'Nothing for young folk to do.'

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

'Nothing for young folk to do.'

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue May 30, 2017 6:41 am

'Nothing for young folk to do in Luxor!'

Yet again I have just read a comment on this forum stating that sentiment. What I would like to understand is just what it is that is missing that, if provided, would make Luxor a better tourist attraction?

Is there something that used to be there but no longer is?

Is there a defined age that covers 'young folk'?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: 'Nothing for young folk to do.'

Post by carrie » Tue May 30, 2017 6:52 am

Never been anything for young people to do in Luxor. Luxor has attracted people in the past who were interested in the antiquities, they wanted to be up very early in the morning before it got too hot to trail round, then spend the rest of the day by the pool. Have dinner and then an early night ready for the next day.
There did use to be at least one night club, Senhuie, a dump and a picking up joint, a disco in the Etap, poorly attended and a folk show in the then Meridien hotel, plus a fake folk show at the Movenpick all gone and not to be regretted. I can't say that they attracted tourists. If your looking for a vibrant night life Luxor has never been the place to visit.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 6:54 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:'Nothing for young folk to do in Luxor!'

Yet again I have just read a comment on this forum stating that sentiment. What I would like to understand is just what it is that is missing that, if provided, would make Luxor a better tourist attraction?

Is there something that used to be there but no longer is?

Is there a defined age that covers 'young folk'?
What's missing for the young folk?

A giant theme park, with plenty of water rides ('cos it's hot) for the really young.....and maybe a zoo.

Plenty of riverside pubs where the older ones can drink themselves unconscious on exotic cocktails whilst taking the p*ss out of the locals and their weird attire

A few multi-screen cinemas featuring the latest releases.,...the raunchier the better.

Discos and rave parties....slightly out-of-town to avoid disturbing residents. Medinat Habu or Deir el Bahari look ideal.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue May 30, 2017 7:22 am

******** to the young there is little to do for older people too.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 am

Bombay wrote:******** to the young there is little to do for older people too.
What would be your ideal remedy for that?
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal » Tue May 30, 2017 7:30 am

What no Fish 'n Chips? No English breakfast served all day? No Carling served here? No free shots? That does it I'm not coming :P

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue May 30, 2017 7:37 am

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Move like most already have.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue May 30, 2017 7:40 am

crewmeal wrote:What no Fish 'n Chips? No English breakfast served all day? No Carling served here? No free shots? That does it I'm not coming :P
We can but be thankful for small mercies :wi

Its Heineken here not Carling and even Heineken can't refresh this part of the planet. :br

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 8:30 am

That's very defeatist Bombay.

What about a few Bingo halls?

Regular 60's and 70's music nights...with karaoke and a tombola thrown in? First prize....the cost of a visa-run flight.

"Pop -Up" walks...or "Pop-Up Wheelchair strolls".

Embalming classes at the Mummification Museum......motto: Be Prepared !
Last edited by newcastle on Tue May 30, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue May 30, 2017 8:38 am

I suppose it depends on what you want here, never been a night person, never a drinker a night out with ex pat gossiping and getting legless, no way, karaoke the thought fills me with horror.
Now go for a mooch round my local market, visit the garden centre, walk in the hills, see the tombs and temples (yet again) people watch, go for coffee with friends all available here I want no more. Oh forgot an occasional day at Shaharazade's Hotel excellent swimming pool.

hatusu
Egypt

Post by hatusu » Tue May 30, 2017 8:50 am

From the age of 8 yrs old I'd always wanted to come to Egypt, after learning about the ancient Egyptians in school. In my younger years I could never have afforded it, but I know I would still have loved it despite its lack of certain amenities. It's nothing to do with age.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 8:58 am

Bombay wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Move like most already have.
Or get a dog....take it for walkies.

Or hang on for a few more years until senility takes over..... and you are no longer aware that there's nothing to do. :ct

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue May 30, 2017 9:33 am

Or get a dog turn it into a vicious animal that you are unable to re home when you leave so have it killed.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue May 30, 2017 10:31 am

The reason there is little to do is due to the town having too few people around. Back in the day the Kings head was usually full every night along with Sinhoue Disco and Tut Hotel Disco's, Lotus Boat, Hotel Bars had singers{?} no people no atmosphere no business.

