Currency and Prices

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: Currency and Prices

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
crewmeal wrote:My 3 nights in the Sonesta plus 2 trips on the Nile with all flights is a tad short of £2K.
Are you really travelling all that way for just 3 nights? (Think I may have misunderstood the actual time you intend to be in Egypt.)
Three nights plus two trips on the Nile sounds to me like two Nile cruises and three nights at Sonesta. I doubt that Crewmeal is paying all that money for a felucca trip at sunset and a motorboat across the river ...
:lol:
:lol:

:) I sort of came to the same conclusion about Nile Cruises rather than a return trip across the Nile on the ferry. Even so, £2K sounds steep to me. Maybe I'm just out of touch.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Flying economy LHR - CAI - LUX - LHR in August (Not sure if Egyptair will run the direct service to LHR or cancel like they did last year). 3 nights in the Sonesta followed by 14 nights back to back cruise on the Esadora. I've priced the same holiday with several UK companies and they all have come up with roughly the same. It makes me wonder whether I should take the flight only and then find a cruise ship when I arrive and then set sail.

A point to note is that All Leisure Cruises went bust last week stranding clients all over. Discover Egypt which was part of the group who quoted me the the same day were bought out by a management group last year seemed not to be involved, however they still haven't answered further questions I have. Moral of the story is pay by credit card just in case!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Why don't you have a word with the reservation's manager when you are on the boat and ask how much the price would be if you booked with them direct next time. You often get a better price as a returning customer.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Good idea carrie. If I had the details I would contact them directly. I know the prices would be a lot cheaper. I did contact the reservations office of the new ship on the block The Blue Shadow, but to date no reply.

If anyone on here knows how to contact the Esadora directly let me know.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Years ago it was quite easy to book a cruise by simply enquiring on the boat, but then as now, you had to make your own arrangement as to getting to sites, problem being Edfu Temple, the rest,.....quite easy.

In recent times I have found it difficult to do this, most want you to book though their Cairo office. In the past I have found that comission charges in Luxor are high. In the past couple of years this could have changed.

Certainly, if you can book your cruise whether locally in Luxor or at their office in Cairo, it will be much cheaper than had you arranged this in the U.K.

Good luck Crewmeal, let us know your findings, if only to help an out of date person. :wi .

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

A question. Is the direct LHR-LXR-LHR flight operating year round or are they cancelling for the summer as per last year?

My agent is finding it difficult to sort out which boats are operating in the summer. No one seems to know anything, I find this incredible that plans haven't been made. I would go as far as suggesting that clients will be put off the cruise market because the choice isn't available. The only boats that are operating are the Sonesta and the Sudan which of course are the high end of the market and out of reach for many.

if anyone is in the travel industry reading this forum and in the know please shed some light.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

crewmeal, have you considered asking Luxor4U Tours or Oceanus (as appears in the section at the top of the page)? As they are there on the ground they may well have more information and able to quote for you.

http://www.luxor4tours.com/index.html
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

I will leave the flight information you require to Bombay, who is far more qualified to answer than myself.

With regards to booking a cruise boat on the Nile through a British tourist agency, I would avoid this at all cost, unless you want to pay a very high price. I am sure you are aware a rather large British independent travel company went bust last week, leaving 14,000 clients high and dry. For sure this may be the first this year, but it will certainly not be the last,........so be careful.

I still think it would be easier to book locally on arrival, even if you book through a local Luxor agency, even though it will be a little more expensive than booking through the Boat company in Cairo.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Hepzibah - I've sent an enquiry - thanks for that. So far many of the boats have their head office in Cairo. I've emailed 2 already and had no reply as yet. Still I've 6 months even if I book the flight before hand.

All I want is to relax on a decent boat (all inclusive) and watch the world go by for 2 weeks. I want to explore Esnu, Edfu and Aswan on my own and in my own time. Hassle by the locals is no problem for me, I can deal with all that. I've had all that when I used to travel to India working for BA many moons ago.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

crewmeal wrote: All I want is to relax on a decent boat (all inclusive) and watch the world go by for 2 weeks. I want to explore Esnu, Edfu and Aswan on my own and in my own time. Hassle by the locals is no problem for me, I can deal with all that. I've had all that when I used to travel to India working for BA many moons ago.
I am not quite sure what you are seeking from your Upper Egyptian cruise. Most are either 3, 5, or 7 days. You are aloud a generous period of time at each site of upto three hours, though there is, where possible very little time to visit the modern towns.

