Observations/Comments Dec16/Jan17

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Observations/Comments Dec16/Jan17

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:Thank you so much Hepzibah for writing that very different type of review. It was very interesting to hear about your experience with taxis!

I will be travelling around Egypt in three weeks time and I was wondering how the devaluation of the Egyptian pound had affected prices for visitors. Some people have said that they have doubled, in line with the fact we Brits get twice as much with the new exchange rate. Did you experience that?

I ask because it would help to know how work out how much to bring. Having said that, this is possibly my last trip for a while, due to a health issue, so I'm making this a trip to remember!
I'm not sure I'm going to be able to be much help to you. I did come across some who seemed to think that because the British pound was now twice + what it had been, that we should be paying twice + for whatever they were selling. I appreciate that costs have gone up but not by that much! Needless to say, those that attempted that with me lost a sale. Such 'salesperson' were in the minority though , at least from my experience.

The Ferry still cost 1LE as did the service buses, although I have heard or read that the cost of the busses may increase. Taxis, as I think I have already written, cost LE10 - LE20 for a journey of a distance equal to Sonesta Hotel to Luxor Temple. (Some would demand LE20 but I was told by a friend that I should really only be paying LE10 for that sort of distance.) I always had the money ready to hand and used my discretion as to what I would give within that parameter.

Bottled water cost just under LE3 in the supermarket, and LE3 - LE5 seemed to be the price asked in shops. One exception, the first time I wanted to buy water and he said LE10. Forget it!

I didn't eat out much so can't really comment on the prices, other than to say I thought they were still fair.

If you are going to be self catering, and are used to self catering in Egypt, then you are going to notice a big increase in many prices.

Of course, most of my comments above really relate to Luxor. You say you are going to be travelling round Luxor so where else are you going to go?
Do you have any specific questions? If so I'd be happy to answer them for you if I can.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

Thanks for that Hepzibah. I didn't want to be causing a problem by expecting to pay the same for taxis as I have done in the past if the prices have gone up a lot.

I understand about the dual menus but don't usually have a problem with that but the price of water still seems to be about the same.

I am travelling to Cairo and Aswan as well as Luxor (three separate stays) and getting a boat back from Aswan to Luxor. I'm travelling with two friends, as usual, so we are basicaly going here, there and everywhere!

This could possbly be my last trip for a while, due a health issue, so I'm definitely making the most of it! And, due to what I've read on here, I'm bringing a couple of bags of sugar as gifts too! LOL

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:Thanks for that Hepzibah. I didn't want to be causing a problem by expecting to pay the same for taxis as I have done in the past if the prices have gone up a lot.
I've probably already written on a post somewhere that I have a regular driver, and although I don't use him exclusively I do use him most of the time and especially if I'm going to visit friends in more out of the way places. My problem, if you can call it that, is that he's actually not very good at telling me how much he expects for any particular journey. In previous years this has been fine as I've roughly known the rates for various distances and although I've had to guess sometimes I'm sure we've broken even in the end. This time, on my first journey with him I made him tell me how much he expected, (my threat being that if he didn't tell me I'd not be able to give him any business at all during my stay). We agreed on LE20 for most of my journeys, which I was happy to pay as I would call him to come and pick me up, I also never get any blah, blah from him. He also understands 'English' not 'Egyptian' time. Again, he probably got a bit more than realistic for some of the shorter journeys, but possibly not as much pro rata on some of the longer ones, but no doubt broken even again.
-Aldous Huxley

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

I've been told off on more than one occasion for using the same driver and not spreading my money around so I now just pick what looks to be a decent taxi for an agreed price. However, for special trips I too have a regular driver as I need to have confidence in them where I'm going!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Kaiserbernese wrote:I've been told off on more than one occasion for using the same driver and not spreading my money around so I now just pick what looks to be a decent taxi for an agreed price. However, for special trips I too have a regular driver as I need to have confidence in them where I'm going!
I can understand that, which is partly why I don't use my chap exclusively. However, I have had to learn over the years that I cannot solve everyone's problems. I do what I can, in my own way, to support people, but I will no longer be made to feel guilty (or allow myself to feel guilty without others making me feel it) that I have some money (by fact that I can afford to be there) and someone else hasn't. It's not been an easy lesson to learn.
-Aldous Huxley

Goddess
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Goddess »

*Boom*

Goddess enters the room!!

Passed your hotel yesterday. Still makes me laugh!

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Goddess wrote:*Boom*

Goddess enters the room!!

Passed your hotel yesterday. Still makes me laugh!

Sent from my SM-G532F using Tapatalk

I can laugh about it now too.
You really did so nearly get me camped out in your lobby for those few nights. At least I could be sure I would be sleeping on a clean floor - I saw the caretaker wash it. (Unlike t'other place!)
-Aldous Huxley

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

Nice to see you dropping in Goddess, the Daffodils at Astbury are looking really nice ;)

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Alex reminded me a little of Brighton....seaside shabby...but it is an attractive city (despite the rain!). The sea was crashing over the promenade. I do remember scoffing sweet corn and sweet potato from the roadside vendors.
Of course Brighton is the gay capital of the UK I bet Alex isn't :up

Hepzibah An excellent report. One of the best I've read on this forum. Well done!