Golf club

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Kaiserbernese

Golf club

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Has anyone got any info about the golf club?

I'm returning to Luxor at the end of February and bringing some friends who have never been to Egypt before. They always get in a round of golf wherever they go, but I'm having no luck trying to contact the golf club. All my emails get bounced back, with the message that their inbox is full!

I'd like to try and sort a round of golf for them, as it will mean that I can have a trip out by myself!

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Golf club

Post by Who2 »

I went there over 6 years ago, a pal sold them Palm trees and was counting all the dead ones for replacement.
Not a soul to be seen had a drink in the 19th hole, did spot a solid silver carriage carrying Dodi & Di lookalikes.
The whole place was weird, I doubt very much if it still operates...... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Don't even bother, I sent 7 e-mails to them when I first moved to Luxor, one in Arabic aided by a friend. Never got one reply. I tracked the e-mails and in all fairness see they had been read. I think they have given up until some developer with a pocket full of cash to waste comes in and makes an offer. I can understand why no one played there the green fee's where set and Donald Trump Fee's. Look nice on the brochures but don't know what it looks like now. The Hotel Managers used to play there every week at one time. The last tourist I saw trying to get there was at the Jolie Ville he got a taxi and was back 40 mins later and throwing a paddy.
Maybe the owner gets a kick from being able to say "I own a Golf Club" Where I am now I play 2 and sometimes 3 times a week the golf here is expensive but still only half the price of the Luxor Golf Club was 5 years ago. (According to the brochure)

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The golf club is certainly in need of love and attention. My son used to be friendly with the man who ran it, ex General. The golf buggies were excellent quite fast and beat riding quad bikes in the desert although the greens were rather reminiscent of the desert. Tell your friends to save some money and don't bring their clubs.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I heard that it was now closed, that was about eighteen months back.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

I never found if it was true,
but during the Aida performance at Hatshepsut here they said Sean Connery used to come and play golf.
An urban rumour ? perhapsh perhapsh not.... 8)
Ps: I wonder if one could register those golf carts for road use ? 'just a thought.... OAP's, cripples, lazy people like me.
Sophocles.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Thanks for all of that, I won't waste any more time!

Who 2. Funny you should mention Aida, as I've just got tickets for a performance at the pyramids in March!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:
Who 2. Funny you should mention Aida, as I've just got tickets for a performance at the pyramids in March!
Ohhh! :mrgreen: Lucky You. I'm not a great opera buff but this is one I've wanted to see. As soon as I first saw it advertised I decided I'd like to go. Alas, it is impossible for me to take time off from work. Enjoy it and please come back with a write up about it.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Kaiserbernese wrote:Thanks for all of that, I won't waste any more time!

I am totally overcome with jealousy!!!! Enjoy!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Please let us know how it was, what date is it exactly then I can think about you at the time and have the old green eyed demon eat away at me. Enjoy.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote:Please let us know how it was, what date is it exactly then I can think about you at the time and have the old green eyed demon eat away at me. Enjoy.
Opera info in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39082
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Oh, I'm green with envy! Like the others, it's one location and opera that I would love to have a ticket for! Enjoy every moment! :up

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

When we went it was a very static and minimal performance with a small cast, only saved by the background monuments. As wonderful as they are, not enough to convince my husband to consider more opera. Even an elephant wouldn't have made much impact. :( You'd have to really love that opera, and I don't. As you can imagine, they don't have the budget.
Carpe diem! :le:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

You could always sneak off during the performance and have an evening close up 'butchers-hook at the Sphinx.... 8)
Sophocles.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Saw one a long time ago with a live elephant - underwhelming. The animal left its mark - a few kilos. It distracted attention from everything else.

Acoustics in public areas are usually appalling made worse by the use of often cheap electronic mics/loudspeakers.

The fragile human voice without electronics is so variable according to place because even buffs claim that certain opera houses have appalling acoustics. So even in 'ideal' conditions 'performance' varies widely. In the open its more about display and theater than singing and the limited sightlines of the signers means that the acting gets clouded.

Egypt's inability to attract first rate, or even second rate, singers is interesting. Its a bit like the performers they get at the Farag Opera House. Third and fourth raters from Eastern Europe. Few if any quality popular performers come to Egypt - although occasionally a cash poor geriatric turns up. From the live point of view Egypt is cut off from the world - pretty much by choice and according to preference about the evils of western influences.

With many performers political views might lead them to stay away.

On a related issue it would be interesting to know the fees paid to those Hollywood type idiots who make 'regular' promotional visits to the Pyramids. The tax fraudster Messi comes to mind. All they could get to the recent Youth Summit was a burnt out old Hollywood husk.

As with much else - Egypt trails trends. The Hay day of open air opera was 2 or 3 decades ago - nowadays there is a trend of using smaller/more intimate inside venues. I can remember that the great Kiri (definitely not great in my view) did open air recitals - but that was 4 decades ago and not repeated much in the decade after that. The Greeks do it but in the tiered theaters of Herod Atticus and the superb acoustics of Epidaurus. The general filth/garbage of the Pyramids precinct doesn't help.

Someone needs to fire/update the Culture/Tourism Ministry or get some brain transplants for them.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Yes, I know I've been very lucky! I've now got to decide what to wear, as the dress code is formal and I've never been to an opera before. I really just want the experience of seeing it at the pyramids, I can't imagine anything better! I will certainly let you know all about it and I'll also be doing a blog, as usual.

This could be my last trip to Egypt, so I want it to be brilliant! I'm bringing my adult son with me too, as he came with me on my first trip in 2006, when he was at uni. The addition of two family friends will make it special too, as they haven't been to Egypt before. I only wish I could have convinced my husband to come too!

It will be funny showing them around and not doing my usual 'off piste' visits. I think they would get bored!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Can be chilly at that time of year in the evening so make sure you have a warm scarf with you.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Kaiserbernese wrote:Yes, I know I've been very lucky! I've now got to decide what to wear, as the dress code is formal and I've never been to an opera before.
Have you a special invitation that states formal wear is required? If not, just wear what you want. There is no standard expected otherwise. When we were there, there were tourists in the usual informal tourist day-wear and people in suits and ties and everything in between. We dressed up a bit, like going to a good restaurant or a family occasion, which was our choice, but not formal wear. General opera-going is not the "bow-ties and tiaras" event it used to be.

Before and after the performance there was little lighting in the audience area, so you could hardly see anything or anyone or where you were going anyway. From memory there were no designated seats, other than an area at the front roped off for some (no idea of the criteria for admission there), so it was first in first served.
Carpe diem! :le:

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Three pairs of themals' coat, furry boots, thermal socks, gloves, flask hot tomato soup!.... 8)
Sophocles.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

You can tell that the golf club's web site is out of date - the telephone numbers have not had the extra digit added from several years ago.

The course looks so desolate on Google Earth that I had to wind back 10 years in order to even locate it. It is at 25° 42' N, 32° 44' 10" E.

The latest satellite images are from last June - I don't think they have been using the irrigation, although there is still water in the main water hazard.