Balloon

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Balloon

Post by Winged Isis »

See, it happens everywhere, even in a country that has extremely high OH&S standards and regulations. I'll bet that it won't stop people coming to Australia. It may stop some doing a balloon flight, as it would I (and I've done 5 in Egypt), until the investigation was over. I very much doubt it's stopped anyone going to Egypt, especially if they'd already booked. And if they had any brains.

JANUARY 13 2018 - 1:17PM
Kate Aubusson

Six injured in hot air balloon crash in the Hunter region

Six people have been injured in a hot air balloon crash in the Hunter region on Saturday morning, including two seriously injured women. Up to 15 people were on board the hot air balloon when it struck a bush in strong winds while attempting to land. Several people have sustained injuries after a hot air balloon made a sudden landing north-west of Maitland. The balloon made a hard landing near Camp Road outside Greta, 21 kilometres north of Cessnock. A 20-year-old woman is being treated for suspected spinal injuries, and an 80-year-old woman multiple fractures.

Twenty-six year-old Michael witnessed the crash from one of four other hot air balloons that were trying to land in the strong winds.
"You could see them hit the bush and we heard the pilot screaming 'hold on, hold on'," said Michael, who requested that his surname not be published. "There was nothing the blue-and-white balloon could have done to avoid the bush. We were worried they would hit the barbed-wire fence running parallel to where they were flying," he said.

"They didn't seem to want to get out ... we asked our pilot if anyone was injured and he said he didn't know," Michael said. Michael said he was in the hot air balloon to see his friend propose to his girlfriend, "and she said yes". He said hot air balloon staff were talking about the strength of the winds "the whole morning".

"When we were in the air the pilot told us we were flying 90 kilometres an hour," Michael said.
Their own balloon landed roughly just before the balloon carrying the severely injured passengers, he said.
"The pilot said our landing was about a seven-and-a-half to eight in terms of hard landings ... a few of us were complaining of whiplash."

A sudden wind change is believed to be a factor, and other hot air balloons - which had taken off from Cessnock - may have been involved.
Locals said a number of hot air balloons tried to take off at the same time, as the wind picked up unexpectedly.
A Westpac Rescue Helicopter was tasked to respond to the incident.
The Air Transport Safety Bureau will be conducting an investigation into the incident. In a statement, the Bureau said it would interview the pilot and other witnesses.

A spokeswoman for Beyond Ballooning - a hot air balloon company that operates in the area - said their pilots made the decision to cancel their flights on Saturday morning. The company would not disclose the reasons for its cancellation.

Earlier this month, an Australian couple were among the survivors of a hot air balloon crash in Egypt that killed a South African tourist.

In 1989, 13 people were killed in Alice Springs in one of the deadliest hot air balloon accidents on record.

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/several-injur ... 0hsbl.html

Carpe diem! :le:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thanks for sharing that article. Although I wish it hadn't happened, it is a timely reminder that such accidents can and do take place anywhere in the world. They are still not a regular occurance and, given the numbers of people who take leisure flights during the course of any given year, I would think that staistically death or major injury are relatively low.

As a matter of interest, has there been an outcry on social media for all flights in hot air balloons across the country, or even that region, to be banned for ever?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

There may be. I've seen nothing.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I have long thought that there should be a sort of points system controlling Hot Air Balloon companies that have more than one accident or incident.

If company X has an incident where a passenger is injured and sustains broken bones or injuries requiring admittance to hospital this should be noted every time in the regular inspections.

Once is possibly a true accident and if after investigation this appears to be the case there is no penalty. If it was caused by negligence then those responsible should be forbidden to take part in ballooning in any capacity for at least a year and be meticulously examined before resuming their activity.

If it happens a second time and there is negligence then the company should be closed for 6 months in addition to the penalty above. The administrative staff as well as the pilot and crew should be on a warning.

If it happens three times the company should be permanently closed amd those responsible should not be allowed to take part in ballooning activity in any form, whether as owner, admin, crew or pilot.

To my knowlege not just in Egypt but world wide there would have been a significant number of companies closed.

The only problem with this is that pilots need to fly all the time to keep their high standards. If they don't fly every day, even as a passenger then they lose their "edge".

My advice is that all pilots in a company should report for work every day (except normal days off) ready to fly - in case another pilot may not be able to fly through illness.

If there is room in the basket the "spare" pilot or pilots should fly as observers, if there isn't room then they should observe from the ground and there should be a debrief after the flight.

Every flight is different, especially in Luxor where there is mostly no visible "weather" or prevailing wind, but all sorts of airborne hazards. For example, rollover air currents descending the mountain in the early morning and the air pouring like a river over and round surface obstructions. Patches of bare cultivated land have rising air currents, there is always an airflow counter to the river current and once the sun rises updraughts and downdraughts complicate matters even more ................... and that doesn't take into account degrading tropical storms!

