Perhaps The Doctor Is Right?

Get the best advice about your holiday in Luxor.

Moderators: DJKeefy, 4u Network

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Re: Perhaps The Doctor Is Right?

Post by Who2 »

Just watched all three parts, I'm a fan, they are honest, dead clever and entertaining, I'm going to watch a lot more of their work, 'daft or ignorant they are not....:cool:
Ps: you all miss the point, they were stunned! when they needed to be as are All, the first time they come to Egypt.
Pss: shame they didn't do the great pyramid that would have been brill!
Ps: they were not cheapskates just careful, I noticed they happily paid to fly with the 'premier balloon company rather than the half price cowboys..
Last edited by Who2 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"The Salvation of Mankind lies in making everything the responsibility of All"
Sophocles.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

HEPZIBAH wrote:Considering their visit was made in 2010, I wonder what they would make of things if they revisited now in 2014.
We will not know, I think. Not everyone who is unhappy with the place keeps returning.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Scottishtourist »

Well..thank God they finally said something positive!
Hopefully that will pacify the "seek em out,string em up,hang em high"brigade!

P.s. "Alabama pig farmers?""Rednecks?""Country cousins?"
Are those derogatory terms..or racist insults?
Or are they merely terms of endearment towards fellow travellers/tourists?

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Scottishtourist wrote:Well..thank God they finally said something positive!
Hopefully that will pacify the "seek em out,string em up,hang em high"brigade!

P.s. "Alabama pig farmers?""Rednecks?""Country cousins?"
Are those derogatory terms..or racist insults?
Or are they merely terms of endearment towards fellow travellers/tourists?
ST, on a regular bases, you are a lot more cutting in your criticism of others that most of what has been said on this thread.

Could it be that you are "outraged" at the comments they have attracted because they happen to be engaging in your part time hobby of trashing Luxor?

As has been pointed out, they have obviously gone on a long trip without sufficient funds and as a result are complaining at the very modest entrance fees for the attractions, things are not overpriced just because you don't have much money.

Check out the Cairo report and you will see that the mans trousers were ripped up, were over a year old and he was hoping that they would last the last month of their trip.

Why didn't he just spend 30LE and buy a new pair?

No doubt its because he didn't want to get "ripped off" by one of the "touts"

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

Qp Why didn't he just spend 30LE and buy a new pair?
A: He probably wasn't aware he could buy a half decent pair of combats here at a min 200le,
I can't except, at timberland in City Stars and also he probably loves his, I love mine M&S North Coast, tough as boots but mended loads of time.... :cool:
Sophocles.

Who2
Egyptian God
Egyptian God

Post by Who2 »

AsI am so in love with my north coast camo's I enclose a 'selfie...:cool:
Sophocles.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Zooropa wrote:
ST, on a regular bases, you are a lot more cutting in your criticism of others that most of what has been said on this thread.

Could it be that you are "outraged" at the comments they have attracted because they happen to be engaging in your part time hobby of trashing Luxor?

As has been pointed out, they have obviously gone on a long trip without sufficient funds and as a result are complaining at the very modest entrance fees for the attractions, things are not overpriced just because you don't have much money.

Check out the Cairo report and you will see that the mans trousers were ripped up, were over a year old and he was hoping that they would last the last month of their trip.

Well,so what if his trousers were ripped?Is there a law against wearing frayed clothes?
And so what if they don't appear to have "sufficient"funds?That's their choice,Egypt on a shoestring budget!
I happen to think that they're pretty honest in their opinions.
As for not wanting to be "ripped off?"
Well...good for them!
They appear to be doing their OWN thing,using budget hotels,local transport,restaurants,etc,etc.
Isn't it ironic how everyone tells us to do this?To get the true "feel"of Egypt?
Then they complain when people do!

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

phpBB [video]

There are no roofs on most houses, roofs are good. You can look into their homes, this man has a goat at the end of his bed. :C

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

:look:
Valley of the Queens

"You get the feeling that they were painted like a couple of years ago as opposed to just left the way that they were, so that you could see how that had actually aged. But regardless, I mean, they had kept up the same idea of what was on there, so you get to see what they were putting on there, just looks a little more modern."

Zooropa
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Zooropa »

Scottishtourist wrote:
Zooropa wrote:

Well,so what if his trousers were ripped?Is there a law against wearing frayed clothes?

Nothing at all wrong with it but you either put up with it or buy a new pair either way don't complain - nobody is interested

And so what if they don't appear to have "sufficient"funds?That's their choice,Egypt on a shoestring budget!

Again, no problem but it does not give you an excuse to complain about what I consider to be reasonable entrance fees

I happen to think that they're pretty honest in their opinions.

Theres no doubting that

As for not wanting to be "ripped off?"
Well...good for them!