If you are wishing to spend a whole day at each town and perhaps at least two or three days in Asswan, as would be required to see.all sites there, it can be achieved much less expensively, though less relaxed.

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

I would echo what A4 is telling you here, Nile cruises of 7 day duration will go from Luxor to Aswan and return again, or vice versa. These cruises always have a day at either end, so Luxor or Aswan will have more free time. The majority of organised cruises will include the tours to the sites, entrance tickets and the services of a ‘Egyptologist’ guide and of course the transport there and back. Some sites are easily visited on your own such as when the boat is moored in Luxor or Aswan for a longer period of time and visiting the VOK and WB on your own can easily be done, at Aswan a visit to the Nubian Museum, the Coptic Church and unfinished Obelisk are also easily doable due to the length of your stay. Other sites will be determined by the boats itinerary and sailing times are governed by this to fit in with the temple visits, so a limited time at any particular site can be expected regardless of how you decide to visit. Some sites are also difficult to visit due to their location and the organised transport is the best option, other sites such as Denderah are included in several cruise itineraries but not in others, so would entail a separate day cruise (which may now not be available) in order to see them. Having been on many cruises I would advise that you just take the on-board itinerary option as everything is done for you and the cost saving will be minimal, then when you arrive at the site just politely tell your guide that you will be looking around on your own and arrange a time to meet up for the return to the boat, that is what we used to do and it worked out very well.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

My impression is that Crewmeal is well aware of the ins and outs of Nile cruises...having been on a few.....and seems pretty familiar with Luxor scene generally.

Where he's stymied is getting info on which boat is running when......in the summer months.

Good luck with your enquiries Crewmeal. The problem , of course, is that the tourism situation is so unpredictable that there is no certainty with regard to any bookings. Try and stay flexible and make sure you're covered for cancellations etc.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Thanks Newcastle you've hit the nail on the head. The aim of my holiday is to destress and relax on a boat that will take me from Luxor and back twice. I'm aware of their schedules. Most start on a Tuesday, have a night in either Esnu or Edful for temple visitis which I don't want as I've visited them first time round. Most stop over in Aswan for about 3 nights and return back to Luxor.

Some think I'm mad wanting a break like this but the last thing I need is a 'Benidorm' type holiday in Hughada where I'm stuck in a hotel on my own with only a swimming pool to relax. I'm quite happy to explore the places in my own time wherever the boat stops.

As Newcastle says which boat?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Crewmeal since you are staying a few days in Luxor before embarking on your cruise, might it not be a good idea to take a taxi up towards the bridge and call on the boats there, it's easy just to go on board and enquire as to the price and times of sailing.
When I called in on one last week the price didn't include the excursions to any of the sites en route.
Oceanus (formally Petra) are also to be recommended, I have always found them to be reliable with competitive prices and very helpful.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

Just as another possibility, and if one is running, why not take the long cruise between Cairo and Aswan? That way you would see a better choice of scenery, and not be tied to the Monday Luxor flight in both directions, if it is running in the summer.

A brief check suggests that these long cruises probably don't run in June-August, but you might strike lucky.

Kaiserbernese

Post by Kaiserbernese »

crewmeal,

if it's any help, I've booked on the Blue Shadow for mid February through a local agent. I've got two cabins, full board but no trips, all for the cost of one person on the boat web site prices.

I tend to book a cruise when I'm actually in Luxor, usually the week before but on this occasion I wanted this boat, so I used the agent instead.

crewmeal
Top Member
Top Member

Post by crewmeal »

Thanks guys. At this stage not even my agent can guarantee any boast for my August trip. Blue Shadow doesn't seem to be running in August which has to be my holiday month because of my teaching commitments. So for now I will wait to see what's available. Egyptair London say the direct flight will still be running in the summer, mind you they said that last year and look what happened.

My Middle Finger

Post by My Middle Finger »

This makes intersting reading. Lets hope that with the expected fall in sterling against the LE, that prices will fall acordingly, BUT I wont hold my breath.

http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2017/02/13/615354/