My Visit

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

My Visit

Post by Zooropa » Mon May 29, 2017 2:36 am

Well, here are a few thoughts regarding my visit, make of it what you will.

I didnt notice much difference from my last trip around 18 months ago.

Re hassle, it was about the same to be honest in terms of frequency, perhaps there were a few more really unsavory moments than previously but i tend to find the business owners close to the hotel leave you alone after a few days as you get familure to them and they realise you are not going to bite.

Apart from the awful caleche drivers who i would be quite happy never to see again.

Im not going to comment too much on their tactics which rival the monuments themselves in terms of age except to say that even if their sales tactics where more conducive to business they still have the quality of their wares to contend with.

In the majority of cases its, well, tat.

Camels with "i love Egypt" on them - oh please!

Even the designs on the mugs have not changed in a millennia. Surely they must realise that they are down to the "die hards" in terms of visitors for the most part, if a little more thought could go into whats printed on them then i may, even just out of appreciation of effort add to my collection of 20 odd mugs.

Having the benefit of local knowledge from Dusak's good lady was very welcome, i visited some outlets with very reasonably priced interesting wares and the perfume i bought my sister has gone down very well as apposed to the toilet which would probably have been the case had i been left to my own devices

Prices appeared to be cheaper as far as i was concerned, meals and drinks did not appear to be more expensive from memory, even the hotel prices appeared more reasonable, whether thats just because of the exchange rate or a more realisitc attitude im not sure. Certainly things like water and soft drinks from shops appeared to be very reasonable to me.

The exchange rate has certainly been benificial re entry prices (did i hear news of a soon to be applied price increase?).

I even partook in Tut's tomb for the first time in years - 100 le for what is a boring tomb under current exchange rates makes it now less than a fiver!

The return of photography tickets was a surprise to me and perhaps a symptom of the drop in tourist revenue, being able to take pictures in the museum in Cairo was new to me, happens i would have come more prepared had i known beforehand although the risk of being beaten to death by my son would have increased considerably as id have quite happily spent hours and hours snapping away.

As i have mentioned elsewhere there was a marked increase in my experience in people attempting to take money which has not been given to them freely, i like to think im as appreciative as your average tourists but as others have commented, having it taken for granted is something i wont tolerate.

I didnt do as much as i normally do on the monument side of things because of my travel companion but that will change when i return later this year, the only decision i have to make is as to how long i can resist the temptation to book given the rubbish i have to put up with here at home but thats another story.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: My Visit

Post by newcastle » Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 am

Zooropa wrote:Well, here are a few thoughts regarding my visit, make of it what you will.

Re hassle, it was about the same to be honest in terms of frequency, perhaps there were a few more really unsavory moments than previously but i tend to find the business owners close to the hotel leave you alone after a few days as you get familure to them and they realise you are not going to bite.

Apart from the awful caleche drivers who i would be quite happy never to see again.

Some of them are pretty grim. I always stick to my friend "Ali" who I've known for several years, met the family etc. etc. I can also sort anything else touristy through him...saving hassle & cost. Having said that...giving him my phone number wasn't one of my smartest moves :lol:

Im not going to comment too much on their tactics which rival the monuments themselves in terms of age except to say that even if their sales tactics where more conducive to business they still have the quality of their wares to contend with.

Even the designs on the mugs have not changed in a millennia. Surely they must realise that they are down to the "die hards" in terms of visitors for the most part, if a little more thought could go into whats printed on them then i may, even just out of appreciation of effort add to my collection of 20 odd mugs.

They must have a mountain of "tat" to dispose of given the dearth of tourists over the last 5 years so I suppose "new lines" are not seen as a priority. There are interesting things to buy....but you have to look hard.

Having the benefit of local knowledge from Dusak's good lady was very welcome, i visited some outlets with very reasonably priced interesting wares and the perfume i bought my sister has gone down very well as apposed to the toilet which would probably have been the case had i been left to my own devices

Having a local trustworthy contact is of enormous benefit when tackling Luxor...c.f my "Ali"

Prices appeared to be cheaper as far as i was concerned, meals and drinks did not appear to be more expensive from memory, even the hotel prices appeared more reasonable, whether thats just because of the exchange rate or a more realisitc attitude im not sure. Certainly things like water and soft drinks from shops appeared to be very reasonable to me.

