Golf club

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Golf club

Post by Brian Yare »

Looking through the web-site, this bit caught my attention: "270-yard double– ended driving range with six target greens."

Sounds dangerous to me.

http://www.golfluxor.com/index_files/Page512.htm

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I specifically asked about the dress code, as it just said 'formal'. They came back with a suit and tie for men and a cocktail dress or tailored trousers and tops for ladies.

I also have been told the golf club has been closed for some time.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Who is "they"? Is this a special closed-to-the-public performance?
Carpe diem! :le:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

As I've already said, I would have liked to go to hear/see Aida at the Pyramids but already knew I could not get away at that time. I have to say, if I'd already bought a ticket for this event, some of the comments here would have gone a fair way to ruining in advance a very special treat.

Kaiserbernese, I hope you make the most of the occasion and enjoy this special anniversary performance of Aida in such a unique setting.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I agree with Hepzibah have a wonderful time but take something warm to wrap up.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Thanks Hepzibah and Carrie. I will be wearing a linen jacket and have a pashmina as a back up.

Winged Isis - I'm not sure what your post means but the 'they' refered to the ticket agents from whom I bought the tickets. Thye have also arranged a shuttle from the hotel to the performance.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Reading this post I began to wonder if they still held the multi lingual Karnak sound and light nights. In the past, if the wind was in the right direction, we here in Karnak could just about hear bits of Richards mono tone monologue. I can still remember nearly having my puddings squished out of me as the throngs of eager tourists at the back rammed those at the front of the barriers into a tighter pack as they waited to get in. And what a totally crass event it turned out to be.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

jcoote

Post by jcoote »

Dusak. They were still doing them last May. We accidentally ended up in the German showing. so can't comment much on content, as we didn't really understand much of the narration, but the lighting was pretty! The most annoying thing was that we spent a lot of time in the on site cafe waiting for what we thought was the correct showing, having ignored a little Egyptian boy who kept telling us to go in when we first arrived as the English version had only just started; and yes, we stupidly thought he was just after baksheesh. :(

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Kaiserbernese wrote: Winged Isis - I'm not sure what your post means but the 'they' refered to the ticket agents from whom I bought the tickets. Thye have also arranged a shuttle from the hotel to the performance.
That's what I was wondering. As I explained, there was no dress code when we went. That's good they have organised transport.

Hepzibah, I assume you are referring to me with "some of the comments here would have gone a fair way to ruining in advance a very special treat. "?

I had no intention to spoil the occasion, just gave a fair and honest assessment, as you might read in a professional review. As I seem to be the only one on here who has been, I think I am well qualified to do so. I wouldn't want anyone to get too excited then be disappointed, especially as it's a lot of money for many.

It is also a warning to others, particularly those not particularly keen on opera, which is an acquired taste. It is a very long performance to have to sit through, in not particularly comfortable circumstances, with the typical Egyptian lack of organisation/practicality, if it's not really your thing, and if it's not an internationally recognised and respected cast/production, which it certainly isn't. It is nothing like a production in a Western theatre, which makes it both interesting and unique, and a disappointment in some ways. Keen and regular opera-goers, as am I, will find it special because of the location only. As Hafiz said, unfortunately Egypt doesn't attract the top performers.

To get the most out of it, google Aida and familiarise yourself thoroughly with the story, so you know what is going on before you get there (the pre-show lighting was terrible so made reading the synopsis in the program difficult), and listen to a recording of a performance to get to know the music, which hopefully will make it more enjoyable.
Carpe diem! :le: