Historic Hotels of Egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Historic Hotels of Egypt

Post by HEPZIBAH »

The title is a tad over grand and it is a bit out of date but interesting even so...

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Historic Hotels of Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Very interesting.

What became of The Luxor Hotel?

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

newcastle wrote:Very interesting.

A very interesting question. The last time I was there, was at the end of 2012, and it was being revamped, and most of the fixtures and fittings had been removed.

can you take a walk round there and find out please ?

My guess is, that it is still the same as I last time I saw it.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I have to admit to being a bit puzzled by the Luxor Hotel. I've heard of it, but I don't actually ever remember seeing it. However, so many hotels kept changing their names with alarming regularity that it could well have been one of those.

My first thought was it was somewhere at the back of Sinbads, which I think was knocked down a few years back.
My other thought was it could have been what is now the Etabe, but I'm less convinced of that.

No doubt someone will come and enlighten me before long. (I hope they do anyway!)
-Aldous Huxley

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

What became of The Luxor Hotel ?
Absolutely nothing......8)

Ps: Mind you I did acquire an initialled cup & saucer years ago...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

The Luxor Hotel, if you mean the one behind Sindbads it has been pulled down, part of the revamping of the Winter Palace that seems to have gone by the board now. If it's the one behind Hamess then that has gone as well it was also part of the Winter Palace scheme but was being done up and new extension at the back but alas like everything else no work gone on for ages and never likely to re commence. Rather like the heralded Four Seasons hotel.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:
newcastle wrote:Very interesting.

A very interesting question. The last time I was there, was at the end of 2012, and it was being revamped, and most of the fixtures and fittings had been removed.

can you take a walk round there and find out please ?

My guess is, that it is still the same as I last time I saw it.
According to the blurb itwas due for revamp in 2013. Also seems to be on Nile side. Maybe now the Etab?

I'm puzzled. Where was it when you saw it John?

http://www.historichotels.com.eg/en/lux ... n-map.html

John Landon
Top Member
Top Member
Venezuela

Post by John Landon »

newcastle wrote:
It was at the back of Sindbads cafe, just down Temple street past the old Egotel, Mercure Inn, Swiss Inn... :up

for the cost of a couple of Stella's. I enjoyed an few hours in there on my own back in 2007 when many of the fixtures and fittings in place and old photo's were on the walls.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

John Landon wrote:
newcastle wrote:
It was at the back of Sindbads cafe, just down Temple street past the old Egotel, Mercure Inn, Swiss Inn... :up

for the cost of a couple of Stella's. I enjoyed an few hours in there on my own back in 2007 when many of the fixtures and fittings in place and old photo's were on the walls.
That would make sense as it's described as "overlooking Luxor Temple".

And doesn't the entrance to the left of Sinbad (as you face it) have "Luxor Hotel" written over it?

So I guess the sumptuous old hotel has gone - or is now derelict?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

So is/was The Wena Hotel (I so hope I've not just made that up as it has just popped into my head as once being behind Sinbads/alongside Old Winter Palace area) the same as The Luxor Hotel? Was it once known as The Luxor Wena Hotel?

:tk :urm: :ni: :urm:
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:So is/was The Wena Hotel (I so hope I've not just made that up as it has just popped into my head as once being behind Sinbads/alongside Old Winter Palace area) the same as The Luxor Hotel? Was it once known as The Luxor Wena Hotel?

I think you're right. The Luxor Wena Hotel is described as one of the oldest in Luxor and lay behind Hamees/Sinbad..

I think there was some big dispute over the Wena hotel around 1998 and Wena were kicked out.

I found this :

"The country's change of direction that began in January 2011 may also have altered the scope of the alterations going on in Luxor. There had been a proposal to pedestrianise the whole of the Corniche, from the Iberotel, past the Winter Palace and past the Luxor Museum. We understand that these proposals have been curtailed and that the pedestrianisation may now stop where it is, which is between the Luxor Museum and the corner on the museum side of the El Luxor hotel.

That part of the pedestrianised corniche is potentially attractive, with planted and grassy areas and water features, but it is already looking sadly bedraggled and none of the shops along its edge have been occupied.

The Luxor Wena hotel, behind Sindbad and Hamees restaurants beyond the rear of Luxor Temple, is being refurbished. Slowly.

The rest of the centre of Luxor is still in a bit of a mess, especially along the route of the sphinx excavations. "

http://www.luxortraveltips.com/essentials/news.htm

Haven't found any info on current situation....but I don't see it marketed anywhere.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote: Haven't found any info on current situation....but I don't see it marketed anywhere.
:lol: Good luck with that. Type in a search engine Luxor Hotel, Luxor, Egypt and, apart from all the Luxor Hotel Las Vegas sites listed, you'll get every hotel/holiday company this side of the moon that has so much as one hotel listed in Luxor trying to convince you they have the best prices.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

newcastle wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:So is/was The Wena Hotel (I so hope I've not just made that up as it has just popped into my head as once being behind Sinbads/alongside Old Winter Palace area) the same as The Luxor Hotel? Was it once known as The Luxor Wena Hotel?

I think you're right. The Luxor Wena Hotel is described as one of the oldest in Luxor and lay behind Hamees/Sinbad..

I think there was some big dispute over the Wena hotel around 1998 and Wena were kicked out.

I found this :

"The country's change of direction that began in January 2011 may also have altered the scope of the alterations going on in Luxor. There had been a proposal to pedestrianise the whole of the Corniche, from the Iberotel, past the Winter Palace and past the Luxor Museum. We understand that these proposals have been curtailed and that the pedestrianisation may now stop where it is, which is between the Luxor Museum and the corner on the museum side of the El Luxor hotel.

