involving Egypt - one about the Nile and the other I think was about the Tropic of Cancer Egypt to Oman?
Smile! It confuses people