Nile Cruise'

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Re: Nile Cruise'

Post by Major Thom » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:04 pm

Look up Paphos Life, join and you will get the info you require on Paphos, Maybe also look into it as a visa run. Visa runs no longer bother me when you have the residents visa etc they are not a thing you have to worry about. Tesco, Bombay is not a store in Paphos, but there is a supermarket (2 branches) that sell many Tesco labels and they do specials every month. The best Indian is Popadums on the Coastal Road just off the Tomb of Kings Road going to Coral Bay. We use Papantoniou's Supermarket 6 times larger than Kerz Zaman and sells a massive variety of food stuffs, including Sharwoods, Grossman and Patiks for the Curry Makers. There is a new Lebanese Restaurant opened called the Marakesh with Belly Dancers and food that does not need draining into a bucket to get rid of the cooking oil, all cooking is done here in Virgin Olive Oil, abundant and cheap. There is also a big choice of sea food restaurants. In fact plenty for all depending on what you want. Clear turquoise waters for snorkeling or diving, in fact the beaches and waters have just won awards for the 3rd year running for their cleanliness. The old city of Paphos has just been updated giving clearer passage to vehicles ans extra parking spots. We have breakfast out most days and then go down to Cap St Georges beach for a bit of sun and swimming, before returning home for wine and a siesta. One Litre of excellent Medium Dry White Wine (And it is excellent, local Vineyards) 1.75 GBP, yes 1.75GBP Good local Reds and Rose wines the same from local vineyards.
Rents, depends on where you want to be, 2 bedroom fully furnished modern apartments with communal pool 325 to 350 Euros a month including maintenance. 3 bedroom Town House without pool around 350 to 450 euros. but you can go to any price you want, up the road from us is a villa that rents at 2000Euros a month. We are in a group of modern apartments all 2 beds, the community has 7 apartments a 60 metre long pool lovely gardens all illuminated at night, BBQ area, associated parking ans the price is 350 euros a month all in including property tax and maintenance. The security here is great we don't have checkpoints we have security cameras that work, we don't have 'people that attack police check points like they do in places like Esna near Luxor.
Everything is priced. the only thing that is expensive are cars, but you can get a tornado 850 two seater dune buggy cheap. I bought a car at the beginning of the year for use elsewhere, a 5 year old car the same model here would cost 6000 Euros. There are very few immigrants outside the EU live here, those that do live a solitary life. I have not come across a Mosque here, I suppose there must be one tucked down a street somewhere, but noise abatement prevent them from calling during daylight hours of 5.00am to 8.30pm I could put many photos of the area on here but still for some reason cannot seem to get them on. If anyone would like to send me an e-mail address I will send you some to put on the forum, so people can see for themselves. Tomorrow we are going to explore the Troodos Mountains ready for Winter and see where the Ski Slopes are. I think the only thing that would put people off is the fact to live here like you do in Luxor, or rather did do, you will need and income of 2000 Euros a month. (BIG LUXOR OUCH!!!) but depending on how you want to live suppose you can live on 1000 Euros a month. For us pensioners with state pension, not a problem especially when you have private pensions as well. Also as pensioners excellent medicare and treatment free. Prescriptions though 45p per item compared with UK I think must be over 6GBP per item by now. Probably this is not the right post for Visiting Luxor section, but the anxiety among Europeans living in Luxor and not properly married, or owning property, or even joint owning property with a local man, must be raising everyday, like it was for us. For you men a litre bottle of Ice Cold Keo from a local Taverna is around 1.65GBP 4.5% We live on Frappe's and they are lovely

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:18 pm

Well thank you for that Major Thom, that's a bit more like it, even though you can't resist having a few digs at Egypt. The information you have provided I am sure will be very helpful to many.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:01 pm

Sounds a bit like Ibiza where I lived happily for a decade.

Mind you, the accommodation costs were much higher..about 4 times, 10years ago. 2000euros a month wouldn't give you much of a life there now!

On balance, I prefer the "exoticism" of Egypt. Plus the winter climate is more pleasant.

Besides, being a Brit at heart, not having anything to moan about would drive me bonkers :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:09 pm

Well I've got a far as ' There is a new Lebanese Restaurant opened called the Marakesh with Belly Dancers and food that does not need draining into a bucket to get rid of the cooking oil, all cooking is done here in Virgin Olive Oil, abundant and cheap. ' and all my brain will do is focus on that and question why a Lebanese Restaurant would be named Marakesh. Of course, there is nothing wrong with naming a restaurant whatever you want, but I'd have expected, perhaps, a Lebanese name. I'm no expert on Belly Dancing, but my brain's trivia store is telling me that Lebanese Belly Dancing is actually a fusion of Turkish and Egyptian. I'd love to see a menu for this restaurant and discover where in the world their food style really is.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:Well I've got a far as ' There is a new Lebanese Restaurant opened called the Marakesh with Belly Dancers and food that does not need draining into a bucket to get rid of the cooking oil, all cooking is done here in Virgin Olive Oil, abundant and cheap. ' and all my brain will do is focus on that and question why a Lebanese Restaurant would be named Marakesh. Of course, there is nothing wrong with naming a restaurant whatever you want, but I'd have expected, perhaps, a Lebanese name. I'm no expert on Belly Dancing, but my brain's trivia store is telling me that Lebanese Belly Dancing is actually a fusion of Turkish and Egyptian. I'd love to see a menu for this restaurant and discover where in the world their food style really is.
Probably this place :

