The Dreaded V Word!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: The Dreaded V Word!

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:50 am

Bombay answered the question succinctly with the first answer. I think the rest of the conversation went off on the "dreaded" tangent.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:02 am

There is certainly nothing difficult about travelling to luxor via Cairo either. You get off the plane, the bus drops you at the door. You follow the signs for domestic, up the escalators, buy a visa, go through a little room where its stamped and then wander down to gate F32 usually (occasionally F31). Having travelled round the world changing at various airports, Cairo is a breeze. (The sponsored marathon around Emirates requires a level of fitness I just don't have :lol: )

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:31 pm

I believe in hearing it from the horses mouth, there is not one person in authority who is able to explain what why or where. if they did there would not be so much confusion. The Luxor Passport office only know of tourist visa's beyond that, the other 30 odd mentioned in other posts they are oblivious to.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:49 pm

Major Thom wrote:I believe in hearing it from the horses mouth, there is not one person in authority who is able to explain what why or where. if they did there would not be so much confusion. The Luxor Passport office only know of tourist visa's beyond that, the other 30 odd mentioned in other posts they are oblivious to.
But what is there to hear 'from the horses mouth'?
The original question which WingedIsis posed and then elaborated on was 'Can you get visa's at Luxor airport, or only Cairo?' The answer to that has been given, and again elaborated on but not changed in the essence. Unless a tourist has made advance provision by applying to their local Egyptian Consulate for a visa they are going to get a tourist visa on arrival - i.e at which ever air or sea port they initially enter Egypt.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:10 pm

I believe in hearing it from the horses mouth, there is not one person in authority who is able to explain what why or where. if they did there would not be so much confusion. The Luxor Passport office only know of tourist visa's beyond that, the other 30 odd mentioned in other posts they are oblivious to.
Land in Cairo, get OFF the plane, go to the BANK OFFICE where there is a man standing behind a barred window. Hand him $15 and he'll give you a visa good for 90 or 3 months.

Nothing mysterious. Nothing complex.

YOU are making a MOUNTAIN out of a MOLE HILL. Getting a tourist visa is the essence of simplicity. Straightforward, simple, easy peasy.

YOU and YOURS area unable to do what THOUSANDS of TOURISTS do? Cause if you can't best you stay home.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:21 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:
Land in Cairo, get OFF the plane, go to the BANK OFFICE where there is a man standing behind a barred window. Hand him $15 and he'll give you a visa good for 90 or 3 months.

Nothing mysterious. Nothing complex.

YOU are making a MOUNTAIN out of a MOLE HILL. Getting a tourist visa is the essence of simplicity. Straightforward, simple, easy peasy.

YOU and YOURS area unable to do what THOUSANDS of TOURISTS do? Cause if you can't best you stay home.
Not $15. US$25. You are well out of date! Other currencies are accepted, but will be converted to $US. Any change should be returned in LE. And the visa he issues is only valid for 30 days.

Stop trying to confuse the tourists!

Kim

Post by Kim » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:25 pm

Unless you are travelling with B.A. then you land at terminal 1 in cairo stand in a queue for your visa then stand in another queue for 1 hour to get the visa stamped then collect your luggage, even though B.A. confirmed it would go straight through to luxor, then struggle to the bus terminal to get the shuttle bus to terminal 3, and then go through the whole process again on the return journey and sit in cairo airport for 10 hours because egyptair have changed your flight :xx

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Thu Dec 10, 2015 7:54 pm

Bummer! :evil: The joys of air travel.
Carpe diem! :le:

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:00 pm

LovelyLadyLux wrote:Dusak said a few months back that his Visa was up for renewal in December at some point (I don't remember when he said exactly) so he might post in a bit with a complete update re: Visas, what to do, what not to do and how to get one
I'm going this Saturday. What will happen is anyone's guess. The friends that I have spoken to all tell of different experiences. Some been here for three years without leaving, have to vacate for 48 hours. Some, like myself that haven't left for several years, get the visa no problem. What will happen will happen. If its the 48 hours for me, no big deal, an inconvenience, but life will go on.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 pm

Good luck Dusak.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:22 pm

Dusak wrote:Thanks for that. I have a friend that is worried that they may have to go to the UK for a week if cherry picked for a 48 hour exit. I mentioned to my friend that I had heard that this was a cheap option for the 48 hour period but knew nothing of the costs.
I don't know why you bothered with this pretense when it was obvious to everyone you were talking about yourself.
Dusak wrote:I'm going this Saturday. What will happen is anyone's guess. The friends that I have spoken to all tell of different experiences. Some been here for three years without leaving, have to vacate for 48 hours. Some, like myself that haven't left for several years, get the visa no problem. What will happen will happen. If its the 48 hours for me, no big deal, an inconvenience, but life will go on.
Because the ones that have gotten the visa have nothing to hide. Which begs the question, what exactly do you fear about being investigated by the police that you are preemptively leaving to avoid it?

