Nile Cruise'

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Nile Cruise'

Post by Major Thom » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:05 pm

The Lady who lives next door to us wants to take her childen on a Nle Cruise, there will be a party of 6 altogether with husband. Whats the cheapest way they can do it please and also has anyone got contacts including contact e-mails and websites for organisers or ticket sellers please so I can pass them on. Myself and wife went on one in 2011 and were not impressed infact we got off 3 days before we were due to and went home to our villa. Never have forgot the conning agent who arranged it for us.
Ths is a genuine request because I know some of you know contacts without using travel comanies.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Nile Cruise'

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:40 pm

MT forgot to add that after the cruise he will post lots of criticism of how bad your advice was and how terrible his friends experiences were whilst on-board. ;)

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:42 pm

Seriously though, unless the children are quite old or really interested in Egyptology, then I cannot think of anything worse to take them on, they will be bored stiff and probably annoy all the other passengers on board.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:12 pm

I understand that children under a certain age were not allowed on the cruise boats due to safety concerns.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:21 pm

I think it used to be 12 years old, but nowadays who knows :roll: anything to fill up a boat. :urm:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:12 pm

Unless its changed most UK agents wont book children.

Doesn't matter how desperate they are i don't think they would want to risk an accident, the boats iv'e been on were safe enough but i very much doubt they reach UK safety standards.

Any child travelling on a cruise that i was part of would run a greater risk of being chucked over the side by me than anything else :stp

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:20 pm

Its changed in as much as there are no UK agents!

I am going on a cruise after tomorrow I'll let you know if there are any candidates for you to chuck over the side. :wi

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm

I start mine on Tuesday. I'll report back.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:14 pm

It's not the UK agents that book the kids on the trips, its when other nationalities are booked onto the same boat that you sometimes see kids onboard.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 4:14 am

Maybe I should have said family because the youngest one is 16 years old. We went on a 7 day cruise in 2013 paid fo by my wife for my birthday in July, it was pretty hot. The boat was half full, we were the only English speaking people on board apart from the crew. the rest of the guests were Chinese School Children aged around 13 or 14, jumping from sunbed to sunbed all day long and and hollowing and hooping at the tops of their voices. for some reason or other the only entertainment on board was the man selling galebaya's for the next evening's show, which by the way got cancelled. All the public areas were full of these kids and the boat manager just ignored the fact that, the kids were sat and screaming in every nook and cranny on the boat. It was a bit like a floating creche. Anyway these kids got it into their heads that because the entertainment had been cancelled they would perform a hurriedly put together play called "Horus" brilliant really it was all in Chinese and many of them just said the first thing that seemed to come into their heads, the climax of the show was when Horus spread his wings and they fell off.
By that time the guide who was hired by us for the whole trip knew we wanted to get off the boat and taxi home. We decided to stay in our room until we got to Aswan because the guide told us the kids would be getting off at Aswan and their journey back to Cairo would be by train. We had a couple of days in Aswan, one an early start to Abu Symbol by taxi convoy for our safety. What a laugh, once the taxi's and mini buses had left Aswan it was a free for all, almost like the start of a Grand Prix. During the walk around Ram.II temple my wife lost her purse from her handbag, the glue holding her Egyptian Shoes together melted and the soles fell off, so a great time she had. Her purse had been picked up by a Tourist from France who handed it in to the Police. What a performance getting it back, both of us wanted the loo, my wife's purse held the money. So we had nothing to pay for the single sheet of bog paper needed to be purchased regardless of the fact you needed it or not to use the loo.
The guide with us suggested we offer the Police 100 le backsheesh once he knew the contents of the purse. We did and after 20 mins of form filling and messing about in general, and walking around the office so the officer and his cronies could view my wife's A---e, we got the purse back my wife went to the loo and myself well I just went around the back of the Police Office and dampened the wall in disgust, and by the looks of it I had not been the first that day. When I had finished my ablutions I noticed the Police officer handing 50le to the guide, so another scam had been going on.
When we got back to Aswan we were greeted by the next influx of guests sailing to Luxor, around 2 bus loads of Asians decked to the nines in Sari's, the women were in the pool blocking the filters up with the cheap rag tags from their Sari's, what a mess. We still had another full day of being overcharged in Aswan by greedy, thieving coffee shop owners. So for the last day we decided to go for breakfast and then on to the Botanical Gardens, I put 3 rounds of bread in the conveyor style toaster when it was done I went to pick it up only to be intercepted by an Asian Biggles, (Bandits on the right hand side) who picked my 3 rounds of toast up and scarpered to the other side of the dining room for the protection from his less than skinny wife. I hoped it bloody choked him, sod me the same thing happened with my second attempt. We stormed of the our cabin packed our bags and got a taxi back to Luxor. Never been interested in a Nile Cruise again, never been interested in finding out if they could be better. The boat we went on got changed at the last minute to The Nile Ruby. So from that day on we never had any further interest in cruising the Nile again. the cost in 2013 for the two of us with all the trips and a private guide 915 GBP. We had may as well lit a fire using the notes for kindling. That I suppose was the start of the end of our love affair with Egypt, everything from there just went down hill, I was going to accept anymore conning and thieving from any business's any more, because we were European and looked upon as being money cows. The bloke who set up the trip, well we went to his premises 5 times on all occasions he was out and the office girl did not know when he would be back, we went one day and from across the road we saw him at his desk, has we started to walk to his office we saw him get up from his desk and go into the back, we walked in and said to the office girl we want to see Mr ************, she told us he was not in, so I told her we have just seen him go into the back room, but she was insistent he was not in. So we obviously would not have used them again despite the glowing references the ex pats give them in Luxor. Anyway we are out of that environment now we feel safer everything in the shops is priced, the police only bother you if you are doing anything wrong. There are no visa adventures or turning up for appointments to be told we need to see this document now. The Road Traffic Office is just a matter of waiting your turn, to get what you want, any utility bill or bill for your vehicle can be paid on line. Provided you buy things from EU shops or Amazon UK you just get them delivered free of tax. It took us some time to get used to being looked upon as normal citizens and treated respectful, but now we are we love it. Oh! by the way the lady and her husband who want to take their family to Luxor have not been told anything by us, I have only said , "let us know what you think when you get back".

