Anyone flown Turkish airlines from the UK to Hurghada?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Anyone flown Turkish airlines from the UK to Hurghada?

Post by pinkmagic »

Looking at booking our annual trip to Egypt. I am considering the Egyptair direct flight but have noticed that Turkish airlines have reasonable fares from Birmingham to Hurghada which for us is very convenient. Obviously you have to change in Istanbul but the connections are good and as it is a daily flight it means we would be able to travel at the weekends, so it would avoid taking the children out of school.

Has anyone ever flown with Turkish airlines on this route and how did you find it?

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Anyone flown Turkish airlines from the UK to Hurghada?

Post by newcastle »

It's a popular route from several UK and European airports.

The flights arrive in the early hours of the morning.

I know of several people who arrived.....but their luggage didn't. In one case they had to wait a week for it to arrive!

I did it once....with only hand luggage...and it was ok.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

pinkmagic wrote:Looking at booking our annual trip to Egypt. I am considering the Egyptair direct flight but have noticed that Turkish airlines have reasonable fares from Birmingham to Hurghada which for us is very convenient. Obviously you have to change in Istanbul but the connections are good and as it is a daily flight it means we would be able to travel at the weekends, so it would avoid taking the children out of school.

Has anyone ever flown with Turkish airlines on this route and how did you find it?
I flew it from Birmingham in February this year. I was able to catch a daytime train to and from Birmingham so it was very easy at that end. You need to make good arrangements at the Hurghada end as you arrive and depart in the middle of the night.

Turkish Airlines have a generous baggage allowance, and food and beverages (both with and without alcohol) are included. I thoroughly recommend the airline.

Main downside is Istanbul (Attaturk) Airport. This is vast, and you may have to transfer from one end to the other of the terminal - nearly a mile. Signage and information is not very good.

My children also came out via Attaturk from Manchester. A very good connection, but again a rushed transfer so little time for shopping.

Istanbul airport accepts Turkish Lira and Euros in its shops. Everything there seemed very expensive, but I guess that is the same at any major hub.

For transfers to and from Luxor I used Petra Travel. Get an price from them before looking elsewhere. Others can advise on the coach transfers, but I decided that I wanted something airport to door.

TA also fly to Cairo, Alexandria, Sharm ash-Sheikh and Marsa Alam from Istanbul. All very much the same time of night. Maybe we can persuade them to fly also to Luxor and Aswan?

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Thanks for the replies. Not too concerened about the arrival time and transfers as family would collect us as they did last year when we flew into Hurghada. We would more than likely spend a couple of nights there before flying back to the UK also. My main concern is the luggage situation as Newcastle mentioned. Did yours arrive OK Brian? I assume when you arrive in Istanbul you don't clear cutoms and remain in a transit area? Might however be tempted by a couple of nights in Istanbul as it is somewhere I have always wanted to see :)

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

I will be flying Izmir, Istanbul, Hurghada with Turkish Airlines in January, my first time on this route. I've always used Egypt Air before, but they have changed my flights - always to my detriment - too many times. I've flown with TA many times and always been satisfied, and their prices from Turkey are excellent.

Pinkmagic - if you stop-over in Istanbul you'll need separate tickets, so it can be quite a bit more expensive.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Its actually working out about £10 cheaper with a stopover in Istanbul!

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Great stuff!! Istanbul is a fabulous city, so much to do and see. Enjoy!

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

If we decide to stopover in Istanbul we would only really have just over 24 hours. What would you say are the must sees Yildez? Would be with our 2 children aged 11 and 9 so wouldn't want to be trudging round museums all day. Would love to see inside the blue mosque though and was thinking maybe a cruise down the bosphurus then a mooch round the baazars, what do you think?

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Definitely the Blue Mosque, absolutely stunning. Boat trip will depend on the weather. Take a ferry over to Kadikoy on the Asian side - fab markets, restaurants, shops, waterfront. Or a wander round the Grand Bazaar? Cross over on the Galeata Bridge and walk up to the Tower? A trip to Haghia Sofia - stunning, and the most important Christian Church of the Byzantine period, although a museum rather than a church now. Amazing mosaics. My favourite? Ortakoy - fabulous mosque, old wooden houses, art and craft shops by the dozen, very romantic for breakfast by the Bosphorous!!! 24 hours will just give you a taster!!!

When will you be there? The weather can be freezing cold in the winter!

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

pinkmagic wrote:Its actually working out about £10 cheaper with a stopover in Istanbul!
but you will need a visa to leave the airport.

Yes, our baggage made it through Attaturk with no problems earlier this year, even though the transfer to the Manchester flight was reduced to about 50 minutes following a late departure from Hurghada.

The bigger problem is that Security would not allow us into the new International Terminal at Hurghada until about 2 hours before our 03:15 departure time. We had to hang around outside for an hour with very limited seating.

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez »

Pink magic, Brian is right - you will all need visas, children too, if you exit the airport. The best option is to buy them online a couple of weeks before your travel date. Make sure you use the official government website, as there are some counterfeit sites that rip you off. Will look up the web address and post it for you.

pinkmagic
United Kingdom

Post by pinkmagic »

Thanks for your advice on places to visit Yildez, like the sound of going across to the Asian side. We would be going late May so hopefully the weather will be good.
I have factored in the cost of an overnight hotel and visas. I actually sometimes have to help customers with these visas at work, just never flown Turkish airlines or used Attaturk airport. I figured it may still be cheaper to do Istanbul as a stopover than as a seperate trip in the future whilst we have the opportunuty. Might like it so much I end up having to go back though :)

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four »

pinkmagic wrote:Thanks for your advice on places to visit Yildez, like the sound of going across to the Asian side. We would be going late May so hopefully the weather will be good.
I have factored in the cost of an overnight hotel and visas. I actually sometimes have to help customers with these visas at work, just never flown Turkish airlines or used Attaturk airport. I figured it may still be cheaper to do Istanbul as a stopover than as a seperate trip in the future whilst we have the opportunuty. Might like it so much I end up having to go back though :)
Seems to me Pinkmagic, you are a bit of a culture vulture, if you have not already read a guide book on Istambul do so, and you will see you will need more than one day in this fantastic place. Try to stay in the old city, and cross the Golden Horn Bridge to the modern city for a day of modern shopping. Nothing really to see on the Asian side, but believe me, you will never forget your visit to the wonderful city, where truly East meets West.

Remember it is vital that you read the guide book BEFORE you get there to really appreciate the treasures of that place.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

The other think that Attaturk provides is a guided tour of Istanbul for those with a long transfer. This is only 09:00 to 18:00, but it is free. I have not tried it, but here is a link.

http://www.istanbulinhours.com/what-is-touristanbul

No idea if a visa is required. But if you look at the faq on the website you will probably conclude that a visa is necessary. Entry fees to museums and sites, and food, seems to be free.

If anybody has tried this out then a report here would be appreciated!

The video is worth watching:

phpBB [video]

And the tours vary from day to day too!