Does it really matter what you wear?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: Horus, DJKeefy, 4u Network

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Re: Does it really matter what you wear?

Post by carrie » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:02 am

Now now Glyph, you know you swop from your "full battle gear" to your pink panther outfit when travelling on the Metro. :lol:

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:25 am

I think we have just exposed 'Batman' :D
It is what it is.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:15 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:I asked first and my comments didn't concern you whereas yours were a comment on myself personally. I will stop asking now and just conclude it was a snide remark about some sort of dress that some Muslim women and/or Egyptian women commonly wear that you like to make fun of. I am pretty sure whatever it is I don't wear it, but shame on you because there are probably those that do.
As I stated in the past, it was not meant as an insult, it was a humorous turn of phrase that was obviously lost on you. A term that is well used by thousands to denote a particular type of dress worn at that moment of time. But you carry on digging it up to put life back into dried over past wounds. It also gives you a good opportunity not to answer my question concerning the German as you know that whatever you say could be seen as racial profiling. The beauty of full battle dress is that it is so loose fitting it enables the wearer to riddle out of anything, as you have done. Same as when I asked you to give me examples of when I have invaded peoples personnel space without conscience resulting in nil respect towards some. I think that you would be better off trawling the net for ways of successfully turning the tables on folk, as your quite p*** poor in your attempts towards me.

If you are going to attempt to insult me, upset me, annoy me, p*** me off or whatever, would you please find some new material on your way towards a hiding to nothing.

At least I managed a full month of being nice, back to Maverick as the saying goes. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:35 pm

Dusak-You could come out straight and say what it is in plain Arabic/English terms and you won't. I asked a straightforward question and have gotten nothing but evasive answers. When I ask a question, it's a question for information, nothing more nothing less. That you think this is about upsetting, insulting or whatever, that's your emotions getting the better of you, but it has nothing to do with my intentions and all to do with your own state of mind. Play nice or play dirty with me, that's child's play and you can play with your own toys, I'm not playing along.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:52 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:Tourist women who put a scarf on their head never wear it like a local so they still stick out like sore thumbs. Same for the loose clothing. They might just look like a sack of potatoes or frumpy. So I would say wear what is comfortable and protects you from the danger of sunburn because a tourist will never know how to dress local.
A very sensible answer GD to what I consider a rather insulting question!

Why should we conform?
Most tourists are not Egyptian citizens,most of us are NOT Muslim.So,why,why,why should it matter?

We will NEVER look like "locals"no matter what we wear.So,why not just wear what we feel comfortable and attractive in?

Sorry..but I have no problem meeting my Egyptian friends(male and female)whilst wearing vest tops,cropped trousers..and even (horror upon horrors!!)a "wonderbra!!
They don't even "bat an eyelid!"That's "my"style,my clothes,my individuality!

I watched a programme the other night about "age gap"relationships.A 51 year old English woman re-visited Tunisia to visit her 26 year old "boyfriend."
She proclaims that she has "embraced"Islam.

I've never seen anything more ridiculous looking!She dressed in a gallabeya that he had bought her and tried to follow him in prayer!Up and down,waving her arms about,muttering words she obviously didn't understand!!

For what?
To conform?Believe me..he was a very attractive young man!

She would have been better off "expressing her individuality",rather than looking like an old idiot!!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:52 pm

Scottishtourist wrote: A very sensible answer GD to what I consider a rather insulting question!
What is insulting about the question? It is a question that is asked by thousands of travellers, not just for places like Luxor but other places around the world, particularly by people who have not travelled much or to places that are somewhat different to e.g Benidorm.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:12 pm

I reckon it's an insulting question because we are literally being asked whether or not we would change our dress-style to accommodate the culture of a country we are visiting!

We are TOURISTS.We come from another country!

We're just making a fool of ourselves and pretending we're something we're not by "covering up"and looking like idiots!

When they start to respect MY culture,dress-sense,and individuality..then I'll start to respect theirs!

They have no problem accepting our sterling,dollars and yen..so they gotta accept that WE are different..as is our currency!

They should bloody appreciate that we are visitors to THEIR country..without them or anyone else expecting us to conform to their ideals!

And personally,I don't think it matters what we wear.We will still be harrassed..just like the 99% of Egyptian women who cover themselves from head to toe.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:14 pm

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote: what I consider a rather insulting question!
What is insulting about the question?
:tk Don't you think, Scottishtourist meant that as a compliment?

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:28 pm

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote: what I consider a rather insulting question!
What is insulting about the question?
:tk Don't you think, Scottishtourist meant that as a compliment?
No, I don't. I think she just chose to focus on one aspect of what was written and turn it all into a negative.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

BENNU wrote:I am not trying to live up to local women and I probably look like a sack of potatoes, covering up in my non Egyptian way. Noone can say that they have seen what I look like underneath the layers, and that seems to be important around here. Some say that I am confined by the morality of others, but this gives me the freedom to walk in peace.

I do like to feel the sun on my skin, but I do that where noone else can see me.
And you have such beautiful clothes,fabrics,style and colours Bennu.

So why are you not showing these off in Luxor?

Far from being "confined by morality of others"I think you would be much admired!

You are allowing others to dictate your sense of style.Why should they,when you probably look far more attractive,stylish and individual in your own choice of clothing?

Stop looking like a sack of potatoes just because you are in Luxor and are not "local."

Just be yourself!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:44 pm

I have no problem looking like a sack of potatoes. It is a style I am comfortable with and have invested a lifetime in cultivating it.
:)
-Aldous Huxley

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:47 pm

I cover up for my own sake and I certainly express myself with my clothes.