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Thu Aug 03, 2017 6:39 am

But , despite the odd irritation, did you enjoy your cruise? :snig:

And it's not very neighbourly to send your friends off to hell without at least a word of warning :lol:

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:42 am

For some reason while I was reading MTs post I kept.getting visions of Richard Wilson in One Foot in the Grave. It would have made a fabulous episode.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:37 am

MajorThom, if you can't remember the date of your cruise, how can we be expected to believe your recall of events?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:44 am

My one and only cruse was a fantastic experience. Met really good friends that we kept in contact with, one couple even proposed, got excepted, I bought what was probably THE most expensive bottle of champagne on the planet to celebrate. Even went to their marriage. As our boat accidentally collided with a bridge we were placed on a brand new 5***** cruiser, Italian. They didn't like us Brit interlopers, so there was an invisible Italian version of the Berlin wall. There was kids with them, very well behaved. One night we had a session of bingo, :up One couple at our table that was with us throughout the cruse won the first prize of that game, a gold cartouche, the next game my wife won another cartouche, the last game both my wife and I called out ''house'' at the same time, so we went to the stage and each pulled out a numbered ball to see who had the highest number to win, which was me, so I received a larger gold cartouche. :up Now, I'm not saying it was fixed, but my wife and I spent £1,000 on all the extra extensions, including a flight to Abu Simbel as our two sets of new friends had, so, we were good commission generators. :lol: It came very close to becoming world war three with the Italians, but as one of the tour guides mentioned, they spent nothing. As that famous veteran war hero Lance Corporal Jones used to say, ''They don't like it up 'em Mr. Mainwaring.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 9:54 am

MajorThom, I suggest you do the following:

- Suggest the lady next door to you joins this site so that she can ask for suggestions and recommendations herself. That way any other questions she may have could probably also be answered for her. It would save you having to be the go between.

- Suggest she contacts Luxor4U tours at info@luxor4tours.com

- Suggest she contacts Oceanus as advertised at the top of the page. They come highly recommended for many tourist requirements.

- Suggest she does a few searches on the internet for available booking companies.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:01 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:MajorThom, if you can't remember the date of your cruise, how can we be expected to believe your recall of events?
I can give you minute details of events that happened on every cruise ive been on, i couldnt, for the most part give you accurate dates though.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:12 am

Zooropa wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:MajorThom, if you can't remember the date of your cruise, how can we be expected to believe your recall of events?
I can give you minute details of events that happened on every cruise ive been on, i couldnt, for the most part give you accurate dates though.
Perhaps not. I think that could be said for most if not all of us for certain things in our lives. However, there is a glaring discrepancy between MajorThom's two posts.
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:17 am

:lol: :lol: I did warn you guys that he was lining us up for another episode of "My Life in Hell" at first I thought I was reading another post from IP Freely :lol: :lol:

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:25 am

Horus wrote::lol: :lol: I did warn you guys that he was lining us up for another episode of "My Life in Hell" at first I thought I was reading another post from IP Freely :lol: :lol:
:stp No! Don't be silly. IP Freely is not normally repetitious, but is normally humorous in their delivery. :a59:
-Aldous Huxley

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:08 pm

July 2012 was our Nile Cruise, for my 60th Birthday, the boat was the Nile Ruby, a lovely boat but I suppose like the rest at the time struggling to for better words keep afloat. The lady in question is taking the family for an historic tour, the children have always wanted to go on an historic trip, why should I put them off. People should just be thankful for an extra 6 persons wanting to come on holiday. It will not put money into the Luxor Coffers but hey ho.

Thanks for your informative info Hepzi about Oceanus, I have already given Oceanus info to the lady. I will pass on L4tours (I forgot this, because I never saw the website and what tours they offer, I will have a quick look now) info to her. The lady has already looked at the site and forums of L4U using my laptop and me signing in for her. I some how do not think she will be joining the forum. She is already an administrator on our local forum and has her work cut out, so has little time for what she reads on other forums. I dare not tell on here her opinions of this forum only to say her eyebrows were raised a few times. I think the family are looking to come across in October, I know they want to do Valley of Kings and Queens before setting off on the trip. They are not interested in staying in Luxor itself, her and her husband went to Luxor 2001, and thought it to be a bit of an eyesore. I gather though they want to take in Kom Ombo, Edfu, Aswan, The High Dam, the Botanical Gardens, and Abu Simbal. So I gather they have some sort of itinerary.