Silly airfares for summer 2018

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Silly airfares for summer 2018

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Oh for those wonderful days of yore, when you could get direct London/Luxor return flights for £90 - £99 pound. They were usually for a period of nine or ten days in the spring and autumn, to allow for the change over of the seasonal timetables. No worries about the seat pitch as you very often managed to get at least one, if not both, flights with a whole row to yourself.
What a difference 10 years make! The only thing that seems to fly now is time.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

What's the road restrictions from Hurghada to Luxor, are they putting a proper surface on it and making parts wider.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Major Thom wrote:What's the road restrictions from Hurghada to Luxor, are they putting a proper surface on it and making parts wider.
I can't imagine why you have the slightest interest :urm:

But for those contemplating using it.......it's now resurfaced dual carriageway virtually all the way from Hurghada to the desert highway bypassing Qena.

Beautiful mountain and desert scenery in the early morning and traffic very light.

The desert highway itself is fine.....but the last 10Km from Tiba to Luxor town centre could be better.

Tourists are restricted to using the Safaga-Luxor road between 6am and 6pm.

There are 4 or 5 police control points where speed bumps slow down the flow and occasional security checks may occur.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My friend, having just returned from Germany tells me that they are offering return air fares to Luxor, plus a weeks cruse on the Nile, then a week in an hotel, all for 299 Euros. Yes, a no frills deal with no meals included on the flight, but does that matter.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Oh for those wonderful days of yore, when you could get direct London/Luxor return flights for £90 - £99 pound. They were usually for a period of nine or ten days in the spring and autumn, to allow for the change over of the seasonal timetables. No worries about the seat pitch as you very often managed to get at least one, if not both, flights with a whole row to yourself.
What a difference 10 years make! The only thing that seems to fly now is time.
Not just London - I had the choice of Birmingham and Manchester as well as Heathrow, about 4 flights a week in total.

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote:The desert highway itself is fine.....but the last 10Km from Tiba to Luxor town centre could be better.
I don't think tourists are allowed on that road. At least that's what I was told when I last did the trip.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
newcastle wrote:The desert highway itself is fine.....but the last 10Km from Tiba to Luxor town centre could be better.
I don't think tourists are allowed on that road. At least that's what I was told when I last did the trip.
It's been open to tourists for at least the last two years......although it was closed, as you say, some years ago when there were security issues.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I've been on it quite a few times easier getting to Hurghada that way than crossing to the east bank.

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris »

Egyptair are currently advertising Luxor to London starting from £416

However on enquiry at the Call Centre I am told that this price excludes all taxes!!

http://www.egyptair.com/en/Plan/special ... City=Luxor

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

I presume this is for the direct service that ends in May time because when I did a dummy fare it came out at £775 for the usual 3pm departure via Cairo and back.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Newc. I know they had started making the road passable with a bit of comfort but did not know it was finished. Yes you are right I have no interest from my point of view but people do ask about the Country and the best way of getting there. You would have thought the hours of use would be lifted by now because security has been improved, when it is maybe people will take a different frame of mind, has it stands at the moment closed and restricted road make people wonder. I was only asked 2 or 3 days ago about the security of the Country, I replied I have not lived there for a year now and maybe things have improved, always its the same question, "Is the Country safe"

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I've no idea why the nighttime restriction is still in force, but I doubt it affects more than a handful of people in practice. Nor is it applied consistently.

The routine day trips between Hurghada & Luxor are not affected by it as they wouldn't be using it at night anyway.

There are far stranger bureaucratic obstacles the tourist has to face....such as the need to have an Egyptian driving licence, or an International Driving Permit. Again ....seldom enforced.

hatusu
Top Member
Top Member
Egypt

Post by hatusu »

Quote "There are far stranger bureaucratic obstacles the tourist has to face....such as the need to have an Egyptian driving licence, or an International Driving Permit. Again ....seldom enforced".
The driving test to obtain the Egyptian Driving Licence isnt exactly tricky - I had to drive forward 100yds, then reverse 100yds - End of! This was 10 yrs ago so it may have changed since then.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

hatusu wrote:Quote "There are far stranger bureaucratic obstacles the tourist has to face....such as the need to have an Egyptian driving licence, or an International Driving Permit. Again ....seldom enforced".
The driving test to obtain the Egyptian Driving Licence isnt exactly tricky - I had to drive forward 100yds, then reverse 100yds - End of! This was 10 yrs ago so it may have changed since then.
It hasn't much!

The idea that somehow the skills necessary to obtain a European driving licence are "inferior" to those required to obtain an Egyptian one is laughable.

The main difficulty in obtaining an Egyptian licence is not the test, but the negotiation of the bureaucracy to get one - if you're a foreigner!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I thought that the road from Hurghada was closed to foreigners not because of security issues but because of the dangers from crazy drivers who insist on driving this road in the dark without lights. What is it with Egyptians and using their headlights? :)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:I thought that the road from Hurghada was closed to foreigners not because of security issues but because of the dangers from crazy drivers who insist on driving this road in the dark without lights. What is it with Egyptians and using their headlights? :)
If that were the case Carrie, they'd ban foreigners from driving on ALL roads at night :lol:

The Safaga-Luxor road is a bit isolated, with little in the way of habitation. Just the occasional police control. It would be easy to waylay someone....indeed a notorious Luxor/Qena gang ( I forget the name - their leader's in jail) threatened to do so. Moreover, any accident along there would take even longer than usual before help could attend.

Egypt doesn't need another "tourist incident" so I suppose obsolete precautions are left....just in case.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Wasn't he called "the Lion of Zineer"? Another Robin Hood according to some :urm:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Wasn't he called "the Lion of Zineer"? Another Robin Hood according to some :urm:
The Krays of Qena...sort of?

It's come back to me....Yasser Hambouly...currently serving 190 years in clink.

I've not heard of your "Lion"......although Who2 has previously referred to Hambouly as the " Lioness of the Desert"

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

newcastle wrote:
FarleyFlavors wrote:
It's been open to tourists for at least the last two years......although it was closed, as you say, some years ago when there were security issues.
This was only a few months back. I guess my driver never got the memo.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

4 years ago the driving test was a quick handover of 50LE. I was one of 43 taking my driving test for an Egyptian License 4 years ago, all 43 had passed their test in the space of 12 mins. That's why there are so many fatalities on the road. I always thought that like Carrie it was closed for safety reasons, and then when I read the road had been re built virtually I could see no reason for it not to be open.
I would have thought people landing in Hurghada in the early evening would sooner continue to Luxor rather than pay for a Hotel for the night. Is it so bad the Police and Army are too afraid to run a 7pm and 12 midnight convoy?