In UK terms I think prices are not that different from a year ago....i.e.. they've doubled in LE terms!

The exchange rate has certainly been benificial re entry prices (did i hear news of a soon to be applied price increase?).

Yep.....viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38154&hilit=photography

I even partook in Tut's tomb for the first time in years - 100 le for what is a boring tomb under current exchange rates makes it now less than a fiver!

I prefer the replica adjacent to Carter House. Incredible work, more to see...and you can take photos!

The return of photography tickets was a surprise to me and perhaps a symptom of the drop in tourist revenue, being able to take pictures in the museum in Cairo was new to me, happens i would have come more prepared had i known beforehand although the risk of being beaten to death by my son would have increased considerably as id have quite happily spent hours and hours snapping away.

It was mentioned on here a year ago......viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36975&hilit=photography

As i have mentioned elsewhere there was a marked increase in my experience in people attempting to take money which has not been given to them freely, i like to think im as appreciative as your average tourists but as others have commented, having it taken for granted is something i wont tolerate.

I didnt do as much as i normally do on the monument side of things because of my travel companion but that will change when i return later this year, the only decision i have to make is as to how long i can resist the temptation to book given the rubbish i have to put up with here at home but thats another story.
Well....you got home safe & sound having acquired a nice tan and lost a few kilos I imagine. Your son, whilst not perhaps as appreciative of the history as you might have wished, saw something of another world/culture....never a bad thing for a young man. Shame about the kitchen...but, unless you put your bed in it and never leave, what can you do? :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon May 29, 2017 6:32 am

Did your son enjoy it here Zooropa, was it what he expected? Would he chose to come here again without you?
There are some nice things to take back from here but you have to go to the right places, Caravanserai near Medinet Habu have some different things as does Habiba in the souk.
Having just returned from Turkey sounds like the same tack is on sale everywhere but there it's not hard to find good quality goods there unlike here and the souk.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Mon May 29, 2017 7:57 am

The only problem with this 'tat' that still litters the display windows is that it is mass produced for markets such as Egypt. And although some do look to be of a decent quality, are, I should imagine, still cheap to bulk buy and produce a very good mark up for the shop owners. Pity that most shops have never heard of a feather duster. :lol: Its like the shop owners that seem to be quite content to open their shop, sit inside or out for up to fourteen hours, sell nothing, but lives in the hope that a tourist just may enter his shop and buy a couple of the 'I love Egypt camels.' Which incidentally, I had one, bought for Alfie and Bob to play with. Went down a treat as a kill toy. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon May 29, 2017 9:43 am

carrie wrote:Did your son enjoy it here Zooropa, was it what he expected? Would he chose to come here again without you?
There are some nice things to take back from here but you have to go to the right places, Caravanserai near Medinet Habu have some different things as does Habiba in the souk.
Having just returned from Turkey sounds like the same tack is on sale everywhere but there it's not hard to find good quality goods there unlike here and the souk.
Carrie,
My son is not the type to make his feelings obvious, i think he had an ok time but i doubt he would choose to return under his own steam.

If i was paying? Well that could well be a different matter.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Mon May 29, 2017 10:43 am

Generally the case with kids Zooropa, the bank of Mum and Dad is famous :lol:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon May 29, 2017 11:18 am

carrie wrote:Generally the case with kids Zooropa, the bank of Mum and Dad is famous :lol:
Yes, i just wished that the bank of Mum had/has been able to provide a tad more withdrawls in line with the bank of dad, but again, thats another story!

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Mon May 29, 2017 1:20 pm

newcastle wrote:
Zooropa wrote:Well, here are a few thoughts regarding my visit, make of it what you will.

