The Real Egypt

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

The Real Egypt

Post by BENNU » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:50 pm

At an East Bank resort, I met a couple who had been regular visitors to Luxor, but this was their first trip since the revolution. They of course had lots of advice for me, and it was no use saying that I have lived here for years, they were only interested in hearing their own voices.

"You really should visit West Bank now that you are here. You go there by ferry, but the men who'll approach you in the street, work for the government. It is far better to support the locals." They always used to call a friend who would come all the way from his village to pick them up in his ferry and wait for them. "To simply cross the river costs two euro and to go there and back is three euro, but they will ask you for four, if you do not show them that you know the price." Of course they would give him something extra. They were really surprised that after 6-7 years, the price was still the same as they had always paid, but that just showed them that their friend was an honest man.

"You must experience the village of Ramla. There are many interesting shops and cafes, but to get the right price, you have to let a local friend help you." They could of course introduce me to their contact, but it is very easy to make friends with the real Egyptians, and that is the only way to avoid getting ripped off by the bad guys who work with tourists.

Their only regret was not having bought land and built property while they still could, but the revolution had put an end to that dream, and now they felt that it was too late in their lives to uproot. They had found the perfect piece of Paradise in a West Bank village and had intended to build a villa where they could retire and let the first floor to tourists. They would use the profit to build another villa next door, because it is a well known fact that Americans are willing to pay four times the cost of building a villa, and this would immediately finance the whole adventure. Now they were too old.

"Wait a minute", the man said, "You are still young, why don't you do it?!" It was clear that I would not follow his advice, but at least I should go with their friend and take a look at the place. This way I had a unique chance of seeing - the Real Egypt.

:a60:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: The Real Egypt

Post by carrie » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Bennu I think we have all been there at one time or another. I remember being stuck sitting next to a couple on the plane they had been here before (twice), don't you know, and if I needed any advise I only had to ask. I didn't ask but still got the low down on everything.
All wrong but if I had said anything they would still have thought they were right and I was wrong so why bother.

Ruby Slippers
United Kingdom

Post by Ruby Slippers » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:15 am

Loved reading that, Bennu! How on earth did you keep a straight face and a still tongue, though? :lol:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:16 am

:a8: :a8: :a8:

I hope you managed to look impressed and keep a straight face BENNU.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:43 am

They could always make an offer on MT's luxury villa when the squatters have been evicted.... 8)
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:01 pm

I doubt it Dr. This is the real Egypt don't forget

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:34 pm

Ruby Slippers wrote:How on earth did you keep a straight face and a still tongue, though?
newcastle wrote:
There's a trick to it: Keep your mouth shut while yawning!

:|

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:09 pm

About seven years ago while having a drink in the upstairs of the Gaddis a couple suddenly plonked themselves at our table and immediately started to bestow the virtues of holidaying in Luxor, each slur punctuated with ''so ask away.'' They where both ****** out of their skulls, they drew no breath or allowed any reply. Three nights later while sitting outside of the Grand they staggered around the opening and seeing us, plonked themselves down and started the same barrage of drunken statements, their names were John and Liz. The following week we were having a drink in the Regal bar and in they walked again. At the first mention of , ''ask away'' I shot out ''yes, how long will it take you both to f*** off permanently.'' We didn't wait for a reply, just got up as we had pre-arranged to do if they dropped on us again and left.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle » Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:00 pm

BENNU wrote:
Ruby Slippers wrote:How on earth did you keep a straight face and a still tongue, though?
newcastle wrote:
There's a trick to it: Keep your mouth shut while yawning!

:|
Sounds a bit tricky :lol: