letter of invitation if staying over 1 month in egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Ellen120904

letter of invitation if staying over 1 month in egypt

Post by Ellen120904 »

is it true that you now need a letter of invitation to stay in egypt over 1 month as have had a message from an egyptian friend. also the visa has gone up to 60 dollars. is this true?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: letter of invitation if staying over 1 month in egypt

Post by carrie »

Don't know who your friend is but the entry visa into Egypt is 25 dollars that lasts one month, you don't need a letter of invitation an extension visa allowing you to stay another 5 months is about 600le.

Ellen120904

Post by Ellen120904 »

thankyou very much for your help.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

I stay 2 months at a time. A week before my entry visa expires, I get another month added. I cannot remember the cost, but it's peanuts. Take good clear copies of your passport (I bring mine from home as the machines there produce extremely pale versions). Go in the morning and you can collect the same day.
Carpe diem! :le:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

She also needs photographs and proof of where she is staying, photocopies of her passport details and photocopies of her entry visa.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

As Carrie states, the procedure for extending one's tourist visa has changed considerably over the last year and the documentation she mentions is required.

There seems to be a "grace" period of 2 weeks for anyone overstaying their month by a few days....but it may be unwise to rely on this.

If staying in Egypt for more than 6 weeks, an extension is required to avoid a substantial fine on leaving. The cost of an extension up to 6 months is around 550LE. The fine for overstaying (even by a a day....subject to the grace period mentioned earlier) is at least 1000LE !

The "invitation" letter mentioned in Ellen's initial post used to be a requirement for citizens of certain countries (e.g Pakistan) who were applying for an Egyptian visa via the Egyptian embassy in their home country. It isn't required by UK passport holders who usually buy their visa ($25) at the airport on arrival.

If she wants to, Ellen can apply for a 60 day (single entry) or 90 day (multiple entry) at the Egyptian embassy in London. They cost 2 or 3 times the $25 " 30 day visa on entry" but may save hassle at the visa office in Luxor ;)

Finally, tourists aged over 60 exiting Egypt, having overstayed their $25 entry visa, are not usually fined. Again, it might be unwise to rely on this concession although it's used by many regular elderly visitors.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Someone I know Newcastle was fined 2000le for having overstayed and she is over 65 so best not to take a chance.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Someone I know Newcastle was fined 2000le for having overstayed and she is over 65 so best not to take a chance.
A fine of that amount indicates an overstay of more than 6 months. I should have qualified my previous post by saying " a few months". Then again, she might have been scammed.....I've been asked for a fine at the airport having overstayed by a couple of months...only to have the officer over-ruled by his superior when I objected.

I think it very much depends on the circumstances...and maybe even the airport you're leaving from.

A "genuine" over-60 tourist seems, in practice, to be ok. i.e. someone, an occasional visitor, and who has only been in the country for a few months. I know many over-60's who regularly spend 2-4 winter months here on their $25 visa and have long given up going to the Hurghada visa office for an extension only to be told they can't have one, and in fact don't need one!

I've had the point explained to me personally both by the head of the visa office in Hurghada, and the captain in charge at HRG airport (when one of his underlings tried to extract a fine from me!)

The concession is unlikely to apply to someone who has been here for a lengthy period and is a "quasi-resident".

But from what I've heard , the Luxor office seem to operate in a parallel universe...so your caution is probably justified :lol:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

carrie wrote:She also needs photographs and proof of where she is staying, photocopies of her passport details and photocopies of her entry visa.

Since when carrie?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

The one fact that beggars belief, considering just how important the visa is here to the individual holding it, is why do they ''overstay'' or ''forget about it.''. is this practice one of those that is constantly nagging the authorities by giving them even more unwanted paperwork just because they [the visa holder] forget to renew for such long periods of time? I know I'm probably more necrotic than most concerning the renewal time, but never in the past when all was as smooth as silk, running wise, did I ever go over by one day.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:The one fact that beggars belief, considering just how important the visa is here to the individual holding it, is why do they ''overstay'' or ''forget about it.''. is this practice one of those that is constantly nagging the authorities by giving them even more unwanted paperwork just because they [the visa holder] forget to renew for such long periods of time? I know I'm probably more necrotic than most concerning the renewal time, but never in the past when all was as smooth as silk, running wise, did I ever go over by one day.
Overstaying by a few days, or even weeks, was never an issue when the "fine" was 150LE . In fact some people may have preferred to pay a small fine at the airport rather than engage with the visa office, especially where the overstay was minimal.

There is no extra paperwork in processing someone who has overstayed their visa - whether or not they are leaving or extending. Just a fine - which is now substantial.

