Visa's

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Visa's

Post by carrie »

I have decided to take Glyph up on her challenge to post about something that hasn't been posted on before so after due consideration I thought I would write about visa's. The way things go in the posts it very soon goes off topic so some interesting replies are expected.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Visa's

Post by carrie »

Listening to Brain of Britain today and after many years I actually managed to get 5 in a row.
Admittedly one of the questions was about Egypt.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

Can't remember speaking to you today Carrie! :lol: Can be tough to get one correct so well done getting 5.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

I'm glad you raised this topic carrie as I too am considering further education. I would like to get into snail farming, but lack the courage to talk openly about it. Any hints would be appreciated, but go slowly as I find my concentration wains after the first six words.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Dusak wrote:I'm glad you raised this topic carrie as I too am considering further education. I would like to get into snail farming, but lack the courage to talk openly about it. Any hints would be appreciated, but go slowly as I find my concentration wains after the first six words.
Dear Dusak

Many budding escargologists are reticent (understandably) about declaring their interests in cultivating edible molluscs.....but you've come to the right place.

I expect the odd slimy member will pop out of their shell to give you such hints as are appropriate, or lay a glistening trail of clues for you to follow.( Cue A-Four)

If you post your address I will forward further information by post...or as we ecargologists say.....snail mail ( my little joke ho! ho!)

Yours

Ivor Slugcatcher (Dip. S . Tick)

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Luxor's a fishbowl where:
1. Every expat is convinced that no foreigner can get anything but a tourist visa
2. Every foreign wife feels the need to declare to all and sundry that her husband isn't a gigolo
3. Every British expat thinks that all tourists that might want to fly to Luxor will come from the UK

Get out of the fishbowl and into the ocean and you will see there are foreigners who have other visas, foreign women who marry Egyptians who have the confidence and respect to let their husband's character speak for itself, and dozens of other countries with people interested in Egypt that could probably fill direct flights.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Luxor's a fishbowl where:
1. Every expat is convinced that no foreigner can get anything but a tourist visa
2. Every foreign wife feels the need to declare to all and sundry that her husband isn't a gigolo
3. Every British expat thinks that all tourists that might want to fly to Luxor will come from the UK

Get out of the fishbowl and into the ocean and you will see there are foreigners who have other visas, foreign women who marry Egyptians who have the confidence and respect to let their husband's character speak for itself, and dozens of other countries with people interested in Egypt that could probably fill direct flights.
some of what you say may be true but when Luxor used to receive nearly 20 flights a week from the UK 11 on a Monday alone and not the tiny jets like today it's pretty obvious where the biggest market share came from.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Glyphdoctor wrote:Luxor's a fishbowl where:

"Every"? Based on what evidence? Posts on L4U? Hardly representative of the fishbowl.

And doesn't the following paragraph directly contradict your assertions? With the exception of the very few who've taken Egyptian citizenship, the terms expat and foreigner are synonymous.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Bombay wrote:
some of what you say may be true but when Luxor used to receive nearly 20 flights a week from the UK 11 on a Monday alone and not the tiny jets like today it's pretty obvious where the biggest market share came from.
But it doesn't mean other markets could not be successful in the future if the effort was put in to attracting them. Markets where the potential tourists have more to spend/are more numerous. You only need to read the comments on any Daily Mail article about Egypt to see the devastating damage that has been done to Egypt's image in the UK and understand that it is not going to be easy to get them back any time soon. The Chinese, on the other hand, have a state controlled media that mentions virtually nothing about what is going on here. That's why that market is doing well you know.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Newcastle, I don't get your point, but let's just get further out of the fishbowl and imagine a woman in the UK or any other country married to someone from her own country, and she introduces her relationship with her husband with something like this, "Don't marry a drug addict. Take samples of his hair from his hairbrush and have them tested in a lab. Then you will know if he is clean. That's what I did. Learn from me." Or "Don't marry a cheater. I put a GPS device on my husband's car and ask him where he has been and it always is correct. That way I know he isn't seeing a mistress. You shouldn't let your husband stray." Wouldn't you just find that all a bit unseemly and creepy and feel embarrassed for the husband? People lose sight of what is normal and it is not normal to make an MMD declaration. Even if he is, just like it is not normal to announce one's husband is not a drug addict or a philanderer.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I agree that what you say above is perhaps typical of the many women's groups that exist to chew endlessly over their experiences with foreign husbands, and, no, it's not normal. But to categorise every foreign female expat as behaving in this way is clearly excessive.

And it doesn't seem surprising , or suspicious, that in a discussion on the MMD topic a happily married woman would chip in with the comment that what was being portrayed as typical, was not.

I don't have the statistics but I'd guess there are many foreign women living in Luxor, single or happily married, who have no interest in the MMD topic, and just get on with their lives.

