Balloon

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Balloon

Post by carrie »

Reports that a hot air balloon has crashed with over 20 tourists on board one person so far said to have been killed.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Balloon

Post by Who2 »

I wondered about this upon hearing loads of Ambulances charging North.
Looking out my window this morning I observed only one balloon was flying unusually North.... 8)
https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/90 ... atest-news
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

FABlux
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by FABlux »

Just seen reports that the dead person was American. Officials are blaming strong winds and inevitably the 2009 and 2015 crashes are being revisited :(

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Turns out it was Sinbad Balloons not a bad track record either.... 8)
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

FABlux wrote:Just seen reports that the dead person was American . Officials are blaming strong winds and inevitably the 2009 and 2015 crashes are being revisited :(
South African...according to several reports.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Whatever the persons nationality it puts hundreds of Egyptian families with no money with which to feed their families,
Until the balloons are allowed to fly again, for every ballon there are many ground crew.... 8)
'Bagia Hia Fiatic'
Sophocles.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Very sad for all concerned.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Who2 wrote:Whatever the persons nationality it puts hundreds of Egyptian families with no money with which to feed their families,
Until the balloons are allowed to fly again, for every ballon there are many ground crew.... 8)
'Bagia Hia Fiatic'
Have flights been cancelled?

A bit strange that there were flights this morning....with strong winds forecast.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Flights are cancelled as soon as there is an accident and it was very windy this morning.
I hope those in hospital make a full recovery.
BBC is reporting that the tourist who has died is South African.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Telegraph has pictures of the basket and "deflated" balloon.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

There are more and more reports of this accident appearing on the internet, with various nationalities given for the unfortunate person who sadly died. Although I say 'more reports' they really aren't saying much about today's accident other than it happened, but needless to say they are dredging up past incidents!

What I am wondering, and no one seems to have mentioned elsewhere, is was this the only balloon/company flying this morning. Can anyone enlighten me?
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:There are more and more reports of this accident appearing on the internet, with various nationalities given for the unfortunate person who sadly died. Although I say 'more reports' they really aren't saying much about today's accident other than it happened, but needless to say they are dredging up past incidents!

What I am wondering, and no one seems to have mentioned elsewhere, is was this the only balloon/company flying this morning. Can anyone enlighten me?
The reports mention that other balloons landed safely, so I guess other companies were in the air.

I believe permission to fly any morning has to be obtained from the airport authorities. Presumably they considered the weather conditions were suitable.

Sounds like they were just unlucky...caught by a freak gust maybe? Presumably the ensuing investigation will throw more light on the accident.

As you say, the usual suspects are having a field day.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

It was very windy and really cold this morning at 5am I am surprised that the balloons were allowed to fly.

Hafiz
V.I.P
V.I.P

Post by Hafiz »

Some places learn from mistakes. Some places never make mistakes and build the careers of hundreds of thousands all of whom are infallible.

The killing of the American woman (Reuters says it was a man who was South African but what do they know) and the serious injury to two others (Reuters says three) seems to continue the past.

Also continuing the past is the bureaucracy and al Ahram in their confused story about what happened and why. Here is their story:

The Security Intelligence Services (what the hell do they know about balloons/weather) said: “crashed due to strong wind”

The Ministry of Aviation (don’t they have a meteorological service) said: “the weather forecasts had indicated that it was safe to fly the balloons, adding that there were 22 balloons flying that day with 452 passengers.”

Al Ahram says: “Egypt is currently witnessing windy weather conditions.”
http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... alloo.aspx

So no-one agrees on much.

The silence of the Governor is probably prudent and may reflect his previous lack of action on training as well as his current action/inaction in ensuring the doctors don’t kill the survivors. That al Ahram can’t get the most basic facts right should surprise no-one.

Reuters, but not al Ahram, says “Luxor governor Mohamed Badr ordered the closure of all highways linking to other provinces due to poor visibility.” How can the rules on balloons allow their flight on days when highways are closed for traffic because of wind/sand? Maybe the balloon rules are as coordinated as the government agencies mentioned by al Ahram above.

Seems like standard operating procedures – all government agencies refuse to work together – all government agencies have a different view of the truth – all government agencies think so little of the public that they put out different versions of the truth for the public to be confused by. Now all they have to do is to find some poor kid to blame and ignore his rich employer. Any poor kid will do - from a poor background.

I would have thought it was time to prohibit balloons in Egypt. Maybe hell will freeze over and they will bring in some Germans to do a proper training program and mandatory procedures followed by a team of actual US balloon artists to do detailed training - with pass and failure tests. After the 19 were killed last time its very difficult to find anything practical that was done with procedures and training - please correct me if you can find anything significant.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

There is nothing wrong with the training of balloon pilots in Egypt compared to anywhere else in the World.
It's Ballooning, f***ing accidents happen that's why people like the thrill, and also being 'closer to god it's a heavenly experience.
Look at all those prats that jump off tall buildings that's just stuupid!
Iv'e flown sh*tloads of times, and if your names on the 'bullet then that's your time to meet your maker,
I'll bet that the survivors will have a story to tell their kids.
It's more dangerous walking down my local high street in London....... 8)
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

“Luxor governor Mohamed Badr ordered the closure of all highways linking to other provinces due to poor visibility.”
That's odd.

I know of at least two groups who drove from Hurghada to Luxor early this morning.

Perhaps any closure was short lived.

The Civil Aviation Authority seems to think there's not too much to worry about....
The agency quoted Hany al-Adawy, head of the civil aviation authority, as saying that the crash was "accidental" and that balloon flights would continue operating as usual.
Of course, any "quotes" from Egyptian sources need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Hafiz wrote:
I would have thought it was time to prohibit balloons in Egypt. Maybe hell will freeze over and they will bring in some Germans to do a proper training program and mandatory procedures followed by a team of actual US balloon artists to do detailed training - with pass and failure tests. After the 19 were killed last time its very difficult to find anything practical that was done with procedures and training - please correct me if you can find anything significant.

What action was taken when the balloons collided in Alice Springs, Australia? Were balloons grounded for long, or at all, after that? It may have been a long time ago now, but I think at that time it was an accident that claimed the most lives ever because of a ballooning accident. I can only think of a couple of other balloon accidents that have resulted in the death of more people since – one in the USA and, as we all know, the one in Luxor in 2013 (date?).

I know we shouldn’t compare incidents, but it is hard not to when reading a comment such as ‘I would have thought it was time to prohibit balloons in Egypt.’ !

You make it sound as though the Luxor Balloon Pilots have never had any real, or updated, training. I really do not believe that to be the truth. If I did, I would never consider flying in one ever again. As it is, were in Luxor I would happily take a flight tomorrow – subject to the appropriate authorisation being given.

Hot Air Balloon flights are often, but not exclusively, listed for insurance purposes as a Dangerous Sport. Whether you take to the air in a balloon basket for sport or for a commercial flight, it’s easy to see some of the potential risks. That being said, it is still relatively safe, and certainly safer than many other occupations, hobbies, or even everyday things (crossing the road for example). Balloon accidents in Egypt, and around the world, are still not that common.

As a matter of interest, why do you think that the German and US pilots would offer better training to the Luxor pilots?
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Well in answer to the above post we do have an expert on here for all things ballooning,
and we await her considered and valued response to Hafiz's ill informed and ignorant post on all things ballooning.... 8)
"Come Fairies, take me out of this dull world,
for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame!
Sophocles.

Cyprus100
United Kingdom

Post by Cyprus100 »

I've been up in a balloon over the West Bank twice in Egypt.

Both of them have been with Sindbad and I've felt perfectly safe each time. Both landings have been quite different from each other and the 2nd time there was much talk of "mushkilla" between the Captain and his ground staff over the radio. Needless to say, they got us down pretty sharpish on that occasion.

The Captain apologised to us afterwards for shouting at his ground crew.... but it was necessary for them to act quickly.
Michele,
Previously living in Limassol, Cyprus but now back in UK since 2016 :-(
Egypt is now so far away....