Sob story 1&2 update.

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Sob story 1&2 update.

Post by Dusak »

Well, its been a few weeks now since the new arrivals and I think that I can safely say that my life and most of my home has returned to normal.

Big Bob was never much of a problem, but Alfie, king of all he surveys, took longer to settle towards the interlopers. Now most days they all hunker down together for their afternoon kip on the bed.

The thing that has surprised me more than anything else is when Bob and Alfie are having their food. Both cats in the past have been very protective of their own dishes, Bob only eating his on the floor but now joining Alfie to get out of the food ferating rug rats way and joining Alfie, he preferring the higher ground on top of the breakfast bar and woe be tidy if Bob attempted to approach his dish if he had finished his and was looking for a free of gratis top up. But now, since Derrick and Erica [now Eric for short] have been able to jump up onto the breakfast bar, they both move away when one of the kittens want theirs after finishing their own without any fuss or fight.

Both Eric and Derrick have come on in fits and bounds, both very friendly, love loads of fuss and basically can both be a right pain in the arse at times. Why, when they have a large house and garden to play in, do the three of them insist to play their tag fighting on the settee that I'm sat on attempting to watch the telly? Derrick has learned to play chase and fetch with anything that I throw across the room. Quite entertaining for the first ten minutes or so, but gets a bit tedious after half an hour with no signs of it ending, so I end up hiding the object to give myself and arm a rest. I've had to take the lounge curtains down as their continuous escapades as mountaineers was driving my crazy.

A few nights ago I was watching the TV when Derrick and Eric shot past playing their favorite game, tag football with one of their many toys, or I thought it was a fluffy toy until I realized it was one of my pack of three white crusty bread baps that I had taken out to defrost. I followed the trail of crumbs into the kitchen only to discover Hamsa with his head literally stuck inside of another bap, happily munching away. The third one had been burrowed into while still inside the freezer bag. All things frozen are now put into the oven to defrost which I should of done with the bread since finding one of my defrosting lamp chops half chewed on top of my bed the week before.

All the kittens have a never ending appetite of dried food and tinned mackerel.

Hamsa has turned into a most handsome kitten, a stage that I never thought that he would reach, only expecting him to survive a week at the most. A tennis ball size of matted fur, what little he had, large scabs on his body, an eye infection and what seemed to be a problem with both back legs. Now he displays a full pure white and light cream coat, has trebled in size and is fit as a fiddle as the saying goes. But a kitten he is not, more like a Ninja cricket, Tigger on speed, able to catapult himself into the air from a sitting position onto the backs of any of the other four as they wander past, much to their surprise and annoyance, especially Alfie's.

The only problem that I had with him was with his scratch tray. When he first arrived he was far to small for the one outside and could never find it anyway, so I utilized an unused stainless steel bowl that I had but it was to high for him to get into safely, usually ending with him face first in a previous dump or pee, so I created a staircase to heaven out of old paperback books and over filled it with cat litter to help him out of the crater. While he became accustomed to it, the tray was kept in the hallway, I started to move it closer to the back-door with the intentions of finally placing it outside with the larger one.

That day finally arrived when I was confident that he would use it, but the little bugger started to use the carpet runner that the tray was originally next to. One night, in total darkness on my way to the loo and suddenly the spaces between my toes became all wet and squidgy with a fresh dump that it became evident that the tray had to come back inside. I'm now happy to report that he uses it outside every time he needs to.

Nuisances or not, they do have their uses. Hamsa caught a large lizard the other week that had taken refuge in my lounge, to his small head the size of a crocodile. Quite funny as it turned out as Derrick pulled it from his mouth one of his needle sharp fangs had skewered the lizards tail which left it wriggling about in Hamsa's mouth, so Eric did a snatch and run on the tail. Since I transplanted all my pot plants directly into the ground a couple of years back, they have all grown larger and bushy, especially my Henna bush, now turning into a small tree. I have left all the lower growth on as the cats love to clime and play hide and seek, but I get the benefit of this early morning ritual first cig and cup of tea time by becoming saturated in the strong heady perfume of the flowers and crushed leaves. Although the cost and time of looking after five cats is far greater than the original two, I wouldn't want it any other way.

There is only one surviving kitten from the strays I feed outside every morning, a black and white one. She has become very friendly, greeting the hand that feeds her, but if I want to get out or in my front door it costs me a handful of biscuits every time. The other day I came home to see what looked like a shoelace hanging from the corner of its mouth. I tried to grab it but she backed off. I coxed her towards me with some dry food and managed to take hold of it. It was a boot lace and she had swallowed a good two foot length of it. I doubt very much if she had fully digested it that she would of survived. She is now back to her normal self. She remains outside as there is no more room at the Inn.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Sob story 1&2 update.

Post by newcastle »

You're not the only place that's been taken over by cats.

All Adverts In London’s Underground Station Have Been Replaced With Cat Pictures....well, at Clapham Common anyway.

Fantastic pictures!

http://www.boredpanda.com/cat-ads-under ... ro-london/

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Old softy Dusak. :lol:

Horus
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Horus »

carrie wrote:Old softy Dusak. :lol:
I agree, but think he is great to take on the little kittens into his loving care, definately a soft touch where moggies are concerned ;) , but a soft heart to go with it :a27:
Nice to read your little stories of how you and they are getting on together, keep then coming. :up

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

"Erica [now Eric for short]"

So Erica has had the snip?

Should the thread be renamed "catsrations"?

:snig:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Brian Yare wrote:"Erica [now Eric for short]"

So Erica has had the snip?

Should the thread be renamed "catsrations"?

:snig:
None are ready yet, but she seems to acknowledge the name change against her first given one. Hamsa comes bounding in at his name call, Derrick only if I say ''Derick, fish.''
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.