Until recently, the issue of resident visa as opposed to renewable tourist visa was irrelevant. As you know, getting the former is more complex. The previous 'system' was simple. I guess the expats,married or otherwise, are now mugging up on the resident visa requirements!

As Bombay said, there has , historically, been a strong connection between Brits and Luxor and there must be quite a few who've settled here. Constant harping by some of them about the absence of flights just illustrates their tunnel vision. If large numbers of tourists are to return to Luxor, it's far more likely that they'll come from the Far East snd China.....or maybe even the gulf.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I agree that what you say above is perhaps typical of the many women's groups that exist to chew endlessly over their experiences with foreign husbands, and, no, it's not normal. But to categorise every foreign female expat as behaving in this way is clearly excessive.

And it doesn't seem surprising , or suspicious, that in a discussion on the MMD topic a happily married woman would chip in with the comment that what was being portrayed as typical, was not.

I don't have the statistics but I'd guess there are many foreign women living in Luxor, single or happily married, who have no interest in the MMD topic, and just get on with their lives.

Until recently, the issue of resident visa as opposed to renewable tourist visa was irrelevant. As you know, getting the former is more complex. The previous 'system' was simple. I guess the expats,married or otherwise, are now mugging up on the resident visa requirements!

As Bombay said, there has , historically, been a strong connection between Brits and Luxor and there must be quite a few who've settled here. Constant harping by some of them about the absence of flights just illustrates their tunnel vision. If large numbers of tourists are to return to Luxor, it's far more likely that they'll come from the Far East snd China.....or maybe even the gulf.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor »

Of course it is not ALL, and I would never argue you on that as it would be foolish, but I took some poetic license for the purpose of making a point. I think that should be obvious. No need to belabor counting how many of this or that.

As for what is typical or not, each person's situation is different and we can't see it all to know what really goes on behind closed doors, I don't care if 99% of women are being fooled or 1%, the only thing that counts is our own life and our own relationships. Whether others have a successful fooling-free life or not is completely and utterly irrelevant to one's own success or failure in marriage. And it is perfectly possible for a foreigner and an Egyptian to have their relationship end and the man never deceived the woman. They may not be compatible for other reasons. So there's no foolproof one size fits all formula really in these matters. It's about the chemistry between two unique individuals.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

Our views seem to have reached some convergence.

End of :lol:

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

Have you ever eaten snails, offered them once in France but didn't fancy them. Good luck with your endeavor D, I am thinking of growing mushrooms in the tombs.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

The problem of having a gagged media is that the truth and image of a place is never known, so when tourists do come they may well hav a different image to what a place portrays, and may well be disappointed. When they get back their own opinion will just circulate the internet so it will only be a tourist flash in the pan.

It may be that due to the length of time it's taking to report on the Russian plane crash, that is doing no good either, carriers want to know the reason for the crash and what's being done to prevent another crash before they take passengers back to Egypt again. So a none free media can do a lot of damage.

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom »

I think it should be easy to get information on mushroom growing here, most people know what mushrooms are

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

Major Thom wrote:

It may be that due to the length of time it's taking to report on the Russian plane crash, that is doing no good either, carriers want to know the reason for the crash and what's being done to prevent another crash before they take passengers back to Egypt again. So a none free media can do a lot of damage.
Please MT, remember you live in Egypt.

With regards to the international investigation team in Cairo, I would have thought that by now a hack sent out from the 'street of shame' would have bought the Irish member a few Guiness's in the old Irish bar in Zamalek by now,.............but then again, that has probably already happened. :wi .

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

A-Four wrote:
Major Thom wrote:

Please MT, remember you live in Egypt.

Remembering his own name, let alone where he lives, is a tall order for MT nowadays.

With regards to the international investigation team in Cairo, I would have thought that by now a hack sent out from the 'street of shame' would have bought the Irish member a few Guiness's in the old Irish bar in Zamalek by now,.............but then again, that has probably already happened. :wi .

Nobody cares if, or when, the international investigation team reports. The damage has been done as far as tourism is concerned. If, by some miracle, they can prove that is was, say, mechanical failure..... so what? At least airport security will have had a long overdue upgrade.

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 »

When I first arrived in Egypt one couldn't buy mushrooms, so being the clever little 'know it all, I thought of using defunct tombs for cultivation of mushrooms.
I purchased a bag of spores filled up a channel full of sheep & buffalo sh*t and waited, nothing, niente, nada.
Although a couple did pop up under a pot, speaking to her who knows all about gardening MD,
said "it's to hot here and not humid enough for them to grow.
But now, one can purchase 'shrooms here but not Psilocybin shrooms, a favourite with a few slices of bacon.... :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.