Great new Lebanese restaurant in Kissonerga - Review of The ...
Kissonerga Restaurants › The Marrakech
Rating: 5 - ‎Review by a TripAdvisor user
May 22, 2017 - The Marrakech restaurant serves Lebanese/Moroccan food, the menu is excellent with lots of choice including an ... Paphos, Cyprus. Level 4 ... I was told by the staff that most nights there is live music and often a belly dancer...

https://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowUserR ... trict.html

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:44 pm

Ah ha! Thanks newcastle. That makes much more sense. A Lebanese - Moroccan Restaurant.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:11 pm

There are very few immigrants outside the EU live here
What about the 30,000 plus Anatolians that the Turks sent over to colonise the North after the 1974 invasion?

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:25 pm

And for my preference the local dish of Kleftico would be more appropriate for Cyprus, there used to be a lovely little place on your left on the way to Coral Bay, just near the Cynthiana Beach turn off road that did the best version in Cyprus. :eat For those more interested in culture ‘The Tombs of the Kings’ that MT mentioned are worth a visit, (but not on a hot day) they reminded me a lot of the rock cut tombs at Petra although all these are underground (open to the skies) so to speak, although my fondest memory of the place is the lingering smell of wild Aniseed as you walk around. Even more memorable are the many mosaics that are all over the area with some quite spectacular ones housed under cover, but all quite accessible to look at and explore, the entrance is just by the harbour in Paphos for anyone interested. ;)

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:15 am

A visit to Fabrika Hill is worth a visit, to the ancient Greek/Romano theatre under excavation for decades by the University of Sydney; my first excavation. I second the comment on mosaics, especially the one of the Minotaur and the labyrinth. Don't forget Saranto Collones.
Carpe diem! :le:

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:50 am

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:57 am

The Fabrika Hill dig Facebook page: Archaeological Excavations of the Ancient Theatre Site at Paphos Cyprus

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:31 am

Winged Isis wrote:The Fabrika Hill dig Facebook page: Archaeological Excavations of the Ancient Theatre Site at Paphos Cyprus
Is this the page?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/23749778241/

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:30 am

Yes, thanks! :wi

BTW, they take paying (untrained) volunteers, if anyone is interested in having a go with a trowel. A great way to holiday with a difference.
Here's the website: http://www.paphostheatre.org
Lots of photos in their Flikr archive. I'm somewhere there in the '97 and '98 ones.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:49 am

Never been to the Marrakesh, it would not really be anything new to us. We love the seafood places to eat, or the Indian Restaurants.
The Roman Mosaics are really nice to visit, so are the tomb of Kings, one of our favourite places is Tala Monastery, dating back to the 10 Century, the first part was dug out of the rock face. But we try to stay away from tourist areas if possible, and get out into the wilds, yesterday we sailed up to the reef and the Blue Lagoon for the day, the wind was good and we reached speeds of 7 knots, snorkeled for an hour and sailed back, seas a bit rough but the 3 of us had a nice day, finished off with dinner in Latchi

Yes WI they are still digging in different places for relics, villages and things of interest but if you look up Tala and Chloraka Amphitheater you will see they are new and built to the old tradition, done this way to allow concerts etc to be performed while still up keeping H & S standards, such as loo's and wash rooms. You still however get the atmosphere of the place and how they must have been in yesteryears

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:05 am

Major Thom wrote:Never been to the Marrakesh, it would not really be anything new to us. We love the seafood places to eat, or the Indian Restaurants.
Errmm....You have not been to the Marrakesh yet you state...
Major Thom wrote: There is a new Lebanese Restaurant opened called the Marakesh with Belly Dancers and food that does not need draining into a bucket to get rid of the cooking oil, all cooking is done here in Virgin Olive Oil, abundant and cheap.

How can you comment on the cooking if you have not eaten there?

As for the food at the Marrakesh not really being anything new to you, what do you mean by that, especially if you have not eaten there.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 9:50 am

Well, you see when you want to have another go at Luxor you stick something in about the restaurants there not using a lot of fat to cook in, a constant complaint about his time here. Don't know what cheap nasty establishments he patronised.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:14 am

I am always interseted in where people have visited and local information about the place, but I just wish that MT would realise that he did not discover Cyprus, that many of us on here have spent a lot of time there and actually know the place quite well from our own travels around the island, both North & South.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:22 am

Horus wrote:I am always interseted in where people have visited and local information about the place, but I just wish that MT would realise that he did not discover Cyprus, that many of us on here have spent a lot of time there and actually know the place quite well from our own travels around the island, both North & South.
You're right Horus. Personally I much prefer Kibris, Northern Cyprus.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:59 am

I agree Yildez, the best beaches are certainly in the North as are the most interesting historic sites (IMO), certainly the beaches as you head out on the Coral Bay road towards Latchi that MT mentioned are pretty dire and like sunbathing on grit, but personally I find the island a bit barren and very much the same choose where you go. People talk about the Troodos mountains, but to be honest there is not really that much to see, a few good views looking back towards the coast and a bit cooler on a hot day, I can never see what the fuss is all about?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

If I was going again then I would prefer to go to the North.