The Original Nile Cruise

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: The Original Nile Cruise

Post by Horus »

RS is eeferring to the fact that almost all ‘cruise & stay’ holidays will say 7 day cruise and 7 days in Luxor. One way she could do it is to start the cruise in Aswan thus returning there after 6/7 days and then booking a hotel stay in Aswan. It used to be like this because of the convenience of Luxor airport for the international flights and package tours which was often to fly in and go straight to the boat from the airport and the same on returning to Luxor from Aswan for 7 day holidays, or taken from the boat to your hotel in Luxor for the second week stayers.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Aaah....I see. Long time since I looked at Egypt from viewpoint of UK tourist :lol:

You could also take a 4 night cruise from Luxor to Aswan, stay in Aswan for 7 nights and then take a 3 night cruise back to Luxor...I suppose.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:I suppose the success or otherwise of the cruise is the 'luck of the draw' to some extent and if you read reviews they always vary from "holiday of a lifetime- highly recommended" to "holiday from hell - worst experience ever". I suppose you play the percentages and keep your fingers crossed.

But this is always the case in most situations, does any hotel/travel company/resort country ever escape this type of thing?

Having 'disagreeable' shipmates would be an issue. I don't suffer fools gladly. You may have noticed :roll:

This isnt exclusive to you or even rare my good man, who wants "disgreeable" shipmates? I cant think of anybody on any of the many cruises ive been on that have even come close to bothering me and lets remember, cruise boats are much bigger than rubber dinghys, they would be hanging onto your coat tails.

That's one reason why I'd go as upmarket as I can afford....although bad behaviour isn't necessarily confined to budget tourists. I'll just have to be on my best, uber-tolerant, behaviour and take plenty of valium with me.

Well, you just about won the argument against yourself there!

Although I've never cruised, I've traveled widely and no-one's landed a punch on me yet....possibly because, having given them a piece of my mind, I'm adept at scuttling off fast :lol:

First time for everything :D

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Well, you just about won the argument against yourself there!
Just goes to show how good I am at arguing ;)

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

Ive stayed on quite a few boats and they are all pretty similar although the stand out one wzs the sonesta st George. The food was fantastic much better than the other 5 or 6 ive used although it was more multicultural and the different nationalities didnt tend to mix much. I will be on the sonesta star goddess in less than a fortnight so will let you know how that is although it does look pretty impressive.
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

denisegr wrote:Ive stayed on quite a few boats and they are all pretty similar although the stand out one wzs the sonesta st George. The food was fantastic much better than the other 5 or 6 ive used although it was more multicultural and the different nationalities didnt tend to mix much. I will be on the sonesta star goddess in less than a fortnight so will let you know how that is although it does look pretty impressive.
Hope its great, can i ask who you booked through and would you be prepared to quote how much you paid please?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

My friend arrives back today from the ten day cruise. She was forced and manhandled onto the ship, and told in no uncertain way that she would take the all expenses free trip whether she liked it or not. She works for the tour company that hosts this trip. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

denisegr
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
United Kingdom

Post by denisegr »

Zooropa ive pm'd you
Worry doesn't help tomorrow's troubles,
but it does ruin today's happiness.
-anonymous

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis »

Could you please also post here for the rest of us who may be interested?
Carpe diem! :le:

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Zooropa wrote:
Ruby Slippers wrote:Why is it ALWAYS a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in Luxor?? Why can't I have a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in ASWAN? :(

Personally, as much as i like Aswan i wouldnt personally consider 7 nights there.

So 14 nights in Aswan would really finish you off then, Zooropa? :lol: I much prefer to holiday in Aswan than Luxor, but we are all different, aren't we? That's what makes the world such an interesting place! :up

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote:
Zooropa wrote:
Ruby Slippers wrote:Why is it ALWAYS a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in Luxor?? Why can't I have a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in ASWAN? :(

Personally, as much as i like Aswan i wouldnt personally consider 7 nights there.
Make your mind up! You sound like my ex-wife :lol:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Ruby Slippers wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

So 14 nights in Aswan would really finish you off then, Zooropa? :lol: I much prefer to holiday in Aswan than Luxor, but we are all different, aren't we? That's what makes the world such an interesting place! :up
Trust me Ruby Slippers, it wouldnt "finish me off" i love Aswan and its scenary trumps that of Luxor IMO but 14 days would be too long for me.

Having said that i wouldnt ideally want 14 nights in Luxor either - ive always done a cruise on my 14 day trips.

But right now, if you were offering me it - id snap your hand off!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Just been over to the other side on my way back saw a lovely boat, The Esmerelda, tied up so decided to go ask how much for a cruise. 35 dollars per night, that is with all meals and drinks but not alcohol. Tours not included. Looked round the boat the cabins etc looked spotlessly clean and very swish.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Just been over to the other side on my way back saw a lovely boat, The Esmerelda, tied up so decided to go ask how much for a cruise. 35 dollars per night, that is with all meals and drinks but not alcohol. Tours not included. Looked round the boat the cabins etc looked spotlessly clean and very swish.
Sounds interesting...I'll give it a look.

I wonder if there are special rates for hunchbacks :tk

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

[/quote]

Make your mind up! You sound like my ex-wife :lol:[/quote]

Sorry, Newcastle. I was actually quoting one line of Zooropa's previous post - but forgot the quotation marks! :D

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Personally, as much as i like Aswan i wouldnt personally consider 7 nights there.
Make your mind up! You sound like my ex-wife :lol:[/quote]

Sorry, Newcastle. I was actually quoting one line of Zooropa's previous post - but forgot the quotation marks! :D[/quote]

Oooops! :a8:

Point taken !

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:
carrie wrote:Just been over to the other side on my way back saw a lovely boat, The Esmerelda, tied up so decided to go ask how much for a cruise. 35 dollars per night, that is with all meals and drinks but not alcohol. Tours not included. Looked round the boat the cabins etc looked spotlessly clean and very swish.

Ok Quasimodo, but as you will be walking a bit funny, if you go up for a whiskey and the barman asks “Bells all right mate?” remember he means your drink. ;)

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:
newcastle wrote:

Ok Quasimodo, but as you will be walking a bit funny, if you go up for a whiskey and the barman asks “Bells all right mate?” remember he means your drink. ;)
:a8: :a8:

As long as I'm not hassled....! won't get the hump :ct

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

FarleyFlavors wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Booking locally is bound to be much cheaper
I keep hearing people say this but it hasn't been my experience.

On the one occasion I went to the boats to inquire about booking direct, I was quoted in the $80-$120 range per night for two people full board with no excursions. The last seven-night cruise I went on a couple of years ago was £469 per person all inclusive with 10 excursions thrown in. Not only that, it included direct flights on Egyptair from Heathrow.
Just came across another similar bargain to the one I mentioned.

Flights from Gatwick to Hurghada, two nights all-inclusive in Hurghada, seven night full board Nile cruise and a further two nights all-inclusive in Hurghada with all transfers included. Only £399pp.

I really doubt you could beat this kind of deal by booking a cruise locally. The Hurghada hotel alone comes in at £105pp for four nights.

http://www.travelinteraction.co.uk/spec ... park-1438/

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Wow - good find.

You dont have to do your own rowing do you? :D