The Original Nile Cruise

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: The Original Nile Cruise

Post by newcastle »

Well Horus....you've done such a good job extolling the virtues of a Nile cruise that I just might dip my toe in the water, so to speak, and give it a try.

What have I got to lose...other than a week of my time and, if the food's not great, a few kilos of fat :lol:

If I do book, I'll tell the operators they owe you some commission ;)

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

So Newcastle which boat will you choose? Plenty out there.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Zooropa wrote:£4680.00

Plus suppliments.
Does that include flights?
Yes Egyptair out of Heathrow - however its the later returning flight 9-05pm

They wanted extra for 2-50pm arriving flight!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

carrie wrote:Never been on a Nile Cruise but intend to do so later in the year, I have noted the name of the boat mentioned, where does it tie up might just have a little visit and check out the prices.
Like Newcastle I'm not very sociable or other wise known as a miserable ... but just so long as there are no noisy kids on board I think I could manage.
As indicated Carrie, its down by the bridge El-Boghdady is the name of the place i believe.

Would be interesting to see what kind of price you can get by going direct - its not cheap booking from UK.

A word of warning, i have a drinks price list from 2015 - not cheap if you like anything with alcohol in it.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:My old sparing partner on here, Stan, would always call them "floating gin palaces" and rubbish them at any opportunity even though he had never been on one. Although joking apart I would agree with you on the general standard of food in Luxor hotels leaving a lot to be desired at times even though I have tried most of the better ones. However on the cruise boats I have never had the same food twice in one holiday even though I usually do as Zooropa does and take the 7 day option. I personally like the fact that I can take or leave the organised tours and we would often skip the West Bank tour which is usually the first one, in favour of checking the city out, seeing some old friends and calling into the hotel where we will stay on the second week to make sure everything is in order. The same with the tour itinerary, I usually sit and have a chat with the appointed group guide when we arrive on the boat and explain that as we have visited many times we do not need his guided tour, we will accompany the group, but do our own thing once we are there. This has never presented any problems as I always give them their expected tip at the end in any event.

Exactly what i do

As to the social side we have always found most people friendly and good company, there are usually a few miserable b’s like yourself, :D but they usually finish up joining in and having a laugh or two. A really good point is that even for an experienced visitor the hassle is seriously reduced as all the tickets are procured for you and the transport between venues is organised so the interaction is limited other than running the usual gauntlet at the entrances. One of the most enjoyable experiences is going through the Esna lock and the carpet and galebaya sellers rowing their little boats around the ship and calling out their wares, throwing stuff up onto the deck for approval then athletically leaping about in order to catch them again when thrown back, or diving into the river to retrieve a poorly lobbed item and all with lots of shouting and laughing, it must have been like that when Thomas Cooke organised his first tours.

We have done most options from cruises to good hotels and we enjoyed our last cruise so much that we had decided that our next visit would be the same 7 day cruise back to back for two weeks rather than bother with Luxor hotels, that was before the long cruise became available again. Who knows we may meet up on one and spend the whole cruise arguing about Brexit. ;)

You had best co ordinate your trip with me Horus for back up. :D

And id be interested to know who you book with and how much you pay Horus!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

newcastle wrote:Well Horus....you've done such a good job extolling the virtues of a Nile cruise that I just might dip my toe in the water, so to speak, and give it a try.

What have I got to lose...other than a week of my time and, if the food's not great, a few kilos of fat :lol:

Well that is very kind of you ;) and in return if you give the boat a good report then I may just be inspired enough to visit again on that boat. :D My daughter has said many times that she would love to go and see all the places her mum loved so much and to be honest I am in a position to treat her and her husband to a visit, I took my brother and my sister in law once over and they loved it although we only stayed in a hotel and then flew to Cairo for a couple of days. I just wish that the situation was better than it currently is as I have been giving it some serious consideration of late and a two centre job with a 7 day Nile cruise, a couple of days in Cairo and the rest of the week at the old Movenpick (Kings Island) would suit me fine as the lack of atmosphere in the hotels would be more bearable and the hassle would be less, my daughter would hate all the hassle you get walking around. :(

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

crewmeal wrote:So Newcastle which boat will you choose? Plenty out there.
I know what you mean!