That part of the pedestrianised corniche is potentially attractive, with planted and grassy areas and water features, but it is already looking sadly bedraggled and none of the shops along its edge have been occupied.

The Luxor Wena hotel, behind Sindbad and Hamees restaurants beyond the rear of Luxor Temple, is being refurbished. Slowly.

The rest of the centre of Luxor is still in a bit of a mess, especially along the route of the sphinx excavations. "

http://www.luxortraveltips.com/essentials/news.htm

Haven't found any info on current situation....but I don't see it marketed anywhere.
OK, so I'm still no clearer where theLuxor Hotel is/was.

The 'new' Corniche doesn't go as far as Luxor Temple = Sinbads/Luxor Wena area. Does it actually go as far as The Etabe (if that is its name this month)? I'm not sure, although thinking about it, that is the road that the cars have to go down to get to and from the Corniche heading towards/from Luxor Temple.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

The "El Luxor" (not to be confused with the "Luxor Hotel" :lol: ) is now the Etab/Eatabe :

"There used to be two Mercure Hotels. The Mercure Inn, also known locally as the Coralia, became the Swiss Inn and was subsequently demolished. The other, the Mercure Hotel, also known locally (and shown on old maps) as the Etap, became the El Luxor hotel at the beginning of 2010.

The El Luxor, owned by Misr Travel, a government company (Misr is Egyptian for Egypt) then became the Eatabe, returning it almost to its original name."

The Egyptian confusion of "p's" and "b's" is at work here methinks. :lol:

http://www.luxortraveltips.com/hotels/el_luxor.htm

The "Luxor Hotel" is (or was) definitely behind Hamees/Sindbad. I found it (named) on Google Earth ...but too indistinct to tell if it is still a standing building.

".
19 June 2009, 22:42
The historic Wena is the next-door hotel to the Mercure/Swiss Inn, heading towards the souk. It was rather dilapidated and the garden was quite overgrown last summer. (I think it was also known as the Luxor Hotel?)

Like the now demolished Savoy (behind the long wall on the Corniche near the Etap/Mercure Coralia) it was a classic luxury hotel in its day, but is now in a sorry state."
https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic ... alley.html
Last edited by newcastle on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Thank you newcastle. I knew the Etap had morphed a number of times - too many for me to remember. It's not a hotel I've ever had any interest in, but I am aware that Etap/b regulars have always stuck to that name, no matter the signage over head.

Now I'm feeling less confused, I think, maybe, perhaps!
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Newcastle, I am certain that when I have stayed there in the past that the El Luxor aka Etap, was also known as the Mercure Coralia Hotel Luxor.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

Anybody watching this The Halcyon ? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5808318/?ref_=nv_sr_1
I used to pick up there when I was mini cabbing, It was off Holland Park.
It's rather good but spotted that their air raid shelter is the Old House of Detention
in Clerkenwell Close where we use to have raves.

The granite pillars and walls gave it away....'heady days!.... 8)
Ps: The set for the Hotel is in Lincoln's Inn Fields..
Pss: The only thing that turns me right off is two gezzers 'chewing face, quite disgusting...
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Horus wrote:Newcastle, I am certain that when I have stayed there in the past that the El Luxor aka Etap, was also known as the Mercure Coralia Hotel Luxor.
That's right.

It's still being marketed under the old name as well.....just to add to the confusion :lol:

There was also a Mercure Coralia near where the the Luxor Hotel was (behind Sinbad/Hamees)...to further confuse!!

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys »

I think the Etap was at it's best in my experience in 1989, the staff were on the ball, it was sparkling clean. When you walked in along the "catwalk" there was just one discrete desk for tour leaders on the right hand side. One tour leader at a time, space, and uncluttered the highly polished copper tables In the sunken area furnished with chairs and couches that were beautiful. The large areas of the ceiling were filled with brightly coloured perfume bottles and brightly lit. The reception area was clean and smart and there was a bank facility on the left.
There were 5 restaurants of differing types - one by the pool, a bistro by the door to the garden, which at that time had lovely mature trees and was well tended. Light meals could be eaten in the raised area of the reception to the left of the reception. Upstairs, I think on the mezzanine floor was a large restaurant open virtually all day, and an A la carte restaurant only open in the evenings. The food was excellent. In the evening there was live music at the bar and terrace facing the Nile - it was crowded every night and all the travel books of the period recommended it as the "coolest" place in Luxor, a little palace. Yes there was a soldier or two at the door, but then they were everywhere you got used to it.

Even before the dip in tourism in the early 90s standards had started to slip, at the bottom of the tourist dip they actually took light bulbs out of their sockets in reception and lavatory stalls had only 5 sheets of paper in each. Eventually regulars advised Newbies not to order orange juice, because first the waiter would have to find an orange pip, plant and tend it then wait for the fruit to ripen and he could bring this fresh fruit to the hotel and squeeze it for your grandchildren............... seriously half and hour to 45 minutes was common waiting time even if there were only a few people being served. Food took much longer.
Smile! It confuses people

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I remember going in there a couple of years ago, when they still had an ATM machine, got some money then decided to have a coffee before going shopping. I waited and waited, waiters walked past me and I was completely ignored. Got out my book and had a read still after an hour no coffee. So I left. I left muttering to myself what a useless lot of staff they had there how did they ever expect guests to stay there it's too much trouble even to make a cup of coffee. On and on to myself. Went to Ragabs to do my shopping and realised I had left my spectacles on the table in the Etap. Shopped then made my way back, I was greeted by a couple of waiters who came running to me and said Madam you left your glasses we couldn't ring you because we hadn't your number. All was forgiven.