Visa's

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Re: Visa's

Post by Dusak »

carrie wrote:Have you ever eaten snails, offered them once in France but didn't fancy them. Good luck with your endeavor D, I am thinking of growing mushrooms in the tombs.
No, I couldn't do that, it would be like feasting on your own kids. Interesting though that you should mention growing mushrooms in the tombs, especially as they are deserted nowadays, so no careless foot traffic. Spores abound inside these now deserted relics, so there must be a way of introducing the right moisture content and control the humidity. My snails could assist in this venture, although at the mo I haven't got a clue as to how, but I'm sure that I could make something up to make it sound as if I knew what I was talking about, others seem to be quite successful, even producing books on the subject.

Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

So if you're not going to eat the snails you're farming, Dusak - and I do understand that you can get emotionally attached to the little blighters - what are you intending to do with them?

Are we to see snail-racing any time soon in Karnak.?

Or maybe a Luxor equivalent of Crufts to exhibit your prize specimens?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

What a good idea, snail racing world championship, Miss Snail beauty contests, slimiest snail, that will bring the tourists flooding back. When you starting D?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

carrie wrote:What a good idea, snail racing world championship, Miss Snail beauty contests, slimiest snail, that will bring the tourists flooding back. When you starting D?
Soon......but you can't rush snails (boom boom! )

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

carrie wrote:Have you ever eaten snails, offered them once in France but didn't fancy them.
i've eaten them in France, many years ago. They would not be my choice but we were trying them and frogs legs at the time which altogether a better menu choice in my opinion. For snails, the best that I have tried were from the street stalls in Morocco. There they smell snails in a peppery tasting broth. The snails are very small and more palettable. Cheap, nourishing, and well worth trying.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

You cannot have racing snails in Egypt they would break the speed limit and beat the judges to the finishing line.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dusak wrote:
carrie wrote:Have you ever eaten snails, offered them once in France but didn't fancy them.
No, I couldn't do that, it would be like feasting on your own kids.
This has to be the strangest, most shocking comment I have ever seen in this forum.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:
This has to be the strangest, most shocking comment I have ever seen in this forum.
A baby found abandoned in the trash in Luxor.....now that was "shocking".

Dusak's jokey quip doesn't even register on the offence scale.

You just don't 'get' English humour , do you?

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I was considering drying them and decorating the front of my home. My theory is that not only would they look nice once varnished, but it could prevent those tiny spiders from festooning the cement render. Also I may be able to market them abroad as a new innovative form of pebble dashing. The possibilities are endless, but I'm going to take it at a slow pace.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:I was considering drying them and decorating the front of my home. My theory is that not only would they look nice once varnished, but it could prevent those tiny spiders from festooning the cement render. Also I may be able to market them abroad as a new innovative form of pebble dashing. The possibilities are endless, but I'm going to take it at a slow pace.
You are talking about your snails. ..not your children, I trust :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I think he means both. :lol:

Angela

Post by Angela »

I heard this week of someone in Luxor who was given the 'to leave' stamp due to working on a tourist visa but it was historical. I.e 2 years ago that she was employed. Weird that nothing was done about it at the time and secondly there must be lots of people in Luxor that have worked illegally here over the last few years.

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian »

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:
Of course the 'kids' could be goats.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Angela-The latest warden message from the US embassy concerned visas and warned people they should make sure to have a visa that matches the purpose of their stay here as they said a number of people have been deported because it didn't.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

If these illegal workers are the main reason that us 'law abiding visa holders' are being made to suffer, then they ALL should be unceremoniously shown the door. I've decided to cancel my snail farming idea as I'm not willing to shell out the work permit costs. I'm now working on a possible new source of light for those without electricity, moon beam power.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

With your experience of snails under your belt wouldn't breeding glow worms be more up your street?

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Angela wrote:I heard this week of someone in Luxor who was given the 'to leave' stamp due to working on a tourist visa but it was historical. I.e 2 years ago that she was employed. Weird that nothing was done about it at the time and secondly there must be lots of people in Luxor that have worked illegally here over the last few years.
have / are

Angela

Post by Angela »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Angela-The latest warden message from the US embassy concerned visas and warned people they should make sure to have a visa that matches the purpose of their stay here as they said a number of people have been deported because it didn't.
Personally I think it's right. I'm now an Egyptian Citizen but never worked illegally before I was. I've always felt quite strongly against people that have worked in Hotels, doing jobs that Egyptians can do without visas. In Hurghada it's quite frankly shocking. Whole animation teams made up of Russians and Brits etc. Why? It's not exactly brain surgery is it? Requiring special skills.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

newcastle wrote:With your experience of snails under your belt wouldn't breeding glow worms be more up your street?
Interesting point newcastle as they wouldn't get lost in the dark. :up I was also considering a worm farm, good return as you can easily double or triple your output by the simple use of a Stanly knife but I wasn't all that good with division at school. :(

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Dusak wrote:If these illegal workers are the main reason that us 'law abiding visa holders' are being made to suffer, then they ALL should be unceremoniously shown the door.
You may be "law abiding" but indefinite tourist stays are completely illogical and should be stopped too.