Some of them are pretty grim. I always stick to my friend "Ali" who I've known for several years, met the family etc. etc. I can also sort anything else touristy through him...saving hassle & cost. Having said that...giving him my phone number wasn't one of my smartest moves :lol:

They must have a mountain of "tat" to dispose of given the dearth of tourists over the last 5 years so I suppose "new lines" are not seen as a priority. There are interesting things to buy....but you have to look hard.

Oh doubtless but that was rather my point i suppose, if im flogging something, chances of success increase dramatically if they are easy to find.

Having a local trustworthy contact is of enormous benefit when tackling Luxor...c.f my "Ali"

In UK terms I think prices are not that different from a year ago....i.e.. they've doubled in LE terms!

Yep.....viewtopic.php?f=4&t=38154&hilit=photography

I prefer the replica adjacent to Carter House. Incredible work, more to see...and you can take photos!

Noted!

It was mentioned on here a year ago......viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36975&hilit=photography

Well....you got home safe & sound having acquired a nice tan and lost a few kilos I imagine. Your son, whilst not perhaps as appreciative of the history as you might have wished, saw something of another world/culture....never a bad thing for a young man. Shame about the kitchen...but, unless you put your bed in it and never leave, what can you do? :lol:

Correct there isnt much i can do!

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue May 30, 2017 4:43 am

Interesting to read your post on your visit to Luxor Zoroopa. I can well imagine your son would not comment too much, I don't think he would want to upset the apple cart. There is nothing for young people there, and nothing to attract them there. He may think he would have enjoyed it more in Highgate Cemetry. Can you honestly say that Luxor will improve over the next few years? I personally think not. The only money that get invested these days is when dignitaries from Cairo visit, and gallons of emulsion paint are daubed all over the kerbs and streets. The airport once a hive of activity may has well be halved in size and low cost housing built. I read that many of the Ramla coffee shops have been demolished, now where do people go. We know that many of the shops in Ramla are unlicensed, alas when big brother comes calling the shutters are down.
The place at the moment is a mess due to lack of investment and lack of care. It should be the money city of Egypt. So much needs to change to make it vibrant again.
The only thing that is increasing in Luxor is poverty, and in time crime will follow. I love how people keep saying how good it is What!! What are they talking about? I can only think that they say this because it's cheap for them to live there, for when we lived there we found nothing in the last two years to report home. In them 24 months we soon learned to hate it, even more so when we took off our shades and explored the place. You can visit the temples tombs and monuments day after day week after week year after year, but you will see no change. Nothing is being done to attract people. We were told at one time over 2000 Europeans lived there, when we left we were told around 200 die hards. Not willing to admit there is a better life elsewhere.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 5:31 am

Major Thom wrote:In them 24 months we soon learned to hate it.........
Ain't that the truth! :roll:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue May 30, 2017 6:44 am

Well I for one had a wonderful holiday in a beautiful location. Met some very very nice people, ate wonderful food, coming back through the desert from Hurghada saw the desert, the mountains, back in Luxor all decorated for Ramadan I felt once again that I was home, nothing to do with the price of anything but a true love of the place and the people. Unfortunately some only ever see the faults never the beauty of the light changing on the mountains, never the generosity of the people here, never the humour that Egyptians have in abundance, glad to be home even though I could buy fish fingers in Turkey (much to my friends disgust.}

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Tue May 30, 2017 7:50 am

Major Thom wrote:Interesting to read your post on your visit to Luxor Zoroopa. I can well imagine your son would not comment too much, I don't think he would want to upset the apple cart. There is nothing for young people there, and nothing to attract them there. He may think he would have enjoyed it more in Highgate Cemetry. Can you honestly say that Luxor will improve over the next few years? I personally think not. The only money that get invested these days is when dignitaries from Cairo visit, and gallons of emulsion paint are daubed all over the kerbs and streets. The airport once a hive of activity may has well be halved in size and low cost housing built. I read that many of the Ramla coffee shops have been demolished, now where do people go. We know that many of the shops in Ramla are unlicensed, alas when big brother comes calling the shutters are down.
The place at the moment is a mess due to lack of investment and lack of care. It should be the money city of Egypt. So much needs to change to make it vibrant again.
The only thing that is increasing in Luxor is poverty, and in time crime will follow. I love how people keep saying how good it is What!! What are they talking about? I can only think that they say this because it's cheap for them to live there, for when we lived there we found nothing in the last two years to report home. In them 24 months we soon learned to hate it, even more so when we took off our shades and explored the place. You can visit the temples tombs and monuments day after day week after week year after year, but you will see no change. Nothing is being done to attract people. We were told at one time over 2000 Europeans lived there, when we left we were told around 200 die hards. Not willing to admit there is a better life elsewhere.
Please, please, change the record. Your constant repetition is tedious.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue May 30, 2017 8:31 am