Obviously no one does, that's not the point, they moaned about the cost of everything and then suggested at some points they were being ripped off, not liking a price and being ripped off are two different things

They appear to be doing their OWN thing,using budget hotels,local transport,restaurants,etc,etc.
Isn't it ironic how everyone tells us to do this?To get the true "feel"of Egypt?
Then they complain when people do!
Whos complaining about them doing their own thing? If you want to go budget then fine but don't moan when its not the Winchester Hilton, these people complained at $20 to see Luxor temple, $20 to go inside one of the most famous if not the most famous monument in the world, they even complained when $20 entry to the Giza Plateau didn't also buy them the place to themselves free from any locals!

They are entitled to their opinion and im entitled to my opinion that they are ignorant, annoying ingrates that want everything for nothing.

Bearing in mind also, the price they paid at the Pyramids was less than what they should have paid as the man gained entrance on a student ticket to which he was not entitled.
Last edited by Zooropa on Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
HEPZIBAH wrote:Considering their visit was made in 2010, I wonder what they would make of things if they revisited now in 2014.
We will not know, I think. Not everyone who is unhappy with the place keeps returning.
True.
Image Experience is not what happens to you;
it is what you do with what happens to you.
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote::look:
Valley of the Queens

"You get the feeling that they were painted like a couple of years ago as opposed to just left the way that they were, so that you could see how that had actually aged. But regardless, I mean, they had kept up the same idea of what was on there, so you get to see what they were putting on there, just looks a little more modern."
Yes, that was another line I liked.

Actually her comments reminded me so much of the reactions and comments of some Americans who were followed by cameras for a TV programme in the UK. Quite a few of them had brought a suitcase of food over with them because they were worried about British food. One was adamant that the Roman Baths at Bath were just a modern mock up and said something along the lines of 'We've got Disney and it's far better than this rubbish.'
-Aldous Huxley

HEPZIBAH
Luxor4u God
Luxor4u God

Post by HEPZIBAH »

BENNU wrote:
phpBB [video]

There are no roofs on most houses, roofs are good. You can look into their homes, this man has a goat at the end of his bed. :C
The balloon flight really brought a smile to my face. I remember the first time I took a flight (same company but different pilot) and we spent a fair bit of time over houses. I loved it and was fascinated but at the same time felt really guilty about being able to see in to people's private quarters. It didn't shock me though as it just brought to life the pictures I'd had in my mind since childhood about such types of homes.
-Aldous Huxley

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

What's your point Bennu with your statements?Are your "smilies"showing degree of sarcasm?Superiority even?
Forgive me..but you appear to be a bit snobbish.As if by living there frequently you know exactly the "lie of the land"and are ridiculing those (American tourists)for their supposed naivety and comments.
Or is it the case that they are not so priviledged as you are..and therefore their comments are worthless and unimportant in your view?

Alistair1967

Post by Alistair1967 »

Haha, it's laughable, frankly, to get so upset by two young and slightly naive Americans. They certainly weren't wrong about everything, and at least showed a bit of adventure, e.g. climbing the minarets of the Bab Zuweila.

You can read similar complaints from visitors of many nationalities. It's all too easy to be defensive about Egypt. Take off the rose-coloured glasses, and you perhaps get more out of your visit.

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Reap what you sow, thats what I always say.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.

BENNU
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh

Post by BENNU »

Scottishtourist wrote:What's your point Bennu with your statements?
My "statements" are quotes from the video. I do not see the point myself.
Scottishtourist wrote:Are your "smilies"showing degree of sarcasm?Superiority even?
No.
Scottishtourist wrote: Forgive me..but you appear to be a bit snobbish.As if by living there frequently you know exactly the "lie of the land"and are ridiculing those (American tourists)for their supposed naivety and comments.
Before living there frequently, I knew that the tombs were not painted yesterday. If anyone from a ballon sees me sitting with a cappuccino at sunrise, it does not mean that there is no roof, and if someone has slept on the roof in the heat, it does not mean that they have seen his bedroom or that he shares it with goats. "Roofs are good!" is more snobbish than me quoting those Americans.
Scottishtourist wrote: Or is it the case that they are not so priviledged as you are..and therefore their comments are worthless and unimportant in your view?
If they can travel around the globe, I believe that they are as privileged as I may be. I find them just as important as anyone else, but the fact that they know nothing about what they see does make them unworthy of uploading "information" of Luxor in my view.

Scottishtourist
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

BENNU wrote:
Scottishtourist wrote:What's your point Bennu with your statements?

If they can travel around the globe, I believe that they are as privileged as I may be. I find them just as important as anyone else, but the fact that they know nothing about what they see does make them unworthy of uploading "information" of Luxor in my view.
"Unworthy!!!"
So who are the "worthy"ones?

Enough said...

carrie
Egyptian Pharaoh
Egyptian Pharaoh
United Kingdom

Post by carrie »

I would like to wish everyone a very happy Ramadan. :lol:

Bullet Magnet
Royal V.I.P
Royal V.I.P

Post by Bullet Magnet »

Ramadan Kareem Carrie.... :up
Though our camera loving cousins from 'cross the pond may well want a candy bar with that.. :cg
There's a time for everyone, if they only learn
That the twisting kaleidoscope moves us all in turn.