Increased prices postponed

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Increased prices postponed

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:39 pm

I have just seen this on a Facebook site. Although I am sharing it I cannot vouch for its accuracy.

Friends of Egypt support tourism to Egypt

Travel & Tourism News 01/06/2017
Supreme Council of Antiquities postpones increasing ticket prices of archaeological sites to November
Ticket for the Great Pyramid of Giza was increased from EGP 200 to EGP 300 for foreigners, from EGP 100 to EGP 150 for foreign students, second pyramid ticket increased from EGP 30 to EGP 60 for foreign students
The Supreme Council of Antiquities ordered the postponement of the increase of the archeological sites and museums ticket fees for foreigners and Egyptians until November, instead of October.
According to the letter sent by the Supreme Council of Antiquities to the Egyptian Travel Agencies Association, the council has agreed that the visit to the Egyptian civilisation panorama at the headquarters of the National Authority for Civilization Coordination is a part of the visit to the Citadel area, according to a monthly programme on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays of each week and be separate tickets to be printed and collected by the Ministry of Antiquities. This will be applicable starting July.
The area of ​​the pyramids is one of the most prominent areas, where ticket prices have been increased from EGP 80 to EGP 120 for foreigners and from EGP 30 to EGP 60 for foreign students.
Ticket for the Great Pyramid was increased from EGP 200 to EGP 300 for foreigners, from EGP 100 to EGP 150 for foreign students, second pyramid ticket increased from EGP 30 to EGP 60 for foreign students.
An official at the Ministry of Antiquities said there is a package ticket for the area of ​​the pyramids and the Great Pyramid and Khufu ship for EGP 400 for foreigners and EGP 200 for foreign students.
According to the official, the postponement comes in light of the decrease in the tourist flow of the areas and archaeological sites during the current period and may continue until the end of this year, according to the current tourist conditions in Egypt.
The tourist traffic to Egypt declined during the past year to 5.3 million visitors, down from 9.3 million in 2015, a drop of 40%.
The statement, obtained by Daily News Egypt, stated that the Egyptian Museum in Tahrir Square and the Museum of Islamic Art will not be opened at night during Ramadan, while the Textile Museum will be open between 8 pm and 12 am at double the price.
The Supreme Council also agreed to increase the ticket for the taftaf bus at the citadel of Salahuddin Citadel in Cairo, starting from the beginning of July.
Former chairperson of the Egyptian Tourism Federation (ETF) Elhamy El-Zayat said that the Egyptian tourism sector is going through a difficult phase due to the decline of tourism inflow from Russia and Britain since the crash of a Russian airliner at the end of October 2015.
He expressed his happiness with the decision to postpone the increase, saying that it will contribute to increasing inflow to the archaeological areas in the coming period, noting that there is cooperation between the ETAA and the council.
Daily News Egypt revealed last week that the Ministry of Antiquities issued a programme called Cairo Pass at discounted prices to visit the archaeological areas for a period of five days, starting from November.
The ministry hopes to increase revenues this year to secure funding for the restoration of archaeological shrines, museums, and archeological sites in light of the sharp decline in revenues during the past six years.
The Ministry of Antiquities’ revenues peaked in 2010, a year during which 14.7 million tourists visited Egypt and revenues amounted to EGP 1.3bn.
Source: The Daily News Egypt http://dailynewsegypt.com/…/supreme-cou ... quities-po…/
Dare to be different come to Egypt where it all begins.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Increased prices postponed

Post by carrie » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:17 am

I think they would have done better to defer the 60 dollar tourist visa charge due to be implemented. That will put more people off visiting than the entrance price to the sites etc.
Last edited by carrie on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:21 am

I think that when tourists that are about to book for Egypt, and see these increases for the Pyramids, plus the visa, they will soon get the 'point' and go elsewhere.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:37 am

carrie wrote:I think they would have done better to defer the 60 dollar tourist visa charge due to be implemented. That will put more people off visiting than the entrance price to the sites etc.
As far as I know it's only the multiple entry visa that's going up to $60 (1st July?)

I think they abandoned increasing the single entry from it's current level of $25

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent ... visas.aspx

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:41 am

This on Luxor News Live today:

The Ministry of antiquities has decided to raise tickets for temple visits and pharaonic cemeteries with a new rate of about 25 %, to be applied next November.
The prices of archaeological areas in the Luxor Portfolio came as follows:
The Karnak Temple is £ 150 for foreigners, and Egyptians have 20 pounds.
The Open Museum of crank is 60 pounds, and Egyptians have 10 pounds.
The Luxor Temple is £ 140 for foreigners and Egyptians for 20 pounds.
The Luxor Museum is £ 140 for foreigners and £ 20 for Egyptians.
The embalming museum is £ 100 for foreigners and £ 20 for Egyptians.
The Temple of the valley of kings is £ 200 for foreigners, £ 20 for Egyptians.
Tutankhamun's tomb is £ 250 for foreigners, and £ 40 for Egyptians.
The Cemetery cemetery is £ 60 for foreigners and 10 for Egyptians.
Hatshepsut temple £ 100 for foreigners and £ 20 for Egyptians.
The City Monastery Cemetery is £ 100 for foreigners, and £ 10 for Egyptians.
Temple Temple of £ 80 for foreigners and £ 10 for Egyptians.
The Temple Temple is £ 80 for foreigners and 10 for Egyptians.
The Temple of the first city is £ 60 for foreigners and 10 for Egyptians.
The "Valley of the horns" Cemetery is £ 60 for foreigners and 10 for Egyptians.
Ramses II Cemetery for £ 100 for foreigners, and £ 20 for Egyptians.
The Temple of commission is £ 40 for foreigners and 10 pounds for Egyptians.
17-Temple Temple 60 pounds for foreigners, £ 10 for Egyptians.
Carpe diem! :le:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am

We can have a competition!