I suppose its only interesting folk that can easily find interesting things to talk about and experience. And I can only surmise that folk that did not mix and could count their friends on their penis would have the same amount in another country. Those that continually look down onto the heads of the poor, usually set themselves so high above others, that it becomes impossible for them to come back down to earth. People that desert one place to try out pastures new, usually come to the conclusion that there is no place for them in existence. People say that the likes of any expat that emigrates is because they need to escape something, however large or small the reasons. But some, I believe, attempt to escape self created situations that time itself can not alter or change. Some just like to pick up a small dab of mud and rub it vigorously into the nearest eye, but remain blind themselves to see what really is out there.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 9:13 am

Yildez wrote:
Major Thom wrote:Interesting to read your post on your visit to Luxor Zoroopa. I can well imagine your son would not comment too much, I don't think he would want to upset the apple cart. There is nothing for young people there, and nothing to attract them there. He may think he would have enjoyed it more in Highgate Cemetry. Can you honestly say that Luxor will improve over the next few years? I personally think not. The only money that get invested these days is when dignitaries from Cairo visit, and gallons of emulsion paint are daubed all over the kerbs and streets. The airport once a hive of activity may has well be halved in size and low cost housing built. I read that many of the Ramla coffee shops have been demolished, now where do people go. We know that many of the shops in Ramla are unlicensed, alas when big brother comes calling the shutters are down.
Please, please, change the record. Your constant repetition is tedious.
He must have run out already of exciting things to do in Cyprus if he's back on here, wittering about Luxor :urm:

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue May 30, 2017 9:38 am

MT, heres some advice which you wont listen to but hey ho.

Add this site to your exlusion list and move on.

Theres nothing useful here for you now.

All you are going to get is ridicule, cheap shots , group baiting and snidyness.

Do you deserve it?

I dont know, this seems to have built up over the 12 month period i was off here ironically due to BS i was getting from some members, some no longer posting on here and some who appear to have wound their necks in.

Some people i respect clearly think you do as do some people whom i dont.

Tis perhaps a shame that you dont belong to a certain community, culture or dare i say it religion where criticism is seen as at best rude and at worst hate speech.

If you did im sure the continual dog baiting for example wouldnt have got off the starting blocks.

I mean, if your not gonna get pulled up on hanging an animal upside down, slitting its throat and letting it bleed to death then putting a dog to sleep would be pretty safe i would imagine.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of it all, do yourself a favor and give yourself a break.

Exit stage left and move on, not because they want you to but because its the right thing for you.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 10:29 am

Taking a knife to your son's throat, because some "voice from the sky" told you do it, is ok with half the world's population ( the 3.8 billion followers of Abrahamic religions). Happily, a sheep was eventually substituted for the young chap.

The 1.6 billion muslims celebrate the "event" annually at Eid el Adha when millions of sheep meet a brutal end.

2.2 billion Christians arguably go one step further by celebrating, annually, the self-sacrifice of a fellow human 2000 years ago. The only damage nowadays is to buns...left feeling "hot" and "cross".

Yet if any one person contemplated, or did, or condoned, such acts today, he'd very quickly be locked up....or worse.

You're right Zooropa. Terminating a surplus-to-requirements dog is pretty insignificant when you think about it.

