The Dreaded V Word!

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

newcastle
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egypt

Re: The Dreaded V Word!

Post by newcastle » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm

Yildez wrote:
newcastle wrote:Remember you need an e-visa for Turkey. Apply online & print off before travelling. .
An E-Visa is best but it's still possible to buy a Visa on arrival from self service kiosks, more expensive though.
I've heard they're not always functioning. If the system is down they're not sympathetic . Incredible I know but apparently people have been refused entry when this happened.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:43 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
Winged Isis wrote:
Brian Yare wrote: One arrives in Domestic Arrivals and passes through a door at the far left corner into the International Baggage area.
Not in my experience Brian, see my previous comment. Or do you mean you have to do this to get the visa?
If one has checked ones baggage through to Luxor but transferred to Domestic at Cairo, this is the procedure. Checked-through baggage arrives on the International Baggage carousels as one has to then pass through customs.
Okay, maybe I haven't been clear enough or fully understood? I check my baggage through to Cairo from Sydney, collect it there, get my visa at a little bank and transfer to Egypt Air domestic, having gone through C & I. On arrival in Luxor, as stated perviously, I get off, onto a bus across to baggage, in one door, get baggage, exit other door to freedom, no contact with officialdom at all. I've never noticed anyone going to the left (offices) except to get trolleys, never noticed queues. So it seems a different place to me.

Any of the 16 other Aussies usually reading, it would be nice to finally hear from you for once, did you have a different experience? Any flown direct to Luxor? Where did you get your visa, in Australia?
Carpe diem! :le:

SoukLady

Post by SoukLady » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:35 pm

In the past I have had a 12month visa & obtained my re-entry before leaving Luxor. When travelling Perth/Luxor I have gone through immigration in Cairo & had my baggage checked all the way through direct to Luxor where it is picked up through the left side door of the domestic hall into the international hall and then customs check the baggage. Luggage can only be checked all the way through if Star Alliance airlines.

It seems to me that all your international requirements are being done in Cairo and you only need to pick up your luggage in Luxor as you are only a domestic traveller. Hence the domestic arrival hall and no immigration

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:40 am

Billy_whiz wrote:@Dusak - you may be interested in a FB group called International Visa Group where this topic has been discussed, with recommendations on accommodation etc near to the airport. From what I remember, I think there are direct flights from Hurghada for about 1000 LE return, not sure about Luxor though
Thanks for that. I have a friend that is worried that they may have to go to the UK for a week if cherry picked for a 48 hour exit. I mentioned to my friend that I had heard that this was a cheap option for the 48 hour period but knew nothing of the costs.
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:41 am

SoukLady wrote:In the past I have had a 12month visa & obtained my re-entry before leaving Luxor. When travelling Perth/Luxor I have gone through immigration in Cairo & had my baggage checked all the way through direct to Luxor where it is picked up through the left side door of the domestic hall into the international hall and then customs check the baggage. Luggage can only be checked all the way through if Star Alliance airlines.

It seems to me that all your international requirements are being done in Cairo and you only need to pick up your luggage in Luxor as you are only a domestic traveller. Hence the domestic arrival hall and no immigration
Thanks for answering SoukLady! Nice to finally hear from another Aussie.

I mainly fly Singapore Air and Egypt Air is indeed part of Star Alliance. Yes, all is done in Cairo.

What I'm trying to ascertain is regarding the getting (or not) of visas at Luxor airport as it is now possible to fly from Sydney with Qatar Air directly into Luxor without going via Melbourne as previously. This old route, which I never attempted, took about 37 hours, sometimes with a one night stopover added on! :? Qatar Air will cut off about 3 hours, with only one transit in Doha.

So I am still wondering if any Aussies have arrived this way and whether they had to get their visa in Oz first?

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:16 am

Now I've got my brain inserted correctly (am a bit under the weather ATM and fogy-headed) and have re-read above posts, I'm getting that I'll be entering by a different building.

I'd still like to hear from any Aussies and their way there compared to mine. Anyone flown Qatar Air? They seem to rate well.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:19 pm

Winged Isis wrote: After my marathon journey I'm just focused on getting my suitcase and getting out the door to my husband. :lol:
Three words WI.
Knickers on fire!

Have some dignity dear!
And I'll add that both you and Hepzibah can discuss this til the cows come home!

The visa subject has been discussed over and over again.It's boring now!