I imagine the authorities are more than happy with the extra money.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

You have always needed a photocopy of your entry visa and a passport sized photograph when getting an extension from the passport office in Luxor. The new regulations regarding the rental agreement etc i got in June this year that was the first time I had to do it, when it was introduced not quite sure, I have heard that this doesn't apply in Hurghada. The rental agreement has also to be issued by the court which entails a visit there with your landlord and interpreter. Cost me 150le. Not sure what happens if you stay in a hotel perhaps Hatusu can help with that.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Yes, I've always had the passport necessaries, but up to my last visit last year that was all that was asked for, including when extending at the Luxor passport office in September. Other than my first visit to Egypt when I stayed in hotels, I've always stayed in rentals, and other than my first through L4u, no-one has ever asked for anything, either when my husband was paying the rent in person or I did via the internet, though I know it's needed and I've had the copies ready. That's mainly in Luxor, a couple in Cairo and a few times on the Red Sea coast in different locations.

Adamantium

Post by Adamantium »

When in the past I everstayed as I usually spend two months I was fined 150le at Cairo Airport. It was never usually an issue at Luxor. I'm Cairo I always had to go off to the ATM. I see the fine has increased. It does sound like a lot of Hassle upgrading the Visa however it seems to be worth the inconvenience of updating the Visa. In today's Egypt it is best not to be on the Police radar or it might be thought I disrespect the rules.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

God, cannot believe how things have changed in 9 months. i think Horus could well be correct when he says Luxor is on a different parallel to the rest of Egypt, it always has been and always will be, maybe it just needs to catch up and employ people in the know rather than people who seem to have little knowledge at their jobs. I say this because Egypt is a Country and rules and regulations should always be applied the same throughout. If not there is something wrong. But I thought for many years that Luxor is about corruption and cash. I have not changed my mind on that and it runs through the veins of everyone. It is known recently that Senior Medical Staff were sent from Cairo to see what was happening at the International Hospital, maybe staff from other departments should be sent from other departments. But then again maybe their lives would be made difficult if they tried to change the system, Luxor is so good at that. It must be getting so difficult to live there as tourists now, I remember the multi visits to the visa office, backwards and forwards because this is not ready or we want this extra paper, or even the official stamp is wrong. All that is really needed is a decent computerized system, one press (Of the right key) and Bingo all sorted, instead of reams and reams of awkward decaying paper that either gets lost or taken out of records never to be seen again, my last 12 month visa cost me 5 visits to the visa office. I vowed then it would be the last visa I would apply for. We both knew our intentions either sell and move or lock up and move, we had no intentions of being treated like s---e by people who got pleasure in creating extra work that was not necessary.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

i think Horus could well be correct when he says Luxor is on a different parallel to the rest of Egypt,
When did I say that then? :?:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
i think Horus could well be correct when he says Luxor is on a different parallel to the rest of Egypt,
When did I say that then? :?:
He's confusing you with me (see earlier post in this thread)

Try not to be too offended :lol:

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

Major Thom wrote:God, cannot believe how things have changed in 9 months. i think Horus could well be correct when he says Luxor is on a different parallel to the rest of Egypt, it always has been and always will be, maybe it just needs to catch up and employ people in the know rather than people who seem to have little knowledge at their jobs. I say this because Egypt is a Country and rules and regulations should always be applied the same throughout. If not there is something wrong. But I thought for many years that Luxor is about corruption and cash. I have not changed my mind on that and it runs through the veins of everyone. It is known recently that Senior Medical Staff were sent from Cairo to see what was happening at the International Hospital, maybe staff from other departments should be sent from other departments. But then again maybe their lives would be made difficult if they tried to change the system, Luxor is so good at that. It must be getting so difficult to live there as tourists now, I remember the multi visits to the visa office, backwards and forwards because this is not ready or we want this extra paper, or even the official stamp is wrong. All that is really needed is a decent computerized system, one press (Of the right key) and Bingo all sorted, instead of reams and reams of awkward decaying paper that either gets lost or taken out of records never to be seen again, my last 12 month visa cost me 5 visits to the visa office. I vowed then it would be the last visa I would apply for. We both knew our intentions either sell and move or lock up and move, we had no intentions of being treated like s---e by people who got pleasure in creating extra work that was not necessary.
:a86: :a86: :a86: :a84: :58:
Smile! It confuses people

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Same old, same likes...... :a86: :a86: :a86: :a86: :a86: :a86:

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Winged Isis wrote:
carrie wrote:She also needs photographs and proof of where she is staying, photocopies of her passport details and photocopies of her entry visa.

Since when carrie?
These were a requirement when I extended a year ago. I will probably be extending next week so will find out what is now requested. But I will go armed with as many documents and copies as possible to try to cover all options.