UK - Aviation security update

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Re: UK - Aviation security update

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Zooropa wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:
Alistair1967 wrote:If there are checks at the gate, what will happen with any items which you have purchased after security? Fancy treating yourself to a duty-free iPad to take away with you? Well it might get confiscated! :o
I would imagine they will get treated the same as other duty free purchases - they will most likely be boxed and you will have your receipt. In the extreme they could put them in the sealed bags like they use for alcohol and perfumes.

The new system could cause more issues for people who have to make connecting flights though as folks may not have time to re-charge up their equipment before the next flight security check.

It will be a pain - but the solution is very simple - charge your devices before travelling and if you even slightly doubt the battery wont last under normal usage for the duration of your travel then don't use them!
I would imagine most people do charge their mobile phones, computers and kindles before travelling but if they have been used during travelling and at the airport - especially in the case of a delay - the charge could well be run down. There are charging points in airports now but I doubt there will be enough given the new security measures.

Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

As I said previously, the rules have been made clear. DONT switch on devices you suspect won't last the journey. Then you won't have a problem

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

As most items power up when plugged into the mains why not have a bank of sockets incase?

Remus
Egypt

Post by Remus »

Evidently there were just the usual security checks at
LHR last Monday for the direct Luxor flight - ie none of the above.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Remus wrote:Evidently there were just the usual security checks at
They have said it won't be all flights or all airports and I think the prime focus is on US flights. However, given that the security requirements at each terminal at LHR seem to be different it does not surprise me that none of the new checks were made for the LHR - LXR flight.
-Aldous Huxley

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

They were only announced on Tue the 8th as per the OP so they would hardly have been in place on Monday for all flights.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
They have said it won't be all flights or all airports and I think the prime focus is on US flights. However, given that the security requirements at each terminal at LHR seem to be different it does not surprise me that none of the new checks were made for the LHR - LXR flight.
Im surprised they have given as much info as they have.

It does not make sense to be too specific - don't try it on at these airports but you may get on better if you try it on at these airports etc!

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
I should rephrase that slightly or at least clarify it.
I believe the fundamental security requirements in real terms are the same in all airports however, it would seem that the security equipment varies between terminals and also the risk factor according to the flights being taken.
-Aldous Huxley

Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

All the reports say that certain routes will affected by the device rules. I think we can take it for granted that USA flights will be on the list. Whether Egypt will be also, remains to be seen.

Bombay
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P
Egypt

Post by Bombay »

As I see it ALL flights will be checked at the first security check followed by a possible second at the gate.

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

It really seems a bit farcical all these new security measures, anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry can buy products in the departure lounge shops to build an incendiary device , bomb, or even a weapon. For obvious reasons I won't go into details of how on a public forum, security needs to be re-examined on a fundamental level.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

I flew from Gatwick to Hurghada yesterday....not a sniff of any changes to security checks. Certainly no interest in electronic devices....whether on or off.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

I can't help but think, judging by some of the comments, that not every one has actually read the original post, or the link provided!

'On 2 July we announced we were stepping up some of our aviation security measures. In line with the US advice, passengers on some routes into and out of the UK may now also be required to show that electronic devices in their hand luggage are powered up or face not being allowed to bring the device onto the aircraft. Passengers flying into or out of the UK are therefore advised to make sure electronic devices being carried in their hand luggage are charged before they travel.

For obvious reason we will not be commenting in detail on the routes affected. We will work with the aviation industry to minimise disruption as far as possible.

The UK has some of the most robust aviation security measures in the world and we will continue to take all the steps necessary to ensure that public safety is maintained.'

Just because there was no apparent extra security check at one UK airport terminal at any given time, on any given day, does not mean that it is not taking place elsewhere. I have no evidence that these checks are, or are not taking place, but I certainly don't intend risking hassle and embarrassment at the airport next time I fly out of and into a UK airport. (I remember too well my Christmas Chutney incident! )
-Aldous Huxley

newcastle
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Egypt

Post by newcastle »

HEPZIBAH wrote:
Just because there was no apparent extra security check at one UK airport terminal at any given time, on any given day, does not mean that it is not taking place elsewhere. I have no evidence that these checks are, or are not taking place, but I certainly don't intend risking hassle and embarrassment at the airport next time I fly out of and into a UK airport. (I remember too well my Christmas Chutney incident! )
I think everyone has read the link...I certainly did (having received it multiple times)

Indeed I went to the airport fully charged...as it were.

I thought this thread was for general comments etc. including, perhaps, the experiences of those travelling under the new checks. Forgive me if my interjection was found to be "off topic".

Did I suggest that the advice should not be followed or that my experience was other than unique to my particular "event" ?

You have no evidence....blah blah.....Really? Well you have mine that on Friday morning, 11th July 2014, around 9am there were no such checks being made at Gatwick North Terminal. Mind you, I did not conduct an extensive search of the airport, nor did I trouble the security staff who I'm sure have better things to do than answer silly enquiries.

Good luck with your next trip Hepzibah....with or without chutney :wi
Last edited by newcastle on Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

Well! That told me! :roll:
-Aldous Huxley

BBLUX
Egyptian God
Egyptian God
Location: Winter in West Bank, Luxor and La Vienne, France in Summer

Post by BBLUX »

When we flew out of Luxor back in May we were required to switch on laptop etc to prove they worked.
Egypt was already proactive with these measures.

Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Dusak
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by Dusak »

BBLUX wrote:When we flew out of Luxor back in May we were required to switch on laptop etc to prove they worked.
I wonder how many of the same 'my Mohammed' wallpaper photo's were displayed when switched on.? :lol:
Life is your's to do with as you wish- do not let other's try to control it for you. Count Dusak- 1345.

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Darkstar wrote:It really seems a bit farcical all these new security measures, anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry can buy products in the departure lounge shops to build an incendiary device , bomb, or even a weapon. For obvious reasons I won't go into details of how on a public forum, security needs to be re-examined on a fundamental level.
And how many times has this happened and been successful?

Darkstar
United Kingdom

Post by Darkstar »

Zooropa wrote:
Darkstar wrote:It really seems a bit farcical all these new security measures, anybody with a rudimentary knowledge of chemistry can buy products in the departure lounge shops to build an incendiary device , bomb, or even a weapon. For obvious reasons I won't go into details of how on a public forum, security needs to be re-examined on a fundamental level.
And how many times has this happened and been successful?
Who knows? Not all details of terrorist attacks are given out, just because it hasn't been on the news it doesn't mean it hasn't happened or isn't likely to happen.
Nemo mortalium omnibus horis sapit.

Brian Yare
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Brian Yare »

BBLUX wrote:When we flew out of Luxor back in May we were required to switch on laptop etc to prove they worked.
Same with me in late April. The batteries in my laser pointer pen (that should probably not have been in hand-baggage in any case) were just about well enough charged to show that it worked (after they had dropped the three tiny batteries on the floor and had to round them up and reinsert them the correct way round!). They did not notice that it pulls out to become a 50cm pointer with a sharp point (ball-point pen).

I was not asked to turn my camera or phone on, but my notebook and pad were both checked.