The first month I lived here, I went down Medina on a windy afternoon in what I considered a very decent outfit then. I wore a classic linen skirt, rather long with a split that I had secured invisibly with safety pins, so that nothing could be revealed. What made me stop wearing this skirt in Luxor was the spontaneous reaction of average men, who were provoked by the idea that a knee might suddenly appear in the split, and they could not keep their eyes from it. They were clearly not comfortable with this and several times since have I realised that what I considered particularly innocent and neutral had an unintended effect on men who were not looking for it, or brought up to take resonsibility for their own lust. I began to define my own limits within the existing frames in the area where I have chosen to live.

I know that I am repeating myself, but it is important to me that it is my own choice and it has made my life easier, also as a tourist in Morocco. It is fine with me if Egyptian women appear more stylish than I do in my comfortable Swedish clothes, as long as the men leave me alone, which they do. I do feel elegant, though.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:02 am

Scottishtourist wrote:And you have such beautiful clothes,fabrics,style and colours Bennu.

So why are you not showing these off in Luxor?

Far from being "confined by morality of others"I think you would be much admired!

You are allowing others to dictate your sense of style.Why should they,when you probably look far more attractive,stylish and individual in your own choice of clothing?

Stop looking like a sack of potatoes just because you are in Luxor and are not "local."

Just be yourself!
I do wear what I consider beautiful, clothes, fabrics, colour and style all the time, Scottishtourist. I am not confined and am admired, but from a distance by men who know better than to even try. Others would have to be very creative to dictate my sense of style which is individual and my choice. I just do not show body contours or skin.

I am happy that you no longer have a problem with me being myself.

:bg: :jig: :bl:

Bearded Brian
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Bearded Brian » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:10 am

Bennu and looking like a sack of potatoes should never appear in the same sentence.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:49 am

Bearded Brian wrote:Bennu and looking like a sack of potatoes should never appear in the same sentence. :gg:

:oops2: :oops: - And they say that there are no gentlemen left in UK. I knew they were wrong. :oops:

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:25 am

The reason I say tourists can't look like locals is it takes time and discernment to catch on how to dress local (and there is more than one type of local dress that depends on a lot of socio-economic and regional factors). Even some long term expats who clearly are trying to dress like locals fail miserably because they don't catch on to the subtle differences between various groups of people and how they dress. I've seen photos of certain expats who wear clothes that would be appropriate for a thinner 20-something Egyptian girl, but which would never be worn by an Egyptian woman of their size or age. If you can't get it right, then no point in even trying. If you don't even try to dress local, then you just look "foreign," which I think is better than looking like "mutton dressed up as lamb" as the Brits like to say.

This even happened to my husband once. He bought some gallabiyas in Cairo and took them to wear in Luxor and got so much flak that they weren't the local style that he ditched them and got some local ones instead. When he wears jeans and a shirt, no one would say such things. It really is worse to get close but not correct than to just do your own thing.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:21 am

Omar got a lot of hassle when he was wearing 3/4 tracksuit shorts and a t shirt as he just didn't look Egyptian. In jeans and a t shirt no one bats an eyelid. I was once informed I wasn't worth hassling because I obviously lived in Luxor... not from the style of my clothes, but because I had about 3 layers on, fleece and scarf in Feb. I was cold, and the tourists stood out in their shorts :lol: Sometimes, people can try too hard. I just go for comfort and decency and it works. ( Decency as I'm a bit of a lard arse and revealing my lardy bits would be indecent enough :D )
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:09 pm

When in Rome.........................

I was never asked to cover my head, I chose to do it because I felt more comfortable. The women in the family taught me the various fashions which is fun, I have seen so many over the last 25 years.

Other than that I just wear what I feel is appropriate for me in regard to comfort and decency, which seems to be approved by the people who matter to me.

The idea of choosing something appropriate - whether is be clothing or behaviour seems a lost skill.
Smile! It confuses people

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:17 pm

Scottishtourist wrote:I reckon it's an insulting question because we are literally being asked whether or not we would change our dress-style to accommodate the culture of a country we are visiting!

We are TOURISTS.We come from another country!

We're just making a fool of ourselves and pretending we're something we're not by "covering up"and looking like idiots!

When they start to respect MY culture,dress-sense,and individuality..then I'll start to respect theirs!

They have no problem accepting our sterling,dollars and yen..so they gotta accept that WE are different..as is our currency!

They should bloody appreciate that we are visitors to THEIR country..without them or anyone else expecting us to conform to their ideals!

And personally,I don't think it matters what we wear.We will still be harrassed..just like the 99% of Egyptian women who cover themselves from head to toe.
This post totally bemuses me. Is it a Troll I wonder? :urm:

Will the real Scottish Tourist - noted for her caring and compassionate nature and her quite considerable knowledge of Egyptian family life and ways - please stand up and tell us that she didn't really write the above. :tk

If she did was it a attempt at humour? :ni:
Smile! It confuses people

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Not a TROLL MD..and yes..I did write the post!

And it wasn't an attempt at humour.It was more an observation of what I have seen in Luxor!
TOURISTS arriving there and being sneered at,leered at..all because they wear their own idea of comfortable clothes and don't conform to the Egyptian ideals.

Why does my clothing need "approval?"
I choose not to cover my hair,I choose to "expose"my arms,shoulders and ankles.

Body contours?If Egyptian men leer..then surely that's their problem?
Maybe if they don't approve then they should avert their gaze!

On another vein..I've enjoyed some wonderful "ladies nights"with Egyptian female friends.I have been stripped down to my underwear and they have dressed me in their gallabeyas and headscarves..to see what I would look like!!
My appearance in this "garb" has been great source of amusement to them..my underwear has been envied!!

I just don't "look right."Their words..not mine!
I'm advised just to "stay as I am!",and that I look better wearing my own clothes,lol!!