Guess what sites the google translations actually refer to. :lol:

Gopha75

Post by Gopha75 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:38 am

The Open Museum of crank… best laugh i've had all week

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:12 am

Gopha75 wrote:The Open Museum of crank… best laugh i've had all week
What about the "Temple of commission"?

Is that a euphemism for the ticket office :lol:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:46 pm

No mention for the Avenue of the Sphinx which should be well completed by next November. Unless its going to be a freebie.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:18 pm

I agree the 60$ visa increase is wrong, and will have a negative effect, for the other things it will boil down to people making a choice whether they go into the sites or not. May cause a few problems though if the tourist know the difference between what they have to pay compared to locals, does not matter if the story is "Well the local economy is weak"or not. The difference in prices has made the gap offensive!!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:38 pm

Dusak wrote:No mention for the Avenue of the Sphinx which should be well completed by next November.
They are still working on the translation.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:49 pm

Major Thom wrote:
May cause a few problems though if the tourist know the difference between what they have to pay compared to locals, does not matter if the story is "Well the local economy is weak"or not. The difference in prices has made the gap offensive!!
The first time that I saw a sign with different prices for locals and tourists was Acropolis in 1978. No one seemed to have a problem with that, there were many comments about how nice it was to know that locals had a chance to go there, while we were all happy to contribute and pay for the experience.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus » Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:44 pm

I would go even further and say that in any country it is a good policy to let locals see anything cultural for free (within reason of course) and the tourists pay to visit, that to me sounds fair.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Aug 11, 2018 7:10 am

I've always believed that the locals of any country should get to see their heritage free, or for a very small amount, and cash rich tourists should pay a reasonably high price for entrance. It defies logic that some folk when visiting a foreign country for a holiday usually do not start a holiday report with what a fantastic privilege it was to visit wherever, but the ''rip off' prices of transport, admission fees and the price of alcohol. In regards to the monuments and such, these require a large amount of money to maintain for future generations, so they should be proud to contribute towards the effort instead of whinging all the time about the cost of a furkin' peanuts cost of a taxi and a bottle of gnats pea beer. IMHO

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:10 am

So true Dusak.

And despite the huge taxes that apply to many imported goodies, the rampant inflation and devalued currency, many tourists still expect costs to remain the same as they were 5 years ago.

And the quality and quantity of services to be the same as they would expect in Europe - ignoring the fact that they would cost much more there.

It's hard to see Egypt, and in particular Luxor, ever being a huge tourist draw when so many visitors arrive with the minimum amount of spending money and an even smaller amount of common sense.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:25 am

The first and last time I saw a a place where the price board showed 2 prices I never went back, that was a coffee shop on Little England Street, just past the photographic shop, quite a large place too, the second one on the West Bank, never went back there either. By the time we left Luxor there were only essential places we visited out of necessity. The Agriculture Club treated everyone equal, so got a lot of our business and was reasonably priced. I have my own thoughts on sponsoring local people so they can visit their own historic sites, but cannot put them on here, the words would be bleeped out. :lol: Oh for those of you that knew I smoked Shisha I have now stopped, a Shisha here is 15 Euro's

These costs should not be going up at all, other Countries use what they call competition to keep prices down. A lot of other Countries just compete on prices and this is what Egypt should do. However the price increases do show what a hell of a state the Country is in, and many tourists with half a brain will know this :(

You will all disagree with me I both know and expect it, but you have to realise that many tourists are now looking for bargains, they have become price savvy. I can give you an idea on what I mean, we always used a coffee shop here until this Summer they increased their prices on everything by around 10%. This place was always very busy, no one else put their prices up this year and of course they are busy and the fore mentioned coffee shop is empty.

Would you actually buy a Fez from outside Sindbads, the one that has been there years and is no longer red but a dusty shade of rose pink, or a book on display in a window that is sun bleached or even anything from a man sat outside his shop shouting "Come and see my Rubbish" on saying that he is very close to the point using the word RUBBISH!! :lol:

Would you buy a Carlsberg Elephant Beer in a bar in Kobenhavn that has not had the top put on properly?, or in the UK a CD that does not have the right CD in the cover?

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:40 am

You can buy rubbish elsewhere, but we are talking about entrance fee to ancient monuments. To many tourist, these are a once in a lifetime experience, we who keep returning know the value.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Sat Aug 11, 2018 10:47 am

Why do you think you are sponsoring local people to visit the sites just because you pay more than them? You are purely paying to visit the site and if it's too expensive for you then you stay away. One thing you always seem to forget about Luxor MT is that it is an Egyptian city and Egyptians have more right to use the facilities than some foreign tourist who has put nothing into the economy.

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors » Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:45 am

newcastle wrote:And despite the huge taxes that apply to many imported goodies, the rampant inflation and devalued currency, many tourists still expect costs to remain the same as they were 5 years ago.
Thing is, it seems to me that the latest hikes mentioned above are only effectively returning the prices in foreign currency to what they were before the devaluation.

Tutankhamun's tomb for instance - up to 250LE, which is around 11 British quid. I'm sure it was around that sort of price when I visited seven years ago.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:37 pm

carrie wrote:I think they would have done better to defer the 60 dollar tourist visa charge due to be implemented. That will put more people off visiting than the entrance price to the sites etc.

The cost of a tourist visa is not significant compared to other prices. IMHO of course.