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 10:39 am

Bombay wrote:The reason there is little to do is due to the town having too few people around. Back in the day the Kings head was usually full every night along with Sinhoue Disco and Tut Hotel Disco's, Lotus Boat, Hotel Bars had singers{?} no people no atmosphere no business.
A sticky problem....otherwise known as a viscous circle :cg

LuxorFan

Post by LuxorFan » Tue May 30, 2017 10:59 am

So long as there's an interest in antiquities there's plenty to do. If a vibrant night life is required not so much. I can't imagine why someone would come to Luxor expecting that anyway.

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Tue May 30, 2017 11:56 am

Good point Luxorfan, the only thing needed to supplement that would be some good places to dine out if the fancy took you, then add some other places of interest that enhanced your reason for being there in the first place, a good example is the excellent Luxor Museum & Mummification museum (my own jury is still out on replica tombs). Some real shopping opportunities to see and buy locally produced products and crafts, yes I know there are some, but still not enough from a tourist standpoint and of course the chance to browse them hassle free is a huge bonus. More river day trips available similar to the old Lotus boat cruise to Denderah and a nice park area with plenty of shade adjacent to the Corniche where people could just sit hassle free and enjoy the river and the views over the West Bank, I remember the old one being quite pleasant before they replaced it with heat reflecting granite. I personally don’t think it needs any modern forms of entertainment, there are plenty of people still attracted to its old world charm and the monuments, if only they would maintain what they have already and stop starting projects that ruin the place such as the Opet Festival Way, a great idea that turned to dust, literally.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay » Tue May 30, 2017 1:45 pm

Horus wrote:Good point Luxorfan, the only thing needed to supplement that would be some good places to dine out if the fancy took you, then add some other places of interest that enhanced your reason for being there in the first place, a good example is the excellent Luxor Museum & Mummification museum (my own jury is still out on replica tombs). Some real shopping opportunities to see and buy locally produced products and crafts, yes I know there are some, but still not enough from a tourist standpoint and of course the chance to browse them hassle free is a huge bonus. More river day trips available similar to the old Lotus boat cruise to Denderah and a nice park area with plenty of shade adjacent to the Corniche where people could just sit hassle free and enjoy the river and the views over the West Bank, I remember the old one being quite pleasant before they replaced it with heat reflecting granite. I personally don’t think it needs any modern forms of entertainment, there are plenty of people still attracted to its old world charm and the monuments, if only they would maintain what they have already and stop starting projects that ruin the place such as the Opet Festival Way, a great idea that turned to dust, literally.
That is a lot better now than when I first came here 20 years ago no McDonalds no KFC no Pizza Hut no Indian no Chinese no Thai just the Amoun for people watching and La Mamas at the Sheraton for pizza.

Where?

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 1:54 pm

Horus wrote:Good point Luxorfan, the only thing needed to supplement that would be some good places to dine out if the fancy took you, then add some other places of interest that enhanced your reason for being there in the first place, a good example is the excellent Luxor Museum & Mummification museum (my own jury is still out on replica tombs). Some real shopping opportunities to see and buy locally produced products and crafts, yes I know there are some, but still not enough from a tourist standpoint and of course the chance to browse them hassle free is a huge bonus. More river day trips available similar to the old Lotus boat cruise to Denderah and a nice park area with plenty of shade adjacent to the Corniche where people could just sit hassle free and enjoy the river and the views over the West Bank, I remember the old one being quite pleasant before they replaced it with heat reflecting granite. I personally don’t think it needs any modern forms of entertainment, there are plenty of people still attracted to its old world charm and the monuments, if only they would maintain what they have already and stop starting projects that ruin the place such as the Opet Festival Way, a great idea that turned to dust, literally.
I can agree with all of that.

The replica Tut tomb is surprisingly impressive...although I too had my doubts about it before seeing it, A replica Seti I or Nefertari, if done to the same standard , would be fantastic...and a hell of a lot more expensive of course.

The hassle factor while shopping, or relaxing in the shade , is a problem I see no end to without a mindset change in the Egyptians. I doubt the proposed new law will have much effect in practice. It would also take a mindset change - from the police.

Maybe they'll see the light after a generation or two of absent tourists?

Horus
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Horus » Tue May 30, 2017 2:13 pm

Bombay wrote:
That is a lot better now than when I first came here 20 years ago no McDonalds no KFC no Pizza Hut no Indian no Chinese no Thai just the Amoun for people watching and La Mamas at the Sheraton for pizza.

Where?
You missed my point Bombay, I was not saying that there were no places to dine out (you are being too sensitive) I was saying that ALL most people required to enhance their holiday to Luxor and the monuments was TO HAVE the availability of places to dine out along with the other things I mentioned, try reading it again. ;)