Of course it's childish - but so long as MT feels he has to irritate us by rubbishing Luxor, some of us feel inclined to irritate him by referring to his dog. :ct
Last edited by newcastle on Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue May 30, 2017 11:22 am

newcastle wrote:Taking a knife to your son's throat, because some "voice from the sky" told you do it, is ok with half the world's population ( the 3.8 billion followers of Abrahamic religions). Happily, a sheep was eventually substituted for the young chap.

Whats your data for this assumption Newcastle? a Pew or Mori poll perhaps? I have in the past voted Tory but ive never, ever supported fox hunting or the Lords under its current make up that the Tories are not in support of reforming. Are you going to lump me in to the fox hunting supporters because ive supported them?

A lot of the reason why, like you, i tend not to debate believers is because whilst ive read the bible they have not! I wouldnt be surprised if a huge amount of people who claim to be adherants have ever heard of the story that you refer to, a lot of those who have will tell you that, that story is allegorical and not meant to be taken literally.

The 1.6 billion muslims celebrate the "event" annually at Eid el Adha

2.2 billion Christians arguably go one step further by celebrating, annually, the self-sacrifice of a fellow human 2000 years ago.

Yet if any one person contemplated, or did, or condoned, such acts today, he'd very quickly be locked up....or worse.

It would be reassuring to think so wouldnt it?

You're right Zooropa. Terminating a surplus-to-requirements dog is pretty insignificant when you think about it.
Yes i know its the politically correct and safe? thing to do to be always be balanced in your criticims, if you are gonna stick the boot in to Hindu's best have a pop at Sikhs at the same time etc.

Luckily i dont need to as i have you to balance it up for me, i think there would have to be a drink in it for you if we ever do meet up :wi

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue May 30, 2017 11:31 am

newcastle wrote:Taking a knife to your son's throat, because some "voice from the sky" told you do it, is ok with half the world's population ( the 3.8 billion followers of Abrahamic religions). Happily, a sheep was eventually substituted for the young chap.

The 1.6 billion muslims celebrate the "event" annually at Eid el Adha when millions of sheep meet a brutal end.

2.2 billion Christians arguably go one step further by celebrating, annually, the self-sacrifice of a fellow human 2000 years ago. The only damage nowadays is to buns...left feeling "hot" and "cross".

Of course it's childish - but so long as MT feels he has to irritate us by rubbishing Luxor, some of us feel inclined to irritate him by referring to his dog. :ct

Yep, what was it you said the other day? Oh yeah haters gonna hate.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa » Tue May 30, 2017 11:36 am

I could have quite easily rubbished Luxor on my original post and justifiably so in my view but whats the point?

To be told that i only come here 30 seconds a year what do i know, and if you dont like why did you come back?

In fact dont bother!

Bottom line, i came here (again) i got harassed (again), i got abused (again), i got insulted (again), i had people trying to rip me off (again), im coming back later this year (again).

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue May 30, 2017 11:40 am

Zooropa wrote:

Whats your data for this assumption Newcastle? a Pew or Mori poll perhaps? I have in the past voted Tory but ive never, ever supported fox hunting or the Lords under its current make up that the Tories are not in support of reforming. Are you going to lump me in to the fox hunting supporters because ive supported them?

A lot of the reason why, like you, i tend not to debate believers is because whilst ive read the bible they have not! I wouldnt be surprised if a huge amount of people who claim to be adherants have ever heard of the story that you refer to, a lot of those who have will tell you that, that story is allegorical and not meant to be taken literally.

Well muslims certainly believe it's a factual story....it's in the Qur'an ...ergo...

It's interesting to speculate what Christians/muslims would think if Abraham had actually carried out God's initial instructions. Many muslims seem happy to carry out God's instructions via the Quranic punishments - stoning, executing etc. - for those that are guilty of the offences committed in Sodom & Gomorrah. Or who do no more than deny the reality of these ancient myths.

The 1.6 billion muslims celebrate the "event" annually at Eid el Adha

2.2 billion Christians arguably go one step further by celebrating, annually, the self-sacrifice of a fellow human 2000 years ago.

It would be reassuring to think so wouldnt it?