I think that on the whole the pilots do a great job and they have my greatest respect.
Smile! It confuses people

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I wonder how many "incidents" which don't result in significant damage to passengers or property, or "near misses", go unreported.

Are there any operational regulations or guidelines covering such matters in force in Egypt - or elsewhere for that matter?

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

There are indeed regulations and guidelines in my experience wherever Hot Air Ballooning takes place.

However, how well these matters are observed and rules followed anywhere in the world, I wouldn't like to say. :st

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

In another thread I looked up a video of Keith Lemon flying in a Hot Air Balloon in Luxor.

As I looked at it this morning I was struck by seeing the pilot's waist on a level with the top of the balloon basket. Then I looked at the passenger and the top was well above his waist. Normally the height of the basket when new is about 4 ft I realised that the pilot was standing on a box or something similar so that he could reach the controls.

At one point the pilot looks over the edge of the basket and I realised for the first time how the common practice by short pilots of standing on a box could contribute to a pilot falling out of the basket during landing. I remember a boy in Canada being talked down when his Grandfather fell out of a two man balloon coming in to land, many years ago.

Fortunately I've never flown with a pilot standing on a box. :up

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

phpBB [video]
...... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Something odd about the video I thought, been bugging me all morning, so I endured another viewing.

At 2 minutes 14 seconds it can be seen that the pilot is not wearing a safety harness - landing is 14 seconds later. I thought that wearing a safety harness was obligatory when landing, but perhaps I'm wrong? :tk

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Copied from Luxor News Live on Facebook. Posted about an hour ago.

مصدر قضائى: «التقرير الفنى» الفيصل فى حادث بالون الأقصر

مباشر من الأقصر

هدي الأمير:...
See more
Source: "Technical report" in the Luxor Balloon accident

مباشر من الأقصر

Calm Prince:
According to a judicial source, the prosecution is awaiting the arrival of the technical report by the committee of technical experts to reveal the real reasons behind the crash of the #Luxor, which resulted in the death of a south African tourist and injured 15 others. From different foreign nationalities, including the balloon leader.
The source pointed out that the technical report of the commission would be the sole basis for revealing the causes of the incident, and whether there was a human error on the part of the balloon leader, or by the civil aviation authorities that allowed for takeoff in that bad weather, and The Royal Company of adults violated any special rules for overflight requirements?".
He added: "the law requires an adult company to pay material compensation to victims, both dead and injured, in addition to criminal punishment".
The prosecution had summoned 22 balloon pilots who took off on their flights last Friday, to see if they had been notified by the civil aviation authorities, to stop balloon flights due to bad weather, which caused damage to one of the flying balloons and damaged tourists. On Board or not?.

مباشر من الأقصر
-Aldous Huxley

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

17 hot air balloons launched with 420 tourists in Luxor
By: Egypt Today staff Sat, Jan. 20, 2018

CAIRO - 20 January 2018: Seventeen hot air balloons in Luxor were launched into the sky on Saturday, holding on board around 420 tourists from all over the world, after two days of banned flights due to bad weather conditions.

Luxor’s hot air balloons flew in the early morning over the western side of Luxor governorate, which is named the Capital of the World’s First Country. The balloons were controlled by well-trained Egyptian pilots with around 420 Egyptian and foreign tourists on board. They enjoyed a great aerial view over pharaonic sites in Luxor in the warm weather, according to Luxor Governor Mohamed Badr.

Luxor is considered to be the second city worldwide that offers hot air balloon trips besides a city in the United States. These flights are considered to be one of the most popular adventures in Luxor, where millions of tourists come from all over the world.

Luxor’s hot air balloons lift off at sunrise to fly over the wonders and splendors of the ancient historical sites of ancient Thebes, the temple complexes of Karnak and Luxor, the Valley of the Kings and the Valley of the Queens.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

416 Egyptians, 4 foreigners, not bad. :urm:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Mmmmm.....

An average of 25 persons per balloon. Really?

I can't imagine it was that warm either....not at dawn , in January, at 500+ ft.

Under the burner maybe :lol:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

newcastle wrote: Under the burner maybe :lol:
Warmer above it: hot air rises. :-)

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

In my opinion there's some serious overloading going on here if those figures are correct. :tk

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Could the numbers also be because of some balloons doing short flight double basket filling, as has been known by some companies in the past.
-Aldous Huxley

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

:tk Weren't there 24 passengers in the recent balloon incident? If so I hope that they were flying in a 600,000 cu ft balloon.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Brian Yare wrote:
I think you've answered the two questions I had.

Extra seating was provided INSIDE the balloon envelope....where it was also warm and cozy :lol:

Perspex panels facilitated viewing...... for those who wanted to see something.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Brian Yare wrote:
:sd: Jolly warm on top of Everest. :snig: