Does it really matter what you wear?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Does it really matter what you wear?

Post by HEPZIBAH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:42 am

People often ask travel sites such as Trip Advisor about what is the appropriate or respectable clothing to wear when going to a given country. I am sometimes surprised by the responses although over all I find usually basic good advice is given.

Bringing this into the context of Luxor, and thinking back over the years of what I have read, seen in photographs, and seen on my visits, there do seem to be some mixed messages out there. Some would advocate for covering up head to toe as much as possible whilst the more extreme give off the 'It's my holiday/my body and I'll wear as little as I want.' attitude.

I know there are attitudes of appropriate dress for men but it does seem the extremes of opinion apply mainly to women.

What are your thoughts on this? Does it really matter what you wear?

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Re: Does it really matter what you wear?

Post by newcastle » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:11 pm

Of course it matters....certainly in the context of a foreigner visiting Luxor.

Unless you (a woman) wish to leered at, verbally abused....or worse....then obey the dress norms for this part of Egypt. Cover your arms and legs when out & about.

Not all Egyptian women wear head covering and the absence of this, on its own, is unlikely to attract attention.

Whether YOU (a woman) thinks it's right to have to comply with someone else's perceptions is neither here nor there.....you are hugely outnumbered.

Mad Dilys
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Spain

Post by Mad Dilys » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:34 pm

newcastle wrote:Of course it matters....certainly in the context of a foreigner visiting Luxor.

Unless you (a woman) wish to leered at, verbally abused....or worse....then obey the dress norms for this part of Egypt. Cover your arms and legs when out & about.

Not all Egyptian women wear head covering and the absence of this, on its own, is unlikely to attract attention.
I agree with this and also the climate should be taken into account in Egypt. The sun is exceptionally strong and it is easy to get both sunstroke and severely burned.

Tourists underestimate the risks.

Loose clothing that mostly covers the person makes sense and people have been wearing it for thousands of years.
As far as I am concerned if it's good enough for the locals its good enough for me. 8)
Smile! It confuses people

Yildez
Top Member
Top Member

Post by Yildez » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:59 pm

When in Luxor I wear exactly the same clothes that I wear at home in Turkey - all cotton, mid calf cropped trousers, tee shirts with sleeves to just above the elbow and no décolletage on display. Works for me!

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:03 pm

Tourist women who put a scarf on their head never wear it like a local so they still stick out like sore thumbs. Same for the loose clothing. They might just look like a sack of potatoes or frumpy. So I would say wear what is comfortable and protects you from the danger of sunburn because a tourist will never know how to dress local.

Of course, spending time in Luxor doesn't always mean a woman eventually starts to catch on. There was a blog I came across of some expat woman who bragged about how she "didn't show too much cleavage."

Who2
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Who2 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:16 pm

I think our daily Russian hedonistic visitors have it off to a T.
Boob tubes and those little Levi bum-showing shorts seem to go down really well round here… :cool:
"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Can't stand wearing hats but sometimes when I'm out and about during the day in Summer I wear a cotton scarf, not trying to look "local" just over my head to keep the sun off. Loose cotton clothing, comfortable shoes, don't care if I look frumpy but do want to be comfortable.
I can never understand how some women here can go out in the heat of the mid day sun with all the make up on and look immaculate, it would just run down my face and make me look like a clown.
Hey ho you either have it or you don't and I don't.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 pm

I am not trying to live up to local women and I probably look like a sack of potatoes, covering up in my non Egyptian way. Noone can say that they have seen what I look like underneath the layers, and that seems to be important around here. Some say that I am confined by the morality of others, but this gives me the freedom to walk in peace.

I do like to feel the sun on my skin, but I do that where noone else can see me.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:52 pm

I wear a hat in Luxor except in mid-winter. Otherwise very much the same clothes as I would wear in England in the same weather. I dress for comfort, not for style.

LovelyLadyLux
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
Canada

Post by LovelyLadyLux » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:09 am

When I travel I do try to wear what is most comfortable to me, what is most applicable and practical to the weather where I'm going and what fits easiest in my suitcase i.e. Hawaii I can go crazy with bright colour and huge floral shirts and a wide brimmed hat, in Trinidad I can wear sleeveless bright solid coloured t-shirts and a wide brimmed hat, in Egypt I wore cotton 3/4 length sleeved shirts that buttoned high, longish loose capris and a wide brimmed hat and in my own area of the world I wear long canvas jackets, denim jeans and rubber boots ('cept when I stroll our nude beaches ;) THEN I wear ??? plus a wide brimmed hat.

Makes sense to know what the locals wear and then adapt your own style to it so as to NOT stick out like a sore thumb but not to be so conformist (and not make it as Glyph says) that you stick out like a sore thumb.

In my corner of the world we're all pretty laid back about clothes. All the later day hippies from the small Islands honestly look like they came out of the 70ies still and the styles of the 70ies have never left but really nobody cares. We all can spot an American and all their brand names clothes, excessive make up, hair cuts and jewelry a mile away..........but our goods are priced so we can't fleece the tourists.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:07 am

Even if a tourist can dress like a local, the egg white colouring would make them stick out like a sore thumb. Personally I go around in short ankle socks with desert wellies, shorts of various shades, short sleeved shirt with just a hint of hairy chest and cleavage topped off with my bush hat. My outfit is complemented with my trademark light blue sweat cloth around my neck.. Works for me. :up
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:55 am

English Clothes for me including sandels and white socks so I do not look sexy! for my wife mainly slacks and short sleeved blouses. Like most she wears a canvas hat for the sun. Because she has very fair hair and features the sun soon bleaches her hair. You find that has a woman gets older her features can become fairer, that's why its important when a woman's hair starts to salt and pepper they do not dye it black, fair features and black hair can make them look like an old Eagles song.

That starts,

Raven Hair and Ruby lips
Sparks flying from her finger tips ------

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:31 am

Dusak wrote:Even if a tourist can dress like a local, the egg white colouring would make them stick out like a sore thumb. Personally I go around in short ankle socks with desert wellies, shorts of various shades, short sleeved shirt with just a hint of hairy chest and cleavage topped off with my bush hat. My outfit is complemented with my trademark light blue sweat cloth around my neck.. Works for me. :up
Fortunately D you have the David Attenborough approach to clothing his case for continuity for filming, which also works well for you in the newly released DVD 'D does DIY' which features hard core power tools and a pussy :lol:
It is what it is.

dsaxelby

Post by dsaxelby » Thu Feb 05, 2015 9:45 am

I usually wear skinny jeans, flats and a large white cotton shirt. Occasionally I will don a shortish dress and heels. To visit locals I will wear a full length dress and cover my arms and will probably cover my hair on certain occasions. I just look ridiculous in the native clothing, to get the length it comes vertically wider too, I have a little head so a open face balaclava with drapes, along with the shin length tent was not a good look.
I have purchased a beautiful dress from UAE which culturally is longer, and the women are slimmer, now this is stunning, quite liking the demure soft draping of the head cover. We will see how this goes down. :)
It is what it is.

Robbo70

Post by Robbo70 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:24 pm

jeans and a long sleeved shirt in the cooler times, 3/4 length shorts and a t shirt in the warmer times. CAT boots by winter, trainers by summer. The sense of occasion is only determined by whether or not the t-shirt or shirt is ironed or not :lol:
Stand up to be seen
Speak up to be heard
Shut up to be appreciated

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:52 pm

I'm still trying to get a straight answer about what my full battle gear that I allegedly wear is supposed to look like.

A-Four
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by A-Four » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:07 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:I'm still trying to get a straight answer about what my full battle gear that I allegedly wear is supposed to look like.
Oh take no notice Glyph, look upon it as more as admiration than anything else, a little like when the U.S.S.R. called Margaret Thatcher 'the Iron Lady', though don't let this go to your head. Look what happened to her, she went quite nuts, and I do mean the full hazel.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:35 pm

Glyphdoctor wrote:I'm still trying to get a straight answer about what my full battle gear that I allegedly wear is supposed to look like.
I'm still waiting for an answer to my question, that being, how can you tell a woman is German just by looking at her. :cg
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Glyphdoctor
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Glyphdoctor » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:50 am

I asked first and my comments didn't concern you whereas yours were a comment on myself personally. I will stop asking now and just conclude it was a snide remark about some sort of dress that some Muslim women and/or Egyptian women commonly wear that you like to make fun of. I am pretty sure whatever it is I don't wear it, but shame on you because there are probably those that do.

Luxor Pharoahs

Post by Luxor Pharoahs » Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:11 am

Battle Gear GD??, I presume because you are married to an Egyptian Man you would be sympathetic to his faith and beliefs, that being the case good for you, you are living the life both you and your husband follow.