And,for all your(both of you)tittle-tattling,sarky comments regarding other posters etc,MT,myself,Dusak,A-Four,etc....you're just a pair of sniggering schoolgirls!

All your talk about modest dress,offering respect to Egyptians,etc..is a myth garnered in your own minds!
WI can't wait to get off a plane to "get to"her Egyptian hubby!

Hepzibah agrees with her on every subject.

What does that tell us?
It tell's us that they are not "innocent!"

Also tell's us that they should really not criticise anyone else's posts or views.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:25 pm

Mmmmm, it's Saturday night again :urm: :urm: :urm:

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Dec 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Yildez wrote:Mmmmm, it's Saturday night again :urm: :urm: :urm:
Meaning?

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Sun Dec 06, 2015 4:27 am

Why stop in Cairo, fly to Hong Kong from Sydney, then to Doha with Singapore Air, and take the direct flight to Luxor with Qatar, areasy really and Qatar are good. I still prefer Emirates Air, but they fly into Cairo.

The worse flight I had to Oz was with Qantas, old plane, no room poorly pressurized and ignorant staff. That was a 7 hour flight from Singapore to Melbourne. Even Tiger Air was better than them.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:32 am

Incidently, there is also a new flight from Qatar to Sharm.

SoukLady

Post by SoukLady » Mon Dec 07, 2015 9:40 pm

I have spoken to a lady who recently flew Qatar Airways Sydney/Luxor via Doha. Her visa was obtained upon arrival in Luxor. Hope this helps.

Winged Isis
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Winged Isis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:57 am

Nice to hear from you again. Thanks so much, I will pass that on to my friends. :wi

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:09 pm

Brian Yare wrote:
BENNU wrote:
Brian Yare wrote: One arrives in Domestic Arrivals and passes through a door at the far left corner into the International Baggage area.

If one has checked ones baggage through to Luxor but transferred to Domestic at Cairo, this is the procedure. Checked-through baggage arrives on the International Baggage carousels as one has to then pass through customs.
:tk Were you not the one to tell us that this was no longer an option? I have tried to find the post.

My friend arrives via Cairo and I have told her that this time, she may have to get her luggage there and check in at domestics. Of course she will see for herself, but it us good to be prepared.
:tk That is what I had heard and I have since not had any more information either way.

So I just checked on the Egyptair site and read:

"Through Check in

Baggage through Check in is not allowed from international overseas stations to Cairo via domestic Stations in Egypt and Vice Versa "

http://www.egyptair.com/en/fly/baggage/ ... wance.aspx :(
It is still allowed.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:38 pm

I suspect that there may be an element of pot luck here. The EgyptAir site that I quoted is quite clear. If one is fortunate it appears that one might get ones baggage checked straight through, but I would not rely on it.

Chris
Egypt

Post by Chris » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:10 am

I frequently (every month) fly into Luxor from Doha on Qatarairways. Arrivals are always at the International Arrivals at Luxor airport and so you can get your visa at the kiosks at International Arrivals

Major Thom
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Major Thom » Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:15 am

All the visa system is an u known quantity at the moment, no one has been able to answer the question. "Do people that spend most of their time here have to go through a security check every time they renew their visa"?

I tried to explain the visa system here to my family the other day saying That I think in the new year you will be able to get an e visa, and the complicated way and checks we now have to go through, even though we are retired and not working. They said " it's easier for you to come here (the UK) than for us to come and see you. Because they can only come towards the end of a week they also pointed out they would have to have a stop in Cairo, or fly to a Red Sea resort, they were asking the cost of a taxi. To Luxor. Alas, they are going to Goa instead, the travelling time is approx the same.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:17 am

Dusak said a few months back that his Visa was up for renewal in December at some point (I don't remember when he said exactly) so he might post in a bit with a complete update re: Visas, what to do, what not to do and how to get one

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:53 am

MT-What is so hard about walking up to a bank window upon arrival, handing over some cash, and getting a visa stamp? If your family thinks it is hard, then it is because you have misled them.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:39 am

There is certainly nothing complicated about getting to Luxor and obtaining a tourist visa for British passport holder travelling from the UK. However, that has little or nothing to do with the original question as far as I can tell. If I were reading this thread as a newbie traveller looking for visa advice I would be confused by now and have to start a whole new thread specific to my own requirements.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley