Visa's

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Re: Visa's

Post by Yildez »

Why didn't you select your own vegetables/fruit? I always do, both at home and in Luxor so if there's a problem it's my own fault.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Major Thom wrote:I have just returned from the local market, took my fruit and veg Out of bags and thrown most of it away or bagged it up for the chickens. I only had to walk for 20 mins how come it did not last the journey, wobbly cucumbers wilted coriander, tomato's almost pulp. Waste of time waste of money. I don't have a problem with foreign food if it's good quality! I don't mind paying for quality either, but 6 years ago quality goods were available for people willing to pay, now they are not.

It is fair to say that I don't live in Luxor so I do not have to deal with shopping for fresh foods there every day - but there is a key in this sentence - fresh foods every day! I know that since many more Egyptian people have refrigeration in their homes they may not have to go to market quite as often, but my observation when there has been 'little and often' (little being dependant on how big the family is.

One of my joys when in Luxor is to visit the Tuesday (and Saturday) souk at Qurna. I buy bits of fruit for myself and will often buy some to take as gifts when I visit local friends. I have visited summer and winter, wondering how the stall holders manage to stay so cool and calm in the heat, and yet the overall quality and freshness of fruits and vegetables never cease to amaze me. It is two years since I was last there but I can't believe standards have changed that much there.

What you consider unfit for consumption I can imagine many families would think was a feast.
Major Thom wrote: People can change or alter my words for their own advantage, that's up to them, but to say Luxor has not changed is a load of utter g------e, sorry but you seem to be in denial.
Where has anyone said that 'Luxor has not changed' ? I don't recall anyone doing that, in fact the opposite. People have agreed that Luxor has changed, they just don't seem to let these changes affect their lives in such a negative way as you do. They seem to manage to go with the flow and/or adapt.

(You'll be pleased to know, I stopped reading the post round about there. I'm not feeling well and have more work to do and just don't have the energy to be bothered.)
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

I really don't want to say this but if this is the truth about your produce it is one of the following: you are flat out lying, you are having delusions, or you are totally inept at choosing good produce.

I don't have time but otherwise I would post a photo of the perfect tomatoes that have been sitting in a bowl on our counter since Sunday.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

At the end of the day a City or in fact a Country is like a household budget, when you have money you can spend and improve, when you have none, you can do nothing. Getting off this subject and back to the original post, I have just remembered when I was talking to my friend in Paphos last night, he was asking me why you need to take your property ownership papers or rental agreements for your visa interview, I said I don't know why? He said both papers are documents between yourself and renter, or yourself and the ownership of property office, and have nothing to do with the police or security. Don't they trust you to say that you rent or have bought? Got no answers to this but he has a point.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

If you are an Egyptian and you want a tourist visa to the US, you need to take rental or ownership papers for your property here, your marriage papers, your children's birth certificates, papers from your employer, your bank statements, all to prove you have a reason to come back to Egypt. Quit complaining about having to do the same to stay here!

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Could be you have to provide all these things to make sure that the landlord or owner is paying the correct tax. When I went for my visa I had no problems with being asked to provide this information.
I am not lying or trying to cover anything up so why should I have?

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I have a Residence Permit, which has to be renewed every year. To get it I have to provide a notorised rental contract, a translated and notorised copy of my State Pension yearly statement, an official copy if my address from the local council, 4 photographs, along with a completed application form downloaded and printed. If I was under 65 I would also have to provide evidence of either state or private health insurance.

This what is required to prove I have a legal address, a legal rent contract, and sufficient funds to support myself. Why would I have any objection to doing this? Turkey, like Egypt, has no social security support for foreigners, and does not allow foreigners to work with a permit that has to be acquired by the employer. To live here you have to prove that you have the means to do so.

And before anyone jumps in and says the UK doesn't require this, in order for my Turkish husband to successfully apply for a Marriage Visa for the UK, the same information and much more was required from both of us.

I think being asked to provide similar proof for an Egyptian visa is perfectly acceptable.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Major Thom wrote:I have just returned from the local market, took my fruit and veg Out of bags and thrown most of it away or bagged it up for the chickens. I only had to walk for 20 mins how come it did not last the journey, wobbly cucumbers wilted coriander, tomato's almost pulp. Waste of time waste of money. I don't have a problem with foreign food if it's good quality! I don't mind paying for quality either, but 6 years ago quality goods were available for people willing to pay, now they are not.

It is fair to say that I don't live in Luxor so I do not have to deal with shopping for fresh foods there every day - but there is a key in this sentence - fresh foods every day! I know that since many more Egyptian people have refrigeration in their homes they may not have to go to market quite as often, but my observation when there has been 'little and often' (little being dependant on how big the family is.

One of my joys when in Luxor is to visit the Tuesday (and Saturday) souk at Qurna. I buy bits of fruit for myself and will often buy some to take as gifts when I visit local friends. I have visited summer and winter, wondering how the stall holders manage to stay so cool and calm in the heat, and yet the overall quality and freshness of fruits and vegetables never cease to amaze me. It is two years since I was last there but I can't believe standards have changed that much there.

What you consider unfit for consumption I can imagine many families would think was a feast.
Major Thom wrote: People can change or alter my words for their own advantage, that's up to them, but to say Luxor has not changed is a load of utter g------e, sorry but you seem to be in denial.
Where has anyone said that 'Luxor has not changed' ? I don't recall anyone doing that, in fact the opposite. People have agreed that Luxor has changed, they just don't seem to let these changes affect their lives in such a negative way as you do. They seem to manage to go with the flow and/or adapt.

(You'll be pleased to know, I stopped reading the post round about there. I'm not feeling well and have more work to do and just don't have the energy to be bothered.)
Gecmis olsun - get well soon! Have sent you a PM.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I had no problems with providing documents but did make me think after our talk why, is there any trust? Anway who knows what goes on in the Black Magic Box, mines a coffee cream please!

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

Talking about fruit and vegetables, yesterday I wandered over to the local plumbers shop for some pipes. As I chose what I needed I asked my friend to get me two kilo of spuds. I was finished so went next door to see what the hold up was. As usual she was talking her life away to the woman that was serving. Now, its the middle of March so not that many flies about, but the produce that was displayed outside were absolutely covered in what seemed to be thousands of the critters. Nothing, including the spuds was fit for my consumption, so I told her that I was crossing the road to use another fruit and vegetables shop with more healthy looking produce. In Karnak there are many such shops, but this display must surly have been the worst. She can't be making much money as the prices on the goods were the average for the rest of the shops so I can not see the locals wanting to by such disgusting produce.

When going for my interview I took copies of all my documents, which I told them to keep hold of as an addition to my file. Later I wondered if this was a wise thing to do, I now sit waiting for a knock at the door to say someone else owns my home. :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

You never know here "D" things are in such a mess, we have friends who bought a place 3 years ago and have still not received their papers of ownership yet! 3 years!!! whats all that about??? 13 weeks is the norm in the UK. You could apply for ownership and have died before your get your papers! Mind you you can also give the Registration Office a lump sum and get your papers over the counter.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Are you pitching for the role of Victor Meldrew in Egypt or what?

From the occasional snippets you've given on your financial situation I'd say you fall in the top 5% of people living in Egypt. The recent devaluation of EGP will have further improved your position.

Give it a rest :stp

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

newcastle wrote: The recent devaluation of EGP will have further improved your position.

Give it a rest :stp
I know you and I Newcastle do our best to cheer up the ex-pats, but that devaluation will very soon add around 14% to inflation itself, add to that urban inflation of 12%, then there is that new V.A.T., at a rate of 10%, all that, plus any other bad news further down the road.

Some people think it's bad in Brazil.

P.S. - However, if you own a property, then it's good news. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Everyone has to live with inflation, extra taxes etc. Having assets in, and income from, UK gives you a distinct advantage over those on a purely EGP income.

The Brits who are suffering are those who live in UK and rent out their Egyptian property at a rent fixed in EGP. Their income has just gone down by 13%.

And as for the value of their investment. ..... :(

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Victor Meldrew, good one Newcastle but I think he just says these things to wind everyone up.
Or perhaps he's been refused a visa and feeling a little miffed. :?:

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:Victor Meldrew, good one Newcastle but I think he just says these things to wind everyone up.
Or perhaps he's been refused a visa and feeling a little miffed. :?:
Possibly.

Of course it's not unknown for people to spout utter crap , day in , day out, just to get a reaction... or to get others to talk about them.

Better than not being talked about, as Oscar Wilde quipped....although I'm not sure I entirely agree.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Actually, probably 1%, because it doesn't take much to get to the 1%.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
Some people think it's bad in Brazil.

Thank goodness we don't have to worry about investigations into corruption, or impeachments, here ;))