Hopefully one a bit more seaworthy than this :

Being serious...what do you recommend? I'm happy to pay for luxury.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Horus wrote:
newcastle wrote:Well Horus....you've done such a good job extolling the virtues of a Nile cruise that I just might dip my toe in the water, so to speak, and give it a try.

Well that is very kind of you ;) and in return if you give the boat a good report then I may just be inspired enough to visit again on that boat. :D My daughter has said many times that she would love to go and see all the places her mum loved so much and to be honest I am in a position to treat her and her husband to a visit, I took my brother and my sister in law once over and they loved it although we only stayed in a hotel and then flew to Cairo for a couple of days. I just wish that the situation was better than it currently is as I have been giving it some serious consideration of late and a two centre job with a 7 day Nile cruise, a couple of days in Cairo and the rest of the week at the old Movenpick (Kings Island) would suit me fine as the lack of atmosphere in the hotels would be more bearable and the hassle would be less, my daughter would hate all the hassle you get walking around. :(
Do it!

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

I am sure I have cruised on that rusting hulk, :lol: it looks like the old King Tut :up

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

newcastle wrote:
crewmeal wrote:So Newcastle which boat will you choose? Plenty out there.
I know what you mean!

Hopefully one a bit more seaworthy than this :

Being serious...what do you recommend? I'm happy to pay for luxury.
You quite often see the "Sudan" i think its called - the old steamer which i believe "death On The Nile" was filmed, but its very expensive i believe.

Some of the best boats used to be the ones Thomson used (via Travcotels) but its surprising how quick they become "worn".

Ive travelled on boats only 5 years old that looked a lot older - i doubt many have been built if at all since 2010.

Booking locally is bound to be much cheaper - ive been quoted the best part of £1000 by my usual agent this time where as previously ive got pretty much the same thing for £599-799 previously.

I love the Esadora as has been mentioned, its used by Orbital Travel in the UK but i book via a local agent in Leicestershire the same Orbital package that saves me around £100 but that includes a 7 day Nile palace stay as well. The company that owns the boat i believe is "Emilio".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrlGNaC3RUI

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The Sudan - if it's still running - is looking like around 1000 euros .Plus single supplement etc. Not at all bad. That's for Luxor-Aswan one way. I'm guessing around 2000 euros with everything in then.

I also noticed the Sun Boat III.

Much research needed...helped by the Google ads which are now infesting my FB newsfeed. Impressive algorithms they have....click on anything and you're deluged for ever with associated ads :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

There are lots of different comments about Nile Cruises on Trip Advisor, but The Esadora is one of the best

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Only fair to warn you Newcastle that just like LSD you can get a bad trip. A memorable one we had was usually mainly British clients, but for some reason or another as we reached Aswan a large party of (I think Bolivians) or some other South American country came aboard, I reckon the boat was under booked. As can be expected they all stuck together and little English could be heard so it virtually segregated the dining room at mealtimes. People did try to join in with them and at one point it became obvious that it was some sort of a national celebration for them as the staff continually played some taped Andean type music they had supplied them with (not at all unpleasant) coupled with some sort of marching tunes befitting a moustachioed dictator. :lol: We all did our best to sing and clap enthusiastically as they sang, god knows what we were actually singing about or clapping but we did try and join in. :up

That in itself was not so bad even if they did want their music playing every dinner time, the biggest problem was the table manners. Most boats usually have a double sided serving area with several chefs strategically located to carve or to serve as you progress along, but several from this group (mostly women) would manhandle things like bread rolls with some almost stuffing them up their noses to determine freshness, prior to putting them back on the plate again and doing the same to determine what was in the various sauce boats :sk , looking is one thing but almost having your nose in it is well out of order. :stp My wife and I would make a dash to get our food prior to their arrival, on that boat we were never late for dinner. :D