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:29 pm

I'm talking generally but since Dusak is coming up to having his visa renewed - Are the Expats who are coming up for Visa renewal making contingency plans about their homes in Luxor just in case they have to leave? Meaning if you leave and can't get back in what happens to the home front and does this seem to be enough of a worry to worry about?

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:35 pm

Well I have my visa but before I got it I was very worried, not because of material things, I rent my flat but have furnished it myself. My landlord could have had all my things and anyone else who was here could have taken what they liked.
I love living here though and the thought of having to leave was extremely daunting. I am lucky enough to have a house in the UK which I could have moved into immediately, I have family there, but just the thought of moving back fills me with horror.
Everyday here I learn something new, I see something I have never seen before.
I went over the other side today and coming back on the ferry I looked at the mountains and they were the most incredible blue colour, people may complain about this place and I am the first to admit it is not perfect but Egypt is where my heart is and it certainly would be broken if I had to leave.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:03 am

Yes, but there is a big difference between being afraid you might have to leave vs. being afraid of the police investigation itself. From what I have read, which of course is of unknown quality, people are leaving for a day or two to avoid the investigation because you don't have the investigation unless you stay more than 6 months. If you have a reason to leave, go home to visit family for a few weeks, that doesn't really look fishy, but a weekend in Istanbul at the nearest hotel to the airport of all places looks highly suspicious.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:47 am

I'd think having to face an investigation, any investigation or the possibility of an investigation would put anybody into a state of high anxiety and am sure would make anybody reflect back and start to think of any infractions or omissions or anything that might cause them to be considered "guilty" by those investigating particularly when your entire life & lifestyle hangs in the balance. Must really weigh on the mind (which is really unfortunate) which is why I was wondering how Expats are preparing. Doesn't sound like there are even appeal systems - seems it is either a yes or a nothing and the nothing can come with really significant repercussions.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:56 am

Glyphdoctor wrote:
Dusak wrote:Thanks for that. I have a friend that is worried that they may have to go to the UK for a week if cherry picked for a 48 hour exit. I mentioned to my friend that I had heard that this was a cheap option for the 48 hour period but knew nothing of the costs.
I don't know why you bothered with this pretense when it was obvious to everyone you were talking about yourself.
Dusak wrote:I'm going this Saturday. What will happen is anyone's guess. The friends that I have spoken to all tell of different experiences. Some been here for three years without leaving, have to vacate for 48 hours. Some, like myself that haven't left for several years, get the visa no problem. What will happen will happen. If its the 48 hours for me, no big deal, an inconvenience, but life will go on.
Because the ones that have gotten the visa have nothing to hide. Which begs the question, what exactly do you fear about being investigated by the police that you are preemptively leaving to avoid it?
As is usual concerning my posts, you attempt to unearth a hidden agenda. I do have a social circle and we do talk about a myriad of topics when we meet, the visa being one of them. In regards to your first comment if it was I that I was referring too I would of logged onto the FB page recommended by another member posthaste, but haven't and do not intend doing so, but did pass on the information to the friend that was concerned. End of.

In regards to your second comments, I have never knowingly broken any law in both the UK or here in Egypt. I have absolutely nothing to hide nor worry about concerning my life or activities while living here. But by the looks of things they choose who does or does not which is a thing totally out of anyone's control. I would be most surprised if I was asked to go for the 48 hours, but intelligent enough not to waste my time asking for an explanation as to why. I did invite you some moths ago to search the internet for any information concerning myself when you then indicated that I was attempting to hide the true facts. At times you come over as a very nasty minded and vindictive type of person, unfortunately one we have to put up with but rest assured that it bothers me not.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:14 am

I have no interest in searching the internet for information about you and since I don't even read all your posts I never saw the one you mentioned, but it is disingenuous to even mention the internet or even the need to do any searching at all to find out about you. Either you are totally clueless or you like to pretend you are.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:21 pm

Well, if you do not bother to read most of my posts, how come you quoted the only two I posted on this particular topic? You were certainly interested enough to search for the one concerning MT. Or doesn't that one count?

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:01 pm

MT explained to me privately why he was upset and we have made amends about the whole thing, and I think if you have any respect for him, you should not dredge it up again.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 pm

I'd still think the potential cloud hanging over your head of are you going to have to leave, can you stay, is there an investigation or not yada yada yada has definitely got to be very worrisome and definitely putting a stress on the apple cart for many.

I'd even hazard that just the "not knowing" what the future might bring would be cause for many Expats to just pre-emptively make decisions in their own best interests.

To visa or not to visa that is the question