The only other slightly annoying occasion was when one couple had their two young kids with them and heaven help us there was a table tennis table on the sun deck. Every day of their three day cruise it was ping, pong, ping, pong with that annoying clacking sound from dawn till dusk, of course their parents were nowhere to be seen. :urm: Oh the joy of seeing those stray shots going over the side and I can’t imagine how it happened but I accidentally trod on quite a few. ;)

FarleyFlavors

Post by FarleyFlavors »

I've been on three cruises. Never had much problem with the accommodation, the food (which ranged from average to excellent) or the other passengers on any of the boats.

The only problem is that I get a bit bored being onboard after a few days. I'd much rather be in a Luxor hotel and be able to get out and about. It didn't help that the boats I've been on were all moored up near the bridge so it was tricky to get into town.
Zooropa wrote:Booking locally is bound to be much cheaper
I keep hearing people say this but it hasn't been my experience.

On the one occasion I went to the boats to inquire about booking direct, I was quoted in the $80-$120 range per night for two people full board with no excursions. The last seven-night cruise I went on a couple of years ago was £469 per person all inclusive with 10 excursions thrown in. Not only that, it included direct flights on Egyptair from Heathrow.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I suppose the success or otherwise of the cruise is the 'luck of the draw' to some extent and if you read reviews they always vary from "holiday of a lifetime- highly recommended" to "holiday from hell - worst experience ever". I suppose you play the percentages and keep your fingers crossed.

Having 'disagreeable' shipmates would be an issue. I don't suffer fools gladly. You may have noticed :roll:

That's one reason why I'd go as upmarket as I can afford....although bad behaviour isn't necessarily confined to budget tourists. I'll just have to be on my best, uber-tolerant, behaviour and take plenty of valium with me.

Although I've never cruised, I've traveled widely and no-one's landed a punch on me yet....possibly because, having given them a piece of my mind, I'm adept at scuttling off fast :lol:

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

There - I've brought the price down, but only 3 dates this year.

https://www.orbitaltravel.co.uk/cruises ... e-cruises/

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

"From £2500"

This is ball park the "from figure" that i saw before being quoted.

One of those dates has passed which is likely the cheapest time being May.

It may end up cheaper but i wouldnt count on it.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers »

Why is it ALWAYS a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in Luxor?? Why can't I have a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in ASWAN? :(

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Why is it ALWAYS a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in Luxor?? Why can't I have a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in ASWAN? :(
I've no idea what you're on about :ni:

Maybe I'm a bit dense this evening :)

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Ruby Slippers wrote:Why is it ALWAYS a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in Luxor?? Why can't I have a 7 night cruise and 7 nights in ASWAN? :(
You can!

Im not aware of any 7 night cruises that finish in Aswan as far as package tours are concerned, im not saying there are not but the standard appears to be start and finish in Luxor for seven nights as far as packages are concerned, i suspect its a supply and demand issue. Theres less interest (i would have thought) in 7 nights in Aswan as there is in 7 nights in Luxor.

Personally, as much as i like Aswan i wouldnt personally consider 7 nights there.

There are plenty of 4 night cruises that end in Aswan and then it would just be a case of booking a hotel in Aswan.

I wish that it were easier to book cruises direct from the UK like you can hotels but it is what it is.

Im not comfy booking direct with Egyptian companies whilst im based in the UK, this may well be an oddity down to me but i wouldnt personally consider booking a cruise direct.

Of course you could always do a 7 night cruise and then fly/taxi to Aswan after but i imagine you would much prefer to end the cruise in Aswan, i know i would.
Last edited by Zooropa on Wed May 31, 2017 9:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.